PDA

View Full Version : General 2010 Free Agency Discussion

Bruno
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
2010 Free Agents List (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11)

:)

pad300
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
This is going to be a huge issue

Signed :
Bigs: Duncan, McDyess, Blair
Wings: Hairston, Jefferson
PG's: TP, Hill

7 Signed, need to add 6 more minimum.

Bird Rights : Bonner, Mason, Manu
Limited Bird Rights : Mahinmi (not this is not "early bird" rights, but limited actual bird rights because we did not pick up his option).
Draft Picks: 1 First Round, 1 Second Round
Draft Rights: Splitter, Sanikidze, Gist, De Colo, Javtokas, Kaurolov (in order of my estimate of the likely-hood of their coming to the NBA next year... Probability starts at roughly 70%, and decreases sharply after Sanikidze [Gist <= 5%...])

Assuming a resigned Manu (70% chance, IMO), and a 1st round pick who gets into the squad (60% chance, again IMO). That leaves a minimum of 4 bodies to get through FA. We will have the MLE, the LLE, and the vet min... It should further be noted that it appears quite likely that most of the MLE will be spent on bringing splitter over.

There will be quite a bit of capspace out there (driving prices up), but the threat of a new CBA (and possible lockout) will drive prices down, as will that there are a quite a lot of FA's... The projected new CBA will result in shorter term deals.

I expect an attempt to either trade or S&T Richard Jefferson over the summer... Which makes projecting this very difficult.

I would not actually be surprised to see Mahinmi resigned; I doubt any team offers him more than the LLE (in fact I would be surprised at more than the vet min), and our bird rights are sufficient to exceed this. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement. Ian gets more money, and not having to move, etc. The Spurs get a big who has experience in the system and doesn't count against their FA space... A similar argument can be made for re-signing Bonner; I hope that the FO does not make it. I am not a fan of him on our team.

BillMc
03-02-2010, 03:33 PM
An interesting analysis. I agree with your logic. I really hope that those percentages (70% for Manu, 60% for Splitter) are close. I want them both here.

I think you might indeed be right that Ian could also be here (though very small chance, say 15%). He could also be in Europe. We'll see.

Thompson
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
If I were Ian, there's no way I re-sign here. Even in the early part of the year, Pop wouldn't give him any minutes or a legitimate shot at the rotation. If I had to take less money for a year (but had a shot at actual minutes) I'd go elsewhere. I hope for the Spurs' sake he stays, but I don't think I would.

I hope Sanikidze can bulk up a bit this summer, it would be nice to have another draft pick come out of nowhere and produce for us.

ace3g
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
either in trades or FA signing

Long 3's. Spurs are still looking for that long 3 wing defender to replace Bowen, I think getting 1 or 2 of these guy will definitely help.

1. Wilson Chandler
2. Nocioni
3. Martel Webster
4. Josh Childress
5. Dorell Wright
6. Travis Outlaw

ofcourse this all depends on what direction the Spurs go in the draft

AFBlue
03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
The 2010 Free Agency discussion begins and ends with two players, Tiago Splitter and Manu Ginobili. It's pretty clear the Spurs FO is expected to make a hard run at Splitter and they've likely reserved most, if not all of the MLE to do so. If he decides to return to his current Euro team or go elsewhere in Europe, it'll throw a huge wrench into the Spurs' plans.

Does anyone have an idea what "Plan B" might actually be?

Spurs are in an even stickier situation with Manu. If Manu decides to walk in free agency, the Spurs are only left with two options to replace him...use the aformentioned MLE and forget about Splitter, or make a trade using the expiring contract of RJ. Neither of these options truly "replace" Manu though.

Best case scenario is that the Spurs extend Manu prior to him hitting free agency and they get a verbal from Splitter prior to free agency beginning that he'll join the team.

Worst case...well, I don't want to think about worst case.

montgod
04-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Wasn't sure this was the most current FA forum, but I wanted to throw a name out there: Earl Barron.

He currently is signed for the rest of the season by the Knicks and has done really well statwise as a Center. He is 7 foot and around 245lbs. Anyone actually watch his game to see if he would be worth a flyer?

Libri
04-13-2010, 05:10 PM
2010 Free Agents List (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11)

:)

Thanks for updating the list. That's a lot of work.

Bruno
04-13-2010, 05:16 PM
:toast
Thanks.

So, I've added some FA profiles. I will add the remaining FAs later. There are left some bad players (like Cardinal), some pipe dreams (like Lebron), some never will be a Spur (like Finley or Stackhouse) or some that will never be a FA (like RJ).

If you want to talk about a FA whose profile hasn't been made, just let me know. It's also true for draft prospects, international prospects or trade targets.

HarlemHeat37
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Nice job Bruno, appreciate it, as always..

mountainballer
04-28-2010, 08:26 AM
after the 1st round out of Miami, Wade said some things that many commentators read as indirect evidence that he will stay in Miami.
that's not a surprise.
the interesting part IMO is, that this would be the first domino to fall and that then the other big questions might be decided quickly.
if Wade re signs, Heat will offer the max. to either Bosh or Amare. I can see Bosh go to Miami. with Wade, Beasley, Chalmers and a likely re signed Haslem they have a quality core to build around. (other than the Knicks, who start from scratch)

Bruno
04-28-2010, 09:07 AM
When I look at Heat situation, there is a trade opportunity that strikes me for Spurs with Daequan Cook.

Cook has been horrible this year and he has a $2.2M salary next year. Heat will likely try to dump to create more cap space.

Spurs can absorb Cook salary by trading 3 of their 4 players with a non guaranteed contract (Jerrels, Temple, Hairston and Gee). They were also very high on Cook during the draft and they need a shooter with Mason gone.

What asset Heat is ready to give up to create this cap space? They have the 18th pick in the draft. This pick will also take some cap space. Could they package Cook and #18 for some players with non guaranteed contracts? This trade will cost some money to Spurs, are they ready to spend it?

dc_spursfan
04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
His defense is not great but does a good job in hitting 3's and passing is Mike Miller.

AFBlue
04-28-2010, 03:18 PM
The 2010 Free Agency discussion begins and ends with two players, Tiago Splitter and Manu Ginobili. It's pretty clear the Spurs FO is expected to make a hard run at Splitter and they've likely reserved most, if not all of the MLE to do so. If he decides to return to his current Euro team or go elsewhere in Europe, it'll throw a huge wrench into the Spurs' plans.

