PDA

View Full Version : Finley wants to go to LA

2Cleva
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
After asking the San Antonio Spurs to let him go, Michael Finley(notes) is looking for a chance to be a factor on a title-contending team. The Boston Celtics are among the teams who have interest, league sources said.

The Spurs waived Finley on Monday after he expressed frustration about his limited role with the team. The Celtics, sources said, have some interest because they could use another shooter off the bench. A league source also said the Los Angeles Lakers eventually could have interest in Finley as an “insurance player” to help strengthen their own bench.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-finleyceltics030110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Michael Finley is a free agent yet again, and the short list -- we should probably call it a wish list -- for his next destination reads as follows: Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Cavs, Celtics and Jazz.

Finley was a surprise buyout recipient when he was waived by the San Antonio Spurs on Monday, the last day for players to be waived while still retaining playoff eligibility if they sign with another team.

"The Spurs were very helpful to Michael on this, and Michael has nothing but good feelings for that franchise. It is just time for him to move on," said Finley's agent, Henry Thomas.

Other players waived Tuesday included Minnesota center Mark Blount, Washington guard Mike James and Indiana guard Travis Diener.

Along with the buyouts and waiver transactions surrounding the Feb. 18 trade deadline, it allows for a Top 10 list of in-season free agents.

So without further ado ...

1. Michael Finley: The 15-year veteran realized it was time for him to move on when he found himself out of the rotation six games after he returned from a severe ankle sprain. His DNP-CD (Did Not Play-Coach's Decision) Feb. 7 at Indiana was the first of his career. "From his perspective, he wants to compete for a championship. And some of the top contenders have rosters on which he'd be a decent fit," Thomas said. Finley, who was owed about $600,000 by San Antonio, will clear waivers at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100301/daily-dime

Muser
03-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Boston? :lmao

spursbird
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Thank you Findog:toast

Siebzehn50
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I just can't figure out why a contender would want him when we didn't want him. I'd be surprised if he gets signed.

SpurNation
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I would think he would fit better in Boston than LA but would be sure he would be more than happy to go to any contending team.

OrEmuN
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Great .... now can he go join Lakers or Celtics so as to break up any team spirit and sink the ship ...

galvatron3000
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Why couldn't he have done this over the summer, sheesh!! Great guy but the signs he was done started in 2007. The team should have spent money back then

Bruno
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Where does it say that Finley wants to go to LA?

2Cleva
03-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Where does it say that Finley wants to go to LA?

Michael Finley is a free agent yet again, and the short list -- we should probably call it a wish list -- for his next destination reads as follows: Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Cavs, Celtics and Jazz.

Gutter92
03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Ah, one of his six teams of choice is LA...lol

Bruno
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Talk about a misleading title. :lol

mountainballer
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
from the little comments we heard today one could suspect Boston is the most likely destination.

Ditty
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
i hope jackson falls in love with finley and plays him 30 minutes a game

will_spurs
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Talk about a misleading title. :lol

The OP will call himself a visionary when he is signed by the Clippers :lol

ohmwrecker
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Does he want to play or just ride the pine for a team that he feels has a better chance at winning a title than the Spurs? I don't see him getting much time on any of those teams. Maybe Utah, but they just dumped Ronnie Brewer. There are a couple of guys he will have to play behind in any of those scenarios.

Ocotillo
03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
The Lakers are almost always mentioned in personnel speculation.

I. Hustle
03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I can already see the 1-2 punch of Fin and Fisch. The names even go together.

ElNono
03-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Since when Boston is a contender?

Xevious
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
None of this makes sense. Which championship contending team is going to give him more minutes than the Spurs were giving him? Pop gave him more opportunities than he deserved. I just don't see any of the teams listed above having any use for him. Boston is the most likely destination, but it'll probably be just for insurance and spot minutes.

Buddy Holly
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
LOL at 2Cleva.

So random speculation by writers = Finley wants...

Dude, Finley wants to be on a contender, the writer listed some contenders.

Jesus you're stupid.

nkdlunch
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I see him in Cleveland. He's a shooter and would have Lebron next to him.

DAF86
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Pop let Finley walk away so he could sign with a contender and destroy them from the inside. CIA Pop at its finest. :toast

rjv
03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
the only team that i have heard has expressed even the least bit of interest is boston

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Good.

