PDA

View Full Version : How does Spurstalk afford us?

pauls931
02-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Most sites like this allow free members, but also offer premium memberships(like offering avatars to paying members). Is there a premium one here or is it just everything free for everyone? How do afford to pay for us leeches?

Muser
02-26-2010, 08:31 AM
They pay out their own pockets, that's why they're fucking awesome.

Double-Up
02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
They pay out their own pockets, that's why they're fucking awesome.

Damn, and no advertisements or bullshit either.

DAF86
02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Damn, and no advertisements or bullshit either.

I would really have no problem with Kori and timvp putting some ads in here, they deserve to get a little profit from this IMO.

GuerillaBlack
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I would really have no problem with Kori and timvp putting some ads in here, they deserve to get a little profit from this IMO.

Agreed.

Must be a ton of money to run the forum. The forum software isn't cheap, either.

pauls931
02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Agreed.

Must be a ton of money to run the forum. The forum software isn't cheap, either.

Isn't the software free? (PHP Nuke or whatever), but storage, maintenance, perhaps bandwidth fees would be what costs them.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Sons I'm not gonna lie, if it was my site and it cost me money I'd have advertisements, especially considering the amount of site hits they get. That could lead to a decent ad profit.

nkdlunch
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
having your servers in kazakstan helps

Donkeybong
02-26-2010, 11:23 AM
it's like $150 for the forum software (one time purchase) and if you get a good deal for a site host, maybe $10 to $15 a month.

Cane
02-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Yea this place is about as lenient as it gets whether it comes to trolling or taking up bandwidth.

People have sigs that are loaded with huge pictures, gifs, etc. and all that shit takes up a sizeable amount of space and $$$. Even forums with premium memberships don't have such freedom because its damn expensive.

nkdlunch
02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
it's like $150 for the forum software (one time purchase) and if you get a good deal for a site host, maybe $10 to $15 a month.

lots of free forum software. Not sure if this is one.

But yeah. Cheap to have sites. Hard work is the maintenance, time consuming and as you know time is money. So that is where I thank the site admins. :king

ffadicted
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I wonder how much bandwidth the game threads take up from all the refreshing/posting lol

IronMexican
02-26-2010, 12:05 PM
lots of free forum software. Not sure if this is one.

But yeah. Cheap to have sites. Hard work is the maintenance, time consuming and as you know time is money. So that is where I thank the site admins. :king

Doesn't she also have to pay for a server that can handle about a thousand people during Spurs game days?

balli
02-26-2010, 12:07 PM

this. But like others have said, I wouldn't mind Kori and timvp throwing up an ad banner every so often. I don't know how much this site costs them, but even if it's hosted in the third world, I doubt it's all that cheap.

Kori Ellis
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
it's like $150 for the forum software (one time purchase)

vBulletin has been like $150 per year. The next time we do a forum upgrade (probably this summer), the software will be $250.

and if you get a good deal for a site host, maybe $10 to $15 a month.

:lol I wish.

I haven't checked recently for the exact number but ST gets millions of page views each month. $10-15 hosts are only for basic websites that get thousands of hits. We are running ST on two dedicated servers -- one just handles ST's enormous database. It costs a lot more than $10-15. Try closer to a mortgage payment

Thankfully Slomo and Mitja has helped make everything run smarter or else it would cost even more.

Dex
02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Doesn't she also have to pay for a server that can handle about a thousand people during Spurs game days?

Yeah, but you could buy a Windows, Mac, or Linux Server to host the site, at which point you just need an administrator (which I believe our good friend Slomo handles). Granted, putting money down for a nice server is usually no small investment, but it beats shelling out for monthly service and bandwidth frees from a web provider.

:toast to the Kori and LJ for putting up with the lot of us.

IronMexican
02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
vBulletin has been like $150 per year. The next time we do a forum upgrade (probably this summer), the software will be $250.

I haven't checked recently for the exact number but ST gets millions of page views each month. $10-15 hosts are only for basic websites that get thousands of hits. We are running ST on two dedicated servers -- one just handles ST's enormous database. It costs a lot more than $10-15. Try closer to a mortgage payment

Thankfully Slomo and Mitja has helped make everything run smarter or else it would cost even more.