Does anyone have an idea what "Plan B" might actually be?

Spurs are in an even stickier situation with Manu. If Manu decides to walk in free agency, the Spurs are only left with two options to replace him...use the aformentioned MLE and forget about Splitter, or make a trade using the expiring contract of RJ. Neither of these options truly "replace" Manu though.

Best case scenario is that the Spurs extend Manu prior to him hitting free agency and they get a verbal from Splitter prior to free agency beginning that he'll join the team.

Worst case...well, I don't want to think about worst case.

Well 1 out of 2 so far has come true...and the latest feeling is that Splitter will cross the pond this off-season. If this is the case, the Spurs are in the best possible position going forward.

The next major concern is whether or not RJ decides to opt out of the last year of his contract, thus becoming a FA. As much as he has underwhelmed given what he was brought in to do and the size of his current contract, I think alot of people would welcome the idea of him opting out. But it's not that simple...

Given Manu's extension, the consequence of RJ opting out would put the Spurs about $5M under the projected cap. This is roughly the same amount as would be available if the Spurs were over the cap and had the Mid-Level Exception at their disposal...with one big difference. If RJ opts out they've got to replace him using the same money that they've already likely tabbed to bring over Splitter. Essentially, they'll have to fill two needs instead of one with the same amount of money.

That's why it's actually beneficial for RJ to "opt in" to the last year of his deal and for the Spurs to either use him or trade his expiring contract for a player (likely with a longer contract) to replace his production.

But if he opts out, it'll be interesting to see how the Spurs proceed. It's definitely the next thing I'm watching for...

AFBlue
04-28-2010, 03:22 PM
When I look at Heat situation, there is a trade opportunity that strikes me for Spurs with Daequan Cook.

Cook has been horrible this year and he has a $2.2M salary next year. Heat will likely try to dump to create more cap space.

Spurs can absorb Cook salary by trading 3 of their 4 players with a non guaranteed contract (Jerrels, Temple, Hairston and Gee). They were also very high on Cook during the draft and they need a shooter with Mason gone.

What asset Heat is ready to give up to create this cap space? They have the 18th pick in the draft. This pick will also take some cap space. Could they package Cook and #18 for some players with non guaranteed contracts? This trade will cost some money to Spurs, are they ready to spend it?

This makes too much sense NOT to happen. Unfortunately, you've posted it in the "free agency" thread when there's a perfectly usable "trade discussion thread". :nope

Just kidding. :lol

mountainballer
04-29-2010, 08:41 AM
it might be crucial for the Heat to dump Cook.
not for the max offer for Bosh or Amare (or another max player), but for re signing Haslem. Haslem isn't the best player in the world, but he is a fan favorite, good friend of Wade and a bit the soul of the Heat. he might take a pay cut from his 7 million to stay with the Heat, but for sure he doesn't accept a offer only half of his current salary. he will get at least MLE offers on the FA market. so, if it comes down to a decision between Cook and Haslem, it's an easy choice for Riley.

AFBlue
04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Outside of the two major items in limbo (Splitter and RJ), the Spurs are going to have to decide what they want their bench and reserve corps to look like next year. Guys like Bogans, Mason, Bonner and Mahinmi are unrestricted FAs while the Spurs hold non-guaranteed options on the young guys (Jerrells, Temple, Gee and Hairston).

It would seem very simple to replace the Mason and Bogans positions in-house with Temple and Hairston, but there are a couple outside candidates that make sense...Nando De Colo (second round pick last year) and Raja Bell both discussed in their respective threads. The two with outside shots at making the roster appear to be Jerrells and Gee, who will likely get additional "seasoning" in Austin should they be retained.

The two that bring up the most discussion are Bonner and Mahinmi for two very different reasons...

Bonner is an absolute known quantity...he's does one thing very well (3pt shooting) and is below average in all other areas (defense, rebounding, etc.). He is the epitome of a role player and should be paid as such. Right now he makes $3M/yr and if he accepts a similar paycheck for the next couple years, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he's back in a Spurs uni next year.

Mahinmi on the other hand, remains an enigma. He's still only 23 years old and has developed slowly, but nicely, into a capable offensive player. He appears to be very efficient when he gets time on the court...but therein lies the problem. For some reason, Pop has chosen not to give Mahinmi the opportunity to really earn minutes. And though Mahinmi doesn't appear to have a great "feel for the game", he's too talented and productive to sit the bench much longer. With Tiago Splitter slated to come in and chew up some significant minutes at C, the outlook for playing time doesn't appear to be improving for Ian. As much as I would like to see him on the Spurs bench as a long athletic F/C, he's probably not going to be willing to sit there anymore...and as an unrestricted FA, he has the right to go elsewhere.

Again these decisions seem secondary to the Splitter/RJ decisions, but filling out the bench with productive players is definitely an important discussion.

Mr Bones
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Barring trades or other big, unexpected moves I think the main focus will be Splitter-- and rightly so. One under-the-radar guy I like is Dominic McGuire. He's a 6'9" defensive minded SF who gets a good amount of rebounds, block shots, and steals as a bench player. He'd fit in with the Spurs and would probably be a very cheap option. Another guy I like is Anthony Morrow, but even his price tag is probably going to be too high at this point.

FeZZy
05-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Anthony Morrow = 3 Point shooting

ace3g
05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
So will Lebron along with all the other big name FA, help the Spurs land some quality shooters below their asking price?

Duncan2177
05-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Brad Miller?

ace3g
05-19-2010, 11:52 PM
If the Spurs can get Splitter to sign what is the earliest he can sign since he he is playing overseas.

For example, after his season is over with in the Spanish league can the Spurs sign him?

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 02:17 AM
If the Spurs can get Splitter to sign what is the earliest he can sign since he he is playing overseas.

For example, after his season is over with in the Spanish league can the Spurs sign him?

July 1st I believe. They might be able to come to a verbal agreement after his season is done but nothing official until free agency starts (july 1)

AFBlue
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
July 1st I believe. They might be able to come to a verbal agreement after his season is done but nothing official until free agency starts (july 1)

I think it might actually be July 8th when you can officially sign someone, with July 1st being the first official day free agents can be contacted by other teams.

Someone might have to check me on that. You're right about anything before then being verbal though.

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:34 PM

I think it might actually be July 8th when you can officially sign someone, with July 1st being the first official day free agents can be contacted by other teams.

