PDA

View Full Version : Second Thoughts on Michael Finley's Exit

timvp
03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
When I first heard of Michael Finley being released, I thought it was a good move by both sides. Finley gets to go play for a championship contender and possibly get more minutes, while the Spurs cull the swingman herd and open up an opportunity for Malik Hairston. I posted my thanks to Finley and gave him props for being a model teammate over the years.

But after hearing more details surrounding Finley's release, I've changed my tune. From various accounts, Finley had been whining privately for a while before telling Pop he wanted out.

I can understand wanting more playing time but in this situation it was a very weak move on Finley's part. First of all, the Spurs needed him to be a veteran leader this season and help out the new players -- not whining behind the scenes about playing time.

Secondly, how the heck can Finley complain about minutes? He's been a pretty damn bad basketball player for years now and has gotten way more minutes than he deserved. Pop basically ended Bruce Bowen's career just so Finley could play more. There hasn't been a Spurs player in recent history who has gotten so many unwarranted minutes. Even this season, he inexplicably began the season as a starter. If he didn't miss a couple months due to a mild sprained ankle, he probably would still be playing too many minutes.

Third of all, how can Finley bail on a team that was so good to him during the 2007 championship run? Everyone said that winning for Fin was a big motivation. They treated him as he if wasn't the easily replaceable bit player he was at the time.

The Spurs give him a champion, give him an abundance of minutes, showered him with praise and he repays the team by asking out of his contract? That is just lame. The least he could have done is be the positive locker room influence who would be willing to go down with the ship if he couldn't help steady it.

Hopefully Fin signs with a contending team and gets plenty of unwarranted minutes. That would create one less contender.

As far as the Spurs are concerned, it's a glorious day that the Finley reign is finally over. He can take his bandwagoning ways and hit the road. I'll remember him as a coat-tailing ex-Sun Maverick who wanted out when the going got tough.

Good riddance.

4>0rings
03-02-2010, 01:36 AM
I felt the same way because from what I heard Fin wanted out and after all the Spurs have done for him, for him to be crying was a bitch move. What ever though, glad he's gone and I doubt he's going to play for another championship team cause if they give him minutes, they are likely to lose.

RobSM64
03-02-2010, 01:39 AM
+1 qft

DesignatedT
03-02-2010, 01:39 AM
one less distraction.

timtonymanu
03-02-2010, 01:42 AM
when i found out the news, i was relieved but still appreciated what finley did here.

after hearing why he wanted to leave, i got to say "are you fucking kidding me, fin?"

he started all last season when he was clearly done and Bowen was left in the dirt. If Finley didnt lose weight in summer 08, he would have looked like how he looks now: done. Finley should be the last player to complain about minutes. Look at Mason/Hairston/Ian. Hell even Hill last year. Except for Mason, these guys just shut up on the bench and when they play, they play. These guys are clearly better than Fin talent wise.

Finley was overplayed here and he should know that. Still i got to appreciate what he did here but he could have at least left with some respect like Bowen/Horry/Fab.

Baseline
03-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Beautiful, Timvp.

Libri
03-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Could this have an affect on team chemistry? It's now confirmed that both Mason and Finley were unhappy and were complaining about their minutes.

timtonymanu
03-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Could this have an affect on team chemistry? It's now confirmed that both Mason and Finley were unhappy and were complaining about their minutes.

Mason had a right to complain about minutes. He did well for us last year. Finley shouldnt have had a problem. Chances are if Spurs didnt resign him in 08, he would have been retired with Horry. The FO gave him a gift to play for 2 more years and earn money when he didnt deserve it.

J_Paco
03-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Wow, pretty sad revelation. And, I just got done praising the asshole in the other thread. It's sad to see the team in its current state, but to know that guys want to bail on a great bunch of guys like Timmy, Tony and Manu is the saddest part. That asshole should be thanking the Spurs that they gave him the only championship ring to his name and that they gave him a ridiculous 2 yr./5 million dollar deal at 35 years old. Well, this is the way a 36 year-old, over-the-hill bum like Finley repays the team. Good fuckin' riddance after all, you piece of shit....

Oh, and fuck him for being one of the original bitches to whine about Bruce's "dirty" tactics.....

:splitter:splitter:splitter

Flux451
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Yeah, good riddance.

All this bitching from players who aren't even consistent can eat a you know what. I am over Mason...and at least Bogans gives his right arm on every play. He is still learning, maybe by next year he will get the system. Until then unleash Hairston. It's good to see Ian in a uniform, thank FIN.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I find it funny and ironic more than anything..

All this time, most of us Spurs fans have been complaining that Finley has been playing too much, but he himself felt like he hasn't played enough LOL..classic..

I don't know if I believe the reason though..I'm sure he wanted more minutes, but he can't actually believe he'll get them somewhere else..Pop also must know that Finley is done, despite his comments..it's pretty obvious to everybody..

Hopefully it opens up minutes for Hairston..during the game tonight, Sean said that the Spurs wanted to get Hairston some minutes and experience, which was part of the reason the coaches didn't want to cooperate with Finley's request for more minutes..do you think Sean knows anything, timvp, or probably speculating?..

Thompson
03-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Meh. He wants to play. At least he never whined to the press or the public. I can't really hold it against him (not the little I've heard about, anyway). Even if he was wrong for doing it, it's not reprehensible, it's just a mistake on his part. Good luck Finley.

Now if we can somehow switch Bogan's and Hairston's roles in our rotation and get Ian some minutes, I won't be so disappointed this year.

elbamba
03-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I never really liked the Finley pick up and I am glad to see him gone. Finley has been eating up minutes and unnecessary cap space for far too long. I will be amazed if anyone actually picks him up. What good team could he make better?

elbamba
03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Not making any baskets the past three games despite shooting too many will not look very good if you are looking for a quality shooting guard.

alchemist
03-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I guess now we know who Bowen was talking about on his twitter.

Only thing I hate is that Finley should've said something to Pop before the trade deadline.

:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss

poop
03-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Meh. He wants to play. At least he never whined to the press or the public. I can't really hold it against him (not the little I've heard about, anyway). Even if he was wrong for doing it, it's not reprehensible, it's just a mistake on his part. Good luck Finley.

