PDA

View Full Version : Great Win But.........

davi78239
02-28-2010, 03:43 PM
don't get so excited yet because chances are, they'll lay an egg tomorrow against a sub par team.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Glad they had so many guys play really well and still needed a missed dunk to win a game at home.

ohmwrecker
02-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Great win, but . . . Spurstalk posters will still whine, bitch and moan constantly.

EricB
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Great win period.

They're beating the good teams now if you look the past few games...

timtonymanu
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
exactly. Spurs are starting to beat some good teams.

They actually improved as a home team. The road, not so much.

Muser
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Be happy with the win for fucks sake

EricB
02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
exactly. Spurs are starting to beat some good teams.

They actually improved as a home team. The road, not so much.

Small steps but, they are making improvements. Losses against bad teams is annoying but the progression to players stepping up and playing great against good teams is very encouraging.

smeagol
02-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Small steps but, they are making improvements. Losses against bad teams is annoying but the progression to players stepping up and playing great against good teams is very encouraging.

I have to agree with Tpark.

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Great win

Nice to see RJ and Dice playing well

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Now if only Bogans and Mason could be removed from the rotation.

Warlord23
02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Great win period.

WTF? They've lost to Houston, Detroit, Philly, LAL and Portland ... that's a mix of good and bad.

And they've won against Phoenix, OKC, Indiana, Denver and the Clippers. Again a mix of good and bad.

That's their last 10 games. I don't see any pattern of "beating the good teams now"

FeZZy
02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
whining bitches

yomama21
02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
If Richardson makes that dunk, spurs lose........Book it! They got lucky.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Great win period.

That's like saying you've been banging hotties lately except for the past few three hundred pounders you went home with.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2010, 04:02 PM
It was a pretty good W, but I'm not going to read too much into it..if it wasn't the Suns, I'd be happier..something always goes right for us against Phoenix..if the Spurs can win the next 2 vs. NO, I'll see some progress..

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
I dunno what to make of that game. Our 4th quarter execution looked great, until the last 3 minutes when everything fell apart.

Like others have said, got a lot of great production from a wealth of players.........and still needed a one in a million blown dunk to win the game at home.

pjjrfan
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I'll take a win anyway we can get it. It is a good sign that instead of finding a way to lose they found a way to win, the last time it was a Manu block and this time it was a botched dunk by Richardson. But the main thing is for the guys to start believing in themselves, Hill hit two big FT's Manu was clutch from the line, and Jefferson grabbed some huge rebounds.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
We won this game because Phoenix only has one big man worth anything, Jason Richardson missed a dunk, and Nash thought he had five seconds at the end of the game.

Pretending like this is some sort of nirvana for the Spurs franchise or its fans is comical.

Warlord23
02-28-2010, 04:12 PM
We won this game because Phoenix only has one big man worth anything, Jason Richardson missed a dunk, and Nash thought he had five seconds at the end of the game.

Pretending like this is some sort of nirvana for the Spurs franchise or its fans is comical.

+1. The one big man that Phx had scored on us at will. A stiff like Robin Lopez had 5 blocks.

rascal
02-28-2010, 04:14 PM
The problem of interior defense still remains. Amare scored at will. This win just screws up chances at getting a better lottery position.

Go For Tree
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
We won today because the spurs were the better team today. We didnt need a blown dunk to win at home. We missed our share of bunnies today too. Not to mention the fact that Timmy didnt get a ft until the mid of the fourth. You honestly think he wasnt fouled in the act the entire game?

Typical of the selfproclaimed hoop czars here to say the spurs won a 48 minute game bc of one blown play by the opposition in the final 3 minutes....

yomama21
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
The problem of interior defense still remains. Amare scored at will. This win just screws up chances at getting a better lottery position.

I know. We're kidding ourselves with wins like this. Then we get into the playoffs (barely) and get smoked by Denver, LA.

Go For Tree
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM

oh and becaues we scored more points than the suns over the span of an entire game. richardson missed a dunk and amare hit a buzzer beating 3. law of averages my friend. quit talking shit.

+1. The one big man that Phx had scored on us at will. A stiff like Robin Lopez had 5 blocks.

yes amare scored at will but he put up a lot of shots to do it. theres also somethig called gameplan. amare always tourches the spurs. hes proven he cant win the game for them against us.

alchemist
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Great win, but . . . Spurstalk posters will still whine, bitch and moan constantly.
specially veterans :toast

Warlord23
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
yes amare scored at will but he put up a lot of shots to do it. theres also somethig called gameplan. amare always tourches the spurs. hes proven he cant win the game for them against us.

