PDA

View Full Version : Has Pop seen the light?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Even if we lose, I just hope this encourages Pop to play Hairston and Mahinmi much much more. I think the team relies way too much on "veteran savy" and while it is getting late in the season we already know what our main rotation players can do.

I'm OK with the loss as long as this actually changes something with his terrible substitutions

DMX7
02-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree.

Sigz
02-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Doubt it.

Pop is old, has probably developed glaucoma and cataracts. I don't think he can see shit.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
This is the most optimistic I've felt about this team this season. I won't feel better until Bogans isn't starting the next game, though.

Dingle Barry
I'm OK with the loss as long as this actually changes something with his terrible substitutions
Do you mean "if"?

Spurologist
One can only hope. Even if he does play them, it's sad that he has come to this realization this late in the season.

02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
season is over, play the young guys.

HarlemHeat37
A bunch of us have been saying this all season and we saw potential in these guys..yet a highly regarded coach plays scrubs that can barely move instead of them..

If Bogans, Finley and Bonner are playing next game, I don't even know how I'm going to react..

TJastal
It's too late to right this ship this year, sadly. Pop's idiocy has pretty much fucked over this season and next year if Pop learns how to play the most talented players on the squad rather than washed up old scrubs then maybe

Libri
I won't believe it until I see it.

elbamba
not going to happen. Do not expect to see them unless the Spurs are winning by 20 or losing by 20. But if Pop brings back Finley and KB in the starting lineup again, expect to see more 20 point deficits.

roycrikside
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
ARE YOU FUCKING MENTAL?

NO, HE HASN'T "SEEN THE LIGHT."

HE WILL NEVER "SEE THE LIGHT."

60-something year old men aren't capable of learning things or admitting that they're wrong about anything. The Spurs will never contend until he is no longer with the organization, and even by then, it'll be too late because we've wasted Tim and Manu this year basically. Just completely fucking wasted one of the last good years of their careers. It's really almost a crime.

TJastal
02-26-2010, 11:11 PM
So you really don't think Malik could be a 15-20 ppg scorer with a starting role Harlemheat? You think that's overreaching? I think it's very much a possibility

8FOR!3
02-26-2010, 11:11 PM
George Hill
Manu Ginobili
Malik Hairston
Ian Mahinmi
Tim Duncan

Do it Pop. Hell, I won't be mad if you want Ginobili to come off the bench, but assuming Parker's still sick you need to put Hill at point guard and Mason at shooting guard, Mason's got his issues, but besides Ginobili, Hill, and Parker, he's the only guard you can start there that can score.

timtonymanu
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
We're not making it far this year so give Ian and Malik major minutes to see if they are worth resigning next summer and getting them accustomed to the system.

Honestly Pop's lineup is an indication he's tanked. Why not just play the young guys? We got nothing to lose.

pad300
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
No, Pop has not seen the light. He went blind a long time ago

Sign Bogans rather than re-sign Bowen
Resign Finley for 2 years and $5 Million
Nick Van Exel signed & played over Udrih in the playoffs 2006. (Yes, Udrih was not good. Van Exel was MUCH worse)
Vaughn over Hill, Playoffs 2008
Hairston and Mahinmi never getting any development time

Fire Pop

And for a good measure
Bonner over Scola
Jackie Butler over Scola

Hey RC Scola had 13 rebounds tonight. Did he work on that rebounding enough for ya?

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
So you really don't think Malik could be a 15-20 ppg scorer with a starting role Harlemheat? You think that's overreaching? I think it's very much a possibility

I'd be happy with six or seven points, a couple of big defensive plays, some hustle and some aggression going to the hoop and the offensive boards. In short, everything the starting position has lacked all season.

LakerHater
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
If he has, he should go to it!

SenorSpur
I'd like to think that Pop has seen the light, but I've been teased before. I don't look at this as anything more than a one-game aberration. We'll probably not see those young again for the rest of the season.

As a fan, it offends me that Pop keeps running players into the starting lineup and onto the court, when there are clearly better alternatives on the bench.

He'll continue to stick with his veteran-only philosophy because it's proven to be what works best. However, it's quite obvious that now it DOESN'T work.

You keep pounding that rock with the old heads, Pop. And keep sliding right on down in the standings.

pad300

That's a massive overreach. But He's F'ing well better than Finley's Corpse. And Bogans crappy ass. And maybe Mason. And Maybe Jefferson.

So yeah, he should be playing...

Flux451
Too late? Anything can happen. Still time to see if inserting new players in rotation will work. Yall sound like some pessimistic republican pundits.

Stringer_Bell
02-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Do you remember when we had Pops and he was came in during a 20 point blowout by the Cavs? He was hustling, dunking, and rebounding like a beast and the team roared back (I believe Hairston was on the floor then too)...but everyone said his "rotations" and defense just weren't cutting it.

Then recently Bruce Bowen mentions that maybe Ian doesn't get played because his "rotations" and defense just aren't cutting it. But who IS playing good decent defense and able to contribute offensively to make ANY stop worth a damn?

Pop has shown to be timid of playing new guys when it matters most. He gave up on the game, the players didn't because they're so damn hungry to play. Is CIA Pop starving the dogs so that they devour opposing teams until TP, Timmy, and Manu can play BIG again? :hat

Amuseddaysleeper
We did make a lot of mistakes in recent years, but this one correction in playing more youth would be a huge step in the right decision. I would rather Hairston and Mahinmi make mistakes than having Bogans be completely useless for a crucial 25 minutes of the game.

Blair also gets more shafted by the refs than any Spur player I've seen in years.

But then again, the Spurs have barely played enough rookies the past few years to have players who struggle with "rookie calls" :lol

sabar
A bunch of us have been saying this all season and we saw potential in these guys..yet a highly regarded coach plays scrubs that can barely move instead of them..

If Bogans, Finley and Bonner are playing next game, I don't even know how I'm going to react..

With a meltdown like the entire forum come next game. You already know who Pop is going to play.

Originally Posted by TJastal http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4119213#post4119213)

That's just silly. He is a 6-10 ppg guy. The real thing that he brings is hustle and defense, which this team has none of. There aren't nearly enough shots for 20 ppg unless we play Jefferson 0 minutes.

spurs1990
02-26-2010, 11:18 PM
George Hill
Manu Ginobili
Malik Hairston
Ian Mahinmi
Tim Duncan

Do it Pop. Hell, I won't be mad if you want Ginobili to come off the bench, but assuming Parker's still sick you need to put Hill at point guard and Mason at shooting guard, Mason's got his issues, but besides Ginobili, Hill, and Parker, he's the only guard you can start there that can score.