Let him take his "masonry" and "bricklaying" act to the "City of Angels"

Tito_Trinidad
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
This scenario: WCF between SAS vs LAL, game 7 ,
10 sec left, tie gm, Kobe pumpfake,
behind the back pass to Finley and 3333333333333!!!!! Lakers go to The Finals. Next day: you browse www.spurstalk.com and it says "this page has been removed or does not exist"

ElNono
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
behind the back pass to Finley and 3333333333333!!!!! Lakers go to The Finals. Next day: you browse www.spurstalk.com and it says "this page has been removed or does not exist"

I can see how Bogans would make Finley look like a 25 year old... :bang

Go For Tree
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I just can't figure out why a contender would want him when we didn't want him. I'd be surprised if he gets signed.

Egg fucking zactly...... He doesnt improve any contenders. They wouldnt throw any money out to him. He can prob get on with another playoff team, but in the East other than Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando. Maybe Miami is probably the best team that would sign him for spot minutes but theyre not going anywhere anyway.

loveforthegame
03-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I think he can help a contending team if the coach knows how to play him. He can be that guy that comes in a hits a few 3s. He's not going to fill up any stat sheet at this point but I think he still has some timely 3s in him.

Who says it's just about minutes that Finley is looking for. He might be happy with 5-10 minutes a game. He probably had more trouble with the DNPs he was logging here.

argginmanuoblifaniac
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
please sign with LA Fin.

in2deep
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
now, let's hope he gets minutes in LA.

LMAO Fisher and Finley on the floor

4>0rings
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I hope he goes to LA, then another team might have a chance to beat them.

Quiet Strength
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
If he goes to LA I hope phil plays him at pf. We all know how amazing finley is at that postion.

Fabbs
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
There is a reason Phil has owned Pop 4-1 in playoff series.

OP may just be wishing for more homo representation on Lakers.
Swisher, Vagacic,.....

bostonguy
03-02-2010, 01:58 PM
You can have him LA

Obstructed_View
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Doesn't really take a gigantic leap of logic to assume that LA would be on the short list of teams he wants to play for if piggybacking his way to another ring is his goal.

#2!
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I hope Fin is just being delusional about his playing time, b/c otherwise he is just coat-tailing again. Leaving one team for their rival for a ship, I don't see how joining a team right now and winning it all could be that satisfying.

I mean maybe if you're Sheed going to Detroit before the 04 championship you can feel like you were a real part of the team, but Fin would be like Adam Morrison last year. That guy was so uncomfortable everytime he was involved in a celebration, or ceremony b/c he clearly added nothing to the team. So yeah, enjoy your hollow victories this season, b/c you know no one is giving you a contract next year.

duhoh
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
deuces fin

TIMMYD!
03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Finley would not get much playing time on a contender and if that's what he wants, he should go to sucky team.

Lukor
03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Boston can open a geriatric clinic if they sign him lol

Booharv
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Even in an imaginary scenario, Kobe wouldn't pass the ball in crunch time.

FeZZy
03-02-2010, 11:23 PM
since when is boston the new dump for old wack ass players i thought that was us with finley like 5 years ago he is just older

Dex
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Do it.

DesignatedT
03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
if he goes to l.a to ride the pine i will lose all respect for finley

Josepatches_
03-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Pop let Finley walk away so he could sign with a contender and destroy them from the inside. CIA Pop at its finest. :toast

To destroy what? He's a good teammate and he has a lot of experience.He wasnt the problem here.
I guess we are going to win all now Finley isn't here.

Finley can fit better in a tittle contender than here.He isn't going to play but he can share his experience and knowledge of the game.They only need from him 2 or 3 shots.We need a lot of more from every player.

Example: Steve Kerr's 05 in the Spurs'09 could be useless but he was important in 2005.

Taking it to the Hole
03-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Finley has to be the biggest bandwagon jumper to ever exist. I don't know why he couldn't be grateful to the Spurs organization for at least getting him his ring. Instead, he is running away because now it has become "difficult". Finley seems to be the spoiled brat who is always complaining about what he doesn't have and then when he gets it, he complains that he doesn't have more of it. Just never ceases to amaze me how selfish people can be.