Someone might have to check me on that. You're right about anything before then being verbal though.

Players may be signed July 8, 2010 (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q92).

Exceptions to the moratorium:

Teams may sign their first round draft picks (to a standard rookie "scale" contract -- see question number 41)
A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract offer teams must submit to retain their rights to the player.
A restricted free agent can accept a qualifying offer from his prior team (see question number 36).
A restricted free agent finishing the fourth season of his rookie "scale" contract can accept a maximum qualifying offer. The player will receive the maximum salary, but the actual amount is not determined until the end of the moratorium (see question number 36).
Teams may sign players to minimum salary contracts for one or two seasons.

MaNu4Tres
05-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I personally don't believe the Spurs will do much here after their assumed successful pursuit of Splitter. (In regards of addressing SG/SF position via Free Agency)

However, if their 20th pick and THG (Temple, Hairston, Gee) fail to impress or show progress in summer league/workouts by the beginning of August, then I can see Spurs trying to lure a veteran wing around the same time they signed Bogans last year for insurance purposes.

But if I had a wish list of realistically attainable free agent SG/SF's they would be the following in order: (assuming Magic and Celtics make 1.J.J Reddick and 2.Tony Allen a priority to retain. And assuming Splitter takes up around 3-4 million of the MLE.)

Top 4
- Rasual Butler (Market value may be between 2-3 million;which is out of Spurs $ range)
- Raja Bell - (Market value should be between minimum and LLE):tu
- Dorell Wright - (Market value should be around LLE) :tu
- James Jones - (Market value at minimum) :tu

The rest available for minimum-LLE
- Jarvis Hayes - great from the corner 3; good 3 point shooter; tries to do too much offensively at times;decent defender

- Mo Evans- decent shooter;good athleticism( used to be great); better than average defender; can mix it up inside

- Damien Wilkins- Best on the ball defender of this group, one of most underrated perimeter defenders in league IMO;inconsistency from 3 throughout his career (shot 41% from 3 a year ago; and 29% this past year); versatile scorer;good athleticism and 7'0 wingspan.

- Rodney Carney- best athlete of this group; average shooter w/ bad shot selection;decent on ball defender; time is running out for him to prove himself

- Dominic McGuire- 6'9" SF with length and athleticism to become a consistent reliable defender; below average shooter; still room to grow

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
I still feel the spurs need to concentrate on bringing in another PG. I am not very confident that Hill can play backup PG to Tony all year and I for sure as hell don't want Manu having to take that role over and run out of gas by all-star break. maybe a player like felton,blake,watson, ridnour? just a quick list.

MaNu4Tres
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I still feel the spurs need to concentrate on bringing in another PG. I am not very confident that Hill can play backup PG to Tony all year and I for sure as hell don't want Manu having to take that role over and run out of gas by all-star break. maybe a player like felton,blake,watson, ridnour? just a quick list.

If you aren't confident Hill can play the back-up point guard, then I'm not quite sure if there's any point guard that can. (In regards of point guards realistically available.)

Hill has been the best back up point guard the Spurs have ever had. I know that's a bold statement, but it's true IMO. The closest competition he has in this respect in the past 20 years is probably Antonio Daniels from the 00/01, 01/02 seasons. I don't understand the criticism he's received from some people.

Even if I'm wrong on this assessment, why would the Spurs spend a significant portion of their MLE on the point guard position with Tony demanding 30-35 mpg, leaving 13-18 minutes available for Hill (voted 2nd on most improved player in the NBA) and Temple who performed really well this past season? That is not the best route to get the best value out of your MLE. It's pretty dumb basketball economics IMO.

If 35-38 minutes is too overwhelming for Hill at the 2 and the 1, then I'd take away some of his SG minutes. Especially if Hairston, Gee or the #20 pick show adequate progress over the course of the summer.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Nicely said, 'Tres. :tu

And people need to stop picking at Hill's flaws and remember that he's no finished project. He may not ever be the prototypical point guard but neither is Tony. And even if he doesn't develop into the type of playmaker (distributor) Tony's become, he takes care of the ball and is fully capable of getting the team in its sets and initiating the offense. Seeing the growth in his game and confidence from his rookie year to this year only has me more excited to see where he'll be next year.

People need to stop doing what they've done to Tony and others to every player with a flaw or a less than ideal game. If the pros outweigh the cons, why must you feel the need to throw the bathwater out with the baby? (I keed, I keed)

TD 21
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I personally don't believe the Spurs will do much here after their assumed successful pursuit of Splitter. (In regards of addressing SG/SF position via Free Agency)

However, if their 20th pick and THG (Temple, Hairston, Gee) fail to impress or show progress in summer league/workouts by the beginning of August, then I can see Spurs trying to lure a veteran wing around the same time they signed Bogans last year for insurance purposes.

But if I had a wish list of realistically attainable free agent SG/SF's they would be the following in order: (assuming Magic and Celtics make 1.J.J Reddick and 2.Tony Allen a priority to retain. And assuming Splitter takes up around 3-4 million of the MLE.)

Top 4
- Rasual Butler (Market value may be between 2-3 million;which is out of Spurs $ range)
- Raja Bell - (Market value should be between minimum and LLE):tu
- Dorell Wright - (Market value should be around LLE) :tu
- James Jones - (Market value at minimum) :tu

The rest available for minimum-LLE
- Jarvis Hayes - great from the corner 3; good 3 point shooter; tries to do too much offensively at times;decent defender

- Mo Evans- decent shooter;good athleticism( used to be great); better than average defender; can mix it up inside

- Damien Wilkins- Best on the ball defender of this group, one of most underrated perimeter defenders in league IMO;inconsistency from 3 throughout his career (shot 41% from 3 a year ago; and 29% this past year); versatile scorer;good athleticism and 7'0 wingspan.

- Rodney Carney- best athlete of this group; average shooter w/ bad shot selection;decent on ball defender; time is running out for him to prove himself

- Dominic McGuire- 6'9" SF with length and athleticism to become a consistent reliable defender; below average shooter; still room to grow

Having thought about players to fill this role quite a bit, I'd say you nailed it. Barring some unforeseen trade (one option I've brought up is Cook and while I wouldn't be surprised to see him acquired, I don't think it's likely due to him making over $2 million next season), I think it comes down to Jones and Hayes, with the edge to Jones, because he's easily the better three-point shooter of the two.

