PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Free Agent: J.J. Redick

benefactor
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_jj_redick.jpg

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jj_redick/career_stats.html)

Roger Mason replacement as an off the bench shooter? He is having his best season and has produced pretty well when he has gotten minutes. He has a QO of 3.8 million next year but with Orlando being in cap hell they will most certainly let him go for financial reasons. Chunk 3 million a year at him and see what happens?

exstatic
03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
God, I hate JJ Redick, and Duke players in general, but he could feast in the Spurs offense. Even if you play him 20 minutes, he could probably hang up 12-13 points just because he would shoot 45%+ from the corner.

benefactor
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
That's why I brought him up. I never have really desired him as a player but I've seen him a few times this year and he is improved a lot. He's a smart player that knows his limitations and stays there. He knows he's a shooter and doesn't try to be what he's not.

After the Mason debacle and Finley gone, the Spurs will need some shooting off the bench next season. Depending on Splitter and what happens with the MLE he could be had for relatively cheap.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
He's also a much, much improved defender..he's never going to be a good defender due to his physical limitations, but he's definitely an above average defender, which is much more than I can say for a guy like Mason..he's pretty much improved every aspect of his game..

Orlando really likes him though, so I'm sure they'll go after him hard..

timtonymanu
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
He's staying with Orlando. I wouldn't make him a priority but if we lose out on other players, I wouldnt mind seeing him signed.

benefactor
03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
He's also a much, much improved defender..he's never going to be a good defender due to his physical limitations, but he's definitely an above average defender, which is much more than I can say for a guy like Mason..he's pretty much improved every aspect of his game..

Orlando really likes him though, so I'm sure they'll go after him hard..
I don't know. They are going to be carrying a ton of salary and paying a lot of tax over the next two seasons. I'm not sure how willing they are going to be to add another 4 million to that(8 million more with the tax).

DPG21920
03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
JJ for Mase would be nice.

Cane
03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
He could be decent but the Spurs would probably want another combo guard that can pass and handle the ball better than JJ.

Big P
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
He's said to be looking at getting a 5 year $20-25 mil. contract...way out of our league...I'm sure this has been covered..mases replacement will be a minimum salaried vet...after resigning Manu & hopefully getting Splitter with the MLE, there will be no money to spend on what amounts to a spot up shooter...as much as I would like to see Reddick on the Spurs, not gonna happen.

benefactor
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
after resigning Manu & hopefully getting Splitter with the MLE, there will be no money to spend on what amounts to a spot up shooter...as much as I would like to see Reddick on the Spurs, not gonna happen.

Depending on Splitter and what happens with the MLE he could be had for relatively cheap.
It has been covered.

I think you sell him a little bit short saying he is just a spot up shooter. He's got a pretty high BBIQ and he competes on both ends. As Harlem said, even with his athletic limitations he is far and away a better defender than Mason.

He might get 4 million a year from some team, but that will probably be it...but you never can tell with all the money that will be flying around this summer. If the Spurs were interested I could see them offering 3-3.5. He's definitely worth that if he bites.

blkroadrunners
03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Put up 23 points, 8 assists, and 7 rebounds in a win against the Nuggets today. Granted, he played the whole game for the most part w/ VC out, but still fairly impressive.

DMX7
03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Steve Kerr was a better defender.

EricB
03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
IMO, this guy after taking care of Splitter, should be number 1 on the list of going after in the offseason.

Would be a perfect starting two guard next year.

robot89
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
watching him he looks like he would fit in perfectly with us
but i don't think it would happen...

mystargtr34
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I was going to make the point that he is a much improved defender, and an underated one at that - but Harlem already mentioned it.

He has suprisingly quick and nimble feet, he gets aound screens well and stays in front of his man on isolations - obvioiusly he will never be elite because he doesnt have the length and athleticism, but he would be a nice upgrade over Mason.

And obviously, you can never have enough shooting.

benefactor
05-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I love to see it, but after this years playoffs some team that is desperate for shooting will probably overpay and give him the full MLE.

DesignatedT
05-24-2010, 10:51 PM
i wish. Orlando is about to pay for this guy... they're going to have to. This dude is about to get 6-8 mil/year

Admidave50
05-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Thinking of JJ I can't believe how RJM became so quick a piece of garbage!
It would have helped us tremendously this year to have a reliable 3pt shooter!!