SequSpur
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
If Finley goes anywhere and produces...blame pop for playing bogans or whoever.. can't blame him..

lennyalderette
03-03-2010, 12:47 AM
finley is terrible!!!even if he hit a game winner which he hast done in like 2yrs and before that forget it, see i think the spurs have good karma because of mooves like this.. they always do the right thing instead of being cowards, but to think he just left like that is pretty f'd up after pop stunned so many players development to play that cadaver i hope he goes to denver dallas, shit even clev, that would be a blessing in disguise imagine what manu would do to him if they tried to act like finley knows how to guard manu, that would be awesome

duncan228
03-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Don't look for late-season pickups from the Lakers (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20100303,0,6464871.story)
Lakers seem to have little interest in players who have been cut or bought out.
Mike Bresnahan
LA Times

The Lakers are entering the final, minor phase of roster retooling, taking a look at who was waived in recent days and determining if they could help thicken their bench.

Former San Antonio forward-guard Michael Finley might want to come to Los Angeles, but the Lakers have no interest in a player who turns 37 on Saturday and was averaging 3.7 points in 25 games with the Spurs this season.

Power forward Kenny Thomas was cut by Sacramento last month and, while providing solid post defense, would be in a numbers crunch on the Lakers bench, parked behind Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and even Josh Powell.

Center Zydrunas Ilgauskas was bought out by Washington but probably will likely rejoin his former team in Cleveland by the end of the month.

There are other players who have been waived or bought out in recent weeks — Houston forward Brian Cook, Minnesota center Mark Blount, Washington guard Mike James and New York guard Larry Hughes — but the Lakers are leaning against adding a player.

"We've already discussed it," General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "It's unlikely that we would sign a player that has recently been waived, although we'll continue to monitor the team's needs."

The Lakers are playing without two reserves, guard Sasha Vujacic and forward Luke Walton, though Vujacic could be back early next week from a sprained shoulder. Walton is hoping to return in time for the playoffs after suffering another setback with a pinched nerve in his back.

The Lakers could sign any of the above players before the regular season ends and still use them in playoff games, according to an NBA spokesman.

timtonymanu
03-03-2010, 02:48 AM
so Fin is Allen Iverson reincarnate.

He bitches about playing time when he's way past his prime. Maybe Fin will realize he should just retire. He's two years overdue.

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 03:01 AM
so Fin is Allen Iverson reincarnate.

He bitches about playing time when he's way past his prime. Maybe Fin will realize he should just retire. He's two years overdue.

He's not quite Allen "sign a contract and then find an excuse not to play" Iverson yet.

Brazil
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
You can have him LA

Apparently Rivers reported to the Boston Herald that Finley is a prospect for the celtics.

Mel_13
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Apparently Rivers reported to the Boston Herald that Finley is a prospect for the celtics.

A Celtics source confirmed yesterday the primary target is veteran swingman Michael Finley, who was bought out of his contract by San Antonio on Monday. Finley is expected to clear waivers tonight.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?%20articleid=1236863&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%2Bbostonherald/sports/basketball/c%20eltics%2B%28Boston%2BCeltics%2B-%2BCeltics%2B&%2BNBA%2B-%2BBostonHerald.com%29

Brazil
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
A Celtics source confirmed yesterday the primary target is veteran swingman Michael Finley, who was bought out of his contract by San Antonio on Monday. Finley is expected to clear waivers tonight.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?%20articleid=1236863&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%2Bbostonherald/sports/basketball/c%20eltics%2B%28Boston%2BCeltics%2B-%2BCeltics%2B&%2BNBA%2B-%2BBostonHerald.com%29

Congrats Boston ! good acquisition cherry on the cake your team is now 2 years older

exstatic
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Doc Rivers would have to be out of his mind to want Fin. His current issues are defensive intensity and attitude. Fin cures neither.

exstatic
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
To destroy what? He's a good teammate and he has a lot of experience.He wasnt the problem here.
I guess we are going to win all now Finley isn't here.

Finley can fit better in a tittle contender than here.He isn't going to play but he can share his experience and knowledge of the game.They only need from him 2 or 3 shots.We need a lot of more from every player.

Example: Steve Kerr's 05 in the Spurs'09 could be useless but he was important in 2005.

God, you're stupid. Kerr was not even still living in SA in 2005. He had already moved back home to AZ two years earlier. Also, those intangibles? LA doesn't need them. Boston doesn't need them either. They're the last two champions and have loads of championship intangibles all up and down their rosters.

