PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Jefferson inspired by Ginobili

duncan228
02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Edit: Headline changed.

Spurs' Jefferson inspired by Ginobili (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Jefferson_compares_his_role_to_Ginobilis.htm l)

Spurs' Jefferson compares his role to Ginobili’s (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Jefferson_compares_his_role_to_Ginobilis.htm l)
Mike Monroe

In a season that has produced 19 different Spurs starting lineups, including one that had team captain and two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Tim Duncan coming off the bench, nothing qualifies as a surprise.

For Richard Jefferson, a starter through nearly all of his first eight NBA seasons and a starter in the first 39 Spurs games this season, a recent demotion to the bench is easier to take just by glancing quickly at the locker next to his at the AT&T Center.

It belongs to Manu Ginobili.

“No, it’s not hard at all to accept,” Jefferson said. “I just want to win. You look at a guy like Manu, who’s been All-NBA, one of the best players in this league, and he comes off the bench.

“Starting isn’t a pride thing. I didn’t start (against Oklahoma City on Wednesday), but I was in the game at the very end. That’s been the situation most of these games I haven’t started since the All-Star break. As long as I earn those minutes to be in at the end of the game, I’m happy.”

Indeed, Jefferson was on the floor through the entire fourth period of Wednesday’s victory over the Thunder, logging 31:34 for the game.

Finley’s return: Both feet shoved into a tub of ice water, veteran forward Michael Finley shivered a bit as he discussed equally icy, 0-for-5 shooting in Wednesday’s game against the Thunder.

“Injury-wise, I feel good,” said Finley, whose 21 minutes of action against Oklahoma City was his longest stint since he suffered a grade-two sprain of the left ankle in a Dec. 5 game against Denver. “I’m out of synch, basketball-wise.”

Finley said getting back into a game rhythm has been difficult, since the Spurs rarely scrimmage.

“This was my first real playing since the beginning of December,” he said.

Finley said all four of the 3-point shots he launched against Oklahoma City felt good. He hopes he gets a similar dose of playing time in today’s game in Houston.

“We’ll see,” he said. “But I’ll stay ready.”

No setback: Though he played starting point guard Tony Parker for less than four minutes of Wednesday’s fourth quarter, and just 25:53 of the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the muscle strain in Parker’s left hip was not a factor in limiting his time.

“I don’t think he was a step slow,” Popovich said. “He didn’t have his best night. But, you know, Tony’s ready to go.”

SpurNation
02-25-2010, 10:20 PM
The sad difference is that Ginobili could be an effective starter but relishes any time he gets on the court and in most cases IS a difference maker when on the court.

murpjf88
02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Jefferson can't compare himself in anyway to that of Ginobili except for the fact he's coming off the bench.

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Jefferson's role is more like Finley..

also LOL @ the Spurs rarely scrimmaging..that was the main argument for the excuses as to why Hairston and Ian don't play, that they don't impress in practice..you can't express in practice without scrimmaging, there's nothing else you can do that would catch a coach's eye(not that he doesn't already know what they can bring anyways)..

DAF86
02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Cut RJ some slack, he's saying all the right things and is trying as hard as he can. It's not his fault that his skills-set doesn't really fit our playing style.

BlackSwordsMan
02-25-2010, 11:13 PM
manu with broken ankles?

L.I.T
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
You know, I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of the Spurs chemistry issues are partially a result of them changing a lot of the practice habits to rest the vets. If I remember correctly, didn't they change their practice schedule and also trim it? Limited scrimmages as well...

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Spurs practicing less or less intensively this year than years past?

G-Dawgg
02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Jefferson needs to be allowed to have the ball in his hands more often just like Ginobili..if Popovich ever let's this happen, everybody will then see how valuable to this team RJ is offensively. How can He get used to playing if he's not being utilized to his abilities? His jumper, athleticism, youth, energy -all his skills- are everything that the Spurs need in order to compete with the younger teams, we just need a coach that knows how to utilize these strenths to our team's advantage!!!