I'd be fine with Jones. He'd add length, three-point shooting and versatility defensively (though I question whether he could adequately guard Bryant). Hayes, on the other hand, I wouldn't be fine with. Despite his reputation as a shooter, he's a career .356 three-point shooter, which is nowhere near good enough. Jones, by comparison, is .395.

The Spurs should bring in a veteran regardless of how impressive the 20th pick, Hairston, Temple and Gee, look in summer league. It would be foolish to go that young and inexperienced on the wings when aspiring to win a championship. I'm fine with giving those players opportunity to an extent, but it makes sense to have a veteran to bridge the gap between Jefferson, Hill, Ginobili and those three.

MaNu4Tres
05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
The Spurs should bring in a veteran regardless of how impressive the 20th pick, Hairston, Temple and Gee, look in summer league. It would be foolish to go that young and inexperienced on the wings when aspiring to win a championship. I'm fine with giving those players opportunity to an extent, but it makes sense to have a veteran to bridge the gap between Jefferson, Hill, Ginobili and those three.

It wouldn't be necessarily foolish to go with the young wings that have had successful, yet limited experience this past season. Especially if they keep building on their overall game this summer.

Fact of the matter is, the gap between these players and the assumed players available for the minimum isn't significant to where it would significantly alter championship aspirations.

I'm fine with bringing in one of the wings mentioned, as long as they are told from the get go that they have to earn their minutes. I'm content with that. I just don't think they should bring in a player who is expecting a guaranteed role, which would only hinder any progression of these young players who have proven they can have success on the NBA level.

The question is, can the young players show the same success consistently if they are given more opportunity? I think next year is the year the Spurs need to find out with the 20 minutes or so that will be available in the 5th wing slot in the rotation. IMO

TD 21
05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
It wouldn't be necessarily foolish to go with the young wings that have had successful, yet limited experience this past season. Especially if they keep building on their overall game this summer.

Fact of the matter is, the gap between these players and the assumed players available for the minimum isn't significant to where it would significantly alter championship aspirations.

I'm fine with bringing in one of the wings mentioned, as long as they are told from the get go that they have to earn their minutes. I'm content with that. I just don't think they should bring in a player who is expecting a guaranteed role, which would only hinder any progression of these young players who have proven they can have success on the NBA level.

The question is, can the young players show the same success consistently if they are given more opportunity? I think next year is the year the Spurs need to find out with the 20 minutes or so that will be available in the 5th wing slot in the rotation. IMO

Foolish is exactly what it would be and it would be a clear indication that they're not serious about winning another championship. I've yet to see a championship caliber team, let alone a championship team, win with their backup wings consisting of a rookie (who's most likely going to be a second tier prospect) and a cadre of D-Leaguers, not one of which that's established themselves in the league.

The reality is the Spurs will be lucky if one of the D-Leaguers turns into a rotation player, particularly one capable of contributing on a team which aspires to win a championship. To think that they, along with a rookie who'd be the 20th pick, could make up the entire contingent of backup wings for such a team, is not realistic. History tells us that.

I disagree. All around, these players are comparable to and in some cases might be better than, say, Jones, but Jones can do one thing that I know none of these players can do: shoot 40% from three. That's huge on a team that's in desperate need for three-point shooting. On the basis of that one skill, he could be one of those typical role players who plays a (relatively) key role in the playoffs for a championship caliber team.

The Spurs can tell said player the typical company line about "earning their minutes". Unless Jones pulls a 09-10 Mason, or one of the young players plays out of their mind, he should be ahead of them. Any type of veteran player brought in to fill this role will expect minutes; it's only natural. Unless it's a player who really follows the league closely, he's going to look at the Spurs and go "They got Ginobili, Hill and Jefferson as their primary wings and then they got a bunch of guys I've never heard of" and he's going to see himself slotting in between those two groups.

Not a single one has proven they can have success on the NBA level, nor are any such a prospect or talent that they have to be given rotation minutes. I'm all for not burying these guys behind the Bogans' of the world, but at the same time the Spurs can't honestly just rely on these guys and expect to not just compete for, but win, a championship that way.

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Foolish is exactly what it would be and it would be a clear indication that they're not serious about winning another championship.

The reality is the Spurs will be lucky if one of the D-Leaguers turns into a rotation player, particularly one capable of contributing on a team which aspires to win a championship. To think that they, along with a rookie who'd be the 20th pick, could make up the entire contingent of backup wings for such a team, is not realistic. History tells us that.

Not a single one has proven they can have success on the NBA level, nor are any such a prospect or talent that they have to be given rotation minutes.

First off, saying that they have had no success in the NBA isn't accurate. They've had some success in the NBA, even though it was limited they still were successful in the NBA minutes given to them; much more success than the typical "D-Leaguer" would produce. In fact the main reasons why they spent time in the D-League because of two reasons:

1. They were owned by a team loaded with veterans vying for a championship and no time was available. And please don't say, well if they were that good then they would have earned playing time in practice. The Spurs hardly ever had real practices or scrimmages rather. They would have a light run through, where they go over assignments for an upcoming opponent. And follow that with a light shoot around. And that is it.

2. Because of being on a roster, full of veterans who all have " earned their stripes" with Popovich or with the NBA. Spurs wanted their young players to get quality playing time to keep their game in a progressive rhythm. It was virtually impossible for them to find playing time on the Spurs with the way Spurs were contending for a title. It's a testament to how good Temple and Hairston have progressed to have actually earned some playing time over some veterans during some important games.

If you don't think they had any amount of success in the NBA last year, I'd like you to tell me what this indicates then. And just in case you want to use the " they played only garbage time" card. I laid out all the stats in the games they averaged over 20 minutes.

Garrett Temple- played in 27 NBA games last year. In 334 minutes at 12 minutes per game he averaged 5 ppg on 44% shooting and 35% from 3.

*In 10 games Garrett Temple averaged 21.4 mpg and averaged 10.2 ppg on 49% shooting and 45% from 3.*

Malik Hairston - played in 47 NBA games last year. In 317 minutes he shot 57% from the field and 20% from 3.