+1

So of the 13 guys we have, I'd like to see Bogans, Finley, McDyess, and Bonner as the last 4 to play.

9 man rotation once Parker returns:

Starters:

Parker
Hill
Hairston
Duncan
Mahinmi

Bench:

Ginobili
Mason
Jefferson
Blair

Talent, scoring, youth, potent bench, all surrounding our big 3 whose minutes should be rationed. Get into the playoffs with the lower seed, and then extend minutes for them.

As far as what the OP asked, could it be that Pop is too proud to admit his folly by giving more PT to Malik and Ian?

Flux451
02-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Let's hope Pop plays the rest of the season with the same carefree attitude of the last half of this game. Hairston and Mahimi stood out as pieces we need in SPurs rotation. Bogans didn't do shit, Fin didn't either, Bonner...A red-headed mannequin on roller bladers could have done more.

Pop...Please...I have a gun...its pointed at a cute kitten named Snuggles...please play these athletic guys...or BANG!

dbestpro
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Would like to see to start Ian, Duncan, Manu, Hill and Parker with bench rotation of Blair, Dice, Mason and Hairston.

Finley, Bogans, and Bonner should only see the floor when we have a 30 point lead.

timtonymanu
02-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Bonner/Finley/Bogans need a DNP-CD for the rest of the year.

Give their minutes to Ian/Malik/Mason. Yes I would keep Mason in the rotation because at least he can shoot the best out of BFB.

Capt Bringdown
02-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Pop, Dice, Bonner, Bogans, Finley = a cancer that is eating the Spurs alive.

Flux451
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Bonner/Finley/Bogans need a DNP-CD for the rest of the year.

Give their minutes to Ian/Malik/Mason. Yes I would keep Mason in the rotation because at least he can shoot the best out of BFB.

I love the acronym BFB as the three headed monster Bonner/Finely/Bogans.
Can we now refer to them as BFB since "with there powers combined," they form a giant black hole of basketball suckness.

silverblk mystix
02-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Fuck Pop, Fuck Finley & Fuck Tony Brothers

Obstructed_View
02-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Well, before some of you get too excited, there was a Spurs game in Houston a few years ago where the Spurs were down by double digits and were brought back for the victory due to an amazing performance by.....

BENO UDRIH.

I was at that game, and he was great. I don't think he got out of the doghouse even after that performance, mainly because he couldn't go the rest of the season without a turnover.

Chomag
02-26-2010, 11:31 PM

thats probebly asking to much but he might be doing those numbers had he been with this team getting minutes on day 1.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Definitely not, he's not that type of player at all..

He doesn't have the size to make up for his lack of a great handle..he's improved his ball-handling a lot, but it's not reliable enough for him to be a big scorer in the NBA..his jump shot has significantly improved too, but it's not good enough for him to be a consistent scorer..

I think he can be a stopper that can mix in some offense though, and that would be a huge plus for the Spurs..he has 38" vertical, he's deceptively quick for his size, he's aggressive and has a good basketball IQ, he's tough..he has all the traits of a potential great role player, nothing more than that..

dbestpro
02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Spur fans are not spoiled as so many like to say. We lost tonight but there was a lot of pride in watching the young guys bring effort and energy into the game. The first half was as bad as it gets while the second half was as good as it gets and Pop did not get in the way. Finally, got to watch some Spurs ball with some enthusiasm. Now, if Pop will just mix the young guns with the quality playing vets we might actually give somebody some trouble come playoff time.

timtonymanu
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM

He doesn't have the size to make up for his lack of a great handle..he's improved his ball-handling a lot, but it's not reliable enough for him to be a big scorer in the NBA..his jump shot has significantly improved too, but it's not good enough for him to be a consistent scorer..

I think he can be a stopper that can mix in some offense though, and that would be a huge plus for the Spurs..he has 38" vertical, he's deceptively quick for his size, he's aggressive and has a good basketball IQ, he's tough..he has all the traits of a potential great role player, nothing more than that..

exactly. Malik doesnt need to be a scorer. But if Bogans is the defensive stopper for the Spurs, then Malik should take his spot. Malik can take the role as the defensive wing sort of like Thabo Sefalosha or even Afflalo.

SenorSpur
02-26-2010, 11:41 PM
It's amazing the energy boost and lift that these guys infused into the team. The reserve squad had no trouble matching the energy and quickness of the Rockets.

ace3g
02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
best thing about this over other comebacks in blowouts with young players is that the rockets had many of their starters still in the game

AFBlue
02-26-2010, 11:45 PM
No

Johnny RIngo
02-27-2010, 12:17 AM
No, Pop has not seen the light. He went blind a long time ago

Sign Bogans rather than re-sign Bowen
Resign Finley for 2 years and $5 Million
Nick Van Exel signed & played over Udrih in the playoffs 2006. (Yes, Udrih was not good. Van Exel was MUCH worse)
Vaughn over Hill, Playoffs 2008
Hairston and Mahinmi never getting any development time

Fire Pop

And for a good measure
Bonner over Scola
Jackie Butler over Scola

Hey RC Scola had 13 rebounds tonight. Did he work on that rebounding enough for ya?

Seems like the organization went full retard somewhere around '06/'07.

ulosturedge
02-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Pop is scared he is going to ruin the chemistry if he throws Ian and Malik into the rotation. Yeah i'm scratching my head too..what fucking chemistry? Throwing the youth in can only make them better at this point not worse. Our defense is atrocious and its not because people are missing rotations, it's because our old ass players can't keep up with anyone anymore and they end up giving up an easy bucket or sending them to the foul line every time. And honestly i'm really getting tired of seeing it happen.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Pop is scared he is going to ruin the chemistry if he throws Ian and Malik into the rotation. Yeah i'm scratching my head too..what fucking chemistry? Throwing the youth in can only make them better at this point not worse. Our defense is atrocious and its not because people are missing rotations, it's because our old ass players can't keep up with anyone anymore and they end up giving up an easy bucket or sending them to the foul line every time. And honestly i'm really getting tired of seeing it happen.