Now if we can somehow switch Bogan's and Hairston's roles in our rotation and get Ian some minutes, I won't be so disappointed this year.

i agree with this, i wanted Fin out of the rotation as much as anyone but im not sure that wanting to play more makes him an 'asshole'. obviously all agreed that he was over the hill. but hes acted respectfully, at least publically the whole time hes been here. now if he comes out and says crap in the media about the spurs then i will be the first to smear him

jiggy_55
03-02-2010, 02:03 AM

Only thing I hate is that Finley should've said something to Pop before the trade deadline.

What did Bowen say on twitter? I remember reading something, but completely forgot. I thought it was something in a way addressed to Mason?

Sean Cagney
03-02-2010, 02:04 AM
I never really liked the Finley pick up and I am glad to see him gone. Finley has been eating up minutes and unnecessary cap space for far too long. I will be amazed if anyone actually picks him up. What good team could he make better?

I loved it in 06 and some in 07, but after that he didn't have shyt left to give IMO!!!!!! So in 08 he was okay at times, but not worthy of a starter nor for a title team! Pop played him way too long IMO and signing him again was a mistake IMO! He hate shyt left but we extended his contract.

timvp
03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Hopefully it opens up minutes for Hairston..during the game tonight, Sean said that the Spurs wanted to get Hairston some minutes and experience, which was part of the reason the coaches didn't want to cooperate with Finley's request for more minutes..do you think Sean knows anything, timvp, or probably speculating?..

Sean knows. He was talking about the conversation at the coaches' dinner after Finley bailed. When Sean actually goes on road trips, he gets good info because he hangs out with either Pop or TP.

Meh. He wants to play.

What's funny is he ended up starting his final game as a Spur. To show how bad he wanted to play, he finished the game 0-for-2 in ten minutes to go along with no rebounds, no assists, no steals, no rebounds, no fouls and a plus/minus of -15. Way to state your case for more PT, Fin.

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Not surprising to hear. Finley's always been a tad bit overly-sensitive - even in his Dallas days. He was brutally criticized, by fans and media alike, for several seasons, because his production did not measure up to his contract. He was never a public whiner, but there were stories of his silent displeasure behind the scenes. He played the victim role pretty well, following his release from the club.

Athletes are always the last to know when their skills have declined. Fin is a prideful man, who was good in his prime. Whlie he reinvented himself as a spot-up shooter, the truth is he was clearly on the decline when he arrived in S.A.

The relationship between him and the Spurs was an equally productive one. And he got a championship out of it. Though the fact remains, he probably stayed a couple of years longer than he should have. In fact, any time he spent on the court proved counterproductive, in my opinion.

Good luck finding more work this season.

L.I.T
03-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Mason had a right to complain about minutes. He did well for us last year. Finley shouldnt have had a problem. Chances are if Spurs didnt resign him in 08, he would have been retired with Horry. The FO gave him a gift to play for 2 more years and earn money when he didnt deserve it.

Mason was overplayed last year because of injuries and late in the season and the playoffs was exposed. He's 20 minute per game player who comes in hits a couple threes, stretches the defense and sits down. Aaaand that's about the role that he was playing this year. He wanted to get paid this offseason and needed the minutes to do so. It was Mason's agent who blew the situation out of proportion.

Finley on the other hand, if timvp's source is correct, just seemed to revert back to type. If I remember correctly, he also left Dallas privately complaining about his lack of playing time. It appears his ego hasn't declined commensurate to his skills.

Again, for all of the (valid and invalid) criticisms of the FO, it seems they have always tried to honor player's requests: Jack McClinton/Haislip/Finley just this season and others that I can't think of off the top of my head. It seems they even tried to trade Mason at his request.

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 02:15 AM

What exactly did Bowen say on his Twitter?

Capt Bringdown
03-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Well put. If he would have retired last year, it would have been best for him and the Spurs.
As it stands, he goes out as a grasping, sad loser. Another dumbo jock that doesn't know what time it is.

So much for the "classy vet" routine, eh? Get lost, Finley.

HarlemHeat37
03-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Bowen called out somebody on the Spurs that was complaining about his PT a few weeks ago on Twitter..it was around the time Mason's complaints became public, so we all thought it was him, even though Bruce said that he wasn't talking about Roger..

So I guess it would make sense if he was talking about Finley..I imagine their relationship might have soured with Finley taking his PT last year despite Bowen having more left in the tank..who knows though, maybe that's false..

raspsa
03-02-2010, 02:23 AM
I give Finley the benefit of the doubt. "Whining" has such a negative connotation and seems to be at odds with what we know about Finley's character, that of being a team guy and a true professional. He may have sounded off his concerns and issues with some people, its only human nature and completely understandable and he did it in private. To call this "whining" isn't fair IMO. He didn't hold a gun to the FO's head to get his current contract.. it was seen as a mutually beneficial deal at the time. If expectations weren't met on both sides, that's too bad but surely this is the best outcome for both parties.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Best news of the whole situation? We will never have to see Finley guarding guys like Lamar Odom or Lebron James ever again!!:toast:toast

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Bowen called out somebody on the Spurs that was complaining about his PT a few weeks ago on Twitter..it was around the time Mason's complaints became public, so we all thought it was him, even though Bruce said that he wasn't talking about Roger..

So I guess it would make sense if he was talking about Finley..I imagine their relationship might have soured with Finley taking his PT last year despite Bowen having more left in the tank..who knows though, maybe that's false..

That was the sad fact in all of this - that Bowen got kicked to the curb and Finley stayed. Bowen was a key contributor for 3 Spurs championship teams. He certainly deserved a better end of his career. Pop cowed down for Finley a bit too much for my taste.

My only regret is that the Spurs didn't flip Finley's expiring contract for another player, like Salmons, who could've come in here and provided some meaningful, productive minutes. I wonder now if Pop has that regret too?

spurs10
03-02-2010, 02:31 AM
This might be a long shot, but does anyone think he was taking the high road knowing he belonged in a suit and he would be helping the team if he walked away? Surely he knows his best days are behind him. He always seemed to be grateful for the opportunity the Spurs gave him....again it's a long shot...

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 02:34 AM
This might be a long shot, but does anyone think he was taking the high road knowing he belonged in a suit and he would be helping the team if he walked away? Surely he knows his best days are behind him. He always seemed to be grateful for the opportunity the Spurs gave him....again it's a long shot...

I doubt it. Athletes are usually the LAST to know that their skills have declined to the point where they're no longer productive.

spurs10
03-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I doubt it. Athletes are usually the LAST to know that their skills have declined to the point where they're no longer productive.
Probably so....it's just hard to imagine him not knowing how badly he was playing...."ball don't lie"....

