PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson Arrested: 4th degree driving while impaired

Pistons < Spurs
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Timberwolves' Al Jefferson arrested on suspicion of DWI (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/85767692.html?elr=KArks:DCiUBcy7hUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)

Minnesota Timberwolves basketball player Al Jefferson was arrested and booked into jail early this morning for allegedly driving drunk, according to jail records.

Jefferson was arrested by the State Patrol at 1:08 a.m., and was brought to the Hennepin County Jail shorty after 2 a.m., according to the State Patrol and jail records. He was released at 3:19 a.m.

Jefferson was arrested on a charge of fourth degree driving while impaired, said State Patrol Lt. Eric Roeske.

Jefferson initially was pulled over for speeding as he left downtown Minneapolis, heading west on 394. He was clocked going 56 mph in a 40-mph zone, Roeske said.

The trooper also observed the vehicle drifting to left and the driver's side tires going onto the fog line, Roeske said. Then the vehicle changed to the center lane without signaling. The car was stopped on 394 near Dunwoody Blvd.

Roeske said a field sobriety test led to Jefferson's arrest. A blood test was administered and the results are pending a Bureau of Criminal Apprehension analysis, Roeske said.

Jefferson is scheduled for a court appearance on April 23.

A fourth degree DWI is charged if there are no aggravating factors. That means no prior DWI or DWI related license revocations. Additionally, the driver cannot have a blood alcohol concentration in excess of twice the legal limit (.20) or have refused to take a test to determine that blood alcohol content.

A fourth degree DWI offense is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The arrest came after the Timberwolves lost to the Portland Trail Blazers at Target Center, 110-91. Jefferson, listed as a 6-10 center-forward on the team's roster, led the Wolves in scoring with 19 points, and in playing time, with 30 minutes. (The jail log listed him at 6-9.)

Jefferson, drafted 15th by the Boston Celtics in the 2004 NBA draft after turning pro straight out of Prentiss (Miss.) High School, was the most prominent of the five players the Wolves received in the trade of Kevin Garnett to Boston in 2007.

A career 15.2-point-per-game scorer, Jefferson has averaged 20.4 points with the Wolves and was returning this season from knee surgery that caused him to miss the final two months of the 2008-09 season.

The six-year veteran has been in a scoring slump recently. Though he's scored 20 or more points 24 times this season, he has not reached that level in the team's last 10 games.

The 25-year-old Jefferson is also the Wolves' highest-paid player, earning $12 million this season, the second of a five-year contract worth $65 million.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Drunk drivers are disgusting and all, but he probably did it for the rush..probably nothing better to do in Minnesota..

Brazil
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Big Al has been a big disappointment so far... the bad news continue

Brazil
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
meanwhile Blatche keeps on impressing... tonite 5 min left 32 13 4 2 1 at 58% !

Brazil
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Brazil
02-28-2010, 08:24 PM
36 15 4 2 1

DesignatedT
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Drunk drivers are disgusting and all, but he probably did it for the rush..probably nothing better to do in Minnesota..

:lol

duncan228
02-28-2010, 08:49 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100228/capt.084bd5917053480ab30d29dbd71eb241.timberwolves _jefferson_dwi_ny118.jpg
In this photo courtesy of Hennepin County Sheriff via Star Tribune, Al Jefferson, player for the Minnesota Timberwolves is shown in a booking mug. The Minnesota Timberwolves have suspended center Al Jefferson for the next two games without pay after his arrest on suspicion of DWI.

Jefferson apologizes to T-Wolves after DWI arrest (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timberwolves-jefferson-dwi&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Jeff Baenen

Minnesota Timberwolves star center Al Jefferson apologized to the team and fans Sunday after his arrest on suspicion of DWI following a weekend loss to Portland.

The Timberwolves suspended Jefferson for the next two games without pay—a punishment Jefferson said he accepts.

“I want to apologize to the entire Timberwolves organization, owner Glen Taylor, my teammates, coaches and Wolves fans everywhere for my actions last night,” Jefferson said in a statement released Sunday by the Timberwolves. “I made a very poor decision and I am truly sorry for that. As a leader on this team, I know that more is expected of me, and I am disappointed in myself.”

A Minnesota State Patrol trooper stopped Jefferson, 25, on Interstate 394 near downtown Minneapolis early Sunday for speeding and changing lanes without signaling, patrol spokesman Lt. Eric Roeske said.

After taking a field sobriety test, Jefferson was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center for a blood test, which he had agreed to, then to Hennepin County Jail on suspicion of fourth-degree driving while impaired, Roeske said. Jefferson was released after an hour in jail and faces an April 23 court appearance.

Results of the blood test are expected in two to three weeks, Roeske said. He said the trooper noted that Jefferson was “very cooperative.” Jefferson’s vehicle was towed away, Roeske said.

Jefferson led the Timberwolves with 19 points in Saturday night’s 110-91 loss to the Trail Blazers at Target Center. He’s averaging 17.7 points and 9.6 rebounds a game.

David Kahn, Timberwolves president of basketball operations, said Jefferson “feels terrible” about what happened.

“On behalf of the Timberwolves organization, we are disappointed that Al used poor judgment last night. Thankfully, nobody was injured or hurt,” Kahn said in a statement Sunday.

“Having spoken to Al, I can assure everybody associated with our franchise that Al understands this is a matter of the utmost seriousness. He feels terrible about what occurred and I believe him when he says he will learn from his mistake,” Kahn said.

But Kahn said it’s appropriate that Jefferson be suspended for the Wolves’ games at Dallas Wednesday and at home against Houston Saturday.

The 6-foot-10 Jefferson missed the last 2 1/2 months of last season after injuring his right knee and undergoing surgery. Telephone calls to his agent’s office were not immediately returned Sunday.

DesignatedT
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
well i hope everything works out for him.

HornetLoveJones
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
what a dumbass, didn't he learn something from Eddie Griffin a few years back?

angelbelow
02-28-2010, 11:47 PM
too much pride. call a fucking taxi with that bank account.

DJ Mbenga
02-28-2010, 11:53 PM
if this is what losing drives you to do we need to be on suicide watch for a nets player

blkroadrunners
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Yup, let a stranger drive you home.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Exactly. With that bank, he can afford a driver with a limo if he wants. Drink driving is just a fucking stupid, irresponsible thing to do.

Yup, let a stranger drive you home.

Never taken a taxi, huh? Yeah, it's so dangerous to get a sober person to drive you home! Driving under the influence of alcohol is so much safer... :rolleyes