So, regarding this thing you call a "gameplan" ... tell me, what part of the gameplan involved starting Bogans and watching him total 0 pts, 0rbs, 0 ast?

Maybe we wouldn't have need a J-Rich brain fart and a Nash / Frye brain fart to get a win if we had a better rotation as part of our "gameplan"?

ohmwrecker
02-28-2010, 04:27 PM
We won this game because Phoenix only has one big man worth anything . . .

Robin Lopez? 8 pts 8 boards 5 blocks. Did you watch the game?
Plus, Amare ALWAYS gets his vs the Spurs, and it rarely translates into a win for the Suns.

nbaman99
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I mean really, can't we be happy for ones because we won? Every time after a win someone has to start something like this.

alchemist
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
So, regarding this thing you call a "gameplan" ... tell me, what part of the gameplan involved starting Bogans and watching him total 0 pts, 0rbs, 0 ast?

Maybe we wouldn't have need a J-Rich brain fart and a Nash / Frye brain fart to get a win if we had a better rotation as part of our "gameplan"?
Did any of you listen to what Hubie Brown said during the game? It was like he was talking to a huge portion of Spurtalk members directly.

SenorSpur
02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
That's like saying you've been banging hotties lately except for the past few three hundred pounders you went home with.

:lmao

Go For Tree
02-28-2010, 04:32 PM

look im not defending starting bogans but..... he is a player we can throw out there that doesnt need to score a single point as long as hes making the defensive rotations and fighting through screens to contest whoever hes guarding shots and passes. but dont get to concerned with who starts the game, its far more important having the right guys finishing the game. having rj coming off the bench allows him to come in with manu which bodes well for both. rj with the starting 5 is pretty embarassing to watch a lot of this year too.

i know you dont want to beleive it but starting bogans gives us the closest thing weve had to our starting lineup since bowen was here. he is no bowen and never will be but is still that same type of player.

ohmwrecker

You are easily amused. Aggies know a lot about taking home fatties.

Warlord23
Did any of you listen to what Hubie Brown said during the game? It was like he was talking to a huge portion of Spurtalk members directly.

Hubie and Tirico came as close to calling Pop a dumbass on national TV.

Tirico asked Hubie: "why is Bogans starting"

Hubie said something to the effect that: "Pop wants a defensive wing on his starting lineup, like Bowen. But Bowen could shut down both guards and forwards and still make the corner 3 ..."

... Effectively indicating that Bogans can't do any of that. Note that he never said that starting Bogans was the right thing, he just gave his explanation on why Pop is in retard mode

alchemist
02-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Hubie and Tirico came as close to calling Pop a dumbass on national TV.

Tirico asked Hubie: "why is Bogans starting"

Hubie said something to the effect that: "Pop wants a defensive wing on his starting lineup, like Bowen. But Bowen could shut down both guards and forwards and still make the corner 3 ..."

... Effectively indicating that Bogans can't do any of that. Note that he never said that starting Bogans was the right thing, he just gave his explanation on why Pop is in retard mode
a cliff note of what Hubie said "tons of new guys, stuff ain't going to click that quick", "tons of pressure in a Spurs uniform, not so much in a Bucks jersey"....

Go For Tree
02-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Youre saying there is no such thing as a 300 lb hottie???

You havent lived.

Bukefal
02-28-2010, 04:43 PM
It was a great win. :flag:

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:44 PM
We won today because the spurs were the better team today. We didnt need a blown dunk to win at home. We missed our share of bunnies today too. Not to mention the fact that Timmy didnt get a ft until the mid of the fourth. You honestly think he wasnt fouled in the act the entire game?

Typical of the selfproclaimed hoop czars here to say the spurs won a 48 minute game bc of one blown play by the opposition in the final 3 minutes....

If Jason Richardson doesn't blow a wide open dunk, this game goes overtime.

And even with that, if Nash didn't go vintage blockhead, who knows on the three ball?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Robin Lopez? 8 pts 8 boards 5 blocks. Did you watch the game?
Plus, Amare ALWAYS gets his vs the Spurs, and it rarely translates into a win for the Suns.