*In 7 games Malik Hairston averaged 23 mpg and averaged 10 ppg on 59% shooting and 29% from 3. *

Alonzo Gee- played in 11 NBA games last year. In 182 minutes at 16.5 mpg he averaged. 7.4 points on 48% shoting and 78% from 3(inflated due to small sample size only 9 attempts)

*In the 6 games Alonzo Gee averaged 22.8 mpg and averaged 10.3 ppg on 51% shooting and 75% from 3(6-8)*

As I said before this indicates some success in the NBA, limited but still success. They were able to compete and perform on the NBA level on more than one occasion. So to say they are just "D-Leaguers" is foolish to say.

* Also you are arguing over something I did not say.*
I'm not saying bringing a veteran in is a bad idea. I'm for it as long as they aren't guaranteed a role. Of course whoever they bring will expect time, they are competitors. But that doesn't mean for Popovich to give them the benefit of the doubt like he did with Mason and Bogans. As long as what happened with Mason and Bogans this past year doesn't happen again, I'm content with bringing in a minimum level veteran for insurance purposes.

TD 21
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
First off, saying that they have had no success in the NBA isn't accurate. They've had some success in the NBA, even though it was limited they still were successful in the NBA minutes given to them; much more success than the typical "D-Leaguer" would produce. In fact the main reasons why they spent time in the D-League because of two reasons:

1. They were owned by a team loaded with veterans vying for a championship and no time was available. And please don't say, well if they were that good then they would have earned playing time in practice. The Spurs hardly ever had real practices or scrimmages rather. They would have a light run through, where they go over assignments for an upcoming opponent. And follow that with a light shoot around. And that is it.

2. Because of being on a roster, full of veterans who all have " earned their stripes" with Popovich or with the NBA. Spurs wanted their young players to get quality playing time to keep their game in a progressive rhythm. It was virtually impossible for them to find playing time on the Spurs with the way Spurs were contending for a title. It's a testament to how good Temple and Hairston have progressed to have actually earned some playing time over some veterans during some important games.

If you don't think they had any amount of success in the NBA last year, I'd like you to tell me what this indicates then. And just in case you want to use the " they played only garbage time" card. I laid out all the stats in the games they averaged over 20 minutes.

Garrett Temple- played in 27 NBA games last year. In 334 minutes at 12 minutes per game he averaged 5 ppg on 44% shooting and 35% from 3.

*In 10 games Garrett Temple averaged 21.4 mpg and averaged 10.2 ppg on 49% shooting and 45% from 3.*

Malik Hairston - played in 47 NBA games last year. In 317 minutes he shot 57% from the field and 20% from 3.

*In 7 games Malik Hairston averaged 23 mpg and averaged 10 ppg on 59% shooting and 29% from 3. *

Alonzo Gee- played in 11 NBA games last year. In 182 minutes at 16.5 mpg he averaged. 7.4 points on 48% shoting and 78% from 3(inflated due to small sample size only 9 attempts)

*In the 6 games Alonzo Gee averaged 22.8 mpg and averaged 10.3 ppg on 51% shooting and 75% from 3(6-8)*

As I said before this indicates some success in the NBA, limited but still success. They were able to compete and perform on the NBA level on more than one occasion. So to say they are just "D-Leaguers" is foolish to say.

* Also you are arguing over something I did not say.*
I'm not saying bringing a veteran in is a bad idea. I'm for it as long as they aren't guaranteed a role. Of course whoever they bring will expect time, they are competitors. But that doesn't mean for Popovich to give them the benefit of the doubt like he did with Mason and Bogans. As long as what happened with Mason and Bogans this past year doesn't happen again, I'm content with bringing in a minimum level veteran for insurance purposes.

You're right, technically it isn't accurate, but guess what? Mason has had success in the NBA. In fact, more than any of them have had to date. So how about the Spurs re-sign him? Or bring back Udoka? He had moments where he looked like a credible NBA player. The point is none of the D-Leaguers are anywhere near established enough or are projected to have high enough ceilings that a team with championship aspirations should entrust them with a role in the rotation. If one plays out of his mind and earns that trust, then fine.

Ah, more telling me things I already know. When did I imply these guys weren't "good"? I've repeatedly said, I like Hairston and don't want to see these guys buried behind a cadre of minimal veterans (just like I said I'd like to see Mahinmi re-sign), but you're so caught up in having an argument that you've obviously failed to realize that.

I disagree. It was more so a testament to how bad Bogans and in particular Mason were, that Hairston and Temple got some minutes. In the case of Temple, he primarily got minutes because the Spurs were thin at the point.

At this writing, they are just D-Leaguers. Maybe by this time next year, they won't be. But I think you, like many, are getting carried away with these guys just because you've been starving for youth/athleticism on this team for a while. The reality is none of these guys is a first tier prospect and the likelihood of more than one becoming a rotation player for a championship caliber team is not good. In fact, there's a very real possibility that none will be of that quality, especially as soon as next season. Sure, they all might be able to play in the league on some run of the mill team, but the Spurs need a specific skill set for this role of primary backup wing and I don't think any of these guys fit the bill.

Whatever veteran is brought in should absolutely be given the benefit of the doubt. They have a track record; the D-Leaguers don't.

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 07:14 PM
At this writing, they are just D-Leaguers. Maybe by this time next year, they won't be. But I think you, like many, are getting carried away with these guys just because you've been starving for youth/athleticism on this team for a while. The reality is none of these guys is a first tier prospect and the likelihood of more than one becoming a rotation player for a championship caliber team is not good. In fact, there's a very real possibility that none will be of that quality, especially as soon as next season. Sure, they all might be able to play in the league on some run of the mill team, but the Spurs need a specific skill set for this role of primary backup wing and I don't think any of these guys fit the bill.

Whatever veteran is brought in should absolutely be given the benefit of the doubt. They have a track record; the D-Leaguers don't.

No at this writing they are under contract with an NBA team. Making them NBA players. Not D-Leaguers. That my friend is a fact.

And I'm not getting carried away with them at all. I'm actually being realistic. As many high respected posters on this board would agree. I'm not talking about them becoming a starter or a first wing off the bench. I'm talking about the likely hood of one of them establishing themselves as the 5th wing in the rotation. Which more than likely could be the case.

TD 21
05-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Bring up any technicality you want, the reality is none are established NBA players and none are blue chip prospects. To entrust any beforehand to play a relatively important role for a team with championship aspirations would be foolish.

Who cares who else agrees? This conversation is between me and you and as near as I can tell, you're getting carried away with these players. The Spurs will be lucky if one provides them with a meaningful contribution next season.