Xevious
03-02-2010, 03:41 AM
What title contender is going to give Fin meaningful minutes at this stage in his career? If anybody picks him up, it'll be someplace like Boston just for insurance. He's going to ride the bench on any contender.

NFGIII
03-02-2010, 03:42 AM
I find it funny and ironic more than anything..

All this time, most of us Spurs fans have been complaining that Finley has been playing too much, but he himself felt like he hasn't played enough LOL..classic..

I don't know if I believe the reason though..I'm sure he wanted more minutes, but he can't actually believe he'll get them somewhere else..Pop also must know that Finley is done, despite his comments..it's pretty obvious to everybody..

Very ironic indeed. I was one of those who wanted Fin to go since he obviously wasn't up to the task but had no idea that he was whinning in private. My opinion of him has drastically slipped. Unfortunate and sad that he went to these measures on order to get his release so he could have more PT for another team. And what teams are going to give him that PT based on his performace with the Spurs? Not many and if no offers come his way he deserves this.

Fin - you came to the Spurs in order to win a ring and they helped you achieve your dreams. You actually slept with the game ball the night of the chanpionship so you could be extend/ be in the moment. What are you thinking at this moment? Do you really think you can be a significant part of a championship team? Sir, your days are over and you had a chance to at least go out with the team that helped you win a ring. And you repay then with this? Shame on you, sir. And at this time I use the word lightly.

But it takes an extraordinary person to recognize that they are either at the top or over the hill and retire accordingly. Some would think that ahletics would be able to know when this moment comes along and leave with grace and class. Obviously that usually isn't the case.

Maybe I'm being too harsh or somewhat negative about his tenure here. As time passes maybe his leagacy will improve, We'll see.

NZ Spurs
03-02-2010, 03:52 AM
So when a team trades or fails to re-sign a player that has been a model team member; contributed to the community; mentored younger players; and played a role as a player, it is simply a business decision. However, when a player at the end of their career looks out for their best interests he is selfish and a bandwagoner?

objective
03-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Fin - you came to the Spurs in order to win a ring and they helped you achieve your dreams. You actually slept with the game ball the night of the chanpionship so you could be extend/ be in the moment.

I always found it weird how on the dvd they give the ball/trophy to Finley. And now he cries his way out? I'm happy he's gone, but it's weird the absolute loyalty and adoration he's been shown by the Spurs for a guy that never really did anything after the final game against Denver in the first round of 2007.

Xevious
03-02-2010, 04:57 AM
So when a team trades or fails to re-sign a player that has been a model team member; contributed to the community; mentored younger players; and played a role as a player, it is simply a business decision. However, when a player at the end of their career looks out for their best interests he is selfish and a bandwagoner?
What best interests are you talking about? The Spurs are paying him 2,500,000 dollars this season whether he plays or not. He's not playing for a contract like Mason is. No team is going to sign him beyond this season, nor is he going to find many more minutes elsewhere. His basketball career is done. Least he could do is collect his paycheck here, help out our young guys, play minutes where they come, and retire with dignity.

greyforest
03-02-2010, 05:17 AM
uhh the last 50 minutes finley played his stat sheet was nearly completely filled with 0

finley is done, and is also delusional

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2010, 05:37 AM
so who is going to get finleys minutes or pt? hairston? is haislip still on the roster?

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-02-2010, 05:40 AM

I agree, don't buy it that Fin's been a locker room cancer and I'm pretty sure he has let Pop know about his desire to get minutes or be moved prior to the trade deadline, which also explains Bowen's strange twitter message.I for one appreciate he did it silently and behind the scenes, unlike Mase and his agent.

Anyway, a bit of speculation, but the Spurs must have offered a package of Mase+Fin for Salmons, which would have made a lot of sense for both teams. Either the Spurs really didn't want to take on a contract for next season, or Chicago tried to squeeze a 1st rounder or another incentive out of the deal that put the Spurs off.

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2010, 05:44 AM
i dont know why we resign him when his contract was up, and we did give him a ring...fck pop and FO should learn from this regarding to veterans

raspsa
03-02-2010, 06:01 AM
If it was Finley Bowen was referring to, I think it says something about Bowen that he would be criticizing someone who had raised his issues in private the way it should be rather than Mason who opted to go the public route.

lennyalderette
03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Best news of the whole situation? We will never have to see Finley guarding guys like Lamar Odom or Lebron James ever again!!:toast:toast
hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was probably the biggest finley hater on here, but really he hurt the team when he was playing. gave us nothing and allowed everything to happen. his numbers told me everything the past 2years. i didnt used to be a finley hater , he was a great role player in the past still sucked at defense but at least caused concern at the three or an occasional drive, but i think his selfishness in P.T and pops love for him created a monster, who now thinks since pop played him so much then every coach should want him on their team! this guy is delusional!!!IM IN SHOCK I NEVER THOUGHT THIS DAY WOULD COME, AND IM ECSTATIC!! GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE YOU OLD DOG!!!! HOW DARE YOU TRY AND COMMAND TIME FROM HILL AND HAIRSTON GINOBILI YOU HAD YOUR RUN YOU 37 YEAR OLD SON OF A BITCH!!
NOW BACK TO THE OTHER POSTS:wakeup

mountainballer
03-02-2010, 06:16 AM
I wouldn't want to bash Fin, but in general I agree with the statement, that we don't need to do all this "class act", "only the best", "thanks for the memories" stuff.
in 2005 Finley choose the Spurs, because this was by far the most promising option for him to get his ring.
(he choose between Spurs, heat and Suns)
money wasn't the major issue, because he got another 50 million from Cuban the next 3 years.
only Heat could have offered him significantly more money than the Spurs, but I can't remember if they offered him the whole MLE.
(Suns already had signed Raja Bell for the MLE)
however, Spurs gave him all they could (they had signed Oberto for half of the MLE before) and in 2008 they gave him a pretty fair extension with 2 yeas and 5 million. (for a then 35 years old). I don't think any NBA team would have payed him more at that point.

