PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parkers new Nickname

Taco
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Because of Tony Parkers inconsistent play I’ve come up with a new nickname for Tony Parker "Box of Chocolates"

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003CXA2.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Forrest Gump: My mama always said Tony Parker was like a Box of Chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

disclaimer
“This thread is meant to be humorous"

LilMissSPURfect
05-01-2005, 12:14 PM
:lol :lol :lol

T Park
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
He had a bad game.

WHat once again you assbrained geniuses forget.

HES TWENTY THREE.

HES GOING TO BE INCONSISTENT AT THAT AGE!!!!

Morons.

PM5K
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Because of Tony Parkers inconsistent play I’ve come up with a new nickname for Tony Parker "Box of Chocolates"

Forrest Gump: My mama always said Tony Parker was like a Box of Chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

LMAO....

stéphane
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
funny but...
He's inconsistent based on whose expectations?

IceColdBrewski
05-01-2005, 12:33 PM
How bout "The Magician" for all the great disappearing acts.

T Park
05-01-2005, 12:35 PM
hahaha.

He could score 20 points in game 4, and where will Brewski be??

"I was at work"

They played good defense on Parker last night, how about giving the Nuggets credit for that?

Of course not...

beirmeistr
05-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Box of Chocolates---godd one. I think Forrest Gump can make better decisions than TP.

IX_Equilibrium
05-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Taco, you're a goofball! :lol

IceColdBrewski
05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
hahaha.

He could score 20 points in game 4, and where will Brewski be??

"I was at work"

They played good defense on Parker last night, how about giving the Nuggets credit for that?

Of course not...

No. I'll still be here saying, "time for Parker to disappear again next game." :rolleyes

beirmeistr
05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
But maybe it should be Box of Chocolat.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Bull Shit. Did anyone forget how inconsistant Parker was when he carried our asses in December? How about the fact that Parker was getting bad calls last night? You guys seem to forget that Parker is great player all the time, maybe you should all STFU because i guarentee you couldn't do half of what he does.

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Of course Brewski.

But, you were suprisingly absent for the games that he played well.

IceColdBrewski
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Bull Shit. Did anyone forget how inconsistant Parker was when he carried our asses in December? How about the fact that Parker was getting bad calls last night? You guys seem to forget that Parker is great player all the time, maybe you should all STFU because i guarentee you couldn't do half of what he does.

This happens every year in the playoffs.

I knew it was coming. That's the really sad part.

boutons
05-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Being inconsistent at the player and team level seems to be the nature of the Popovic Spurs. Spurs shot 38% last night, but 46% for the season.

Look at Tim's performances in these 3 Nuggets games, down, up, down.

Look at the string of great games that Nazr turned in when Rasho went out, now almost invisible.

etc, etc.

I think the Box of Chocolates is funny and not mean, but a little unfair to apply only to Tony.

Spurminator
05-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Every year in the Playoffs, the opposing team has had to effectively change their game plans or matchups to counter Parker. And while it has usually worked, the fact remains that Parker is dangerous enough to warrant those adjustments. And if other players step up in the holes left by those adjustments (like Manu did last night with Buckner taking Parker, and like Hedo did NOT last year when he was left wide open so the Lakers could clog the lane), the Spurs can use those adjustments to their advantage.

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:22 PM
to be the nature of the Popovic Spurs

Sure is.

Them Bob Hill teams were conistently horrible in the playoffs/

But lets bring him back. Cause the offense was GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Every year in the Playoffs, the opposing team has had to effectively change their game plans or matchups to counter Parker. And while it has usually worked, the fact remains that Parker is dangerous enough to warrant those adjustments.

Quit with the facts Spurm.

It pisses off the haters.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
in 2002 against the Lakers, the only game we won was the game the rookie PG Tony Parker went off in.

In 2003 we were like 21-1 in games Parker scored 20 pts. in and in the post season his play got us momentum and won us the Phoenix series, after taking heavy criticism for being outplayed by Starbury, he torched him. Then against the Lakers we only won the games Parker played well in. Against the Mavericks Parker was a man possesed the whole series. In the Finals he had two bad games but 4 great ones, two of which he badly outplayed Jason Kidd in. BTW SJax was more important to the title run the season than Manu.

In 2004, Manu didn't show up in the first or second rounds, but Parker was the best player on the floor for the first 6 games of the playoffs, once the Lakers started body checking him every time he put the ball on the floor we started to lose, and Manu was no where to be seen, Hell Devin Brown was better for us.

I'm not biased, Tony Parker is the most important cog for this team, because he carries us through the playoffs. After Tim Duncan every player on the spurs roster is stoppable, so having parker step up is what makes us so tough to beat. Yes Manu was big last night, but we could never win a championship without Parker, substitute today's Devin Brown with 03's Ginobili and you already have won a championship without Manu.