By the way, it's likelihood; not likely hood.

ace3g
05-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I'd take Butler but I don't want anymore of these 6'5 "bulldog" "centerpiece" type defenders like: Udoka, Bell, Bogans.

ceperez
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I'd take Butler but I don't want anymore of these 6'5 "bulldog" "centerpiece" type defenders like: Udoka, Bell, Bogans.

agree.

none of these 6'5" and under guys are going to be able to guard the players we need to limit at the playoff level. Think of guys like bryant, lebron, anthony, durant and so forth.

tdunk21
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
can we sign shannon brown??

mountainballer
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
only if he opts out of his 2nd year with the Lakers. he would get 2.15 million next season. so if he opts out, he expects more than this number. (which is a LLE contract)
if Spurs sign Splitter for all or most of the MLE as expected, they only have the LLE to offer to Brown. bottom line: even if he opted out, Spurs don't have a chance to sign him considering the current situation.

manufan10
06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I was going to say that I thought if the Spurs could steal Channing Frye away from the Suns to take Bonner's place, but after looking at their stats, they are very similar.

Frye: 22 min 9 pts 46% FG 42% 3FG 80% FT 5 RPG

Bonner: 18 min 7 pts 47% FG 41% 3FG 79% FT 4 RPG

Those are career numbers. I thought that Frye had better production, but I think him shooting over 50% 3FG against the Spurs in the playoffs tainted my views of him.

What do you guys think of Frye? This is, of course, if Splitter decides not to come over.

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
I was going to say that I thought if the Spurs could steal Channing Frye away from the Suns to take Bonner's place, but after looking at their stats, they are very similar.

Frye: 22 min 9 pts 46% FG 42% 3FG 80% FT 5 RPG

Bonner: 18 min 7 pts 47% FG 41% 3FG 79% FT 4 RPG

Those are career numbers. I thought that Frye had better production, but I think him shooting over 50% 3FG against the Spurs in the playoffs tainted my views of him.

What do you guys think of Frye? This is, of course, if Splitter decides not to come over.

Frye will be vastly overpaid this off-season. He can shoot the 3 sure (even though hes pretty inconsistent at times) but he brings absolutely nothing else to the table. He is even worse defensively than Bonner.

manufan10
06-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Frye will be vastly overpaid this off-season. He can shoot the 3 sure (even though hes pretty inconsistent at times) but he brings absolutely nothing else to the table. He is even worse defensively than Bonner.

I thought about that after I made my post. Someone will throw way too much money at him because he had a decent season shooting the ball.

I wasn't sure if he brought anything else to the table or not, but I think that's because my thought of him was skewed by the performance he gave against the Spurs.

MaNu4Tres
06-09-2010, 01:01 PM

I don't think Frye will be overpaid. His market value should be close to 3-4 million. IMO

And Frye is not as bad defensively as you're implicating. The guy has the length and size to be able to contest shots off the ball from the weak side and in one on one situations in the post; much more effectively than Bonner can.

If Splitter stays in Europe and Spurs have the choice in bringing back Bonner or going after Frye. I'd go with Frye, even though I have a feeling he will resign in Phoenix.

On the other hand, If Splitter stays in Europe my first option would be to draft Larry Sanders and to resign Mahinmi for around 1.50-2 million a year.

That is a much better option than competing with other teams in a bidding war for a role player of Frye's caliber. IMO Which would result in paying 20-30 million over the course of 5 years. (Too much money and too many years.)

And if you really think about it, the Spurs have been very reluctant on giving role players contracts for more than 2-3 years. Only ones I can think of on top of my head are Malik Rose and Rasho Nestorovic, which the F.O realized how big of a mistake it was not even 2 years after the fact.( Because of them I think they have learned their lesson. Which is something many GM's should learn from R.C and Pop; Joe Dumars anyone?)

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't think Frye will be overpaid. His market value should be close to 3-4 million. IMO

And Frye is not as bad defensively as you're implicating. The guy has the length and size to be able to contest shots off the ball from the weak side and in one on one situations in the post. Much more effectively than Bonner can.

I think someone could be stupid enough to throw him 5-6 mil a year contract which IMO is too much. 3-4 would be just fine.

His length is good sure but true post players are able to just go to town down low on him in the paint. I know we didn't see much of Tim doing during the 2nd round like we expected but that has more to do with Tim getting older and his knees than it does Frye's defense. The comparison to Bonner might be harsh but I think Bonner is better moving his feet and staying in front of his man than Frye is but overall another "stretch 5" who plays at best mediocre defense definitely is not the answer IMO.

MaNu4Tres
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I think someone could be stupid enough to throw him 5-6 mil a year contract which IMO is too much. 3-4 would be just fine.

His length is good sure but true post players are able to just go to town down low on him in the paint. I know we didn't see much of Tim doing during the 2nd round like we expected but that has more to do with Tim getting older and his knees than it does Frye's defense. The comparison to Bonner might be harsh but I think Bonner is better moving his feet and staying in front of his man than Frye is but overall another "stretch 5" who plays at best mediocre defense definitely is not the answer IMO.

I don't understand how you can come to a consensus that Bonner stays in front of his man better. IMO Frye did a fine job against LA, SA and POR in regards of staying in front of his man. We can agree to disagree, I don't think there's as big of a discrepancy as you're implying. I think Frye is an underrated positional defender with length to be able to contest more effectively from the weak side and in one on one situations. Bonner has good positioning as well, but due to his physical liabilities, he loses the battle more often than not in one on one situations. From the weak side Bonner doesn't have the ability to contest, so he resorts to trying to take charges; meaning he has to be precise in his rotation in timely fashion or it's an easy 2 points or 2 free throws. If he's too late it's 2 free throws, if he's too early the offensive player can easily make an adjustment to easily get his shot off around the basket without an effective contest from Bonner.

DesignatedT
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't understand how you can come to a consensus that Bonner stays in front of his man better. IMO Frye did a fine job against LA, SA and POR in regards of staying in front of his man. We can agree to disagree, I don't think there's as big of a discrepancy as you're implying. I think Frye is an underrated positional defender with length to be able to contest more effectively from the weak side and in one on one situations. Bonner has good positioning as well, but due to his physical liabilities, he loses the battle more often than not in one on one situations. From the weak side Bonner doesn't have the ability to contest,so he resorts to trying to take charges; meaning he has to be precise in his rotation in timely fashion or it's an easy 2 points or 2 free throws. If he's too late it's 2 free throws, if he's too early the offensive player can easily make an adjustment to easily get his shot off around the basket without an effective contest from Bonner.