Exactly. When you have no chemistry and no talent, what's the harm of subbing in some talent?

taps
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
..the Spurs have barely played enough rookies the past few years to have players who struggle with "rookie calls" :lol

:lol blair's really taking it on the chin for karma, then. add in the blair-hill spur snub @ the rookie game and i say san antonio have paid some outstanding balances in 2010

AusSpursFan
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
we can all live in hope

MarCowMar
02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
I loved having Ian, Blair, Hill, and Hairston in the game. They clearly appreciate the time and play with so much more energy than the vets. In fact I think they even got Jefferson excited about playing and acting as a leader.

We may have lost, but I enjoyed how Pop coached the game. He let Blair play through his fouls. Ian and Hill and Hairston trapping at half court is awesome. He let players work through their mistakes instead of jerking them around. The team played with intensity instead of frustration and surliness.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I loved having Ian, Blair, Hill, and Hairston in the game. They clearly appreciate the time and play with so much more energy than the vets. In fact I think they even got Jefferson excited about playing and acting as a leader.

We may have lost, but I enjoyed how Pop coached the game. He let Blair play through his fouls. Ian and Hill and Hairston trapping at half court is awesome. He let players work through their mistakes instead of jerking them around. The team played with intensity instead of frustration and surliness.

I'm worried that this game will be the only and last time I felt good about the Spurs after about the third week of the 09-10 season.

barbacoataco
02-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I think the Spurs are paying the price now for staying with the vets too long.

They can't realistically have 3 rookies (Blair, Mahinmi and Hairston) in the 9 man rotation and expect to compete for a championship. I doubt that has ever been done. Add in that Jefferson and Mcdyess are 1st year Spurs and you have too many players learning to play together all at one time.

itzsoweezee
02-27-2010, 12:57 AM
come on, you know pop only played those guys in hopes that they'd fail.

Xevious
02-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Wishful thinking.

The only reason these guys saw the floor is because the team was down by a thousand points. The only reason they stayed in the game was because Pop had given up. They'll be back at the end of the bench waiting for garbage minutes next game.

poop
02-27-2010, 01:05 AM
it was hilarious to see, as soon as mahinmi goes in he stuffed the shit out of some rockets player's shot, he was patrolling the paint like a Center is supposed to do,he and Malik bringing energy and rebounds and turning the game around.
just like many of us have been saying for 2 seasons now.
but hey, pop has 4 rings so what do we know? pop is smarter than all of us internet coaches so if we cant see that the Bonner-finley-bogans lineup is the best, its only because we are all retarded.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 01:05 AM

They can't realistically have 3 rookies (Blair, Mahinmi and Hairston) in the 9 man rotation and expect to compete for a championship. I doubt that has ever been done. Add in that Jefferson and Mcdyess are 1st year Spurs and you have too many players learning to play together all at one time.

Mahinmi and Hairston aren't rookies. The fact is they know the system far better, and have since camp, than the guys who have shit this season away.

gospursgojas
02-27-2010, 01:20 AM
I highly doubt ian and malik see the floor Sunday.... just the way pop is.

Bogans is a complete waste. He would be on the end of the net's bench if it wasn't for pop. Hell he hardly played last season on the bucks!

I called out ian earlier for sucking and not only do I not mind being wrong, I'm glad I am.

Too bad pop isn't as humble as I or else we would have seen malik and or ian way earlier.

Its gonna suck on Sunday around 3 when we're in here complaining about another spurs lose and ian and malik never sniffin the court, bogans with 30 mins

all_heart
02-27-2010, 01:22 AM
I at least hope it's the end of Finley, the guy hasn't been even a shadow of himself since his injury, which wasn't very good to begin with. Tim looked EXTREMELY frustrated in post game interview. Pop looks like he's about to lose his mind sometimes. In all honesty the chances of the Spurs making it to the WCF much less the Finals is a long shot. Even a longer shot with Pop playing Bogans and Finley. So might as well play Hairston and Ian. I do appreciate Bonner getting much fewer minutes overall lately. I've also noticed Bogans plays better at home than on the road. Still isn't good enough.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Well that was probably the last hurrah for Ian as a Spur and the last time I feel good about the Spurs this season. Glad I got home to listen to it. Had a good time talking about it too.

barbacoataco
02-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Mahinmi and Hairston aren't rookies. The fact is they know the system far better, and have since camp, than the guys who have shit this season away.

I had always thought they would want to show off the Toros' usefulness by integrating mahinmi and/or hairston into the team. I mean, what is the point of the Toros if Mahinmi and Hairston are not put to use?

ElNono
02-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Even if we lose, I just hope this encourages Pop to play Hairston and Mahinmi much much more. I think the team relies way too much on "veteran savy" and while it is getting late in the season we already know what our main rotation players can do.

We'll see Sunday... Although I fully expect nothing to change...

crc21209
02-27-2010, 01:32 AM
It's so obvious that Hairston should be getting minutes over Bogans/Finley and Mahinmi getting minutes over Bonner...so why doesnt Pop see it damn it? :td

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 02:12 AM
The problem is it's hard to tell what the hell management is trying to do this season. They gave away Theo Ratliff, so clearly they feel they will never compete with the Lakers, yet they didn't even attempt to get young players who can contribute right away or even build on for the future.

So while on one hand it's great to see the young guns get playing time, it kind of feels like Pop wouldn't be willing to try giving them a bigger role this late in the season. The "system" the Spurs use is broken right now because the personnel just sucks.

Sometimes you just gotta do what works, instead of force feeding a flawed method to unwilling participants. The switch isn't going to magically turn on, and it'd be a shame that this is what Duncan's sacificed paycheck has turned in to.

Doe
02-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Doubt Pop has "seen the light". After Martin had ass raped Bogans for the last time and he was pulled out of the game, I saw Pop coaching Bogans on the sidelines. That didn't look indicative of player that will be dog housed anytime soon.

The funny thing about all of this is, we won the last game with Bogans and Finley playing. People were joking that Pop might attribute that win to those two and we all know who joined Jacque Bogans in the starting line up tonight.

I somehow doubt any of the young guys responsible for today's near comeback will receive similar treatment. I would love to eat crow for saying this though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2010, 02:43 AM
It's too much to ask for as Pop is too stubborn, but he should take the minutes he'd be giving Fin and Bogans and give them to Malik.

Sean Cagney
02-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Nope, this fukkin clown will start Bonner or Bogans or Finley next game! He is that dumb now.

I am sick of his fukkin azz, seriously I am sick of Pop and his bullshyt fukkin rotations here! He has lost his damn mind, period.

