PDA

View Full Version : Tim Thomas caring for ill wife...

sribb43
03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/030210dnspomavsider.2d636f4.html

Tim Thomas caring for ill wife; Dallas Mavericks don't expect him back this season

05:51 PM CST on Monday, March 1, 2010
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For most of the last two months, Tim Thomas hasn't been with the Mavericks because some things are far more important than basketball.

The 6-10 forward has been caring for his wife, Tricia, who has been suffering from serious health issues for over a year now.

"I had to give up doing something I love to take care of someone I love," Thomas said.

During his time away from the team, the Mavericks and Thomas have not commented on the reason for his absence. Every game, the same explanation is given: not with the team, personal reasons.

But this had nothing to do with any kind of truant behavior such as the Mavericks went through with Shawne Williams.

This episode is much more painful for Thomas and the organization.

"Right now, my wife has to be my priority," Thomas said while talking publicly Monday about the situation for the first time. "The Mavs have been tremendous through this whole thing. They've allowed me to do what I have to do."

Thomas wants to keep the nature of his wife's illness private. But he said she has been dealing with the situation and there is hope that things are improving.

The Mavericks have given Thomas all the latitude he needs to care for his wife and their three young children.

"Tim has the organization's full support and understanding," coach Rick Carlisle said. "The door's open for him to return if that becomes a viable option for him and his family. But we completely understand the urgency of his situation. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with him and his family."

At this point, there is no plan for him to return this season. Thomas said a best-case scenario would be that things turn for the better, and he might be able to help the team in the playoffs.

Thomas' season started with knee surgery that kept him out of the first 11 games. He then averaged 7.5 points in 16 minutes while appearing 18 games with one start. He's missed the last 16 games and 22 of the last 23. The team has missed him, particularly now when they are short on big men.

"I guess this season just wasn't meant to be for me," Thomas said. "But I believe everything happens for a reason. I've been working out as much as I can, but as of now, I've got to be here for my wife and kids.

"I miss being with the guys, but some things are more important. I hope they can win a championship and I can help them celebrate it."

Texas Chili Dog
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Damn, hope she gets better.

Ghazi
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Hope his wife gets better.

I really thought he couldve been a big contributor come playoff time... guess not. Najera at backup PF can suffice I guess once Damp comes back.

Allanon
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah that sounds serious... sucks. Hope she gets better.

dallaskd
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
wow, i had no idea. hope she gets well. we need him at PF come playoff time.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah Thomas is a little too streaky for my taste and struggles defense. I'll be happy with Najera as backup PF.

pking
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah Thomas is a little too streaky for my taste and struggles defense. I'll be happy with Najera as backup PF.

Nice compassion you're showing there, bud :lol

mavsfan1000
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice compassion you're showing there, bud :lol
Sorry if it sounded like I was dissing Thomas. I'm just being honest on what I think our best chemistry lineups are for the playoffs. Hope his wife is ok.

TheManFromAcme
03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Prayers for Tim and his wife.

Come_On_Now
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Tim had some great offensive showings in limited minutes with this team. Would love him back for the playoffs, but he is where he is supposed to be right now. My prayers go out to Tim, his family and especially, his wife.

sribb43
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
He single handedly won the Mavs the game against the Cavs back in december when Dirk was out

mavsfan1000
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Tim had some great offensive showings in limited minutes with this team. Would love him back for the playoffs, but he is where he is supposed to be right now. My prayers go out to Tim, his family and especially, his wife.
That is true but you can't expect him to be right back where he was after such a long break.

Texas Chili Dog
03-02-2010, 12:43 AM
He single handedly won the Mavs the game against the Cavs back in december when Dirk was out

That was one of the three games I have been to this season. :hat

HornetLoveJones
03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
best wishes to his wife

Goran Dragic
03-02-2010, 02:10 AM

You wonder why people hate you.

duncan228
03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Best to both of them. Hope she recovers soon. And props to the Mavs organization for supporting him through this.

blkroadrunners
03-02-2010, 03:24 AM
It sucks how players have to leave the team in order to support their loved ones. I wish him and AI's fam the best.

nkdlunch
03-02-2010, 10:02 AM
good husband. Wonder what Tigers Wood would have done in that situation?

mavsfan1000
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
You wonder why people hate you.
Cause I'm brutally honest? For every one big game he has, he has 5 poor shooting games. Najera isn't the shooter Thomas is but he does everything else better. Marion will probably be taking all the back-up minutes at the 4 anyway and Dampier at the 5. Only a strange occasion would Thomas have gotten minutes in the playoffs. Sorry if I sound insensitive about the issue. He should be taking care of his wife no matter what.