While I'm not trying to defend Bonner whatsoever (I want him out as much as the next guy) but I've never heard of Channing Frye being some strong weak side defender. I was more implying that when pulled out to the perimeter I think Bonner is better at staying in front of his man while hes driving to the basket. There is no doubt in my mind Frye is the better post defender although I don't know about him being some good weak side defender but at the end of the day I wouldn't want either of them on our squad, especially if it means giving up our MLE for one of them. I don't think were really disagreeing on much. I don't like Bonner's defense as much as the next person but I definitely don't think Frye is much better if any better at all in that regard.

MaNu4Tres
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
but I've never heard of Channing Frye being some strong weak side defender. I don't know about him being some good weak side defender

Yeah I never said he was a strong- weak side defender. I just mentioned he was capable, where Bonner is not.

pad300
06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Regarding Frye vs Bonner, the major difference is not statistical nor defensive ability, rather it is that Frye has demonstrated that he's not a complete choke artist in the playoffs... Unlike Bonner. I would not object to Frye on the team, but I suspect he will be overpaid this summer; even if we are not able to sign Splitter, I am not sure that Frye is worth the MLE.

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Frye has played in 2 playoffs' and has been extremely bad..PER of 10.5, TS% under 51..he's not a Bonner-level choker(only Roger Mason is at that level), but he's a certified choker..

I don't think his D is that bad, his post D is pretty decent, better than I thought it would be..I just don't like him though, I don't think he's a championship-level player..he's soft and has low basketball IQ, as he demonstrated in the playoffs with his bad shot selection and bad decision making..

Hopefully the Spurs go away from these soft chokers..stop looking for Horry so hard, Robert was a unique player..

benefactor
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Frye has played in 2 playoffs' and has been extremely bad..PER of 10.5, TS% under 51..he's not a Bonner-level choker(only Roger Mason is at that level), but he's a certified choker..

I don't think his D is that bad, his post D is pretty decent, better than I thought it would be..I just don't like him though, I don't think he's a championship-level player..he's soft and has low basketball IQ, as he demonstrated in the playoffs with his bad shot selection and bad decision making..

Hopefully the Spurs go away from these soft chokers..stop looking for Horry so hard, Robert was a unique player..
:tu

manufan10
06-10-2010, 09:46 AM
As I said earlier, I think my judgment was probably skewed by the awesome series he had against the Spurs. I also know that Pop has been looking for a 4 that can effectively spread the floor. Personally, I would prefer if they looked for a defensive minded 4 or at least one who is effective defensively. If the Spurs got someone who can be intimidating in the low post defensively, then I think that would help Tim out a lot. He won't have to use all of his energy on the defensive end being the only reliable big in the middle.

I'm not sure if there is someone like that out there in free agency, although I did see Francisco Elson is available. :lol

Mel_13
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Sham has put together his best guess as to the actual amount of cap space teams will have this summer. He shows his assumptions. Very good reference for this subject.

1. Miami 25.1M (in addition to DWade, over 41M without him)
2. NY 34.1M
3. NJ 26.8M
4. Chicago 20.6M
5. Wash 19.9M
6. SAC 18.8M
7. LAC 17.6M
8. Minny 16.9M
9. OKC 14.1M

http://blog.shamsports.com/2010/06/amount-of-cap-room-teams-will-actually.html

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
how about darius miles? whose attempting a comeback with the bobcats...

all we need is a long 3 to play defense and hit outside shots thats about it, can his knees hold him up?

Bruno
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Josh Lomers from Baylor will attend Spurs mini-camp that starts on July 8th.

http://boernestar.com/articles/2010/06/18/sports/boerne/doc4c1bb2859b8f3668003656.txt

DesignatedT
06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Josh Lomers from Baylor will attend Spurs mini-camp that starts on July 8th.

http://boernestar.com/articles/2010/06/18/sports/boerne/doc4c1bb2859b8f3668003656.txt

Oh god. This guy is terrible.

kromediablo
06-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Spurs wont get any big name free agents, because nobody wantds to play here. Lebron will never join the spurs, hes booked to go to LA!

Chieflion
06-19-2010, 02:19 AM
Spurs wont get any big name free agents, because nobody wantds to play here. Lebron will never join the spurs, hes booked to go to LA!

That's very insightful of you.

TimDunkem
06-19-2010, 02:34 AM
That's very insightful of you.
lol This is catching on.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Clay Tucker will have a tryout with Spurs. If he doesn't get a guaranteed contract, which will likely happens, he will be back in Europe.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/146438456

"I have a tryout with (NBA) Washington this week, then one with the Cavs," Tucker said. "I also have one with San Antonio. I'll see if I have a legitimate chance to make a club. If not, I'll go back to Spain. It's a win-win situation."

benefactor
06-22-2010, 05:44 AM
He had a pretty good season in Spain, so I'm sure guaranteed money is waiting on him there. Perhaps he at least earns a training camp invite.

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Tucker is pretty much Roger Mason. he was good in Spain that last 2 seasons. but he is 30 and has yet to play his 1st NBA game. big gamble if a NBA team gives him guaranteed money at this point.
(well, of course a minimum contract isn't expensive as he would be rookie)

manufan10
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Stupid NBA. I knew it was rigged. No one has a shot of winning ever again. I'm never going to watch the NBA again.

Mr Bones
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Sham has put together his best guess as to the actual amount of cap space teams will have this summer. He shows his assumptions. Very good reference for this subject.

1. Miami 25.1M (in addition to DWade, over 41M without him)
2. NY 34.1M
3. NJ 26.8M
4. Chicago 20.6M
5. Wash 19.9M
6. SAC 18.8M
7. LAC 17.6M
8. Minny 16.9M
9. OKC 14.1M

http://blog.shamsports.com/2010/06/amount-of-cap-room-teams-will-actually.html

I'm amazed that there isn't more talk of free agents going to OKC. I really think they are one player away from contending for a championship.

ace3g
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Salmons Tells Bucks He's Opting Out

John Salmons has told the Bucks that he will opt out of the final year of his contract and hit the free agent market.

Salmons helped lead Milwaukee to the postseason and a seven-game defeat at the hands of Atlanta in the first round.

