PDA

View Full Version : When Parker comes back, who gets left off active roster: Ian or Malik?

objective
02-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Because we all can be fairly confident it will be one of those guys, it's Pop's call after all.

I'm leaning towards Pop sending Malik back to Austin as punishment for making Bogans/Finley look bad.

One is a defensive stopper who looks like Bruce Bowen, and the other is a grizzled veteran who just knows how to win and is oozing with corporate knowledge.

Malik, enjoy playing in Maine or Idaho or wherever.

TJastal
02-27-2010, 06:32 AM
My money is Malik, besides he almost has enough frequent flyer miles for the prize trip to Banghkok.

mudyez
02-27-2010, 06:40 AM
it has to be malik, as would be too small with only tim, bonner, mcd and blair on the roster.

yeah, I know...we are too small anyway!

taps
02-27-2010, 07:36 AM
bonner

blkroadrunners
02-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Sadly both.

objective
02-27-2010, 07:38 AM
it can't be Bonner . . . he spreads the floor. And he leads the team in plus/minus.

And he can play next to Tim Duncan, unlike Luis Scola, who would have just been in Duncan's way trying to occupy the same space. :lol

Muser
02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Hopefully Bogans...

Mal
02-27-2010, 07:51 AM
who cares ? whats the difference?

TJastal
02-27-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm butthurt over this thread.

Muser
02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Hopefully Bogans, Finley and Bonner

Fixed it for myself

What the fuck does Ian have to do? Suck pops dick to get playing time?

easy7
02-27-2010, 08:35 AM
It should be Bogans and finley who sit down but I know otherwise.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Hopefully Bogans or Finley but most likely Hairston.

Libri
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
I think Malik will get the axe.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
If I had to guess I'd say both.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Fixed it for myself

What the fuck does Ian have to do? Suck pops dick to get playing time?

Yes, that would be a good start. Ask Finley about that one.

SenorSpur
02-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Because we all can be fairly confident it will be one of those guys, it's Pop's call after all.

I'm leaning towards Pop sending Malik back to Austin as punishment for making Bogans/Finley look bad.

One is a defensive stopper who looks like Bruce Bowen, and the other is a grizzled veteran who just knows how to win and is oozing with corporate knowledge.

Malik, enjoy playing in Maine or Idaho or wherever.

Fuck that! Deactivate Finley.

I know, I know. It'll never happen. But I can dream.

exstatic
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Ian will be de-activated. What's the matter with you people? Malik gives Pop another small ball option!! Hello? McFly?
:lmao

SequSpur
02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
tony parker.

Chomag
02-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Ian will be de-activated. What's the matter with you people? Malik gives Pop another small ball option!! Hello? McFly?
:lmao

Pops logic: Why play a big at Center or Power forward when you can play a small. :lol

benefactor
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
They will likely deactivate Hairston and send him back to the Toros.

Biggems
02-27-2010, 12:24 PM
it should be Finley.

Starters
C - McDyess/Bonner
PF - Duncan
SF - Jefferson
SG - Mason
PG - Parker

Bench
C - Mahimni
PF - Blair
SF - Manu
SG - Hairston
PG - Hill

Leave Bogans and McDyess/Bonner at the end of the bench

crc21209
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
In a perfect world, Finley, Bogans, or Bonner should be left off....

Brazil
02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
In a perfect world, Finley, Bogans, or Bonner should be left off....

in a perfect world IMO finley, Bogans could useful for spot minutes and bonner coming off the bench is not such a bad option

TD 21
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Mahinmi, because it makes no sense. He's young, long, athletic and a center, all things this team desperately needs (and his per minute numbers, granted in a small sample size, have been solid), so that means he'll more than likely be the primary thirteenth man. Heaven forbid one of Bogans or Finley (I'd keep Bonner activated, just to have a fifth big) were deactivated on a regular basis. Don't want to piss off two fringe players who more than likely won't be on the team next season.