TIMMYD!
02-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Jefferson needs to be allowed to have the ball in his hands more often just like Ginobili..if Popovich ever let's this happen, everybody will then see how valuable to this team RJ is offensively. How can He get used to playing if he's not being utilized to his abilities? His jumper, athleticism, youth, energy -all his skills- are everything that the Spurs need in order to compete with the younger teams, we just need a coach that knows how to utilize these strenths to our team's advantage!!!

His jumper does not help us at all, he can't hit any even when completely open.

Sean Cagney
02-25-2010, 11:45 PM

Yeah I have seen that alot, especially in our last game against LA. I swear he was open alot and missed all his wide open 15 footers, it got frustrating.

cd98
02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Ginoboli has missed a lot of open jumpers this year.

Jefferson's offense isn't the problem. If Pop put Jefferson in the low post, he'd be an effective scorer. His problem is defense. Bit is that entirely fair when Pop makes him guard power forwards?

G-Dawgg
02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
He's just got to shoot himself out of a funk. His range is good out to the 3 point line. It's not fair to put all the blame for the spurs lack of success on his shoulders considering he isn't being given an environment to flourish in. If pop were to involve Jefferson in the offensive sets as much as he involved mason last season, then you would see MAD productivity. It almost seems like he's inserted into the game and expected to explode offensively without having having the ball in his hands and not having any plays called for him... Poor coaching.. Take it or leave it, it's the brutal truth.

G-Dawgg
02-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Defensively everybody on this team is brutal, De Juan, Bonner, Bogans, don't single out RJ for poor team defense. Give the coaching staff shit for not doing their job!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2010, 02:01 AM

He's never been a spot up shooter in his life. If all the Spurs were thinking last summer was that they could trade for him, stick him in the corner as a Bowen replacement, and have him average 20 a game from there, they're dumber than I thought.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Glad RJ's head is in the right place, at least. He needs to keep that attitude down the stretch.

spurs10
02-26-2010, 02:38 AM
RJ has been playing with a lot of hustle lately. He's definitely coming around.

lennyalderette
02-26-2010, 03:29 AM
if pop lets manu go when manu wants to stay we should call for him to step down. and im being very serious. tim duncan and ginobili are the heart the main heart of this team when everyone just gives up and steps aside these guys are the true leaders you cant find even if we do get someone just as talented, but are they leaders?

lennyalderette
02-26-2010, 03:33 AM
He's just got to shoot himself out of a funk. His range is good out to the 3 point line. It's not fair to put all the blame for the spurs lack of success on his shoulders considering he isn't being given an environment to flourish in. If pop were to involve Jefferson in the offensive sets as much as he involved mason last season, then you would see MAD productivity. It almost seems like he's inserted into the game and expected to explode offensively without having having the ball in his hands and not having any plays called for him... Poor coaching.. Take it or leave it, it's the brutal truth.

++11111

all season horrid coaching if it were just bad we would have a way better record its like hes trying to keep us from gaining momentum and talent? i want him to be fired already theres no excuse for the things hes doing he is out of line, im sorry if you dont think his plays and lineups are crazy and out right stupid!! then your on the same thing pop is, and theres no goal in mind for his ridiculous actions, he does them out of stubborness. we need to let him go if hes going to destroy the spurs future

lennyalderette
02-26-2010, 03:36 AM
pop should have thought about these players needing plays run for them just like everyone else!! this old farts lost his damn mind!!! were not winning because of him people if you think we are you arent watching his ridiculous lineups

raspsa
02-26-2010, 06:23 AM
I think RJ's game is simply too predictable right now, making it easy for the defense's job easier. Either he takes a perimeter jumper or he's given the ball in isolation where he tends to force the issue. What he really needs is to get the ball in motion and he has a chance to catch the defense on the wrong foot. This require specific plays to be drawn up for him.

#2!
02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Jefferson's offense isn't the problem. If Pop put Jefferson in the low post, he'd be an effective scorer. His problem is defense. Bit is that entirely fair when Pop makes him guard power forwards?

Richard has gotten the ball down in the post enough times this season to know that he cannot operate from that position with any consistency. His playing so much time at the PF spot probably had something to do with trying to get his post game started up, but without any results even Pop has abandoned that strategy.

I don't know if Pop was just flat wrong when he stated that Jefferson had a strong post game, or if it is just another aspect of his failing season.

