PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird: LeBron will be better than all of us

XFactor
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
When I watch LeBron James a lot of times he's just out there teasin' with the other teams. You know he's getting other people involved early, now he can make the shots. He's just awesome to watch. He's one player in the league that I think that will probably be better than all of us when it's all said and done.

TIMMYD!
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Winning a ring first would be a start.

Phillip
03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Winning a ring first would be a start.

takes a team effort to win a ring. lebron. his teammates. his coaching staff. the front office. everything. he definitely has a good team now, but at this point, they are really being held back by an absolutely pathetic coach. if someone like Pop or Phil was coaching that team, they would win the championship easily, because they wouldnt entirely rely on Lebron driving 1-on-5 because they are too stupid to use him in other manners, such as the high post, triple threat position, or having others facilitate the offense more and let him get easy buckets off of good off-ball movement/screens. Mike Brown is an epic moron.

Amaso
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
It doesn't mean as much for someone who isn't the GOAT to make this statement than If MJ had said it. Anyways, it's going to be VERY hard for Lebron James to be considered the GOAT without 3 to 4 championships at the least.

Cane
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Barring significant injury, its inevitable that Lebron will win a few championships unless another GOAT candidate gets drafted within a handful of years.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I never saw Magic or Bird or Kareem play at their peaks(other than highlights, but there isn't enough game footage to see everything), so I can't speak on them, but Lebron is the best regular season player I've ever seen outside of Jordan..even better than prime Shaq IMO..

He has to do it in the Finals first though..consistently playing well in the Finals is a key criteria in these types of rankings..

Darthkiller
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
bird at his prime averaged 30 10 and 7 , won 3 straight mvps(only player in history to do that) in the most competitive era in the nba , was considered to be the GOAT before jordan won 6 rings.

lebron would have to accomplish a lot to top that.

mogrovejo
03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
LeBron has a very decent chance of being considered GOAT as long as he has health and works for good GMs through out his career.

JMarkJohns
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
bird at his prime averaged 30 10 and 7 , won 3 straight mvps(only player in history to do that) in the most competitive era in the nba , was considered to be the GOAT before jordan won 6 rings.

lebron would have to accomplish a lot to top that.

Great post. Lost in almost every GOAT thread is Bird. Jordan surpassed him because of amazing athletic ability, but from what I saw (late 86-on), Bird was just as competitive and arguably got more out of less physical ability. Smartest player I've ever seen. I've heard Russell, Wilt, Magic and Kareem bandied about as potential challengers to Jordan, but seldom does Bird get the credit he deserves.

DesignatedT
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
depends on the titles.

Killakobe81
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
He COULD be ... I approve of this message ...
BUT he needs titles at LEAST 4 ...

Lebron has the talent, physical attributes to surpass MJ but does he have the MJ drive?!
Or the Magic?
OR duncan's
or Kobe's ?

MiamiHeat
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I've been saying this for years

LeBron is the one guy in the NBA since Jordan that has me believe he can challenge GOAT status.

not saying he will, he has a LOT to do... but he has the potential.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
My man Heat, do you think Lebron would surpass Kobe on the All-Time list if he wins 1 title?..

kingmalaki
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
It doesn't mean as much for someone who isn't the GOAT to make this statement than If MJ had said it. Anyways, it's going to be VERY hard for Lebron James to be considered the GOAT without 3 to 4 championships at the least.

Talk about Laker bias. When is Bird not in the GOAT convo?

namlook
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
takes a team effort to win a ring. lebron. his teammates. his coaching staff. the front office. everything. he definitely has a good team now, but at this point, they are really being held back by an absolutely pathetic coach.

Lebron is not being held back by the coach of the year. If the Celtics can win with Doc Rivers who is not any better than Mike Brown then Mike Brown isn't going to hold the Cavs back. Lebron has a roster stacked with talent now. If he doesn't win now it's on him.

Lebron won't be considered the GOAT without 6 rings or more. That's the reality of the situation.

XFactor
03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
All Lebron has to do is cut on his salary sign with a team bloated with talent and win champions. Look at Michael Jordan, he donated some of his salary to keep Pippen and that helped him win titles

JoeTait75
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
It doesn't mean as much for someone who isn't the GOAT to make this statement than If MJ had said it.

Yeah, who the fuck is this Bird guy, anyway?