Yes I watched the game. Lopez got garbage buckets, and garbage boards (well, to be fair, he got most of his boards - offensive no less - against our microball lineup of Parker/Mason/Manu/Jefferson/Blair).

A real front line, say anything you'd see against Dallas, LA, Portland, Utah, or Houston, would have massacred us today.

Dex
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks a lot, Negative Nancy. I'll go ahead and enjoy this W for the day.

Spurs win, pull the Suns one game closer, and either the Lakers or the Nuggets are bound to end the day one game closer.

Sounds like a deal to me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
You are easily amused. Aggies know a lot about taking home fatties.

Ah yes, we've reached the pinnacle of intelligent basketball discussion when some noob poster goes to the 'Aggie smack'.

I am humbled in the presence of such basketball acumen...

disciple
02-28-2010, 04:52 PM
don't get so excited yet because chances are, they'll lay an egg tomorrow against a sub par team.

What a loser!

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks a lot, Negative Nancy. I'll go ahead and enjoy this W for the day.

Spurs win, pull the Suns one game closer, and either the Lakers or the Nuggets are bound to end the day one game closer.

Sounds like a deal to me.

Who's not enjoying the win? I am.

This board has discussed whether Pop would get a clue after the performances of Ian and Malik the other day, which is really what watching today was all about (talking big picture here).

Ian was inactive, Bonner got run, and Hairston only saw the court so Poop could bitch out Mase for a few seconds (28 or so?), and then again at the end when he went to the stupid ass microball defense with RJ on Amare.

So, if you enjoy small victories, today was fun. If you care at all about the rest of the season (and the playoffs if we actually manage to get there) today showed Pop's stupidity and stubborness are here to stay (not exactly an appealing thought).

Anyone really think Hairston couldn't give us more than what we're getting out of Bogans? Bogans played 11 minutes today and could only procure a steal and getting his shot blocked in all that time (well, not counting his bricks).

Meanwhile, the vaunted and widely feared [/sarcasm] Phoenix center combo of Lopez and Frye went for 12 boards against microball. Shocking, given Jefferson's toughness at the PF spot all year...

ohmwrecker
02-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Ah yes, we've reached the pinnacle of intelligent basketball discussion when some noob poster goes to the 'Aggie smack'.

I am humbled in the presence of such basketball acumen...
"Aggie smack" trumped only by the "noob card". You of all people should go easy calling someone out on basketball acumen. Take it easy, slomo. It's just a joke. I think your helmet is on backwards.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
"Aggie smack" trumped only by the "noob card". You of all people should go easy calling someone out on basketball acumen. Take it easy, slomo. It's just a joke. I think your helmet is on backwards.

Ah, you're right again. Thanks, I'll slow down. And get new batteries for the pissy but after the fact it was really sarcasm detector.

SpursDynasty
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
We've had good wins lately: Denver, OKC, and Phoenix. We've lost games recently to teams that don't matter such as Detroit, Philadelphia, and Houston. I'll take the good wins.

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
The rhetoric is pretty much equal on both sides of the issue. For me, I saw more positives in the loss to Houston than the win today. My evaluation on the Spurs is no longer about the Spur players but rather what will Pop do? Ian and Malik showed themselves worthy of minutes ahead of the small rotations, Bogan and Finley. This to me is the only hope for the Spurs in the playoffs. There is a fine line between each team and these guys can be the difference to move us above the line. After all, if we are not here to win then what the hell are we here for?

Dex
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Who's not enjoying the win? I am.

Sorry, I was referring to the OP.

But if you wanna fight, I got Aggie jokes. :lol

ohmwrecker
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
We've had good wins lately: Denver, OKC, and Phoenix. We've lost games recently to teams that don't matter such as Detroit, Philadelphia, and Houston. I'll take the good wins.

Agreed, but we really need to start beating good teams on the road. If we do, by some miracle, get into the playoffs, we aren't going to have home court to fall back on.

alchemist
02-28-2010, 05:04 PM
The rhetoric is pretty much equal on both sides of the issue. For me, I saw more positives in the loss to Houston than the win today. My evaluation on the Spurs is no longer about the Spur players but rather what will Pop do? Ian and Malik showed themselves worthy of minutes ahead of the small rotations, Bogan and Finley. This to me is the only hope for the Spurs in the playoffs. There is a fine line between each team and these guys can be the difference to move us above the line. After all, if we are not here to win then what the hell are we here for?
Really? The playoffs rest on Parker/Tim/Manu playing like All-Stars, not 2 role players coming off the bench.

yomama21
02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Lets remember that the wins against Denver and OKC were kinda tainted. Denver basically was already mentally on Allstar Break and we needed a Manu Stuff on Durant in order to swing a victory on Wednesday. I'm with this poster and others who aren't sold on this great victory today. Sorry.

panic giraffe
02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Now if only Bogans and Mason could be removed from the rotation.

only bogans. i think mason has the heart, and somewhere in there, the skill. he just doesn't get enough playing time to a hot hand, so he's always cold.

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Really? The playoffs rest on Parker/Tim/Manu playing like All-Stars, not 2 role players coming off the bench.

This is where cutting and pasting only what you want can show a pure lack of comprehension. The point, once again, is the line between these teams is very small and YES! The difference in winning can be 2 role players coming off the bench. TP, Manu and Timmy can play like allstars until hell freezes over and this team will not get anywhere without successful play by the role players. I do not know of one championship that we or any other team has won in basketball with 3 on 5.

alchemist
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
This is where cutting and pasting only what you want can show a pure lack of comprehension. The point, once again, is the line between these teams is very small and YES! The difference in winning can be 2 role players coming off the bench. TP, Manu and Timmy can play like allstars until hell freezes over and this team will not get anywhere without successful play by the role players. I do not know of one championship that we or any other team has won in basketball with 3 on 5.
No. The point again is that if Tony/Tim/Manu don't play like All-Stars it doesn't matter if you have your saviors coming off the bench. You assume that the Trio is going to be ready, I don't because they haven't shown it all season.

ohmwrecker
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Just curious, but what is the exact number of posts required to avoid being referred to as a "noob"? Also, what do you call veteran posters with a low percentage of quality posts?

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
No. The point again is that if Tony/Tim/Manu don't play like All-Stars it doesn't matter if you have your saviors coming off the bench

How can you tell me what the point of my post is? You reply to my post and then you try to tell me what the point of my post is? I bet you argue with yourself in the bathroom quite a bit.

alchemist
02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
How can you tell me what the point of my post is? You reply to my post and then you try to tell me what the point of my post is? I bet you argue with yourself in the bathroom quite a bit.
:sleep

easy7
02-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Youre saying there is no such thing as a 300 lb hottie???

You havent lived.

300 pounds is just too much bacon for two eggs....:lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Um, have you looked at the standings recently? Every game matters.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I was referring to the OP.

But if you wanna fight, I got Aggie jokes. :lol

LOL, wasn't sure who you were responding to. No worries.

200 miles
02-28-2010, 06:25 PM
:downspin:

all_heart
02-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Hornets are actually playing decent without Paul, so it's still a tough game on the road for the Spurs.

Sisk
02-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Be happy with the win for fucks sake

Seriously

The amount of emo shit on this forum isn't tolerable sometimes

spursfan1000
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Good win by the Spurs, never hurts to beat a good team.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 07:26 PM
But Aggie, isn't a good sign that at least Pop limited the minutes of the Bonner/Finley/Bogans combo? At least in the second half?

LongtimeSpursFan
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Why is it when Spurs beat good teams we blame it on external factors such as: Other team only had one big, player was hurt, other team was not focused, etc, etc, etc. Yet when bad teams beat us blame it on internal factors such as: old team, small ball, Bonner, Finley or Bogans fault?

spurtech09
02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
yeah should be happy the spurs won cause I am...great win for the spurs.......bunch of party poopers up in here

Slippy
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
As Timmy said spurs needed a break to go their way. Spurs got lucky with the missed dunk, the Suns got lucky on the previous play where Hill turned it over.

Good Win. Hope for the same the next game.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

One of the players in question is better than the guy who's currently starting, which makes it a hell of a lot bigger than a "role player". In addition, Parker, Timmy and Manu all played like all-stars and the team gave up 110 points at home, so I'm not sure how far you think they're getting in the playoffs. When Robin Lopez and Amare Stoudemire have a block party on the Spurs, what do you think Nene and Birdman or Bynum and Gasol are going to do to the Spurs' 4 guard and Jefferson lineups?

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Also, what do you call veteran posters with a low percentage of quality posts?

I call him TPark.

jjktkk
02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Just curious, but what is the exact number of posts required to avoid being referred to as a "noob"? Also, what do you call veteran posters with a low percentage of quality posts?

Sequ Spur.

TD 21
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Great win period.

Big deal. Both wins came against teams right in the Spurs class, which is to say, neither are elite. On top of that, they were both at home. Even if you want to take those two things out of the equation, they're also beginning to lose to the sub par teams, so it's all evening out. Trouble is, the majority of their remaining games are against the quality -- and in the case of many of those, elite -- teams, on the road and back-to-back situations.

Keep in mind, Pop also claims he'll stick with his plan of resting Duncan "more than ever" in back-to-backs. The reality is their is no corner being turned, they were just long overdue to beat a few quality teams and lose to a few bottom feeders (law of averages), but at the end of the day this team will be in a dog fight just to make the playoffs.

One more piece of bad news about this game: all the issues we've seen down the stretch all season with this team reared their ugly head yet again; only this time they got a bit of luck along with those, but it's not like they won with flawless execution. I hate to sound down on the win, because I'm not, but I don't think it indicates anything positive going forward, other than maybe Jefferson is starting to awake from his season long slumber. But with the hole this team has dug themselves and with all the issues that they have, really, does that make that much of a difference at this point? Unfortunately, I don't think it does.

boutons_deux
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Hornets also will be on b2b, now getting killed in Dallas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2010, 10:20 PM
I call him TPark.

TD 21
02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Hornets also will be on b2b, now getting killed in Dallas.

Great. I was hoping they'd at least keep it close and not get blown out because then they'll play tomorrow's game with a ton of energy and intensity. Not that that should matter. In theory, the Spurs should destroy this team. In reality, they'll probably have trouble with them, particularly in the aforementioned situation, similar to what happened against the Rockets.

West will probably score 30-35 against the Spurs and Collison will probably live in the paint and throw up a 20/10 game. At least the Hornets aren't bigger or more athletic than the Spurs, a rarity in this league.

cherylsteele
02-28-2010, 10:54 PM
From the reaction in the forum, I'd hate to see it if the Spurs had lost today.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
From the reaction in the forum, I'd hate to see it if the Spurs had lost today.

I'd hate to have seen the Spurs lose after such a strong performance by so many players. People whine about why some of us keep lobbying for guys to play because it "doesn't matter". The four or five point swings those guys can provide are the difference in a lot of games. I'm not sure why so many people fail to understand how hamstrung the Spurs are starting someone that doesn't contribute at all, let alone starting two or more of them.

ducks
02-28-2010, 11:00 PM

so when spurs beat out the spurs
they let amare have his but guarded everyone else

the key is to not let someone else go off when facing the suns

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 11:16 PM
so when spurs beat out the spurs
they let amare have his but guarded everyone else

the key is to not let someone else go off when facing the suns

Um, no. In 2005 the Suns killed everyone with their three point shooting. Pop was going to let Amare score as long as the rest of the team limited the number of three point attempts by the Suns. The situation is not the same now. Pop was yelling at the team to get back on defense today as though this were still the D'Antoni Suns.

taps
02-28-2010, 11:53 PM
i'm happy with the win, something ineffable about beating phoenix.

pop was a mixed bag, his decision to put dice back in and get out of the way was a good one. lots of small ball and 18:00 minutes with nothing to show for it from bogans-mason, was not

benefactor
03-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I agree with Harlem...it was at home and against the Suns. The murderers row that is March is looming. We are going to find out the truth pretty quick.

spursrocks
03-01-2010, 08:51 AM
a win against phoenix means nothing, spurs will never win their 5th championship with their current line up. lack of interior defense, and too much emphasis on small ball. book it.
enjoy the win against the phoenix hile you can, some of the fans here are dillusioned that a win against phoenix gave spurs a chance to win it all.
keep dreaming.

i believe this spurs team will win IF:
they eliminate small ball
have consistent line up
dont play bogan

rascal
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
a win against phoenix means nothing, spurs will never win their 5th championship with their current line up. lack of interior defense, and too much emphasis on small ball. book it.
enjoy the win against the phoenix hile you can, some of the fans here are dillusioned that a win against phoenix gave spurs a chance to win it all.
keep dreaming.

i believe this spurs team will win IF:
they eliminate small ball
have consistent line up
dont play bogan

How about interior defense? They don't have the players or depth on the roster now.