NFGIII
03-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Fin is done and is another example of an over the hill player with delusional wants and dreams. If he was producing offensively for the Spurs he'd still be here. His stat sheet has been absymal this season (even considering his injury) and I really don't see anything that is going to change that. If he is lucky enough to get a contract with a contender there might be a blip on the radar screen but he will eventually come back to earth. Newtonism - What goes up must come down.

Stats for this season
FG% .381
3pt FG% .317
TRB (O & D) 1.50
APG .80
PGA 3.7

Who would want to take a chance on that? But amazingly he just might play for another team this year. Stranger things have happened before.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Let him go on up there and stinkup Beantown. The Celtics already aren't good enough to compete with the Cavs and Magic. If they think Finley is going to help them get over the hump, then they may as well tank the rest of the way.

TJastal
03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Finley would only be backup insurance for the backups Tony Allen and Marquis Daniels, and an expensive backup plan at that, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him charm Doc Rivers (the same way he did Popovich) and end up playing more significant minutes in the rotation than either and even taking a chunk of big baby's minutes at PF.

:lol

VivaPopovich
03-04-2010, 06:16 AM
best of luck fin, wherever you decide to go

he was pivotal in helping us win our last ring

thanks fin!

p.s. if playing time is the reason why your leaving san antonio, your not gonna get much of it on boston or la. do you want playing time or do you want to play for a contender? cause at your age you can't have it both ways

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
finley is worst then ring chasing

mountainballer
03-04-2010, 08:16 AM

they need someone to take care of Nate. off court.

Mel_13
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Finley clears waivers; Celtics come armed with vet’s minimum

Michael Finley officially cleared waivers at 6 p.m., and the Celtics immediately got in line as part of a group that also reportedly included the Lakers and Nuggets.

As of game time Danny Ainge hadn’t talked to Henry Thomas – the swingman’s agent – though the Celtics’ president of basketball operations hoped to make contact later in the evening.

Other teams could conceivably offer more than the Celtics, who only have the veteran’s minimum salary to offer Finley.

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=591&srvc=home&position=recent

Budkin
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
The Mavs lol...now that would be amusing.

SpurCharger
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I can See Garnett and Perkins Gettin Pissed off when Finleys Man Blows right past him!Those Celtic Bigs are Gonna Have To help out a Ton Or end up In foul Trouble!

rayray2k8
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I can See Garnett and Perkins Gettin Pissed off when Finleys Man Blows right past him!Those Celtic Bigs are Gonna Have To help out a Ton Or end up In foul Trouble!

:lol So true.

Baseline
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Pop's infatuation with and reliance upon Finley is a big reason the Spurs are in the precarious position they're in now.

Dude is the kiss of death. May he be a Laker for the next ten years.

iminol
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Michael Finley has decided to come to Boston and will sign in next couple days, source tells Y! Sports.

duncan228
03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Sources: Celtics to sign Finley (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-finleyceltics030410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Veteran free agent swingman Michael Finley has decided to join the Boston Celtics and will sign over the next few days, an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports.

Finley is expected to sign the prorated veteran minimum in “the next day or so,” the source said.

The San Antonio Spurs waived Finley on Monday after he expressed frustration about his limited role with the team. The Celtics were interested because they needed another shooter off the bench.

Finley turns 37 on Saturday. He averaged 3.7 points in 25 games this season, but his agent said Monday that Finley remains confident he still can be a contributor.

“It was a situation where the Spurs understood why Michael wanted to pursue other opportunities elsewhere,” said Henry Thomas, Finley’s agent. “He wants to be part of the mix again. He’s a competitor who has never been in that position [of not playing] before.”

Finley played with San Antonio for five seasons and won an NBA title in 2007. He is expected to continue working out in San Antonio until he signs with a new team.

Boston recently traded for Nate Robinson and also has guards Marquis Daniels and Tony Allen to come off the bench. The Celtics have a long a history of adding veteran free agents in recent seasons, including Stephon Marbury, P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell.

biba
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
No surprise. It seems more and more Finley very well prepared his exit from San Antonio and his next signing to the Celtics.
I don't like it.

IronMexican
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Another old body for Boston? I hope they aren't expecting PJ Brown like impact.