Borosai
02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Doubt it. Unless Pop's wearing a headlamp, he won't see anything considering where his head is.

He started Bogans and Finley. Right. The guy is stuck in his ways.

Slippy
02-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Even if pop sees the light in playing the youngsters , it wont matter too much in the over-all context of the game . When you have Finley starting with regular mins, the spurs will always be playing catch-up.

Ibanezsr
02-27-2010, 05:22 AM

That's funny... You just described George Hill from last year... And Hill is showing that he can put up the numbers. I don't think Hairston has had consistent enough time for you to say that. I am not saying that he can but I think the man deserves a decent chance before I start knocking his capabilities.

200 miles
02-27-2010, 05:39 AM
That's funny... You just described George Hill from last year... And Hill is showing that he can put up the numbers. I don't think Hairston has had consistent enough time for you to say that. I am not saying that he can but I think the man deserves a decent chance before I start knocking his capabilities.

+1

I could see him start at SG next year, provided if Pop gets his head out of his ass.

spursrocks
02-27-2010, 06:01 AM
forget it, poopoobitch wont play hairston and mahinmi..
as long as poopoopbitch is the coach, our starting line will still compose of the bogners and jurassic Fin.

objective
02-27-2010, 06:04 AM
I've never been too high on Hairston's ceiling, but people can check the record of my posts and find that I've advocated starting Hairston since before the season even started.

Bogans is just too awful to play regular minutes, let alone start. And Finley . . . dear lord, dear lord.

Xevious
02-27-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm gonna laugh (then cry) so hard when the starting lineup of the Phoenix game is:

Parker
Bogans
Finley
Bonner
Duncan

Bruno
02-27-2010, 06:39 AM
For years, Pop's speech has been "you get the playing time you deserve". He never promised starting jobs and never guaranteed some playing time to players.

It Malik and Ian are the ones who deserve playing time, they should get it. They will do some "rookie" mistakes at first but it will settle down with some time.

And I continue to be damn surprised to see Bonner being that deep in the doghouse. It could be Ian's chance to get some minutes and it's very important for him. Ian needs to draw the attention of other NBA teams to stay in the NBA after this season.

easy7
02-27-2010, 08:48 AM
If by "the light" you mean starting Bogans and Finley, I would say yes.

Old School 44
02-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I like Pop, but his decisions this year have been suspect.
I hope he's seen the light. He either needs to change or step down. I'm still hoping for the former. If he keeps going the route he's going, it will diminish his legacy.
And contrary to his outward "get over yourself" mantra, I think it matters to him.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM

Damn right! :tu

The state of this roster and the fact that, on most nights, the Spurs often fail to match up with the quickness, talent and athleticism of the opposition is the clearly fault of Pop.

With the exception of Manu, both Hill and Blair have consistently given the most effort, energy and production - not the mention they're the only 2 Spurs to have played in every game.

Youth and energy isn't always as bad as Pop seems to think it is. Imagine how much better the Spurs would be if Ian and Malik were regular rotation contributors over the Bonner & Finley/Bogans triumverate.

venitian navigator
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Damn right! :tu

The state of this roster and the fact that, on most nights, the Spurs often fail to match up with the quickness, talent and athleticism of the opposition is the clearly fault of Pop.

With the exception of Manu, both Hill and Blair have consistently given the most effort, energy and production - not the mention they're the only 2 Spurs to have played in every game.

Youth and energy isn't always as bad as Pop seems to think it is. Imagine how much better the Spurs would be if Ian and Malik were regular rotation contributors over the Bonner & Finley/Bogans triumverate.

I completely agree.
And, given that Hairston is under contract next year (team option) I really see no reason to not let him play more minutes...for Ian, I can understand just because he will be an UFA.
I will never undestand why lest season Ian he was considered a potential rotation player (and didn't play just because of his weird injury) and this season the team didn't exercise the option.
Imho, however, just for the little thinghs we sow of him, he could well deserve a new contract for next year...

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
For years, Pop's speech has been "you get the playing time you deserve". He never promised starting jobs and never guaranteed some playing time to players.

It Malik and Ian are the ones who deserve playing time, they should get it. They will do some "rookie" mistakes at first but it will settle down with some time.

And I continue to be damn surprised to see Bonner being that deep in the doghouse. It could be Ian's chance to get some minutes and it's very important for him. Ian needs to draw the attention of other NBA teams to stay in the NBA after this season.

I absolutely guarantee you several teams wrote him on their board after the New Jersey game. Popsuckers might have written it off, but NBA front offices did not. Barring some sort of injury, there's no way Mahinmi isn't on an NBA roster next season.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I absolutely guarantee you several teams wrote him on their board after the New Jersey game. Popsuckers might have written it off, but NBA front offices did not. Barring some sort of injury, there's no way Mahinmi isn't on an NBA roster next season.

The problem is the roster that needs him most is the one that drafted him. Irregardless of what happens next year with Splitter, that should not, in any way, factor into the decision on Ian. The fact remains that, outside of Duncan, the Spurs have very little skill level along the frontline. Duncan's play is suffering because he has to continue to carry the lionshare of rebounding, defense and scoring from game to game. It amazes me the Pop and his crew don't acknowledge this. It's probably no big deal to Pop because of his love affair with small-ball.

That said, the Spurs are in no position to dump a young, athletic frontline center, who can provide that sort of paint presence on both ends of the court. A center, and former first-round pick, that they've invested 5 years in.

There's no question that Ian will be in the NBA next season. Since, they were stupid enough NOT to pickup his option, I'm anxious to see if the Spurs compund that mistake by being stupid enough to allow him to walk.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Look, to those that feel the need to mock us with "Malik or, Ian the saviour LOL" None of has said that inserting these guys will win the championship but it will provide a positive lift going forward to an otherwise dismal season.

benefactor
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
We'll see Sunday... Although I fully expect nothing to change...
:tu

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd MUCH rather lose in the playoffs with Ian and Hairson getting the bulk of the minutes, than having a BBF combo giving us a -20 on the court night in and night out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I've never been too high on Hairston's ceiling, but people can check the record of my posts and find that I've advocated starting Hairston since before the season even started.

Bogans is just too awful to play regular minutes, let alone start. And Finley . . . dear lord, dear lord.