I think RJ's game is simply too predictable right now, making it easy for the defense's job easier. Either he takes a perimeter jumper or he's given the ball in isolation where he tends to force the issue. What he really needs is to get the ball in motion and he has a chance to catch the defense on the wrong foot. This require specific plays to be drawn up for him.

This, I believe, is the proper way to use Richard in half court sets. Perhaps through back screens, or perhaps multiple screens, but somehow the spurs have to get Richard the ball while he is already in motion. Either going towards the basket for a layup, or passing of to a big or the perimeter, or even out on the perimeter and let him decide to take a rhythm 3, or drive and kick, pull up jumper, or go to the rim.

I think Richard is the kind of player who might like to be challenged on the court physically. Ask him to stay in motion on the offensive end in order to make his defender work, since his defense isn't game changing now anyways, and see if he doesn't end up with more aggression (and all of the perks that go with it) as a result.

exstatic
02-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Jefferson's role is more like Finley..

also LOL @ the Spurs rarely scrimmaging..that was the main argument for the excuses as to why Hairston and Ian don't play, that they don't impress in practice..you can't express in practice without scrimmaging, there's nothing else you can do that would catch a coach's eye(not that he doesn't already know what they can bring anyways)..

Summer League
Training camp
Pre-sesaon

X3

ohmwrecker
02-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I wonder why the title of the article was changed? Is it because a massive amounts of slomo Spurs fans went full retard when they read and misinterpreted the original title without reading and comprehending the intent of the article? Judging from the majority of comments on this thread, I am going to say . . . Yep.

Johnny RIngo
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Cut RJ some slack, he's saying all the right things and is trying as hard as he can. It's not his fault that his skills-set doesn't really fit our playing style.

I think everybody's just pissed that he's getting paid $14 million while playing worse than our sophomore guard. He basically has the same eff as Hill and Blair(10.9) which is unacceptable considering what his expectations were coming into this season.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 05:58 PM
So Pop can't risk games on a seven foot shot blocker that knows the defense and never has to handle the ball to make an impact, but Finley can get heavy minutes when he hasn't played since December.

Baseline
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
So Pop can't risk games on a seven foot shot blocker that knows the defense and never has to handle the ball to make an impact, but Finley can get heavy minutes when he hasn't played since December.

Exactly. Finley isn't even expecting to do anything out there. It's simply beyond comprehension that he gets minutes.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Exactly. Finley isn't even expecting to do anything out there. It's simply beyond comprehension that he gets minutes.

But given the Bogans example, and the Finley example before that, there's plenty of precedent that your production doesn't impact your play unless you're a center or a Slovenian point guard.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Summer League
Training camp
Pre-sesaon

X3

Keith Bogans had one of the worst preseasons in NBA history and he had a role in the rotation right away, even becoming a starter a few weeks into the season..

Maybe Pop does look at those aspects, but it doesn't show when you consider some of the players he has played over the years..

Slippy
02-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Sean made a comment which i thought was right on the money. Jefferson too often settles for the 3 when he's got a defender rotating and running at him. Against the Thunder he mixed it up by attacking and getting a step on his defender. Reward was fouls and freethrows. We all know spotting up really isn't his game so it's up to him to make the right choice in getting the best out of the offense.

Gotta love the willing to do what's required and earning the mins attitude of Jefferson. He's trying , instead of pouting.

silverblackfan
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Sean made a comment which i thought was right on the money. Jefferson too often settles for the 3 when he's got a defender rotating and running at him. Against the Thunder he mixed it up by attacking and getting a step on his defender. Reward was fouls and freethrows We all know spotting up really isn't his game so it's up to him to make right choice in getting the best out of the offense.

Gotta love the willing to do what's required and earning the mins attitude of Jefferson. He's trying , instead of pouting.

I agree about between games he seems pretty upbeat, but we have all seen him hang his head after not getting an open pass. I like the last few games, but I think he needs to be inspired to perform. Luckily, Manu sweats inspiration all over the court every night.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 02:17 AM

Very true.

So I turn on the game and realize that Finley got the start at SF versus Houston, which is even more incomprehensible.

Finley is Pop's crack cocaine. He simply just can't put him down.