PDA

View Full Version : C'mon Fin, do the right thing.

roycrikside
03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
If you're really the classy pro everyone says you are, then face the music, realize your time is done, and go to Pop's office and volunteer to wear the suit the rest of the year. WR Isaac Bruce of the San Francisco 49ers did this last year with Mike Singletary, and you should follow his example. Not only did he have a better career in his sport than you did in yours, but he even had more left in the tank when he chose to sit than you do.

Pop either doesn't have the brains or the balls to ask you to do it, so for the good of the team, you should make the decision for him.

Even if Pop has no intentions of playing Ian/Hairston, at least with you wearing a suit, it will force those guys to dress for the games.

NO MORE IAN IN SUITS!

:flag:

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2010, 12:32 AM
It's not on Finley, it's on the coach..

Being an NBA player, Finley is obviously competitive and believes in his own abilities..he's one of those guys that actually cares about winning, so he's naturally competitive, so he obviously must believe he still has game..

It's on the coach to make these types of decisions..

Chieflion
03-01-2010, 12:35 AM
It is not Finley's fault. Sure he can offer to be in a suit, but it would not force Pop to play Ian and Malik.

TIMMYD!
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I agree with Chief, even if he were to do that Ian and Malik wouldn't be sure locks to get PT.

SenorSpur
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
As wonderful of a thought as that is, the fact is Finley's been a wasted roster spot for about 2 seasons now. As I look at the other rosters of the other playoff-contending teams, the Spurs have probably as much or more dead weight than most. Mainly, due to Pop's allegiance to HIS guys and his mistrust of young players.

EricB
03-01-2010, 01:52 AM
You guys do realize the Tim Duncan loves finley as much or more than pop.....

bigdog
03-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Duncan is one of the biggest Finley fans that has ever existed. If it weren't for Duncan or Pop, I'm sure Finley would be gone.

SenorSpur
03-01-2010, 02:48 AM
So what. Duncan was also good buds and best friends with both Antonio Daniels and Malik Rose. That doesn't mean it would've been a good idea to keep them longer than they did either.

That said, I do find it odd that Duncan is such a fan of Fins.

Sean Cagney
03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Duncan is one of the biggest Finley fans that has ever existed. If it weren't for Duncan or Pop, I'm sure Finley would be gone.

I forgive Duncan since he lead us to 4 rings but it's over for FIN! PERIOD! I am sure he does not walk up to POP and say start that guy or play him mins now! Thats is Pops fault and feels he owes the guy for signing here! Finley had a great 06-07, but now it is over, period! He had some shots after that with the PHX game 08 and last year to lift us to the #3 seed, but honestly now it's over! Just sit and wait for a KERR TYPE GAME, thats all he can hope for and I hope he can do it.

sabar
03-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Telling your boss that you're open to doing nothing while still getting paid usually doesn't work. Even if you are on a contract and essentially useless.

raspsa
03-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Finley was actually doing ok before the injury. If he can get back to that level, he will be able to contribute in the remaining games. I don't think Pop or his teammates will give up on him.

Siebzehn50
03-01-2010, 05:22 AM
So Finley would basically be saying "Hey Pop, I don't really want to work, but I'll be glad to take that paycheck every week." Yeah, that conversation would go real well.

Fabbs
03-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Telling your boss that you're open to doing nothing while still getting paid usually doesn't work. Even if you are on a contract and essentially useless.
So if you are on a contract and essentially useless why are you on the contract? Why do you stand in the way of other useful workers?

And if you have been one of if not the most highly overpaid worker for your previous years, compound by 100X.

The op is making the point that if your boss is a selfish douche that is costing your fellow workers, then do the RIGHT thing. Because Finley is a selfish douche also?

AussieFanKurt
03-01-2010, 05:44 AM
just get Malik to replace him

Capt Bringdown
03-01-2010, 07:19 AM
As wonderful of a thought as that is, the fact is Finley's been a wasted roster spot for about 2 seasons now. As I look at the other rosters of the other playoff-contending teams, the Spurs have probably as much or more dead weight than most. Mainly, due to Pop's allegiance to HIS guys and his mistrust of young players.

Exactly. Dead weight = dead dynasty. There's no getting around it.
Even if our big 3 were young and vital again, I don't know if they could support all the losers on this current squad.

remingtonbo2001
03-01-2010, 07:24 AM
I'd put Bogans on the DL before Finley.

easy7
03-01-2010, 07:58 AM
If Pop would only check Fins label he would see it has expired.