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Seriously though, while Finley has been done for a few years now, he's reached a new level of mediocrity this season..he's absolutely horrible..the guy sprained his ankle and was out for 2 months because he tried to make a simple rotation..he can't move anymore, he can't jump, he can't defend, he can't even shoot anymore..he's a poor man's Mason at this point, so what the fuck is the point of having them both in the lineup, let alone have Finley starting..STARTING..he's a STARTER for our team..absolutely ridiculous..

We've been saying this for years though, nothing will change..

Give me a rotation of Duncan, Ian, McDyess, Blair, Jefferson, Hairston, Ginobili, Hill, Mason and Parker and I'll be happy..have Bonner and Bogans as the 2 guys at the end of the bench..

Use Mason as a situational shooter when we need the spacing..only use Bonner and Bogans if there is foul trouble or an injury..while those 2 aren't good players, they can at least come in and play 5 minutes at some point I would hope..

Finley should be in a fucking suit every game..

Unfortunately, this will never happen..even if Pop actually continues to play Hairston and Mahinmi, he'll probably sub them off and bury them after their first bad games, ignoring the constant ineptitude we see from almost every other player on the Spurs' roster..

TD 21
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Seriously though, while Finley has been done for a few years now, he's reached a new level of mediocrity this season..he's absolutely horrible..the guy sprained his ankle and was out for 2 months because he tried to make a simple rotation..he can't move anymore, he can't jump, he can't defend, he can't even shoot anymore..he's a poor man's Mason at this point, so what the fuck is the point of having them both in the lineup, let alone have Finley starting..STARTING..he's a STARTER for our team..absolutely ridiculous..

Give me a rotation of Duncan, Ian, McDyess, Blair, Jefferson, Hairston, Ginobili, Hill, Mason and Parker and I'll be happy..have Bonner and Bogans as the 2 guys at the end of the bench..

Use Mason as a situational shooter when we need the spacing..only use Bonner and Bogans if there is foul trouble or an injury..while those 2 aren't good players, they can at least come in and play 5 minutes at some point I would hope..

He was bound to go from mediocre to fringe NBA player any season now. Missing as much time as he did didn't help, considering his age. If he's on your team, at this point in his career he's got to be a 12th-13th man. The guy is ancient, almost 37, as a swingman in this league with the mileage he has (around 35th all-time in minutes played and that doesn't account for playoffs). He's got to shoot around 45% from the field and 40% from 3 to justify his being on the court, otherwise his being terrible in every other area of the game completely outweighs the one supposed strength he has left.

I'm with you on the rotation; I'd start with this group...

Starters: PF- McDyess, SF- Jefferson, C- Duncan, SG- Hill, PG- Parker

Bench (rotation): SG- Ginobili, PF- Blair, SG/PG- Mason, C/PF- Mahinmi, SG/SF- Hairston

Bench (out of rotation): PF- Bonner, SG- Bogans

Inactive: SG/SF- Finley

Chomag
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Unfortunately, this will never happen..even if Pop actually continues to play Hairston and Mahinmi, he'll probably sub them off and bury them after their first bad games, ignoring the constant ineptitude we see from almost every other player on the Spurs' roster..

Well if Bogans is a starter the level isn't set very high.
I agree that Finley should be in a pure mentor roll at this point (ala Steve Smith) His playing days have come and gone, and he should have been done a season ago. He has been one of my favorite NBA players since his Phoenix Suns days but now he just has nothing as a nba player left to give. IT happens, so says life.

It's funny though how Pop quickly gave up on horry, and Bowen even though they had a bit more left in the tank then even Finely did yet he still plays Finley.

MaNu4Tres
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
McDyess
Duncan
Jefferson
Hairston
Parker

Manu
Hill
Blair
Mahimni

with Mason getting a few spot minutes to spread the floor when necessary at the SG or PG.

Bonner/ Bogans should never play unless someone is hurt or foul's out.

Finley needs to be in a suit or needs to hurry up and announce his retirement.