Taco
05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Sure is.

Them Bob Hill teams were conistently horrible in the playoffs/

But lets bring him back. Cause the offense was GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

T Park
05-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Against the Mavericks Parker was a man possesed the whole series

Dont bring up more facts for geniuses like Taco and Brewski, itll give em headaches.

Manu didn't show up in the first or second rounds

Way, way, WAY the fuck off.

Ginobili was consistently good in ever series.

Mr Dio
05-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I still feel good having him & Beno on the our squad.

JUUOT
05-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I think TP was well defended and some calls could be argue. but contrary to previous years he is more mature and stayed in the game, playiong great defense and still atacking the hole to create space for teamates.

Spurs are such a scary team because we have Three legitimate all stars and a core of role players understanding team basketball and sacrifice. TP manu and Duncan know how they benefit from each other. Monday nuggets are going to focus on manu and TD and parker or maybee only one will take fire. The only team i can see able to respond is detroit

1Parker1
05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Get over it people. Duncan has sucked big time in 2 out of the 3 gamess (and though he may not be 100%, games 1 and 3 were bad even by his standards). Nazr last night, Barry has sucked 2 out of the 3 games, etc.

I love how some people on this forum were all over Parker's nuts after the Warrior's game and during that month in Decemeber where he scored 20+ and 8+ on a regular basis. I'm not gonna deny that he sucked it up big time last night--he was horrible no doubt. It's been a tough series for him and I know he'll snap out of it. The problem is that the next time he goes for 30 points and 7 assists, some people around here still won't give him credit. It's like they are just waiting for him to mess up so they can call him on it and say they were right about him all along.

Every1 has bad games and Tony has a tough job in this series defending Miller and Boykins. All I am saying is wait until we play more than 3 freaking games before comparing him to a freakin box of chocolates!

bigbendbruisebrother
05-01-2005, 02:13 PM
TP wasn't on offensively. If every guy hit it every night, we'd win every game and after about 5 seasons, it would get boring.

Anyway, remember the Clippers/Golden State games. TP struggled at LA while Manu carried us, then TP led the way at GS.

He'll be back.

Hot Karl (he should take over in Clevland so we could call him Hot Karl and Clevland Steamer) will over compensate his d next game to try to stop Manu. TP will light it up (as will Duncan).

Solid D
05-01-2005, 02:13 PM
If you watch Tony all the time you pick certain things up. I've noticed when it looks like Tony is laboring to bring the ball up and enter the offense...almost as though he has a sore groin or hamstring and dragging his legs, he won't be worth much that night. Sometimes, he looks this way in the 2nd half of games and sometimes, he looks that way after the first few minutes. It just depends.

So look out and get ready to see Beno come in when TP starts running like he's trying to run in the shallow end of a a swimming pool.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Maybe we should try bringing all our "starters" off the bench. ;)

Solid D
05-01-2005, 02:19 PM
If you watch Tony all the time you pick certain things up. I've noticed when it looks like Tony is laboring to bring the ball up and enter the offense...almost as though he has a sore groin or hamstring and dragging his legs, he won't be worth much that night. Sometimes, he looks this way in the 2nd half of games and sometimes, he looks that way after the first few minutes. It just depends.

So look out and get ready to see Beno come in when TP starts running like he's trying to run in the shallow end of a a swimming pool.

Is Tony trying to keep the change from flying out of his pocket? Sometimes it sure looks like it.

Taco
05-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Dont bring up more facts for geniuses like Taco and Brewski, itll give em headaches.

Dude Calm down!!! :lol

This thread was all in good fun!!!

Joke: something said or done to provoke laughter

You watch Parker will go for 30 points in game 4 :fro

SpursChampsIII
05-01-2005, 02:56 PM
He had a bad game.

WHat once again you assbrained geniuses forget.

HES TWENTY THREE.

HES GOING TO BE INCONSISTENT AT THAT AGE!!!!

Morons.

23? At what age does he finally get it? 25? 28? That's bullshit. I'm not buying that shit anymore about TP being too young. He is an experienced veteran with a championship ring who needs to step up and tow the line. He needs to be a leader...instead he is too worried about making mistakes. Get the fuck over it and start playing like the veteran you are!!!!!

P.S. I like the hell out of Tony P and I praise him when he does well and get on his ass when he gives a half-ass effort. All I'm saying is that he needs to show up EVERY night in the playoffs...if he's that damn young then give me a 100% for 40+ minutes. I spend my good money and time to support the Spurs, so I'm entitled to complain. When the whole Spurs team fails to show for a game and don't give a shit, we shouldn't give a shit for that game either. The good news is that Denver and their assorted collection of bitches (Karl=head bitch, Martin, and Melo--I won't use Buckner because he's not important) are about to be erased.

smeagol
05-01-2005, 03:01 PM
maybe you should all STFU because i guarentee you couldn't do half of what he does.
Very compelling argument, RtD.