I agree that no other Spurs player (ever?) got a treatment as player friendly like Fin. (not even Bruce).
and Fin got his ring.
I'm still not sure if the overall balance of the Finley engagement isn't negative for the Spurs. and I think his impact on 2007 is overrated.
if the Spurs didn't sign him in 2005, they would have signed another wing player, or a combo forward.
(can't tell who this could have been, if I remember right two of the players they might have signed were Mo Evans and James Jones back then)
this is pure speculation, but I think if they get an other (more athletic? longer? better defender?) player in 2005, they repeat in 2006.
and still win 2007.

however, if Fin in fact had complained about his PT (and many statements confirm this) it's as absurd as such thing can be. who does he want to sit? Manu?
but I reckon, it's more about that he didn't see a chance this team can win this season and he knows this are his last days in the NBA, so he wants to jump on a more promising bandwagon. and that's very very cheap. that's Gary Payton cheap.
even cheaper if he goes to where I think he wants to go: to the Lakers.

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2010, 06:17 AM
i swear after we got him his ring, we should have never re-signed him....we talkin about a guy who was checkin in 2 checks and playin like shit

raspsa
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM

:toast

Slippy
03-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Really ?!?!?! When i first heard the news on the NEw orlearns feed i was going to come on here saying how bad i felt for FInley as it's not the best way to end. There wasn't much explanation except "he wanted out". The critical comments i've made over the last week on his play had me feeling regretful.

Well now all i got to say is sayo"fing"nara

polandprzem
03-02-2010, 07:01 AM
So LJ basicly you are calling Mike a team cancer?

If it will clean up the air and make it easier for pop with rotations, then we can gain out of this release.

SpurNation
03-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Oh they know. It's just hard for them to accept. Their competitive nature always makes them think they can compete at a high level.

I would also suspect that even the most diplomatic approach if complaining were being done would eventually escape to the knowledge of the rest of the team.

I imagine a pro team can be much like that of any other work place or neighborhood. Set in it's own little world of talk, conspiracy and drama.

But the politics of this business has got to be the most compelling venue at this level. And once politics are involved more so than the purity of any one thing...well...somebody gets screwed.

The Truth #6
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
So will this slap some reality into Pop or will he pine for another OTH vet to overplay out of position?

ginobilized
03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
The plot thickens.

Been a weird "locker room" year for the Spurs. People's character emerges more clearly when they lose than when they win. Timmy's not whining.

spurster
03-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Finley gone because he's whined? Sounds like a standard "leak" to justify the Spurs actions. CIA and all that. Why can't they just waive a noncontributing player and keep their mouth shut.

Chomag
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
There hasn't been a Spurs player in recent history who has gotten so many unwarranted minutes.

Actually Bogans is competeing for that Honor and I think he is giving Fin a run for his money there.

silverblk mystix
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
I have been a spurs fan since 1973---or whenever it was that they came from Dallas (Chapparrals---I think?)...
always believed through good and BAD seasons...

last season was the first time i ever remember thinkin and saying out loud the following;
``if Finley is still here next season...i am done as a spurs fan..."...

of course he was...and (like sequspur :) )...i still remained a spur fan...

but it was agony everytime i saw finley play and start over mason, hairston,etc...

the worst part of the finley era to me was pop and his strange and complete change of character... for example--- pop would absolutely go nuts on defensive lapses and missed assignments---except when it was finley...

the most glaring example i remember that demonstrates just how bad pop became was this;

when he rested several starters in a second game of a back to back in Denver---the big three and finley---and in one of his interviews----actually stated he rested...THE BIG FOUR...

On top of all that...the Bruce Bowen treatment...i believe was all because of Finley...

that was a disgrace...

i still wish the best for finley....and I pray that Phil Jackson...falls hard for the..finley mystique....and plays him long,long minutes....

bdictjames
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Players' egos can still develop at their late 30's, and I'm glad Fin didn't complain about it publicly. Perhaps he knew that he wasn't doing well in the Spurs system, and would like a change of atmosphere. Perhaps he knew that he was hurting this team, so he had to go. Who knows, just best of luck. We are an organization of class, and I hope that remains.

z0sa
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Finley over Bowen?

Wow.

doobs
03-02-2010, 10:32 AM
It was probably tough for Mason to watch Finley taking ANY of his minutes. Finley leaving is a good thing.

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Like anyone else, I'm burned about Pop's coddling of Finley and the sudden cannonization of his tenure with the Spurs.

Good God, George Gervin wasn't afforded the luxury of such a gracious exit as Finley has gotten.

timvp
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Finley gone because he's whined? Sounds like a standard "leak" to justify the Spurs actions. CIA and all that. Why can't they just waive a noncontributing player and keep their mouth shut.

Finley's gone because he asked out of his contract. He's not gone because of any other reason. Other players are the ones saying Finley has been complaining about a lack of minutes. In fact, Pop has gone out of his way to make sure it is publicly noted that he wishes Finley were still on the team.

TJastal
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Like anyone else, I'm burned about Pop's coddling of Finley and the sudden cannonization of his tenure with the Spurs.

Good God, George Gervin wasn't afforded the luxury of such a gracious exit as Finley has gotten.

Finley's departure would be much more satisfying if Popovich had paired it with benching Bogans and limiting Bonner's minutes.

If this first game is any indication however, it appears that Bogans and Bonner are going to be the beneficiaries of Finley's absence and play even bigger roles.

Which is almost certainly going to doom any hopes this team has of competing for a championship. :sad

TJastal
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Finley's gone because he asked out of his contract. He's not gone because of any other reason. Other players are the ones saying Finley has been complaining about a lack of minutes. In fact, Pop has gone out of his way to make sure it is publicly noted that he wishes Finley were still on the team.

Popovich is an idiot, pure and simple.

Dex
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
My only problem with Finley leaving is I feel that his motive is a little underhanded.

If Finley wanted to go to a team that he is going to get minutes, he'd be willing to go any team. Or at least a semi-contender. In other words, a team where he might be able to find a solid role.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like Finley has just been knocking on the door of all the favorites like LA, Boston, Denver, and Portland. These are all teams where Finley will probably be exactly what he was in SA: insurance.

That doesn't sound like chasing playing time to me. That sounds like he is chasing another ring, and he didn't think the Spurs were going to be able to give it to him. Rather than go down with the ship that brought him his first title, it's like he is trying to hop boats.

Pretty surprising move for a guy who was otherwise regarded as a total professional and locker room favorite.

TJastal
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Who the hell knows what Finley's motivation was, be it PT or rings. You got Popovich claiming he still wants Finley on the team even though its clear the team has needed to part ways w/ Finley for years.