Hairston may not have that high of a ceiling, but I suspect it's higher than the ceilings of either Finley or Bogans. And that's what's important right now.

benefactor
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd MUCH rather miss the playoffs with Ian and Hairson getting the bulk of the minutes, than having a BBF combo giving us a -20 on the court night in and night out.
fify

Brazil
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
George Hill
Manu Ginobili
Malik Hairston
Ian Mahinmi
Tim Duncan

Ian cannot be in the starting lineup, he will be fouled out in 10 minutes. He will be easier for him coming off the bench against the opponent second units.

benefactor
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Hairston may not have that high of a ceiling, but I suspect it's higher than the ceilings of either Finley or Bogans. And that's what's important right now.
If we are talking about this (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/finlemi01/gamelog/2000/) Finley, then we are probably being unrealistic.

Brazil
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Wishful thinking.

The only reason these guys saw the floor is because the team was down by a thousand points. The only reason they stayed in the game was because Pop had given up. They'll be back at the end of the bench waiting for garbage minutes next game.

exactly

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 01:14 PM
What's amazing about Pop is ever since 2008, he manages to be the only coach in the league who gives players that shouldn't even be in the NBA at this point, significant minutes.

He did it with Vaughan (granted, Jacque had his share of DNP's, but I remember a lot of people being up in arms over his playing time even if he did steady the ship), he did it with a washed up Udoka, and now we have Bogans.

As a matter of fact, I think Bogans is this year's Udoka. Their respective Spurs careers seem to parallel each other. Both had a good stretch of games earlier in the season, went into Pop's doghouse, and then proceeded to stink it up the closer we get to playoff time while getting 20+ minutes.

And I'm willing to sacrifice offense for defense, because the Spurs of old use to be able to afford scoring droughts since their D would keep them in the game long enough that when the offense finally got back in sync they could retake the game towards the end.

This year the offense has absolutely hit the tank after a solid first couple of months, and to make matters worse, the defense has been terrible. It's not like we've got 8 seconds or less Suns offense but no defense, so we can win against the inferior defensive teams. This team just really sucks at both offense and defense, and we have the Bogans/Finley/Bonner combo to thank for this.

At least Bonner rotates well.....half the time.

DPG21920
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Eg8cDmi7-U8

boutons_deux
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Corporate knowledge (a stupid phrase anyway) is fricking useless when it produces 0 pts, 0 rbs, 0 asts.

With Spurs heading for the lottery, what has Pop got to lose playing Malik and Ian more? even starting them.

That's an "experiment" that The Mad Experimenter has been avoiding.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Corporate knowledge (a stupid phrase anyway) is fricking useless when it produces 0 pts, 0 rbs, 0 asts.

With Spurs heading for the lottery, what has Pop got to lose playing Malik and Ian more? even starting them.

That's an "experiment" that The Mad Experimenter has been avoiding.

Here's what'll happen:

Spurs make the playoffs and are down to the Nuggets 3-1 in the series.

Pop finally decides to give Hairston solid playing time and the Spurs lose game 5 94-89.

We can thank Bogans for games 1-4.

elbamba
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM

He is Devin Brown with more speed and athleticism. He could be a 7-10 ppg player that plays strong defense. He has the lateral quickness that Finley had 6 years ago. Maybe even a little more. He is not Bowen, but he would be a better defender given playing time than the overrated Bogans.

And he can drive to the basket and make a layup.

boutons_deux
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
What about Malik's quickness in driving last night, and finishing?

Do that enough, and He Don't Need No Stinking Jump Shots.

And what about the play where Malik was all over the offensive guy's drive who through up crazy shot that Ian blocked. Ain't no two guys in Pop's starters can pull that off.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
That save Malik had that I believe led to a 3 ball from Hill was a thing of beauty. The only player on the roster capable of that was Manu Ginobili. Outside of Manu, this team has only one energy/hustle guy and that's Blair. Hairston has a knack for loose balls and making things happen.

It sucks that the Spurs O is so predicated on spacing the floor with jumpshots when our team has a non existent perimeter game the past few months. I LOVED all the slashing to the basket. If Hairston can't hit a jumpshot to save his life who cares, this team is full of way too many jumpshooters. I want free throws and fouls and hard drives to the basket. If anything, all the slashing will lead to even more open space for the outside shooters.

TJastal
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
That save Malik had that I believe led to a 3 ball from Hill was a thing of beauty. The only player on the roster capable of that was Manu Ginobili. Outside of Manu, this team has only one energy/hustle guy and that's Blair. Hairston has a knack for loose balls and making things happen.

It sucks that the Spurs O is so predicated on spacing the floor with jumpshots when our team has a non existent perimeter game the past few months. I LOVED all the slashing to the basket. If Hairston can't hit a jumpshot to save his life who cares, this team is full of way too many jumpshooters. I want free throws and fouls and hard drives to the basket. If anything, all the slashing will lead to even more open space for the outside shooters.

But...

Hairston HAS to space the floor by shooting 3 pointers otherwise he can't play for the spurs. Don't believe me? It's in the Popalogist handbook, section 43, paragraph 5 look it up.

:downspin:

Chomag
02-27-2010, 01:48 PM

But...but he doesn't spread the floor! Ummm,a slasher also has the ability to draw the defencive attention to him leaving others for wide open shots or a dunk/lay-up on the weakside.

IMO a slasher has more ability to attack a defence far more then a jjump shoter does. Sure you need a couple of jump shooters on the floor but having over 3 jump shooters on the floor at the same time is rather redundent and easy to defend reguardless how much it's supposed to spread the floor.

Thing is we have way to many 1 trick pony's out there at the same time. We either have guys that can only shoot jump shots and jump shots only. IT would be nice to put a bit more deversity out there. Sure a slasher such as MAlik will never shot jump shots like a pure shooter but if he can consistantly make a decent jump shot when open along with his driving, that would be a hell of a lot better then just having a pure jump shooter.

It's called a balanced attack. Spurs O seems to like to run lopsided

Chomag
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
But...

Hairston HAS to space the floor by shooting 3 pointers otherwise he can't play for the spurs. Don't believe me? It's in the Popalogist handbook, section 43, paragraph 5 look it up.

:downspin:

haha yep, thats what I was saying in the game thread last night. "Hairston isn't chunking 3s yank him!"

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
The problem is the roster that needs him most is the one that drafted him. Irregardless of what happens next year with Splitter, that should not, in any way, factor into the decision on Ian. The fact remains that, outside of Duncan, the Spurs have very little skill level along the frontline. Duncan's play is suffering because he has to continue to carry the lionshare of rebounding, defense and scoring from game to game. It amazes me the Pop and his crew don't acknowledge this. It's probably no big deal to Pop because of his love affair with small-ball.

