View Full Version : Ginobili causing Nuggets all kinds of problems

gregpschneid
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Ginobili causing Nuggets all kinds of problems

By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer
May 1, 2005

AP - May 1, 2:20 am EDT
More Photos
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-spurs-nuggets&prov=ap&type=lgns

DENVER (AP) -- Manu Ginobili charges headlong into the lane, hair flying, elbows and knees churning.

At the slightest bump, his head flies back and his arms go up in the air, giving the appearance that someone just whacked him across the back with a big stick.

Though not always attractive, Ginobili's gritty game is a big reason the San Antonio Spurs have taken control of their series with Denver. And the Nuggets don't particularly like it.

``I love Manu, but he makes the game difficult to play, makes it difficult to defend, makes it difficult to referee,'' Nuggets coach George Karl said Sunday. ``Personally, watching it kind of makes the game ugly even though if you're a San Antonio Spurs fan you love him. You want him on your side. I want him on my side, but I just think he creates bad calls a lot because he flares in there a lot.''

In an era of flying dunks and nose-busting power moves, Ginobili is a throwback.

With a jumper that he pushes away from his body left-handed and relentlessness that doesn't stop until the game is over, Ginobili looks more like a scrappy kid on the playground trying to keep up with older siblings than an NBA star.

That doesn't mean he's without talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ginobili has a quick release and deep range on his jumper, and a first step that's matched only by a handful of NBA players. But what makes Ginobili successful -- particularly in this year's playoffs -- is his knack for creating contact and finding ways to get off shots in traffic.

Of course, his acting ability helps, the flailing long hair and flying arms making it look as though he's been accosted nearly every trip through the lane.

``I don't think that I'm the only one doing this in the league and I'm not doing anything wrong,'' Ginobili said. ``I'm just going aggressively to the basket trying to finish or draw a foul. I don't care about what other people say. I'm surprised by the talk.''

A solid player his first two seasons with the Spurs, Ginobili came into this year with all kinds of confidence after leading Argentina to the gold medal at the Athens Olympics.

The Spurs went into the season hoping to take some of the load off Tim Duncan's shoulders, spreading the ball around so opponents couldn't gang up on the two-time league MVP. Ginobili made it work, using his quick-release jumper and slashing style to average 16 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game and become an All-Star for the first time.

He's been just as good through the first three games of the playoffs, boosting his averages to 24 points and 5.9 rebounds to help the Spurs to a 2-1 series lead over the Nuggets.

``He's an aggressive player. He's like a taller version of Allen Iverson,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. ``He's fearless, a good penetrator and he's not afraid of getting hit. That's a good combination in a player and he does it very well.''

Ginobili was a starter all season and for the first game of the playoffs before Popovich replaced him with Brent Barry for Games 2 and 3 in hopes the Argentine would provide a lift off the bench.

AP - May 1, 2:17 am EDT
More Photos

The move worked.

Ginobili came off the bench to help the Spurs build on their big early lead in Game 2 with 17 points in 18 minutes, and had an even bigger impact Saturday night.

With Duncan playing just five minutes in the first half because of foul trouble, Ginobili slashed and dashed his way to 19 points to put the Spurs up by nine. And when Duncan couldn't get anything going in the second half, allowing Denver to stay close, Ginobili never let the Nuggets climb all the way back. He had 13 points in the second half, including a long 3-pointer and four free throws down the stretch to return home-court advantage to the Spurs.

Ginobili's scrambling frustrated the Nuggets to the point that star Carmelo Anthony whacked him with a flagrant foul late in the fourth quarter and was ejected.

``I just got tired of seeing him get to the hole,'' Anthony said. ``He was getting to the hole too easy. I wish I could have done it earlier in the game instead of later on. It wasn't anything personal, it was just a hard foul.''

But as infuriating as Ginobili has been, even the Nuggets see the beauty in his ugliness.

``I respect his game, I respect what he can do out there,'' Anthony said. ``I love watching him play, but I don't love watching him play now because we're playing against him.''

This guy must be a Denver writer. I can't believe this crap people are throwing at Manu.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2005, 05:32 PM
``I just got tired of seeing him get to the hole,'' Anthony said. ``He was getting to the hole too easy. I wish I could have done it earlier in the game instead of later on. It wasn't anything personal, it was just a hard foul.''