Xevious
03-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Finley's career is over. He never recovered from his injury (not that he was great before it). I agree that he needs to be on the IR. Under no circumstances should he check in to any more games.

The Truth #6
03-01-2010, 08:26 AM
If Pop would only check Fins label he would see it has expired.

Pop might think he gets better with age?

silverblk mystix
03-01-2010, 09:03 AM
who says that duncan is a fin fan?...is this true? how do you know?

i find it hard to believe

ElNono
03-01-2010, 09:06 AM

And?

I thought the NBA was a business, that team comes first, yadda yadda yadda...

Or that only applies to players that can still play and have some sort of trade value?

ohmwrecker
03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Let me preface this by saying that Michael Finley has had a great career and has been a big contributor in his tenure with the Spurs. I think some of these comments are disrespectful and show very little acknowledgment. However, I do believe Finley's career has come to an end and he probably should have retired after last season.
Anyone who thinks that a professional athlete would go to a coach and ask not to be played, has obviously never played competitive sports. No matter how diminished Finley's skills have become, he must believe in his abilities in order to even hold a roster spot on a professional level. Say what you will about Finley, but he is a competitor and not the kind of person who quits if he feels he can contribute when his number is called.
Who gets playing time is a decision that falls squarely on Pop's shoulders and his alone.

SenorSpur
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Let's not "overrate" Finley and his contributions. If what Pop and fans wanted was nothing more than a spot-up shooter, then perhaps a case can be made that his tenure was suitable. However, I contend that the Spurs needed more from the position than that of a "one-trick pony", which is what Finley has been the past 5-6 years of his career.

Sure he's been a great teammate and consummate professional, but a spot-up shooter only - nothing more, nothing less. Despite that, his flaws have been glaring. The guy couldn't play defense, couldn't create is own shot, couldn't pass or make others around him better, and was a poor rebounder. He didn't suddenly devolve into this, he was this when he got here.

Furthermore, if Finley was still "all that", Dallas wouldn't have felt pressured to let him go via the NBA amnesty clause. As a max player, clearly, he was overpaid and his diminshed skills and limited on-court contributions simply did not justify his hefty salary. Of course, Cuban was a fool to reward him with a max contract in the first place, but that's another story.

Personally, after watching him decline from one of the most athletic SFs in the NBA to what he is now, I'm on record as never having wanted the Spurs to sign him in the first place. On the heels of the Spurs losing SJax a couple of summers before, I simply felt the Spurs needed a younger, more well-rounded player at that position. In the interim, they did nothing to replace the skills that Jack had or even attempt to develop a player that could mimic the tenacious defense that Bowen provided. Therefore the swing position, on the Spurs, has been in a state of flux it's been for years. While we've seen a wave of young, athletic, perimeter players enter the league over the past 5-7 years, how did the Spurs respond? They kept getting older. Once Bowen was traded, what a surprise it was to find out the roster was deficient in that area. That's how an organization gets pressured into making panic moves over the offseason.

The acquitision of Finley enabled Pop to stack more shooters around Duncan and begin his experimentation with "small-ball". In that respect, perhaps he's been just what Pop wanted. However in my opinion, he was most definitely NOT what the Spurs needed.

TJastal
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Let's not "overrate" Finley and his contributions. If what Pop and fans wanted was nothing more than a spot-up shooter, then perhaps a case can be made that his tenure was suitable. However, I contend that the Spurs needed more from the position than that of a "one-trick pony", which is what Finley has been the past 5-6 years of his career.

Sure he's been a great teammate and consummate professional, but a spot-up shooter only - nothing more, nothing less. Despite that, his flaws have been glaring. The guy couldn't play defense, couldn't create is own shot, couldn't pass or make others around him better, and was a poor rebounder. He didn't suddenly devolve into this, he was this when he got here.

Furthermore, if Finley was still "all that", Dallas wouldn't have felt pressured to let him go via the NBA amnesty clause. As a max player, clearly, he was overpaid and his diminshed skills and limited on-court contributions simply did not justify his hefty salary. Of course, Cuban was a fool to reward him with a max contract in the first place, but that's another story.