That said, the Spurs are in no position to dump a young, athletic frontline center, who can provide that sort of paint presence on both ends of the court. A center, and former first-round pick, that they've invested 5 years in.

There's no question that Ian will be in the NBA next season. Since, they were stupid enough NOT to pickup his option, I'm anxious to see if the Spurs compund that mistake by being stupid enough to allow him to walk.

Unless I'm wildly mistaken, the Spurs have absolutely no say in the matter. They have no way to retain him or to keep him from going. They can't offer him more money than anyone else can. He was gone like Donkey Kong the second they didn't pick up his option.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 02:11 PM

The slashing also leads to easy putbacks. When you've got a guy like Blair in the game, the best thing you can do for your team is to shoot inside, because he's going to be able to get his hands on a lot of misses. Long range misses typically don't drop to the guys standing under the basket.

TD 21
02-27-2010, 02:42 PM

I know how I'll act...without the slightest bit of surprise. Here's how I think it will play out: Hairston active; Mahinmi not active. Bonner and Finley not in the regular rotation until/unless the Suns begin to runaway with it and Pop just empties the bench. Hairston with a brief first half appearance, then if the Spurs are leading/close in the second half, he inexplicably won't play again.

As an aside, I have to think a lot of players on this team are pissed off with this coach. The insane (starting) lineups, the constantly, drastically changing of the rotation, the (Blair alluded to this at All-Star weekend) his playing minimal minutes despite his excellent per minute production, Hairston/Mahinmi not playing over Bogans/Bonner/Finley, even though it's painfully obvious that they should be, the playing ridiculously small, a lot of the time when the situation doesn't call for it. In particular, Jefferson, Blair, Mason and Mahinmi have to be frustrated/furious with this senile old man.

wildbill2u
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Actually you can't say Pop is hidebound about his starting lineups. He's willing to experiment, but not with any experiments that give most of the fans what they think should be done.

This is the 20th different starting experiment this season--and featured three starters who gave us NOTHING>

You could say he's had a good look at those three in different lineups this year, but never together.

His goal seems to be discovering the absolutely worst starting lineup we can field while keeping Tim as one of the five.

Of course, any one of us could have given that info to him but he has to prove it on the court. Must be some kind of game he plays with himself.

Russ
02-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Hope springs eternal.

I like Bogans a lot more than most here and I think he can contribute in a high-level rotation.

Mahinmi and Hairston could also be nice contributors. It's a good sign that Pop is beginning to use them, even in garbage time. That's a first step.

The talent is there -- much more than last year or even '08. Especially if Ginobili (and now Parker) are healthy.

But Bonner . . . Please Pop . . .

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Unless I'm wildly mistaken, the Spurs have absolutely no say in the matter. They have no way to retain him or to keep him from going. They can't offer him more money than anyone else can. He was gone like Donkey Kong the second they didn't pick up his option.

I guess the only thing they can hope for now is that he likes the club enough to resign. The only saving grace will be a very tight economic market on NBA salaries and a well-stocked free agent class of superstars. There will be few teams with money and those that have it will have a lot of it.

If Ian does bolt, this would make the decision NOT to pick up his option, one of the most bone-headed decision this regime ever made.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I guess the only thing they can hope for now is that he likes the club enough to resign. The only saving grace will be a very tight economic market on NBA salaries and a well-stocked free agent class of superstars. There will be few teams with money and those that have it will have a lot of it.

If Ian does bolt, this would make the decision NOT to pick up his option, one of the most bone-headed decision this regime ever made.

Which is another issue this team is going to face. If they end up going out in round 1, why the hell would Ginobili want to come back? Ian I could understand, but then again, I'm sure he'd rather go to a lottery team that can guarantee him minutes instead of being jerked around by Pop.

For all this talk about rebuilding around the Big 3, it wouldn't surprise me if half the players would rather just leave the Spurs altogether than stick around on a sinking (or already sunken) ship.

timaios
02-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Why would Ian Mahinmi stay with the Spurs when Pop has absolutely no faith in him. He doesn't play.
2 years ago he was great in NBDL but Pop didn't gave him a chance.
Last year, that misdiagnosed injury by the Spurs' medical staff fucked his entire season.
And this year, he's healthy, the Spurs need an athletic shotblocker and defender and... he doesn't play.

Ian is 23 now, and he wants to play. 2 years without playing is enough.
Next year he will be in another uniform. If not in NBA, it will be in Europe.

The only chance to see him in a Spurs uniform next year is that Pop starts to play him a little right now.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Why would Ian Mahinmi stay with the Spurs when Pop has absolutely no faith in him. He doesn't play.
2 years ago he was great in NBDL but Pop didn't gave him a chance.
Last year, that misdiagnosed injury by the Spurs' medical staff fucked his entire season.
And this year, he's healthy, the Spurs need an athletic shotblocker and defender and... he doesn't play.

Ian is 23 now, and he wants to play. 2 years without playing is enough.
Next year he will be in another uniform. If not in NBA, it will be in Europe.

The only chance to see him in a Spurs uniform next year is that Pop starts to play him a little right now.

You bring up a good point there. The downside of Pop playing him for the duration, would drive up not only interest, but also his price. However, that's the Spurs issue. Assuming they want to keep him after all, and want to sign him at a reduced price, they would've screwed themselves.

All that said, I never believed Pop or any of the other amatuerish observations that proclaimed the guy is a bust. Personally, like what the guy has to offer and want to see him play more and most defintely hopes that he does stay. He needs time and he deserves more time.

If he does split, then Pop, in screwing over another young player, would've screwed himself and the franchise. Investing 5 years in a talented first-round pick, so he can go be productive for another team is just stupid.

itzsoweezee
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
You bring up a good point there. The downside of Pop playing him for the duration, would drive up not only interest, but also his price. However, that's the Spurs issue. Assuming they want to keep him after all, and want to sign him at a reduced price, they would've screwed themselves.

All that said, I never believed Pop or any of the other amatuerish observations that proclaimed the guy is a bust. Personally, like what the guy has to offer and want to see him play more and most defintely hopes that he does stay. He needs time and he deserves more time.