I just think Pop found his new love in Keith Bogans and Finley had to move on. :lmao

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't care what he's chasing. I'm just glad he's gone.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
What's funny is he ended up starting his final game as a Spur. To show how bad he wanted to play, he finished the game 0-for-2 in ten minutes to go along with no rebounds, no assists, no steals, no rebounds, no fouls and a plus/minus of -15. Way to state your case for more PT, Fin.

And Mason is the same way too. These guys ask for trades/more playing time and then put up these incrddible games of double digit minutes and virtually no field goals. Worst of all, if they can't shoot well, they are absolutely useless.

I was relieved Finley left on his own terms. I just hope it's not too late for Hairston to overtake Bogans for minutes. Spurs still have 26 games to go before playoff time. I think of Hairston can replace Bogans and get around 20 minutes a game, our 8 man rotation should be set.

Of course, this could all be pipe dreams

mando6599
03-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Which players have noted Fin's complaining, timvp? Was Bruce's reference on Twitter about Finley? thx

mando

Mel_13
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Which players have noted Fin's complaining, timvp? Was Bruce's reference on Twitter about Finley? thx

mando

Whether any of this constitutes complaining is in the eye of the reader, but these quotes from Tim, Tony, and Manu are from Monroe's article:

Tony:
“He started talking about it about two weeks ago,” point guard Tony Parker said. “We had back-and-forth conversations about it after he told me. He wasn’t playing, and he wished he could be playing.”

Manu:
“We know how this works. He wasn’t playing, and a player wants to play. He still thinks he can contribute, and we all understand that, so no problems.”

Tim:
“He’ll be missed, but trying to be a player and be on the court and get out there, he just wasn’t getting the time here. I wish him well, and I hope that he finds what he wants and everything works out great for him, because he’s the best. He’s awesome.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_veteran_Finley_part_ways.html

loveforthegame
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Not sure how you can bash Finley and give Mason a pass. Finley at least did this all privately while Mason made it public. Even if Finley is just chasing another ring I can understand that better than Mason chasing a big contract.

Why do Pop, Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker all talk Finley up as a great guy and teammate if all he's been doing is complaining the last couple weeks? They can be classy and give a standard response to his departure but they talk like he's the greatest guy to ever wear a Spurs jersey.

mando6599
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Whether any of this constitutes complaining is in the eye of the reader, but these quotes from Tim, Tony, and Manu are from Monroe's article:

Tony:
“He started talking about it about two weeks ago,” point guard Tony Parker said. “We had back-and-forth conversations about it after he told me. He wasn’t playing, and he wished he could be playing.”

Manu:
“We know how this works. He wasn’t playing, and a player wants to play. He still thinks he can contribute, and we all understand that, so no problems.”

Tim:
“He’ll be missed, but trying to be a player and be on the court and get out there, he just wasn’t getting the time here. I wish him well, and I hope that he finds what he wants and everything works out great for him, because he’s the best. He’s awesome.”

thanks Mel_13

ohmwrecker
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Tony mentioned something about Finley complaining about playing time since he came back from his injury, but I don't think he was bothered by it, just stating fact.
Bowen's tweet was not about Fin. He specifically mentioned the mystery player's agent being vocal and there has been no evidence of Finley's agent being aggressively involved. All reports indicate that Fin went to Pop man to man and asked for a release. I'm still convinced that Bruce was referring to Mason (given the timing and mention of the agent) whether he will admit it, or not.
Also, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Finley expected to get PT after coming off the IR. Pop has shown undue favoritism to Fin in his years as a Spur.
You guys sound like a bunch of irrational teenage girls that just found out that an ex, that YOU dumped, is over you and wants to date someone else.
Untwist your panties and move on.

spurtech09
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
now that I know why the reason finley left im pretty disappointed in him.....I can understand that he wants some more playing time but come on hes not young anymore....he should be happy that he got a chance to win a nba championship title with the spurs...I know everyone ain't perfect but he is just greedy

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Tim:

Just boggles my mind. Did Finley find a cancer cure for Tims kids or something?
( Not that Tims kids have or ever will have cancer )

TJastal
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Tim:

They all (and esp Timmy) just follow POop's line of thinking to the highest degree. They all knew POop and Fin had a "special" relationship so of course this is the reason for the contrived over-complimentary nature of Tim's comments.

anakha
03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
If this first game is any indication however, it appears that Bogans and Bonner are going to be the beneficiaries of Finley's absence and play even bigger roles.

I'm sure McDyess being out had absolutely nothing to do with it.

They all (and esp Timmy) just follow POop's line of thinking to the highest degree. They all knew POop and Fin had a "special" relationship so of course this is the reason for the contrived over-complimentary nature of Tim's comments.

So now Duncan is a sheep?

If you're a troll, congrats. If you're serious about this, you're a retard of the highest order.

Brazil
03-02-2010, 12:10 PM

yes now we have bogans

TJastal
03-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm sure McDyess being out had absolutely nothing to do with it.

So now Duncan is a sheep?

If you're a troll, congrats. If you're serious about this, you're a retard of the highest order.

Everybody knows Popovich's word isn't questioned by reporter, writer, or player alike. Where have you been all these years?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2010, 12:20 PM
1. Now everyone knows who Bowen was talking about when he said it wasn't Mase complaining about PT.

2. Finley, if you want PT you have to earn it. Which is amazing to say given Pop's mancrush for him.

3. It's clear Fin was complaining to others on the team prior to him leaving.

4. Good riddance.

5. He's kidding himself if he thinks he will go to any contender and get any run.

6. All you twits like Tpark who were talking about how great a guy he was, giving him the red velvet carpet leaving party, etc. owe the Fin critics an apology.

7. How ignorant is Pop? He talks about chemistry issues in the locker room, when his golden child was at the heart of the complaining about PT camp (with no legitimate reason for doing so - i.e., he was sucking when on the court).

8. I think you will see the team play better now. One more cancer removed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Tim:

When has Tim ever said anything negative about a teammate? Current or former?

The Truth #6
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Not sure how you can bash Finley and give Mason a pass. Finley at least did this all privately while Mason made it public. Even if Finley is just chasing another ring I can understand that better than Mason chasing a big contract.

Why do Pop, Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker all talk Finley up as a great guy and teammate if all he's been doing is complaining the last couple weeks? They can be classy and give a standard response to his departure but they talk like he's the greatest guy to ever wear a Spurs jersey.