SpursTillTheEnd
05-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Im glad he's staying with orlando jj reddick SUCKS, his d is awful and he shoots way to many 3's most of them he misses when he's wide open.

benefactor
05-25-2010, 05:38 AM
i wish. Orlando is about to pay for this guy... they're going to have to. This dude is about to get 6-8 mil/year
They can't. If Barnes picks up his option the Magic will be staring at 80 million salaries before they even sign their first round pick. The best they can offer him is the MLE if he refuses the QO, which he probably will.

DesignatedT
05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
They can't. If Barnes picks up his option the Magic will be staring at 80 million salaries before they even sign their first round pick. The best they can offer him is the MLE if he refuses the QO, which he probably will.

Really? Even if they have bird rights on him? I am not familiar with that rule. I bet he leaves that on the table though. someone will overpay for him.

Big P
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't think it matters if they are over the cap...they have his Bird rights, they can resign him for whatever.

lmbebo
05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I think he'd be a good piece for the spurs to add this summer.

I do think he will get overpaid though.

I don't think orlando keeps him considering how high there payroll currently is.

I think he might receive a MLE type offer from someone.

I don't think he's worth more than 2-3 million/yr personally.

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 01:26 AM
:wow

benefactor
05-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Really? Even if they have bird rights on him? I am not familiar with that rule. I bet he leaves that on the table though. someone will overpay for him.

I don't think it matters if they are over the cap...they have his Bird rights, they can resign him for whatever.
Yeah...you are right. I had a brain fart on that one.

That said, I still doubt they keep him. It's gonna take more than the QO and I just can't see Orlando doing that with all the money they already have committed and a first round pick to sign.

mountainballer
05-26-2010, 04:58 AM
That said, I still doubt they keep him. It's gonna take more than the QO and I just can't see Orlando doing that with all the money they already have committed and a first round pick to sign.

Orlando wasn't exactly very reasonable about money and contract issues the last years. (Lewis contract, match the Gortat offer AND sign Bass, swallow the VC contract). so I wouldn't bet that they start with this in the case of Reddick. IMO he will agree to a 3-4 years 12-15 M extension. or get an offer in that range and the Magic will match.

EDIT: this might totally change if Mike Miller goes back to Orlando (for the MLE), like guessed by some experts.

benefactor
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Orlando wasn't exactly very reasonable about money and contract issues the last years. (Lewis contract, match the Gortat offer AND sign Bass, swallow the VC contract). so I wouldn't bet that they start with this in the case of Reddick. IMO he will agree to a 3-4 years 12-15 M extension. or get an offer in that range and the Magic will match.

EDIT: this might totally change if Mike Miller goes back to Orlando (for the MLE), like guessed by some experts.
I hear you man...but the spending has got to stop somewhere.

The Magic will likely offer him something in the range that you mentioned, but I can see him getting an offer they will not match...as the atmosphere of the upcoming offseason creates the perfect environment for it. Some team with cash that misses out on one of the other big name free agents and needs outside shooting(Chicago perhaps?) will probably throw an MLE size salary at him and though they have spent a lot, I really can't see the Magic pushing thier salary numbers north of 85 million just to retain Redick.

Who knows...perhaps I'm underestimating them.

Dro210
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
UGH! I hate Duke.... But I'd love to see Redick play for us next year. He's such a pure shooter, and he's really worked hard to make himself into a legit NBA player.

No doubt playing himself out of our price range right now tho.

Libri
07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
J.J. Redick is close to signing a three-year offer sheet worth about $19 million with the Chicago Bulls, a league executive told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-redickbulls070910

benefactor
07-10-2010, 12:06 AM
J.J. Redick is close to signing a three-year offer sheet worth about $19 million with the Chicago Bulls, a league executive told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-redickbulls070910

Some team with cash that misses out on one of the other big name free agents and needs outside shooting(Chicago perhaps?) will probably throw an MLE size salary at him and though they have spent a lot, I really can't see the Magic pushing thier salary numbers north of 85 million just to retain Redick.

:smokin

EricB
07-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Good call.

Chicago is gonna be a hell of a team next year.