If he does split, then Pop, in screwing over another young player, would've screwed himself and the franchise. Investing 5 years in a talented first-round pick, so he can go be productive for another team is just stupid.

spurs don't have any interest in keeping ian. all of their moves this year suggest that.

objective
02-27-2010, 04:53 PM
the Spurs should play him even if it does drive Ian's price up.

He is effectively Splitter insurance.

Splitter's decision will be made before July 1 going by his last decision time. They'll know if he's coming. And if he is, then there's no room for Mahinmi, either with the MLE or in the rotation of TD, Splitter, Blair, and McCorpse.

But if Splitter doesn't come, the MLE is free for Ian.

Even if Ian plays very well this summer, and even though teams have a lot of capspace, I doubt anybody offers him more than an MLE sized contract when he would have only played about 25 games and had a history of bizarre injuries.

It's a no-lose situation.

Unless . . . you're :pop:

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM
spurs don't have any interest in keeping ian. all of their moves this year suggest that.

If that's turns out to be the case and Ian does indeed walk, then this FO will be made a mockery. And I'll be the first one screaming it the loudest.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2010, 04:57 PM
wheres that tunnel pic, pops inside it as his not seen the light at the end of the tunnel...

ChumpDumper
02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
If that's turns out to be the case and Ian does indeed walk, then this FO will be made a mockery. And I'll be the first one screaming it the loudest.That'll show 'em!

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
That'll show 'em!

Say what you want. I've got a better idea. How about we all just keep hoping and praying that the S.S. Splitter will finally arrive and save our putrid frontline woes?

ChumpDumper
02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Say what you want. I've got a better idea. How about we all just keep hoping and praying that the S.S. Splitter will finally arrive and save our putrid frontline woes?That'll also show 'em!

The funniest thing about this board is the posters' thinking they have any effect on the team at all, and the more they post he same exact take, the more likely they think what they want will actually happen.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
That'll also show 'em!

The funniest thing about this board is the elitest' thinking they have any effect on anyone at all, and the more they post the same exact useless crap, the more likely they think what they want will actually make their epeen larger.

fixed.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
That'll also show 'em!

The funniest thing about this board is the posters' thinking they have any effect on the team at all, and the more they post he same exact take, the more likely they think what they want will actually happen.

I doubt there is anyone here that thinks that. Most us, myself included, are expressing opinions and blowing off steam. It's part of the emotional investment of being a fan.

I seriously doubt that there are any armchair coaches and GMs on this board, who believe that their thoughts and opinions have any affect whatsoever on what the team or coach does.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I doubt there is anyone here that thinks that. Most us, myself included, are expressing opinions and blowing off steam. It's part of the emotional investment of being a fan.

I seriously doubt that there are any armchair coaches and GMs on this board, who believe that their thoughts and opinions have any affect whatsoever on what the team or coach does.You would be very surprised.

Of course, many just stopped posting when they realized the Spurs, in fact, did not give a shit about their work on the internets.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Chump, you wouldn't mind posting the link to what you're thoughts were on Pop this season would you?

Cuz frankly, after a puzzling trade deadline of doing jack all, I think a majority of us on here are at a complete loss at what this team is trying to do here.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
So in a nutshell SpursTalk should be closed because non of us are real GMs and coaches, and what we post does not have effect on anything?

Damn, and all along I had thought I was Holts best friend...

ChumpDumper
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Chump, you wouldn't mind posting the link to what you're thoughts were on Pop this season would you?Search for my name and "fire pop."

Cuz frankly, after a puzzling trade deadline of doing jack all, I think a majority of us on here are at a complete loss at what this team is trying to do here.Doing nothing at the trade deadline was pretty much a given considering the Spurs' and NBA's situations this summer. The only other thing to be done is fire the coach, which probably won't happen until the end of the season.

Russ
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
the Spurs should play him even if it does drive Ian's price up.

He is effectively Splitter insurance.

I am watching the end of the Rockets game and I'm starting to like Mahinmi. He reminds me of a young Elson (whom I also liked).

He just blocked a shot and then set a nice moving pick (not called). He definitely should get minutes over the RedTard (sorry, that was classless).

ChumpDumper
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
So in a nutshell SpursTalk should be closed because non of us are real GMs and coaches, and what we post does not have effect on anything?That certainly isn't what I said, but keep beating that straw man you built.

Feels good, doesn't it?

Russ
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Couple more observations on Mahinmi as I'm watching the end of the Rockets game.

1. Clyde Drexler is no better as an analyst than he was as coach of the Houston Cougs.

2. Mahinmi is too anxious on D -- goes for the 1st move and loses his position.

3. Mahinmi (and this is a killer) does not have good hands.

4. Mahinmi should still get some consistent minutes at least as a changeup. He is unlike any other Spurs player (for better or worse) at this point.

itzsoweezee
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Couple more observations on Mahinmi as I'm watching the end of the Rockets game.

1. Clyde Drexler is no better as an analyst than he was as coach of the Houston Cougs.

4. Mahinmi should still get some consistent minutes at least as a changeup. He is unlike any other Spurs player (for better or worse) at this point.

yet, he's still a better defensive option than bonner, mcdyess, blair, finley, or bogans.

i'd rather he foul than the spurs give up easy layups, which is the usual outcome with some of those other guys playing in the frontcourt.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 05:46 PM

1.Can't say either or. I refuse to listen to the rockets announcers. :lol

2. Well to be fair Ian was guarding a very good and crafty type player (Scola) and also he was kind of just thrown into the fire without being in a flow. You are correct though,but Consistent non garbage minutes would help him here, or it could show that he can't improve there. However without minutes he can't do either or.

3. Ians hands are actually pretty decent from all I have seen of him.He dosnt seem lose the ball all that much. I think it's his legs that are a bit more in question as he has been called for traveling a few times.

4. Agree with you completely.

NFGIII
02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

1. No comment - haven't heard him broadcast so not I'm not qualified to say anything

2. From what I've been able to gather since he was drafted this situation hasn't changed very much. Still fouls too much and continues to play D with his hands, which is what he did in the SL and with the Toros. He at times cleans this up only to fall back into the same pattern again. Biting on the first move for these many years would indicate that his BB IQ is low and he still is prone to be "faked out" by the O. Lack of progression in this department is lethal with Pop. And I concur.

3. Good/soft hands for a Big is something no team wants. That leads to turnovers and such. Could he be Nazr 2.0 is this respect?