A thought regarding Mason chasing a "big" contract - Mason is probably hoping to get somewhere over 2 million a year in a contract. Finley was getting almost 20 million a year from Cuban. I think think Mason's reason is more valid in my opinion. He's just trying to have a career. Finley is bandwagoning, and because he's made WAY too much money for what he's produced, it allows him to jump ship to a contender and try to get another ring.

spurster
03-02-2010, 12:37 PM

LOL. That's as CIA as it gets.

I don't doubt that it's all true. It's just that Pop comes off smelling like roses while someone else comes up with the dirty laundry.

Stringer_Bell
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
My only problem with Finley leaving is I feel that his motive is a little underhanded.

If Finley wanted to go to a team that he is going to get minutes, he'd be willing to go any team. Or at least a semi-contender. In other words, a team where he might be able to find a solid role.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like Finley has just been knocking on the door of all the favorites like LA, Boston, Denver, and Portland. These are all teams where Finley will probably be exactly what he was in SA: insurance.

That doesn't sound like chasing playing time to me. That sounds like he is chasing another ring, and he didn't think the Spurs were going to be able to give it to him. Rather than go down with the ship that brought him his first title, it's like he is trying to hop boats.

Pretty surprising move for a guy who was otherwise regarded as a total professional and locker room favorite.

Good thoughts, but I just can't reconcile the fact that he'd just want to chase a ring knowing that this city and team celebrated the most coveted achievement in his career in 2007. If anything, this post-season has the potential to be the most competitive and uncertain for the top contenders...there are no guarantees for anyone, IMHO. Why desert us now? He didn't need playing time, he just needed to be a good influence for the new guys and whatever happens, happens...although Pop was adamant when the season began that Finley "earned" his minutes. Blah...

@bout Mason: I can't blame the dude for wanting playing time, he has a contract he needs to secure and if he doesn't think the Spurs will re-sign him, he DOES need to find some place to display his skills before the next contract. It's his career, and if he is going to play in the NBA someone needs to see what he can do instead of just being in Pop's dog house.

anakha
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Everybody knows Popovich's word isn't questioned by reporter, writer, or player alike. Where have you been all these years?

I guess I must have been hallucinating when I saw players disagreeing with Popovich during games. But since you said so, it must be gospel truth. :lol

Haven't you even considered that maybe Duncan might have already formed his own opinion on Finley?(whether he's correct or not is not my point)

In your haste to blame everything on Popovich, you're actually making wilder and wilder accusations that make Don Quixote look sane by comparison.

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
When has Tim ever said anything negative about a teammate? Current or former?
Not saying anything negative vs "because he’s the best. He’s awesome.” is quite a difference.

I'm sure we agree Aggie, Duncan hurt his legacy big time by allowing all the chicken shit Popped has allowed to go on since 2006 Round 1.
No repeat, wasted MVP efforts. Mrs. FinleyPops marriage at the heart of the matter. Tim condoned it all.

In retrospect 2007 was an exception, not what should have been a continuing DuncanSpurs rule.

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 01:09 PM
6. All you twits like Tpark who were talking about how great a guy he was, giving him the red velvet carpet leaving party, etc. owe the Fin critics an apology.

7. How ignorant is Pop? He talks about chemistry issues in the locker room, when his golden child was at the heart of the complaining about PT camp (with no legitimate reason for doing so - i.e., he was sucking when on the court).
We're still waiting T_Park, anakha, Aglowko, Humpy etc all the Pop sniffing Apologists.

TJastal
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
I guess I must have been hallucinating when I saw players disagreeing with Popovich during games. But since you said so, it must be gospel truth. :lol

Haven't you even considered that maybe Duncan might have already formed his own opinion on Finley?(whether he's correct or not is not my point)

In your haste to blame everything on Popovich, you're actually making wilder and wilder accusations that make Don Quixote look sane by comparison.

Whether or not Duncan has his own opinion about Finley is irrelevant, the point I was making was that he clearly went overboard with all the smarmy compliments. Which indicates he may have been afraid to say what he was really thinking/feeling, and I wonder why.....

:gregg popovich

Old School 44
03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm glad he's gone, but I don't blame him for asking for more minutes.

He's seeing from the front row what we see, Pop trotting out Bogans night after night. He's probably thinking, "I can clang 3 pointers better than that!"
I'm surprised there aren't more guys complaining. Notice, how the complaints about playing time are coming from our veteran 2 guards. If you believe the guys in front of you are better, it's easier to swallow the low/no playing time, but if you don't, you start questioning the coach's decisions.

anakha
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
We're still waiting T_Park, anakha, Aglowko, Humpy etc all the Pop sniffing Apologists.

So disagreeing with you = me saying Pop is all-knowing?

What a moron. :lmao

MB3//
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
How do buyouts work? I'm slowly getting more familiar with the league rules and the financial side of things. I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!

Oh and I hope Finley realizes his best chance to play was with the Spurs. I'm glad he is gone and Pop no longer can look down at the bench and see him. If Pop had given up on PT for Fin.. what makes him think he can get PT with a legit contender!?

Sisk
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM

very good point, didn't think about that

i guess it wasn't mason after all

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 01:27 PM
How do buyouts work? I'm slowly getting more familiar with the league rules and the financial side of things. I'd appreciate the input. Thanks!

Oh and I hope Finley realizes his best chance to play was with the Spurs. I'm glad he is gone and Pop no longer can look down at the bench and see him. If Pop had given up on PT for Fin.. what makes him think he can get PT with a legit contender!?
Like a rat jumping off a ship......

TJastal
03-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Pop should certainly bear the brunt of the criticism for his man love with the washed up locker room cancer named Finley.

Mel_13
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Buyouts represent an exchange between a player and a team. The player gives up some or all of the remaining salary guaranteed in his contract in exchange for his release from the team.

In Finley's case, he had approximately 600K remaining on his 2.5M contract for this season. Presumably, he gave up that 600K in order to get his release before the March 1st deadline that will allow him to sign with another NBA team AND be on their playoff roster.

The Spurs, we assume, will save that 600K and another 600K in luxury tax. They will not be able to keep all of that savings as they will have to sign another player to meet the minimum roster size of 13 players.