Personally, after watching him decline from one of the most athletic SFs in the NBA to what he is now, I'm on record as never having wanted the Spurs to sign him in the first place. On the heels of the Spurs losing SJax a couple of summers before, I simply felt the Spurs needed a younger, more well-rounded player at that position. In the interim, they did nothing to replace the skills that Jack had or even attempt to develop a player that could mimic the tenacious defense that Bowen provided. Therefore the swing position, on the Spurs, has been in a state of flux it's been for years. While we've seen a wave of young, athletic, perimeter players enter the league over the past 5-7 years, how did the Spurs respond? They kept getting older. Once Bowen was traded, what a surprise it was to find out the roster was deficient in that area. That's how an organization gets pressured into making panic moves over the offseason.

The acquitision of Finley enabled Pop to stack more shooters around Duncan and begin his experimentation with "small-ball". In that respect, perhaps he's been just what Pop wanted. However in my opinion, he was most definitely NOT what the Spurs needed.

You had to go and remind me that the spurs were actually paying this guy max money.. now I'm about to hurl

anakha
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
You had to go and remind me that the spurs were actually paying this guy max money.. now I'm about to hurl

The Spurs weren't paying him the max. He was getting it from Cuban.

But don't let the facts distract you from your rant.

boutons_deux
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Michael needs to put food on his family.

Dex
03-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Some of you seem to have strange ideas about how a locker room works.

Taking it to the Hole
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Pop might think he gets better with age?

Someone needs to tell Pop that players aren't like the wines he enjoys. In this case, the wine actually tastes worse with age.:whine

TJastal
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
The Spurs weren't paying him the max. He was getting it from Cuban.

But don't let the facts distract you from your rant.

Oh, yah that's right. He was waived and got his full salary from Cuban plus another 2.5m from the spurs.

Still sickening if you ask me.

anakha
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh, yah that's right. He was waived and got his full salary from Cuban plus another 2.5m from the spurs.

Still sickening if you ask me.

Blame Cuban for giving that much money.

Finley getting 2.5 per from the Spurs to average 10 points off the bench was a pretty decent deal back in the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons.

Should the contract have been shorter, without the player option? Hindsight being what it is, sure. But I don't recall hearing a lot of people complain about the contract back when he signed.

ElNono
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Some of you seem to have strange ideas about how a locker room works.

How does it work?

Kool Bob Love
03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
DON"T WORRY GUYS HE IS GONE...:toast
THANKS FOR 2007 FIN...:whine

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:
:flag:

Dex
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
How does it work?

I can't pretend to be the professional on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that players generally don't tell the coach who will play. Popovich would pop'a'bitch.

I also am pretty damn sure players never approach their coach to tell them they are done and not worth playing. NBA players, even the old ones, have way too much pride for that.

Still, it looks like Finley is on his way out, and the decision appeared to be somewhat mutual. So the OP kinda called it...kind of...

ElNono
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I can't pretend to be the professional on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that players generally don't tell the coach who will play.

I also am pretty damn sure players never approach their coach to tell them they are done and not worth playing. NBA players, even the old ones, have way too much pride for that.

Still, it looks like Finley is on his way out, and the decision appeared to be somewhat mutual. So the OP kinda called it...kind of...

I agree with your view. Thanks.

byrontx
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Fin took this to heart.

Chomag
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Hmm, and you were saying my friend?

sananspursfan21
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Michael Finley doesn't have a username for spurstalk. why address it to him when he'll probly never get it. ???

Shastafarian
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Michael Finley doesn't have a username for spurstalk. why address it to him when he'll probly never get it. ???

This thread worked. Let's make a Bogans one too.

SenorSpur
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Pop has such high regard for Finley, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who initiated this, with Finley's agreement, of course.

Chomag
03-01-2010, 01:52 PM

:tu:tu

jiggy_55
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM

LOL. Yes, somebody please start one now! A few hours left :p:

poop
03-01-2010, 01:57 PM
A MIRACLE! A DAY OF LORE! YEARS IN THE MAKING! LETS US ALL CeLEBRATE! IM GOING AT LUNCH TO GET DRUNK!!!!!!

poop
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Michael needs to put food on his family.

haha

Dro210
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

For real... I'm not gonna celebrate losing Fin. I like Fin, and it's not gonna make a big difference. If we could miraculously get rid of Bogans tho, I would dance in the streets.

Spursfan 87
03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
For real... I'm not gonna celebrate losing Fin. I like Fin, and it's not gonna make a big difference. If we could miraculously get rid of Bogans tho, I would dance in the streets.
:tu:downspin: