PDA

View Full Version : POLANDS PRESPECTIVE vol. II - I wasn’t there

polandprzem
03-01-2010, 06:04 AM
I wasn’t there or here or wherever when I could check on the spurs and how they doing. I was out on a vacation and when I came back I wanted to see if the spurs are ‘out’ as they were few games ago, out of their game and out of rhythm. I had good time but the spurs seems to have hard time as they struggled all the games after ASB (counting out thunder and suns game maybe if you want)

My invention is not on a high level so I will go simple and point the things out like I did previously with a sample size of pacers, sixers, pistons, thunder, rockets, suns.

Only three guys on the floor . Blair, Manu and Hill. What I mean is that those players giving their hustle into the game and if something goes wrong like broken play they still there to attack and play hard. They are not thinking about accuracy in play- they just play the game hard. Other players also may try to play hard but Blair, Manu and Hill actions brings effort on the court. They giving much needed impact no matter how deep in a mud they are or the team is. I’m praising too much I know.
Manu – his game came to him, shot is falling down and he still drilling inside the line to the basket in his most creative style. He is not as dynamic as he’s been but that kind of Manu is enough if he will keep that progress. Enough for what? Enough to be in contention for a title if the other tribes would click in.
Blair- unexplainable rebounder. Among the bigs he is a dwarf. Not as short as sequ but still mega short. How can he find a place to put his hands in the air and touch that orange ball giving himself a chance of having a reb in stats line? He keeps the ball in the air hitting it few times just to make sure it goes to the area he can take it or put back. One word for timing - fabulous. His O is getting better and he can finish off the pick and roll plays very well esp. going inside to the basket. His consistency earned him a stable rotation minutes.
Georgee – Gee this man is an explosion! An ultimate all around guy. His defense is still nice and his offense with the confidence has been outstanding lately especially on fast breaks, when he can create and seems not to be lost like almost every player on spurs roster [counting TP and MG out]. More then that Hill is starting to hit those baseline treys more regularly which helps spread the floor and create a space for down low plays.

No personality - spurs problem numero uno those last games [not looking back]. They seems to be forgetting who they are or maybe are still looking for identity and without it they will be knocked out not knowing what hit them. On offense they do not know what they are doing, at least it looks they don’t , it was seen especially before the Oklahoma game. One possession after another and opponents are not having troubles to erase the spurs play and then they must to create something out of the broken play. Now I was saying that other then those three guys up there mentioned, nobody else is much creative and that is the problem.
The offensive fluid flow is non-existent, prime examples – pacers, Sixers, Pistons. P&r was hold off and now RJ is standing there and do not know where to pass the ball. He thinks maybe here maybe there? Or might I shoot it? To the basket maybe? Shot to the basket? What will be the best solution in that hard situation I found myself in?

Thinking too much can kill the game. Many shots were hesitated esp. in City named Philadelphia long time ago. Spurs are rusty hesitators.
On defense? We got no fricking transition and I was on it on previous volume. Every team can run those spurs. Tim is not lightning fast so we are left without a big od D. Perimeter players caught off position again and again. They weren’t there where they were needed. (wow try to read my grammar fast!) No one was covering their men. I’m talking about guys on backcourt when they are sucked up down low by the opponents offense leaving three point line open with two or three enemies behind them. One pass and then what we hear is ‘swish’ – Price, Rip and other gunners have a vacation of their own.
Guys I know we do not have no inside force on D, but come on, you do not want to go fishing before the go fishing talk will start? Gosh, the spurs used to be great in protecting the three point lane and now teams easily can create open treys. Btw. slow down the guy with the basketball on a break! He can’t just run freely. He is there to kill spurs team with orange ball. And tell me that it (holding off that guy on open court) isn’t ABC of basketball when it comes to defense.

Intense, urgency – whoever was watching Indy game probably was wondering if the players are sleeping? Lack of constant aggression will make spurs fall and it did many times. They can bring the A game of intensity here and there but it is not enough. Other teams can storm us. Although games against Oklahoma, is Houston and versus Phoenix were the games where you could see spurs with better aggression and being more concentrated on details. That is what I like to see in spurs.
Looked like they feel the breath of a lottery behind and smell the playoffs ahead.

Bonner situation – right now is none. Pop will not spread the floor with him. A doghouse? Is there is a doghouse this season anyway? Players are going back and forth from it/to it – see mason situation and lineups changes.
To me it is bad that we can’t use Bonner three pointers. Pop buried him and Matt is now out of sync. He probably will not dig out of the hole also due to DeJuan production. If Mason is not on the floor we actually has no weapon on three point line.

Tony Parker- crucial for an offense. He knows the plays very well and can correct other players positions to set the offense. Also he is really good at penetrating and in a simple plays like give and go and he finishing cuts well. People do not realize how important he is to the spurs esp. knowing the system. Hopefully he will return to his old self bringing his body with him.

Oklahoma vs Houston. Both teams are not that great. We got win and a loss. In that inspiring win over Thunder I went not high on spurs however the spurs played better transition D and were effective on interior it still looks like work in progress. Their intensity matched the hot Thunder team and Manu was outstanding playing better and better. His passess and not giving up on a plays are what this team needs. He needs help though, he cannot be one warrior there, cause one day he can say I F this Sheet I’m not playing with you lazy bumps.

Haha, so many people are bitching on Houston game and that Pop is blind not seeing potential in Malik and Ian. Well Hairston had a big game, Mahinmi had not, but that is not as important as a team effort which was strange. They started the game not that bad, but Rockets were totally on another level in energy and execution our team could not match those Rockets in any facet of the game. Spurs started with big lineup and they folded. Pop used small ball to caught up. And they did. At last I was able to see small ball giving profits. People gatting back and staying with their man, also they were able to rebound. Rox are not that big team and the spurs matched with them well in sequ ball. Unfortunately first quarter set the game and Kevin Martin put a new life into Houston team. I smirked when he made bode Miller impression and find a way to the basket somewhere in the 3rd Q as I remember correctly.
Spurs in those games played similar but win lose situation changing perspective and fans are happy about thunder game and bitching about the other game.

Pop corn machine – every guy on a team was inside this machine they did not knew when they will come on the floor or maybe they will be needed to heat up the bench all game. Some players could not deal with that great like Mason. :corn: do not care. He thinks the players are there to contribute no matter the circumstances. He is just there to set minutes and decide which players gel best and what is the most effective. Stubborn Pop unfortunately is not giving much of a chance to Malik and Ian. His method is to put guys that are not making stupid mistakes even though they might play worse. I think.
Our coach to my peace is not slowly setting the rotations and we will see more stable minutes and gelling those last 6 weeks of a season. If not, if spurs are not going to be consistent. Be prepare spurs great fans to exit in the first round, and it will be a fall of Popovich and great players he coaches.

:corn: no butter

POSITIVES
From team A to team F spurs made progress, from sleepwalking game in Indiana to the war-like game vs Suns. Spurs are playing more fluidly and the ball moves more smoothly. They upped their aggression and more important they keeping it up for 48minutes. Those last three games are encouraging watching the spurs having energy and players finding their spots. Richard. Umm when Pop decided to take away letter P and gave Jefferson letter S, the player started to play and not trying to think too much. We can only hope he can build from that. His defense individually and esp. team defense progresses those last few games. It was nice to see him with good rotation and knowing where he is and being confident in where he is.
Hairston might earn some minutes, his unpredictable game and good hustle D can give some profits.

Hopefully spurs can be there where we want them to be. Especially potentially wise. They /every single player/ cannot tell us in the summer I wasn't there with pruduction.

FREE THOUGHTS:

Screw Bogans – If Malik can do on D what Keith can? You know who to pick, plus things like being faster and create offense, well it might help the team.