Damn. Thanks for accepting us:tu

Most Laker sites probably wont accept opposing teams fans.

Goran Dragic
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Try closer to a mortgage payment

:wow

Double-Up
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I doubt this is accurate but - http://www.mywebsiteworth.com/site/www.spurstalk.com

ChrisRichards
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
i love kori eventhough she banned me from creating threads. hey kori, anytime you need a 6'5 irish stud. holler at me gurl.

ffadicted
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM

:wow:wow

You sure you don't want to put some ads up in here? lol

duhoh
02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
god bless america.

thanks kori!

BlackSwordsMan
02-26-2010, 01:29 PM
i'll donate 5$ to kori if she'll let me get a bigger avatar

Donkeybong
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Vbulletin has gotten that much? I remember buying it for $150 with upgrades for 2 years. I used to run a forum with about 300 daily users and over 3000 registered users. Maybe a little less than here. Im pretty sure you don't get any more than 100,000 unique hits a month. I payed $20 a month for a dedicated server and the site ran fine.

I guess prices going up, cuz its been almost 4 years since I did that kind of stuff.

Donkeybong
02-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, didn't realize how many registered users you had. Yah, that explains the need for all that bandwidth.

ChrisRichards
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
i'll donate 5$ to kori if she'll let me get a bigger avatar
id donate $10 right now for a premi membership just for the heck of it. ST is great site compared to sell outs like realgm, basketballboards.net and kome24rapist.com.

ffadicted
02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Who, ST is approaching it's 4,000,000th post too, I wonder who'll get it

mavs>spurs2
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Once my computer hacking skills get good enough, there will be no more spurstalk tbh

Sportcamper
02-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I realize that this forum is ran by great people but people all over the world want to know what Lakers fans are thinking…That in itself is worth a fortune…:chestbump

Double-Up
02-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I realize that this forum is ran by great people but people all over the world want to know what Lakers fans are thinking…That in itself is worth a fortune…:chestbump

:splitter

djohn2oo8
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM

You're not that special

spursncowboys
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Yea this place is about as lenient as it gets whether it comes to trolling or taking up bandwidth.

People have sigs that are loaded with huge pictures, gifs, etc. and all that shit takes up a sizeable amount of space and $$$. Even forums with premium memberships don't have such freedom because its damn expensive.

Yeah that is what I love about this is the lay back attitude. I hate forums that turn into a little inner group who go and talk trash to everyone together.

mavs>spurs2
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Not so much anymore tbh..

R.I.P. Rogue

Sportcamper
02-26-2010, 03:06 PM
The Mighty Lakers & Los Angles ARE special…People all over the world Love Us…

Jeremy
02-26-2010, 03:10 PM
1and1 offers unlimited bandwidth for $3.99 a month. Of course, that's not the same as unlimited web space/storage.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-26-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm sure people in China and Europe wear a Kobe jersey and watch the Lakers because of you.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=1107
Eet's very nice!

Allanon
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM

The forum software is actually the cheap part of it I'm sure. Running servers that can actually handle thousands of posters at once is going to get really hefty.

For example, your basic $10 host can probably handle about 20 people online at once max. To handle just 100 people online; you're probably looking at $100-$150 a month at a quality server company. And y'all have seen the thousand + on this site before; that's some hefty hardware and moolah they're putting out every month.

I'd be perfectly cool if the mods do advertising on this site.

jack sommerset
02-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Who, ST is approaching it's 4,000,000th post too, I wonder who'll get it

Is that accurate? Marcus Bryant has over a million of them.

cobbler
02-26-2010, 07:35 PM
i love kori eventhough she banned me from creating threads. hey kori, anytime you need a 6'5 irish stud. holler at me gurl.

Yeah right. What a total slam on Kori. There is no doubt she has standards and I would imagine one of them would be an IQ above retard level.

That would leave you outside... looking in.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
This site is free?! :wow

Why have i been paying a membership fee to timvp's paypal account!? :drunk

spursncowboys
02-26-2010, 10:26 PM

People who do not love the Lakers:

Lakers' illigitimate children

Woman who don't want loads in their face

Woman in Denver