People in this forum can't do half of what any spurs can do.

I need to run, but I will still answer your post about not being biased when talking about Tony. After reading this last one, there is no doubt in my mind you are totally biased. As much biased as the Argies are when talking about Manu.

GoSpurs21
05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
who gives a shit what jackasses like brick and taco and others in this forum have to whine about. fact is the only thing that matters is the Spurs win and continue to improve. the yearly whining from the jackasses is just par for the course.

MeAndBobThrowChairs
05-01-2005, 03:39 PM
ya, we would be better off without him. i hope he gets traded and we get some wonder boy like shane heal as our starter. then we will really be unbeatable.

timvp
05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I wonder if Tony Parker set the world record for travels in a game. He travelled like 15 times, with about a handful of them actually being called.

ALVAREZ6
05-01-2005, 04:03 PM
"Box of Chocolates" :lol :lol

Lady M
05-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Tony never play well in the pepsi center :depressed
he don't like soda :rollin

EasilyAmused
05-01-2005, 05:58 PM

I like Tony but this is funny :lol

Maybe we should try bringing all our "starters" off the bench

The opposing team would be thrown for a loop! :spin

ducks
05-01-2005, 06:11 PM
please get off crack

Taco
05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I like Tony but this is funny :lol

I do too.

I should have put a disclaimer on this thread “This thread was meant to be humorous”:)

I guess there are a lot of people who have no sense of humor. :rolleyes

Slow down Relax and smell the Roses, not Malik Rose (the Malik Rose insertion was meant to be a joke also)

Mouse please pass out your “Herbal” medicine :smokin

Shelly
05-01-2005, 07:26 PM
OMG! Taco never says anything bad about anyone EVER. He's got a great sense of humor. Y'all need to get out of the Spurs forum once in a while and visit The Club. :)

Clandestino
05-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I do too.

I should have put a disclaimer on this thread “This thread was meant to be humorous”:)

Slow down Relax and smell the Roses, not Malik Rose (the Malik Rose insertion was meant to be a joke also)

Mouse please pass out your “Herbal” medicine :smokin
too funny..

EasilyAmused
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I do too.

Taco, I am new so I still don’t know many of the posters or vice-versa BUT I put the disclaimer for my benefit – I didn’t want to be crucified :lol

TwoHandJam
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
If we get nothing else from Glenn Robinson this year we should at least get him to help Tony with his jumpshot like Smitty did when he was here. Dude has the best mechanics and smoothest jumpshot in the league save for perhaps Ray Allen.

Lets face it, Tony's outside shot is his achilles heel. He can score in the paint better than some bigmen but put him at least 15 ft away from the rim and he's horribly inconsistent. The only reason his fg% is so high is from his high percentage layups, not his outside shooting.

Teams know that as long as you're physical with him and keep him out of the paint you have a great chance of shutting him down. If he could be a consistent threat from the outside, he'd be unstoppable. If you crowd him, he'd just blow by you and if you gave him room, he could swish a J in your face.

I remember reading how much he worked on his shot this summer but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have improved at all. The one area I notice he has improved on is his D, which is great, but if he could get a consistent J this would truly elevate his game to the next level.

I don't know about you guys but I'm having nightmares of what Billups will do to this kid if he doesn't get his shit straight - and soon. Billups is no Andre Miller.

CHAMPS AGAIN
05-01-2005, 09:16 PM
you guys are bunch of winers.we win or lose and you all have to bitch about something
I would take PARKER over any point guard to start a team.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
in 2002 against the Lakers, the only game we won was the game the rookie PG Tony Parker went off in.

In 2003 we were like 21-1 in games Parker scored 20 pts. in and in the post season his play got us momentum and won us the Phoenix series, after taking heavy criticism for being outplayed by Starbury, he torched him. Then against the Lakers we only won the games Parker played well in. Against the Mavericks Parker was a man possesed the whole series. In the Finals he had two bad games but 4 great ones, two of which he badly outplayed Jason Kidd in. BTW SJax was more important to the title run the season than Manu.

In 2004, Manu didn't show up in the first or second rounds, but Parker was the best player on the floor for the first 6 games of the playoffs, once the Lakers started body checking him every time he put the ball on the floor we started to lose, and Manu was no where to be seen, Hell Devin Brown was better for us.

I'm not biased, Tony Parker is the most important cog for this team, because he carries us through the playoffs. After Tim Duncan every player on the spurs roster is stoppable, so having parker step up is what makes us so tough to beat. Yes Manu was big last night, but we could never win a championship without Parker, substitute today's Devin Brown with 03's Ginobili and you already have won a championship without Manu.Is comparing Tony to Manu the ONLY way you can think of for proving TP is a good player. Even though I agree that TP is not as inconsistent as people say he is, your take every time someone criticises TP is to bash on Manu!!? They have nothing to do with each other fool, TP can suck without Manu, and Manu can suck without TP. No one said shit about Manu in this thread until you opened your mouth.