Ian a savior – missing rotations, makes stupid mistakes, goes for fakes and was quite overlooked by the Houston defense. A savior? Hard to tell especially when you think about playoffs and an effect on the spurs play with those mistakes. I mean guys really when you pick some garbage it does not makes you Tony Soprano.

I eat way too much lately

Allstar - SDC bad, Pierce cocky mofo, main game okay, shoot stars fun, dribbling passing for reacreation watching.
BUT BEAST WAS IN DALLAS! Amazing performance by spurs player - no matter the MVP of the game he battled Big Lopez! and went victoriuous.

After Antonio came back with hyperextended knee in Suns game he was hitting everything, maybe it helped him so he should hyperxtend every part of his body. (His wife would be satisfied by the situation as well) Anyway hopefully he is/will be okay.

You want to interview pop in the postgame? – you better be prepared, many times pop proved people there occur to be pathetic on many occasions in the postgame. Gregg goes gives a statement and it mostly should end on that stage.

I overlooked Timmay – I know that – sorry duncan228, but next volume will be concentrated on him.

Addition – a new star is born !

Congrats LJ and Kori :toast
You took most of us by surprise :)

Let all your wishes come true

:flag:

Ps. Any mistakes you can point out. I will be glad.
Cheers

Brazil
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice read Poland.

I don't get your takes regarding Ian. With the minutes he has and the "one day you play 5 minutes and then you go for one month of DNP" nobody is capable to know what we have with Ian, of course he is making mistakes.

romain.star
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
good work poland! thanx for the read

i can see what you mean with your point n°2 but i have a feeling that coming PO time, whoever is in front of them, the lads (if healthy) will step up big time, atoning for all the fustrating mistakes they made during the regular season. (i had the same feeling last year though!)

polandprzem
03-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks you guys !

I'm talking about Ian regarding him being a savior. He is really not. To assume he will make any good impact or maybe will help the team in long run is a mistake. now it's even too late. six weeks is kinda nothing.

romain - yup, but to step up thay need to have their best game in the blood in a meaning that they need to play consistant heavy ball agressive ball all the time. No letdowns. The 'about time' is acually over, so we put our hopes closer to miracle.

romain.star
03-01-2010, 09:29 AM
yep miracle is the word...

and i believe in miracles !

as for ian, he sure is not the savior of the 09/10 spurs, it's way too late but over the long run, the guy (if healthy) can definitively make a significant impact for the Spurs frontcourt. Not that he will... but he clearly has what it takes to be a very good NBA player

Brazil
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks you guys !

I'm talking about Ian regarding him being a savior. He is really not. To assume he will make any good impact or maybe will help the team in long run is a mistake. now it's even too late. six weeks is kinda nothing.

romain - yup, but to step up thay need to have their best game in the blood in a meaning that they need to play consistant heavy ball agressive ball all the time. No letdowns. The 'about time' is acually over, so we put our hopes closer to miracle.

I never believed at Ian the savoir and I always believed in Ian a good contributor unfortunately Pop seems to think otherwise. In no time we will see him contribute for another team like Theo / Tyrus / Scola...

I just find you're harsh "missing rotations, makes stupid mistakes, goes for fakes and was quite overlooked by the Houston defense" on Ian considering the circonstances. For me, all he did with the minutes he has, is quite good: he is making mistakes like a rookie not stupid mistakes.

polandprzem
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
For an NBA player those mistakes are unacceptable. And he is not a rookie allthough he did not played much.
If he still makes errors like this it's tough to have a faith in him. He should correct them long time ago.

I've made 2 sentences about Ian and all of sudden it's Mahinmi thread :)

romain.star
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I've made 2 sentences about Ian and all of sudden it's Mahinmi thread :)

yeah well 09/10 Sprustalk is all about role players (Hill, Blair, Ian, RJ, Finley...)

people seem to get tired of the Big 3 members...