PDA

View Full Version : Much less reliant on the 3 ball in this game

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2010, 04:39 PM
The greatest thing about today's win was the Spurs aggression towards the basket. It all started with Jefferson taking it to the hole. The Spurs are 6-0 when Jefferson scores 20 points or more.

48 points in the paint, and I loved how despite getting a lot of shots swatted, the team still kept attacking. This is another reason why I'd like to see more Hairston, not just because of his defense (and for the record, Duncan screwed up on the Nash 3, not Malik) but because he relentlessly attacks the basket.

While the Spurs are a team built on living and dying by the 3, I really hope with the (hopeful) limited minutes of Mason, Bogans, Finley, and Bonner that we will see much more of an inside game and rack up some free throws (28 in tonight's game).

And on a side note, what a relief Dice isn't injured. His play really improved as the game went on and when his outside J is money, this team is hard to stop.

anonoftheinternets
02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
we need the 3 ball as well to beat elite teams.... so the question is how to strike a balance ... honestly it seems like a very difficult task .. but i still hope they can pull it off...

alchemist
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
http://hoopdata.com/teamshotlocs.aspx

They attempt more 10 foot or less shots than 3's, they surprisingly have a 62 FG% at the rim so they finish very well. Very poor 10-15 feet shooting team, Dice knocking them down is crucial.

objective
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
While the Spurs are a team built on living and dying by the 3, I really hope with the (hopeful) limited minutes of Mason, Bogans, Finley, and Bonner that we will see much more of an inside game and rack up some free throws (28 in tonight's game).

the Bonner-Mason-Finley-Bogans 4-piece only playing a combined 16:48 helped limit the threes. Today they were only 0-3.

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Going to the hole helps tremendously with the refs. In general they make the calls for the more aggresive team.

BillMc
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Going to the hole helps tremendously with the refs. In general they make the calls for the more aggresive team.

Very true. And a healthy Manu and Tony plus a properly used RJ will all take it to the rim. That said, we'd be abandoning one of our historic strengths by reducing the 3 point attempts. But maybe its that kind of year...

MannyIsGod
02-28-2010, 05:19 PM
The problem is most teams pack the lane. You can't drive without spacing. Phoenix is just bad at defense.

Johnny RIngo
the Bonner-Mason-Finley-Bogans 4-piece only playing a combined 16:48 helped limit the threes. Today they were only 0-3.

Which makes me wonder why we didn't package them in a trade. They obviously don't help the team(the eFF stats prove that they're the worst players on the team) so it would make a lot more sense to move their expiring contracts for a useful player before we bring in even worse players, next year, through FA.

bbarry
Now let's all watch as the Spurs chuck up 25-30+ 3PA tomorrow night against the Hornets.

dbestpro
02-28-2010, 05:26 PM
The problem is most teams pack the lane. You can't drive without spacing. Phoenix is just bad at defense.

The Suns packed the lane and had a ton of blocked shots. The best part of the game is that did not deter the Spurs from attacking the basket.

Agloco
02-28-2010, 05:34 PM
The Spurs are 6-0 when Jefferson scores 20 points or more.

Far too little of this unfortunately. 6 games of 20+, and we're 50+ games into the season. RJ might be rounding into form, but it's too little too late for this squad.

Sadly enough, RJ might start playing well enough to start planting reasonable doubt into peoples minds about his true worth to the team. :lol

Agloco
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Which makes me wonder why we didn't package them in a trade. They obviously don't help the team(the eFF stats prove that they're the worst players on the team) so it would make a lot more sense to move their expiring contracts for a useful player before we bring in even worse players, next year, through FA.

Takes two to tango......

I don't think anyone considers the possibility that the FO did make an attempt to do this, but like the Spurs, other teams realized exactly how worthless they were (despite the fact that they are expirings).

objective
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Pop trading Finley?

:lol

TJastal
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
The greatest thing about today's win was the Spurs aggression towards the basket. It all started with Jefferson taking it to the hole. The Spurs are 6-0 when Jefferson scores 20 points or more.

48 points in the paint, and I loved how despite getting a lot of shots swatted, the team still kept attacking. This is another reason why I'd like to see more Hairston, not just because of his defense (and for the record, Duncan screwed up on the Nash 3, not Malik) but because he relentlessly attacks the basket.

And on a side note, what a relief Dice isn't injured. His play really improved as the game went on and when his outside J is money, this team is hard to stop.

Que in exstatic with his "but Hairston doesn't shoot enough 3's so he can't play!!!" :lol

FeZZy
02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
yes