PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Tommy wants out...

bus driver
02-25-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/25/colorado.supermax.silverstein.solitary/index.html?hpt=C2

(CNN) -- Tommy Silverstein has been held in solitary confinement for the past 27 years, longer than anyone else in the federal prison system, his lawyers say.
He is locked up at the high-security prison in Florence, Colorado, known as Supermax. The lights are always on. Guards who slip him food through a slot in his cell door usually ignore him. A few times a week, he is permitted to exercise in the recreation room -- alone. Visits with his family and his lawyers are conducted through Plexiglas.
Silverstein's isolation is the result of an unusual no-human-contact order issued by a judge in 1983, after he murdered a guard at the federal prison in Marion, Illinois. Marion was known at the time as the most rigorous confinement in the federal prison system.
Silverstein has referred to his solitary existence as "a slow, constant peeling of the skin."
His attorneys, who are affiliated with the University of Denver, filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Bureau of Prisons in 2007, alleging that the such prison conditions violate the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the Eighth Amendment. The lawsuit, filed in the federal district court of Colorado, is awaiting trial.
At Supermax, Silverstein, 58, practices yoga and meditates in his cell. He might catch an episode of "the Sopranos" or a reality show on the black-and-white TV in his cell. It's his only way to see the outside world.
Recently, he's learned to crochet, and he fills much of his time writing letters.
He has two Web sites being run by advocates and family friends: www.tommysilverstein.bravehost.com and tommysilverstein.blogspot.com.
One of the sites includes examples of Silverstein's prison artwork and writing, providing a glimpse into a life of isolation. Blue-toned drawings show hands trapped behind bars. Black-and-white ones starkly show cage-like conditions.
"It's almost more humane to kill someone immediately than it is to intentionally bury a man alive," he wrote in a 2008 letter to a friend.
Psychologists who have studied the effects of solitary confinement find that the lack of social interaction can cause severe anxiety and depression. Some inmates in solitary have committed suicide. (article continues)

he can get out when he dies......:wakeup

CosmicCowboy
02-25-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/25/colorado.supermax.silverstein.solitary/index.html?hpt=C2
(article continues)

he can get out when he dies......:wakeup

no shit.

give the guy a razor blade so he can off himself.

CosmicCowboy
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
He's lucky he is in fed and not State. He wouldn't have a TV or anything else in his cell if he was in Texas.

thispego
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
"He might catch an episode of "the Sopranos" or a reality show on the black-and-white TV in his cell. It's his only way to see the outside world."

FUCKING RIDICULOUS. DUDE GETS HBO OR WHAT?

Bigzax
02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
27 years in solitary? they should definitely transition him out to whatever the next lower level of security is.

that's fucked up.

thispego
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
dude killed a guard, he cant be trusted, you reap what you sow

panic giraffe
02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
so aside from killing the guard, what was his original crime?

MiamiHeat
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
27 years?

yeah, that's enough. either kill him via death penalty, or put him back with the general population again.

Bigzax
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
but maybe the guard was an asshole and reaped what he sowed.

Ballcox
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
^I believe he originally went in on a 10-15 year sentence for drug/theft type of offense that he had committed with his father. Then, proceeded to kill at least 2-3 inmates at different fed units, eventually killing the guard that got him in solitary for the last 27 years. He's now at the supermax in Colorado along with the unabomber and some other very well known inmates.

chode_regulator
02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
"He might catch an episode of "the Sopranos" or a reality show on the black-and-white TV in his cell. It's his only way to see the outside world."

Damn brah get with the times. Sopranos re runs air on A&E now.

"We can’t execute Silverstein, so we have no choice but to make his life a living hell. Otherwise other inmates will kill guards too. There has to be some supreme punishment. Every convict knows what Silverstein is going through. We want them to realize that if they cross the same line that he did, they will pay a heavy price."
from wikipedia. pretty good argument really.

Silverstein makes a decent argument himself though.

Silverstein also maintains that since he was in USP Marion on a conviction that was later overturned, he should have been released long before, and would never have killed anyone but for this false conviction and the brutality of the prison system

thispego
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
27 years?

yeah, that's enough. either kill him via death penalty, or put him back with the general population again.

rofl, hey, i know 27 years seems like a long time to a little kid, but murder is murder, little guy. You don't need to feel sorry for this person.

thispego
02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Damn brah get with the times. Sopranos re runs air on A&E now.

sarrsly dah? damn i bet edited sopranos is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaal badass

chode_regulator
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM

edited sopranos is better than no sopranos brah...tony says so

thispego
02-25-2010, 06:11 PM
HAHAHAH. sopranos with no byoobs or "fucks!" is no sopranos at all

Shaolin-Style
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd almost feel sorry for him if he weren't a murderer with a tv in his cell.

thispego
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd almost feel sorry for him if he weren't a murderer with a tv in his cell.

with cable!

Duff McCartney
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Yeah right..don't they pass it out on A&E or some crap? I don't even think HBO airs the Sopranos anymore. Unless you got a satellite with 30 HBO channels.

BlackSwordsMan
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM

I watch edited sopranos every day it's still good and when they say whores I think they edit the w and hooorars.

Darrin
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
This definitely describes a violation of the 8th Amendment. What the fuck was that judge thinking?!?