As to Finley's chances of getting PT with one of the top teams in the NBA, it would seem unlikely. Boston makes some sense as their reserve wings, Tony Allen and Marquis Daniels, aren't 3 point threats. Then again, since his return Finley hasn't shown that he remains an outside shooting threat. Maybe he just didn't want to spend his last two months in the NBA racking up DNP-CDs and this allowed him to exit in a way more to his liking.

anakha
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Pop should certainly bear the brunt of the criticism for his man love with the washed up locker room cancer named Finley.

Sure, he deserves criticism for overplaying Finley.

Blaming Pop for Duncan being complimentary about Finley is more than tilting at windmills.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Wow, now I look at him a lot differently

TJastal
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Sure, he deserves criticism for overplaying Finley.

Blaming Pop for Duncan being complimentary about Finley is more than tilting at windmills.

Looks like someone's Popologist feathers are all ruffled up.

:lol

anakha
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Looks like someone's Popologist feathers are all ruffled up.

I just said he deserves criticism for overplaying Finley. How is that being a Popapologist?

Keep digging yourself deeper.

EmptyMan
03-02-2010, 02:37 PM
lol wanting more playing time

lolololol finley....

:lmao Should have fallen on the sword seasons ago.

ducks
03-02-2010, 02:45 PM

mando

tp manu

romsho
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
When I first heard of Michael Finley being released, I thought it was a good move by both sides. Finley gets to go play for a championship contender and possibly get more minutes, while the Spurs cull the swingman herd and open up an opportunity for Malik Hairston. I posted my thanks to Finley and gave him props for being a model teammate over the years.

But after hearing more details surrounding Finley's release, I've changed my tune. From various accounts, Finley had been whining privately for a while before telling Pop he wanted out.

I can understand wanting more playing time but in this situation it was a very weak move on Finley's part. First of all, the Spurs needed him to be a veteran leader this season and help out the new players -- not whining behind the scenes about playing time.

Secondly, how the heck can Finley complain about minutes? He's been a pretty damn bad basketball player for years now and has gotten way more minutes than he deserved. Pop basically ended Bruce Bowen's career just so Finley could play more. There hasn't been a Spurs player in recent history who has gotten so many unwarranted minutes. Even this season, he inexplicably began the season as a starter. If he didn't miss a couple months due to a mild sprained ankle, he probably would still be playing too many minutes.

Third of all, how can Finley bail on a team that was so good to him during the 2007 championship run? Everyone said that winning for Fin was a big motivation. They treated him as he if wasn't the easily replaceable bit player he was at the time.

The Spurs give him a champion, give him an abundance of minutes, showered him with praise and he repays the team by asking out of his contract? That is just lame. The least he could have done is be the positive locker room influence who would be willing to go down with the ship if he couldn't help steady it.

Hopefully Fin signs with a contending team and gets plenty of unwarranted minutes. That would create one less contender.

As far as the Spurs are concerned, it's a glorious day that the Finley reign is finally over. He can take his bandwagoning ways and hit the road. I'll remember him as a coat-tailing ex-Sun Maverick who wanted out when the going got tough.

Good riddance.

That's harsh. Let's not go revisionist history here. Finley was a pretty damn good piece in 2007- nothing like the All Star of earlier in his career- but certainly more than a coat-tailing bench guy who barely contributed. He had his moments in the clutch as well.

Don't get me wrong...he is done, and I'm glad he's gone... but don't over minimalize his contibution to the 07 championship. Very disappointing to see a guy like that with a career like his end his time with the Spurs under these circumstances.

That being said, it's a good thing for the team and the fans that it ended in this fashion. No way in hell Pop pulls that trigger on his own.

spurs1990
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Good riddance.

Probably the most disappointing post I've read from you Timvp.

The guy played his heart out in the 2006 playoffs, and was pivotal in the 2007 campaign. How you blame him for the last two years' flameouts I have no idea, but it wasn't Fin's reign that sunk the ship.

He's at the end of his career; why should he have to suffer at the end of the bench in San Antonio?

Popovich from all accounts was sad to see him go, and if he was 'whining', wouldn't they have parted ways before yesterday?

The truly sad part of this affair was that we have been defined as a non-contending team. Put that on Popovich, Buford, and Holt...not Michael Finley.

Cane
03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Probably the most disappointing post I've read from you Timvp.

The guy played his heart out in the 2006 playoffs, and was pivotal in the 2007 campaign. How you blame him for the last two years' flameouts I have no idea, but it wasn't Fin's reign that sunk the ship.

He's at the end of his career; why should he have to suffer at the end of the bench in San Antonio?

Popovich from all accounts was sad to see him go, and if he was 'whining', wouldn't they have parted ways before yesterday?

The truly sad part of this affair was that we have been defined as a non-contending team. Put that on Popovich, Buford, and Holt...not Michael Finley.

Agreed, too much haterade on Finley. He's been a punching bag ever since he got here whether its people complaining that he has too many minutes, the fact that he has a roster spot, or now where he asked to leave.

Finley acted like a professional throughout and with Mason Jr. complaining about minutes he wasn't going to get 'em here. And with the Spurs in the 7th spot in the playoffs and being a first round exit last year; the chance of a ring this season looks dim as well.

alchemist
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I just said he deserves criticism for overplaying Finley. How is that being a Popapologist?

Keep digging yourself deeper.
That guy is a character alright :lol

DesignatedT
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
who gives a shit. let this bum go. most have been waiting for this day for some time now. glad he isnt in the locker room bitching to other players now.

ducks
03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
mike went to other players and questioned the boss
in the real world when you do that you boss finds out
you get chewed out or fired
chemistry is important in nba
when you question your boss and not man enough to question your boss in person

smeagol
03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
mike went to other players and questioned the boss
in the real world when you do that you boss finds out
you get chewed out or fired
chemistry is important in nba
when you question your boss and not man enough to question your boss in person

In the real world, if you talk shit about the boss and the boss finds out, you have rats among your co-workers. I think that hardly ever happens.

Do you live in the real world, amigo?

ChumpDumper
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
We're still waiting T_Park, anakha, Aglowko, Humpy etc all the Pop sniffing Apologists.What are you waiting for?

He wanted out.

He's gone.

I'm glad it didn't drag out and didn't hit the press until it happened. Anyone trying to make anything more out of is pushing an agenda.

anakha
03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Anyone trying to make anything more out of is pushing an agenda.

The Truth #6
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I think it's called being a fan and having an opinion.

weebo
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Someone on the team should have told Mike Finely he was done. I don't understand all this "behind closed doors" bitching with other players. Man the F' up, sit down, cash your check and just wait for your number to be called.