Nikos
05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Manu was fine against LA in 2004. Wasn't his place to shine. He played the third option very well. Parker during that series took more shots than Duncan, and kept getting them whether he was hot or not. Manu shot poorly in Game 5-6, but before that he was very good in his shooting. And he didn't exactly play horribly in other areas of Game 5+6.

Devin stepped up most, and Manu did solid but not GREAT. But in terms of regular season vs playoff effort, Manu had a solid series and played better, and Devin improved A LOT. Everyone else played substandard ball compared to their regular season numbers.

Samr
05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
"French Swish"

bigbendbruisebrother
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I've been away all day and was suprised to see the rancor on this thread (although I don't know why I'm suprised; the frequency of skipped messages from ignored sources indicate that T-park has been here. That guy must have liked kicking over ant hills when he was a kid.)

Back to the sniping. We did win last night, didn't we? Was it all just a dream?

Maybe I was trapped in some time warp. Is Pope JP still dead?

CAYANT WAY AWLL JUSSS GIT ALLLOWWNNG? :angel

spursfan05
05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
"that other guy who plays with manu"

CHAMPS AGAIN
05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
I wonder if Tony Parker set the world record for travels in a game. He travelled like 15 times, with about a handful of them actually being called.

that records goes to Kobe,Lebron,T-Mac and lets not forget the big bad wolf SHAQ they all travel more than any SPURS player :lol :lol

stéphane
05-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Traveling is the speciality of the NBA in general dont make me laugh please...
Playing in the NBA = one bonus step

MiNuS
05-02-2005, 12:19 AM
TP is the "switch"

he turns "on" and "off"

He should OWN game 4.
30 points,8 assisits

-+=

spurs_naby20
05-02-2005, 01:47 AM
tony's a good player..

he tries to win the game even without duncan and manu.. before.. remember the game against the warriors

ggoose25
05-02-2005, 01:48 AM
i can live with parker's offensive inconsistencies as long as he continues to play solid defense.

T Park
05-02-2005, 01:55 AM
I don't know about you guys but I'm having nightmares of what Billups will do to this kid if he doesn't get his shit straight - and soon. Billups is no Andre Miller.

Parker has done fine against Billups.

I have confidence he would be fine against Detroit.

I expect more attention will be put on Manu, and less on Parker, so Tony SHOULD have a better game tonight.

IceColdBrewski
05-02-2005, 01:55 AM
i can live with parker's offensive inconsistencies as long as he continues to play solid defense.

Defense alone isn't gonna cut it if you want another Championship. Parker is gonna have to handle up on offense after they're done with the Nuggets.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Well i did notice coming into this season that he seemed to have a real problem finishing with his left hand. He really seems to have worked on that though and I think its helped a lot.

All I think he really needs to work on is his consistency reguarding his aggressivness. There are times when he just will not be denied and then other times when he all but allows the other team to take him out of the game.

I think something could be said about the fact that he had so much success so early/young. Maybe not tons of personel success real early on but plenty of team success. I think for that reason he can really become complacent sometimes if Pop has tailored the game plan around him.

We all know Popp could use some help when it comes to teaching and running the offense but, by now Parker should be accustomed.

With ALL that said, he is just now around the normal average rookie age and is already playing at an almost all-star level. Each year he seems to make large strides. Next year really could be that huge break out year.

IceColdBrewski
05-02-2005, 02:03 AM
With ALL that said, he is just now around the normal average rookie age and is already playing at an almost all-star level. Each year he seems to make large strides. Next year really could be that huge break out year.

According to all the Parker lap dogs, THIS was supposed to be his breakout year. :rolleyes

ggoose25
05-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Defense alone isn't gonna cut it if you want another Championship. Parker is gonna have to handle up on offense after they're done with the Nuggets.

agreed... but as long as Manu is torching people, Parker can afford to have one off one on.

I dont like it and he has to find ways to contribute other than defensively (ast,drive and kick). I just wish he would go two for two at the line for once in a game.

texbumTHElife
05-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Denver has done a damn good job of limiting the drive and kick in this series which is what caused Pop to have to make some real adjustments. Instead of pulling all the bodies in and clogging the lane (ala LA last year) they are just having Camby step up and use his length and athletism to keep Parker in front of him. This is allowing the Thuggets other defenders to stay with the outside shooters.

I have seen Tony pass up some seemingly easy lay up attempts but for the most part I think eh has done a good job taking what they give him. His shot just hasnt been falling consistently. It will come.