4. Agreed that he is no better or worse than what we have but as exstatic stated in another thread why would you develop Ian when he is going to walk in the summer and other teams will snatch him up? I'd rather see Malik and the other younger players get the PT over Ian since I believe he will walk this summer. To me it makes no sense to give minutes to a player that wont be on this team next year. Yes, I know I'm making the assumption that he will walk and play for another team. Many have used the NJ game as proof that other teams have noticed him ( maybe true or maybe not - time will tell) and will go after him when he is an UFA. And as CW believes they will most likely make it too expensive for the Spurs to compete with.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Never have I been more anxious to see Pop's starting lineup tomorrow.

At least take Bogans off of there for the love of god.

TJastal
02-28-2010, 06:08 AM
That'll also show 'em!

It's been said some of the writers gleen opinions and info off this board and use it in their articles, which do have some effect on the spurs org and coaching staff.

Some even say spurs' players themselves (heard George Hill for starters) come and take a peek here once in awhile.

Does this have any effect on the team? Hard to say, but I wouldn't be so sure of yourself there, Chump.

Jason R
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
It's been said some of the writers gleen opinions and info off this board and use it in their articles, which do have some effect on the spurs org and coaching staff.

Some even say spurs' players themselves (heard George Hill for starters) come and take a peek here once in awhile.

Does this have any effect on the team? Hard to say, but I wouldn't be so sure of yourself there, Chump.

It's a sad day when an NBA coach feels he has to take advice from a message board.

I'm not saying, in this particular instance, he shouldn't.

DPG21920
02-28-2010, 11:37 AM
You guys are absolutely crazy if you think a coach like Pop, who is known to do things his way, is going to make a drastic change immediately imo.

Ian/Malik might have earned some more minutes, but I would be shocked to see an actual starting lineup overhaul.

The best we can hope for is that Pop has a short leash on Bogans/Finley and is willing to pull them without hesitation if they are putting this team in a hole early. Again.

Johnny RIngo
02-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Say what you want. I've got a better idea. How about we all just keep hoping and praying that the S.S. Splitter will finally arrive and save our putrid frontline woes?

Splitter's going to disappoint a lot of people, not because he's a bad player or anything but because of the ridiculous hype that's been built around him. I'd lower my expectations if I were you.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't even think Splitter is gonna come here. Especially now that the SPurs are no longer contenders he'd probably rather play for a big team in Europe.

Chomag
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I guess not. IT looks like Ian is already inactive for tonight. Heh, now it's all on Hairston, will he be spectator today?

ace3g
02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
yep, Bogans starting, Hairston on the bench. If he doesn't get extended minutes tonight Pop must be blind

taps
02-28-2010, 01:42 PM
This tune's for pop, 120 Minutes style:

dzA29tCwyR4

I know so many people who think they can do it alone.

They isolate their heads and stay in their safety zone.

But what can you tell them?

What can you say that wont make them defensive?

DPG21920
02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Pop was, as I mentioned, blinded by the light.

ace3g
02-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I thought he saw the light for about 20 secs, then he benched Hairston for the same guy he subbed in for

Old School 44
02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Nope!

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 02:12 PM
This is not entertainment and is too painful to watch. I still want my Spurs to win, but you could give me free tickets right now and I would not go. Conversely, if Pop rolled the dice with Ian and Malik and sat Bogans and Finley, I would gladly buy 2-3 tickets at $100 per.

This is by far the ugliest basketball (old small ball) that I can rememeber since going to my first game in 1978. Obviously, other teams were not as talented but no team in the history of the Spurs have been more mismanged than this team this year.

Warlord23
02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
He's got 4 rings, so we should all stfu

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM

I think I'm going to start rooting more for Baylor. Maybe Popovich will get shitcanned and then I can invest some emotion back into the Spurs. I remember the days when Spurs bigs used to shred Phoenix. Somewhere Mark Cuban is laughing.

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Pop is like the really long haired pretty girl that you get married to and now 20 years later is 100 pounds heavier with short hair an addiction to the credit card. All of her family keeps trying to remind you of how pretty she was as a reason why you should keep her.

ace3g
02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
commentators just quoted Pop in saying "I'm probably old school and stubborn, but I believe for defense to work you need a perimeter/wing defender" when talking about why Bogans is still in the starting lineup, too bad Bogans can't defend

Pucho!!!
02-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Yea, thats the problem because thats exactly the way Pop thinks, but even old dogs need to learn new tricks.

TheChillFactor
02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
commentators just quoted Pop in saying "I'm probably old school and stubborn, but I believe for defense to work you need a perimeter/wing defender" when talking about why Bogans is still in the starting lineup, too bad Bogans can't defend

Well i thats what you believe - then fucking go get one!

itzsoweezee
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I knew it. The guy is a senile, worthless motherfucker. Fucking hack that got lucky with an amazing roster of players.

SenorSpur
02-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Splitter's going to disappoint a lot of people, not because he's a bad player or anything but because of the ridiculous hype that's been built around him. I'd lower my expectations if I were you.

I was being sarcastic.

I guess I should've added this: :rolleyes

SenorSpur
02-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Then why the fuck does he keep one of the team's better perimeter defenders (Hairston) on the bench?

Also, why the hell doesn't he draft a solid, athletic, wing player, who is also a good defender, instead of trying to plug the hole with free agents, who have no reputation for playing a lick of defense?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Pop technically did play Hairston and we saw very very little of the BBF combo in the second half.

So I guess it's a step in the right direction?

J.T.
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
60-something year old men aren't capable of learning things or admitting that they're wrong about anything. The Spurs will never contend until he is no longer with the organization, and even by then, it'll be too late because we've wasted Tim and Manu this year basically. Just completely fucking wasted one of the last good years of their careers. It's really almost a crime.

You stupid fuck :lmao

taps
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Also, why the hell doesn't he draft a solid, athletic, wing player, who is also a good defender, instead of trying to plug the hole with free agents, who have no reputation for playing a lick of defense?

Because he's still butthurt over Batum? Newsflash pop: our division is filled with classless twits who'll take it in the marbles to see somebody else win, get over it.

Question is: how many more offseasons will the butthurt last?

Brazil
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
no light at all pop is finished

SenorSpur
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Pop simply needs to understand that until he gets some younger, more skilled, more athletic, perimeter players on the roster, he's not going to be able to play the type of defense that he's accustomed to. The single-skilled, jump-shooting, one-trick pony isn't going to cut it. Better luck next year.