JR3
03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Someone on the team should have told Mike Finely he was done. I don't understand all this "behind closed doors" bitching with other players. Man the F' up, sit down, cash your check and just wait for your number to be called.

Amen.

ploto
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Tony:

Manu:

Tim:

How is that whining? Every player who is not playing talks to his friends and teammates about how he wishes he was playing more. EVERYONE of them.

The need for the Spurs organization to bad mouth just about every player after he is gone is what makes me dislike the organization. The Spurs tried to trade him. They were not playing him. He is gone, and it saved them money.

I choose to remember Spur Michael Finley who I watched play his heart out in Dallas in 2006.

Mel_13
03-02-2010, 11:25 PM
How is that whining? Every player who is not playing talks to his friends and teammates about how he wishes he was playing more. EVERYONE of them.

The need for the Spurs organization to bad mouth just about every player after he is gone is what makes me dislike the organization. The Spurs tried to trade him. They were not playing him. He is gone, and it saved them money.

I choose to remember Spur Michael Finley who I watched play his heart out in Dallas in 2006.

Nice editing of my post.

ploto
03-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Nice editing of my post.

My comments were directed at the quotes you posted- not at your comments; hence, it makes proper sense for me to quote only the part to which I am referring. Many people are saying in this thread that he was whining, but those quotes, to me, do not indicate that.

If I were commenting on your comments, I would have quoted them.

Mel_13
03-02-2010, 11:37 PM
My comments were directed at the quotes you posted- not at your comments; hence, it makes proper sense for me to quote only the part to which I am referring. Many people are saying in this thread that he was whining, but those quotes, to me, do not indicate that.

If I were commenting on your comments, I would have quoted them.

Then just post from the original article. The link was in my post

If you quote my post, alter it, and comment on it, expect a response.

Nash2TimeMVp
03-02-2010, 11:54 PM
everyone here is a fucking joke. who cares that michael finley wanted out because he wanted more PT. if ppl are gonna get butt hurt about that then u guys are emo and stoopid. of course finely wanted out of SA. the spurs suck, he wasn't getting playing time, so there was no point in being there. he wanted PT so talked to some players about it to make it known, he still didn't get it and got his ass out of SA before they missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. big deal quit crying /rant

ploto
03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Then just post from the original article. The link was in my post.

As if I have the time to mess with all of that... You posted the quotes-- I quoted your post of the quotes. I fail to see your problem.

I actually hate when people quote a long post when they only want to comment on one part of it. I always quote only the part to which I am referring. It makes more sense.

I did not edit your comments at all. I excluded them completely.

wildbill2u
03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Finley's estimation that he can't get another championship on the Spurs and wants to go toa contender is more interesting than his wanting more minutes.

SequSpur
03-03-2010, 12:28 AM

Good riddance.

What did he steal your lunch or what? Are you even a spurs fan? Dude hit some big shots over the years to help this team get where they got... Appreciate it, accept it, move on....

Josepatches_
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Tony:

Manu:

Tim:

Enough said.
If the captain says he's the best or he's awesome and players like Manu says they'll miss him I don't know why we have to write that shit about him.

Good luck Fin.

Mel_13
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
As if I have the time to mess with all of that... You posted the quotes-- I quoted your post of the quotes. I fail to see your problem.

I actually hate when people quote a long post when they only want to comment on one part of it. I always quote only the part to which I am referring. It makes more sense.

I did not edit your comments at all. I excluded them completely.

I didn't say you edited my comments. You edited my post and altered the portion you quoted.

If you didn't want to go to the great trouble of using the original article, you could have simply copied the words you wanted to use to make your point without quoting my post or using my name. The time required to do either would not have been more than the time required to quote my post, delete portions of it, and alter other parts. Please.

You quoted my post and launched into your commentary. To another reader, it appears you were taking a position contrary to the point of my post.

I fail to see how you cannot comprehend that I would find that objectionable.

tp2021
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Who gives a flying fuck?

Borosai
03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Finley

itzsoweezee
03-03-2010, 01:02 AM
can we all acknowledge how this whole situation makes popovich look like a complete moron. his girl just pimpslapped him. i wish finley was taking popobitch with him.

good riddance.

all_heart
03-03-2010, 01:02 AM
So any chance of the team chemistry picking up now that Finley is gone? One less distraction.. or is it too late??! The players looked pretty peppy and happy in the NO game.

phyzik
03-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Regardless how Finley left the team, Im just glad he is gone. He was sucking it up big time after his injury.

Sorry, Im a Spurs fan first. Even if Tim Duncan was sucking it up as bad as Finley and left, I would thank him for the rings and never look back.

Team first, players a distant second.

narmerguy
03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Regardless how Finley left the team, Im just glad he is gone. He was sucking it up big time after his injury.

Sorry, Im a Spurs fan first. Even if Tim Duncan was sucking it up as bad as Finley and left, I would thank him for the rings and never look back.

Team first, players a distant second.

A rare stance these days.

ploto
03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
To another reader, it appears you were taking a position contrary to the point of my post.

Who cares?

See-- How I just quoted only the sentence to which I am referring and highlighted the word that applies most clearly. I could care less how something appears. I have no problem with you quoting only part of my post or highlighting the part to which you are replying. People here can read.

Mel_13
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Who cares?

See-- How I just quoted only the sentence to which I am referring and highlighted the word that applies most clearly. I could care less how something appears. I have no problem with you quoting only part of my post or highlighting the part to which you are replying. People here can read.

Apparently you do.

You've been trying to justify your actions since I laughed at how you had edited my post. You could have let it go at that point, but you apparently felt the need to explain and justify your actions.

You say you don't care, yet you have responded with further explanations and justifications each time I have rejected your excuses. If you don't care, why did you respond in the first place and why have you continued to respond?

Simple answer, you do care.

Ibanezsr
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
everyone here is a fucking joke. who cares that michael finley wanted out because he wanted more PT. if ppl are gonna get butt hurt about that then u guys are emo and stoopid. of course finely wanted out of SA. the spurs suck, he wasn't getting playing time, so there was no point in being there. he wanted PT so talked to some players about it to make it known, he still didn't get it and got his ass out of SA before they missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round. big deal quit crying /rant

I still hear Phoenix fans cry about Joe Johnson...