PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul is expendable

HornetLoveJones
02-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah yeah I know I'm new here but Hornet fans generally piss me off that's why I'm here.

A year ago I would have called this type of thread crazy and called for the op's head on a stick... but I see it clearly now. The future isn't with CP3, it's with a kid named Darren Collison. In a way it's a blessing in disguise. If CP hadn't gotten injured D. Collison would've been riding the pine for who knows how long without seeing his true value as we are now. Look at the stats.

Collison has averaged 23.6 points and 8.7 assists in his last six games, during which the Hornets have gone 4-2 and moved one game behind Portland for the eighth and final playoff berth in the Western Conference—and two games behind San Antonio for seventh.

Paul, who has played in 38 of the Hornets’ 56 games this season, has averaged 20.4 points and 11.2 assists.

I understand having multiple Centers, forwards, or shooting guards that produce at a high level.. but what the hell do we need two point guards for? One is obviously gonna be on the lower end of the minutes or if both plays one will be out of position. I appreciate what Chris Paul has done for this organization, but ever since Byron Scott has been outed as coach he hasn't been the same player mentally. Some defensive assignments this season he's not focused. He puts up the numbers but it seems like he's just moving through the motion. Add that to the injury and the uncertainty.. it's time.

The kid is the future and since there's no expectation to win this year, make it a priority to get some value for CP3, David 'no defense' West, and even bigger piece of crap Peja. It's gonna be a sale this summer and it's time to overhaul this thing. That Denver game should've been a wakeup call but since it changed nothing, keep the course of what you did right this year in drafting Collison and build on that.

D. Collison is the real savior to the Hornets
:lobt:

Isn't that the goal?

Pelicans78
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Hornets are actually 5-7 since CP3 got hurt. Collison's putting up good numbers, but he doesn't run the team as well as CP3. In time, I think Collison will be a great PG and may actually be the full-time starter allowing us to get great value for CP3 if he wants to leave or we could even trade Collison in a couple of seasons.

ChrisRichards
02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
No way doggie. Hornets are a 50+ win team with CP3. With Collison, they are a 41 win team AT BEST.

Darthkiller
02-25-2010, 12:08 PM
chris paul for brandon roy straight up

The Gemini Method
02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Chris Paul for Fisher's Corpse! Just kidding! No way in hell is the guy expendable. If he's out of NO...that would probably eliminate the NBA in The Big Easy...

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
r u on crack?

CP3 is the best PG in the world

lefty
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
CP3's injury is a blessign in disguise

Collison and Thornton have stepped up big; when Chris comes back, Hornets will be deeper

DJ Mbenga
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
bynum for paul

JamStone
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Expendable might not be the right word, but perhaps replaceable is. Collison may never be the PG Chris Paul is, but he seems to be pretty good and a solid enough PG to man the position. With Chris Paul's value, if he could be traded for a star player or two or a star player and draft pick/s, it might be better for the Hornets in the big picture.

One problem is that it's not only about Chris Paul the player. He's also the face of the franchise. Trading him would probably upset many Hornets fans. I don't think it's a wise business decision based on the likelihood of losing a lot ticket sales, at least initially for an already struggling franchise.

j.dizzle
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Fisher for Cp3? lmao at this point I would rather put a scarecrow in the game over Fisher.

JMarkJohns
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
One problem is that it's not only about Chris Paul the player. He's also the face of the franchise. Trading him would probably upset many Hornets fans. I don't think it's a wise business decision based on the likelihood of losing a lot ticket sales, at least initially for an already struggling franchise.

Shinn has never had a problem with this before...

Signed,

Alonzo Mourning
Larry Johnson
Glen Rice
Baron Davis

In all seriousness, Shinn is a cheap bastard who is only willing to spend big money when the team is contending. They are no longer contending. Don't be surprised if Paul is shopped with the emphasis being that whomever acquires him must take West or Okafor (likely the latter). The package could be a nice consolation prize for any team with substantial CAP space/young talent/picks that happens to swing and miss in Free Agency this summer.

With the hearts and minds of Nawlens fans reveling in the Saints, right now is as good a time as any.

Collison's starter numbers are right there with Paul's as a rookie. He doesn't have the ceiling that Paul had, so I expect on marginal improvement, but he's dirt cheap for the production, so I'm with the initial poster. I said this two weeks ago at another NBA forum and got laughed at. Knowing Shinn's history, I think it's likely, not just possible.

Pelicans78
02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
How about Collison/Peja to Memphis for Gay/Conley?

JMarkJohns
02-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Is Memphis under the CAP enough to absorb that hit?

Even in a sign-n-trade with Gay, the salary's won't match.

Now, Paul for Gay/Conley/1sts in a sign-n-trade would work, but that doesn't rid the excess contracts that I imagine is a must for any Paul trade.

I figure Sacramento could get in on this... they are now significantly under the CAP, have a top-10 lotto pick for this year, then another future 1st or Green, can throw in a Thompson or Hawes for Paul/Oakafor.

RedsLakers24
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Chris Paul for Andrew Bynum

pad300
02-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Paul is shopped with the emphasis being that whomever acquires him must take West or Okafor (likely the latter)...

This summer after Jefferson picks up his option and Paul's BYC status expires:

Parker + Jefferson for Okafor + Paul + Julian Wright (to make the salaries work out)

mavs>spurs2
02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
CP3 is about as expendable as the US constitution

phxspurfan
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
We'll give you Parker for him

JMarkJohns
02-25-2010, 03:44 PM
The point isn't that Paul is available to any reasonable package. It's going to take a legit superstar along the lines of LeBron, Melo, Wade, Bosh for Paul to be moved in a player-for-player deal (so Parker/Jefferson isn't going to cut it). The whole notion behind my opinion is that Shinn is cheap and if he can move Paul and Okafor to a team under the CAP while receiving some young, cheap talent in return, whether they be actual players or picks, then he'll think about it. He's not moving Paul just to move him.

Lukor
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
When is Paul coming back from the surgery?It seems like he's been out forever with this one.

pauls931
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Will give you Nash, Barbosa, and Grant Hill for him... Then Dragic will have an adequate backup coming off the bench.

HornetLoveJones
02-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Will give you Nash, Barbosa, and Grant Hill for him... Then Dragic will have an adequate backup coming off the bench.

I hope you gave up on the Suns like I did with the Hornets this season. They're going nowhere and unlike most Suns fans (phxsuns.net) you should know if they couldn't win 2004-2009 what's the point of following a weak Suns team in 2010. Just sayin..

23LeBronJames23
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
How about Mo Williams for CP3? huh

Edward
02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I hope you gave up on the Suns like I did with the Hornets this season. They're going nowhere and unlike most Suns fans (phxsuns.net) you should know if they couldn't win 2004-2009 what's the point of following a weak Suns team in 2010. Just sayin..

You continue to follow a team because you're a true fan numb nuts.

Pelicans78
02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
You continue to follow a team because you're a true fan numb nuts.

This.

redzero
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, except for the fact that the Hornets are losing to teams they should beat, and that lots of that has to do with Collison and his turnovers. Oh, I forgot about the whole "franchise player" thing, and the fact that it might be a bad idea to trade away the face of the franchise.

fevertrees
02-26-2010, 04:19 AM
lol @ putting Collison over CP3 after him starting less than a month

angelbelow
02-26-2010, 04:59 AM
lol

21_Blessings
02-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Collinson is just stat stuffing in a system completely designed around Paul.

If anything his value went up and the Hornets would wise to trade him to get Paul some help. Otherwise there's nothing there keeping Paul from bailing on that shitastic franchise when his contract is up.