IMHO corn row ho just earned himself a suspension with that quote...

Manu had the defenders split...you wanna stop him from going to the hole then get in front of him you little bitch...

SilverPlayer
05-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Does it bother anyone else that this comes at the heels of what looked like a deliberate attack on the same player?

Seriously this looks like they are trying to blame Manu for the hit he took.

http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050430/050430_10.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 05:36 PM

I wish you would have too Carmelo. He would have dropped 50 on your asses while you were sitting in the locker room watching, asshole.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Manu had the defenders split...you wanna stop him from going to the hole then get in front of him you little bitch...

That's the bottomline right there. I'm not sure why the Nuggets don't get it. If he's scoring on you, then DEFEND. Carmelo should know what defense looks like by now; Bruce owns him with it every game.

1Parker1
05-01-2005, 05:38 PM
That was a really horrible quote by Carmello. Wishing he had done it earlier? This is the NBA, not WWF or something. A hard foul is one thing, but almost breaking a player's nose and then having another team-mate shove him to the floor immediately after is another thing all-together. After that quote, no doubt he deserves a suspension or at least a fine. I guess Kenyon Martin's playing style is rubbing off on him.

exstatic
05-01-2005, 05:43 PM
The tone of the article is insulting. Outside of AI, I don't think any player in the NBA takes more punishment than Manu, and to imply that it's all just an act is amature hour at it's worst.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I think corn row ho is TRYING to get suspended...shore up his "bad boy" rep so he can get "street cred" to sell shoes while not having to go back out on the floor and get punked by Bowen on national TV again...:lol

boutons
05-01-2005, 05:45 PM
"He was getting to the hole too easy"

Melo is retarded. What kind of comment is this? sounds like he's blaming Manu for playing basketball.

Way too much talk from Denver, and not enough good basketball.

Let's get rid of these cheap, trashy mofo's 4-1, and their trolls of similar ilk, they aren't worth spending any Spurs effort on.

exstatic
05-01-2005, 05:45 PM
corn row ho
:lmao

bonesinaz
05-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I think corn row ho is TRYING to get suspended...shore up his "bad boy" rep so he can get "street cred" to sell shoes while not having to go back out on the floor and get punked by Bowen on national TV again...:lol

I can't believe that anyone would fall for his 'bad boy' image. He looks like a little girl and now is crying like one. I am surprised that he didn't try to pull Manu's hair.

picnroll
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I actually thought Melo was being extremely complimentary. Getting in front of Manu is a lot easier said than done. He can change directions 90 degrees + with every step. He's the Walter Payton of basketball.

gregpschneid
05-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I can't believe this article.

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
I can't believe that anyone would fall for his 'bad boy' image. He looks like a little girl and now is crying like one. I am surprised that he didn't try to pull Manu's hair.

Cornrowho Anthony IS a little bitch..no argument from me there...

that doesn't mean that what I posted isn't true..just look at the number of posters in here that are pissed at the Spurs because they didn't retaliate..

thats just not good, smart basketball...but it DOES sell shoes..

bonesinaz
05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
CC-
I am sure it IS true. I just can't believe that people would admire behavior like that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 06:05 PM
"He was getting to the hole too easy"

Well nut up and play some defense, if you're not too busy braiding your hair.

spursfan05
05-01-2005, 06:09 PM
have you see melo's mom? i see where he gets his good looks

ggoose25
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
shes a really sweet lady... but she raised a punk

Leetonidas
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Carmelo's words on clobbering Manu yesterday. I really have lost all respect for this guy. Manu is going to go off tomorrow.

ALVAREZ6
05-01-2005, 09:15 PM
These nuggets are fucking bitches. They are trying to suck up to Manu with all their "I love ginobili" comments, but " not when he's on the other team." ...my ass.

Carmelo says "It was nothin personal, just a hard foul"

If you want to foul someone hard, foul them by body contact or something that happens "accidently" ... but throwing a punch to someone driving to the hole is not a hard foul that shows any sportsmanship.

I can understand that people try to give hard fouls, and that's fine...but throwing your mcnugget paws at people is just unnacceptable. Melo should be suspended.