TD 21
02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
It's funny though how Pop quickly gave up on horry, and Bowen even though they had a bit more left in the tank then even Finely did yet he still plays Finley.

Two guys who did more for the Spurs than Finley ever did. It's as if Pop felt indebted to Finley, a former star, for picking small market San Antonio in free agency and if that's the case, it's ridiculous. He never wanted to leave Dallas, so going to the Spurs not only allowed him to stay in the state, but it allowed him to join the best team in the league, with the best player in the league and play with three players who he could thrive playing off of.

Remember this gem from Pop sometime within' the past year-year and a half when asked about the shape Finley's in at this point in his career? (to paraphrase): "He hasn't lost a step, not even a quarter of a step".

spurs10
02-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Did Pop say anything after the game that might give us an idea? I'm probably dreaming, but it must be obvious that Malik and Ian played much better than Fin and Bogans. Although I'm sure it would be a drag telling Fin to put on his suit, I still want to believe Pop will do what it takes to win...unless they have already decided something else behind closed doors, in which case everybody should be getting refunds on their game tickets.

TD 21
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
McDyess
Duncan
Jefferson
Hairston
Parker

Manu
Hill
Blair
Mahimni

with Mason getting a few spot minutes to spread the floor when necessary at the SG or PG.

Bonner/ Bogans should never play unless someone is hurt or foul's out.

Finley needs to be in a suit or needs to hurry up and announce his retirement.

Not bad. I thought about starting Hairston too, but want to see more off the bench from him first. I don't see Hill as a long term starter. Not a good enough play maker to play full time PG and not big enough to play full time SG. That being said, right now he's the fourth best player on this team and either the second or third best is already coming off the bench and the other one is in and out of the lineup, so there is no logical reason to pull Hill.

A nine man rotation ultimately works better though. We're getting to the point in the season where ten is too much, even for a team as old as the Spurs. They need to settle on a primary eight or nine and use another, say, one for spot minutes and that's it. It needs to be the same players every game, playing around the same minutes, entering/exiting around the same time, so that everyone knows their role, how much/when they'll play, etc.

angelbelow
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Finley please.

siraulo23
02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Give bogan's mins to hairston

Play Ian, instead of going small

Hope that Finley can shoot some open shots because pop will play him no matter what

objective
02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
aaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddd . . . IAN comes through for the grand prize.

Gotta love watching Finley sitting splayed out on the bench, nodding his head like he owns the place . . . because he does. That guy is bulletproof sons! :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
We joke about Finley having some pull, but he really does..somebody needs to do some hard investigating..

TD 21
02-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Inexplicable that Mahinmi wasn't active. People will say, "well what's the big deal, he wouldn't have played anyway and the Spurs still won". The big deal is that McDyess went from looking like he had a potential season ending injury to magically returning, but what if he hadn't? If he hadn't, the Spurs would have lost (Pop was determined to hold Duncan to 32 minutes, he refuses to play Blair for more than roughly a 9 minute stretch each half and he won't play Bonner, so they wouldn't have had enough size; as it was, they barely did). And even though he did, the Suns (hard as it is to believe and strange as it sounds saying this) out-sized (close enough to a word) the Spurs in this game, as evidenced by their nine blocks and the Spurs having issues covering the length of Frye (arguably the softest big man in the league) on the block, as well as the early trouble Lopez gave them.

This is where inexplicably giving away Ratliff and not playing Mahinmi hurts the Spurs. Even if this team begins to perform up to expectations, big deal. They don't have a backup center and with Pop having gone away from Bonner, yet unwilling to go to strictly a three big rotation because he's trying to manage all three's minutes, there's a stretch each half where the Spurs are playing with Blair as their center and generally Jefferson as their power forward. You can't win playing that way.

People talk about what's wrong with this team, Jefferson needing to step up, Parker needing to get healthy, etc., but the biggest problem is the lack of a backup center. As an aside, I'd like to know opposing starting power forward's averages in points/rebounds against the Spurs this season. They've never been able to cover Stoudemire, but almost every power forward goes off on them.