"Free Agency 2010 sleeper alert: John Salmons has notified Milwaukee that he will be opting out, according to a source close to him," Sam Amick of FanHouse wrote on his Twitter page.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67360/20100622/salmons_tells_bucks_hes_opting_out/#ixzz0rc88DxWf

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Interesting move on his behalf. I guess he might be able to secure more guaranteed money before the new CBA, though. I'm guessing that's the thought process . . .

Feel free to come play for the Spurs on a significant salary reduction, Johhny. :)

Bruno
06-25-2010, 04:28 AM
After the draft, I think Spurs will have 3 priorities in FA:

Priority #1: Getting a quality bigman.
Tiago Splitter will be option A, B and C to fill that need. If Spurs can't reach a deal with them, they should go after a vet FA with the MLE.

Priority #2:: Getting a backup SF.
Spurs will have 5 perimeter players under guaranteed contracts (Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Anderson and Jefferson) and 4 ones with partially or fully non guaranteed contracts (Jerrells, Hairston, Gee and Temple). Among these 9 players, only 1 is higher than 6'6". Spurs will need a player with some length. Outside shot and good defense will also be welcome.

Priority #3: Getting a 5th bigman.
Duncan, Splitter, McDyess and Blair should be a good rotation for the playoffs but Spurs will need more depth for the regular season to have fresh Duncan and Dice for the playoffs. There are dozen of options for that spot but Spurs could go with re-signing Bonner :td or re-signing Mahinmi :tu.

I can Spurs going with this 12 players active roster at the start of the season:
Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Anderson, Jefferson, backup SF, Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, 5th PF/C, one of Temple/Gee/Hairston.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 05:10 AM
After the draft, I think Spurs will have 3 priorities in FA:

Priority #1: Getting a quality bigman.
Tiago Splitter will be option A, B and C to fill that need. If Spurs can't reach a deal with them, they should go after a vet FA with the MLE.

Priority #2:: Getting a backup SF.
Spurs will have 5 perimeter players under guaranteed contracts (Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Anderson and Jefferson) and 4 ones with partially or fully non guaranteed contracts (Jerrells, Hairston, Gee and Temple). Among these 9 players, only 1 is higher than 6'6". Spurs will need a player with some length. Outside shot and good defense will also be welcome.

Priority #3: Getting a 5th bigman.
Duncan, Splitter, McDyess and Blair should be a good rotation for the playoffs but Spurs will need more depth for the regular season to have fresh Duncan and Dice for the playoffs. There are dozen of options for that spot but Spurs could go with re-signing Bonner :td or re-signing Mahinmi :tu.

I can Spurs going with this 12 players active roster at the start of the season:
Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Anderson, Jefferson, backup SF, Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, 5th PF/C, one of Temple/Gee/Hairston.

Nice summation Bruno. :tu Those certainly seem to be the needs. If the Spurs don't use their Bird Rights for Bonner or Mahinmi, then both 2 and 3 will need to come from minimum contracts and/or LLE and/or what's left of the MLE. My best guess would be a veteran SF for the LLE and a veteran big man for the minimum, a la Theo Ratliff.

admiralsnackbar
06-25-2010, 05:31 AM
I wonder if Marcus Williams is worth a third (fourth? Fifth? ..I lose track) look in SL? He's long, has some experience with the system, and is cheap cheap cheap.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 05:38 AM
I wonder if Marcus Williams is worth a third (fourth? Fifth? ..I lose track) look in SL? He's long, has some experience with the system, and is cheap cheap cheap.

Speaking of SF summer league blasts from the past, one has to wonder if this is the make-or-break summer for James Gist. As willing as he was to go overseas for the Spurs, you have to think that his dream is to play in the NBA. This may be the summer where he says, "Give me a shot, or set me free."

Bruno
06-25-2010, 05:39 AM
If the Spurs don't use their Bird Rights for Bonner or Mahinmi, then both 2 and 3 will need to come from minimum contracts and/or LLE and/or what's left of the MLE. My best guess would be a veteran SF for the LLE and a veteran big man for the minimum, a la Theo Ratliff.

Agree. I've ranked these priorities by order of importance.

I think Spurs will make the financial effort to get Splitte because he is damn good and will after that be cautious with the money spend. If there is a SF worth it, he could get the LLE but I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs filling that spot with a vet min player. For the 5th PF/C, it should be a min player. a player like Bonner could be too expensive for Spurs to fit that role.

outmap
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
T-Mac for the LLE as back-up SF. :)

RiverwalkParade
06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Elson or Rasho for vet min-they know the system, have "corporate knowledge"
Barnes or James Jones for LLE
Splitter-MLE

PG: Parker, Hill, Temple
SG: Hill, Manu, Anderson
SF: RJ, Barnes/Jones, Anderson
PF: TD, Blair
C: Splitter, McDyess, Elson/Rasho

tdunk21
06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
matt barnes makes 1.6mil right now with the magic and has a player option.....can the spurs offer more than 1.6mil to get him....he would be a very good addition....can we offer him the LLE or BAE or LLE+BAE or vet min

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Prediction

1. Spurs sign Splitter for most of the MLE (if not all)
2. Spurs resign Mahinmi for 3 years (last year being team or player option)
3. Spurs pick up the options on Temple, Hairston and Gee.
4. Richards is the 14th man on the roster (spending 95% of the time in Austin).

Starters
PG Tony Parker
SG James Anderson
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Tim Duncan
C Tiago Splitter

Main core off the bench
PG/SG George Hill
SG Manu Ginobili
PF DeJuan Blair
PF/C Antonio McDyess (minutes limited during reg. season; sits game on B2B)
C Ian Mahinmi (Finally gets minutes due to TD,AM PT limited and DNP's)

Musical chairs on Inactive and Active Roster; 2 of the 3 will be on the Active Roster at all times (if everyone healthy)
SG/SF Alonzo Gee
SG/SF Malik Hairston
PG Garrett Temple

14th player on the roster spending 95% of his time in Austin
C Ryan Richards

Potential players to fill out the roster to 15
PG Curtis Jerrels
SF/PF James Gist
SG-C Rookie Free Agent

coyotes_geek
06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Prediction

Starters
PG Tony Parker
SG James Anderson
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Tim Duncan
C Tiago Splitter

Main core off the bench
PG/SG George Hill
SG Manu Ginobili
PF DeJuan Blair

Musical chairs on Inactive and Active Roster; 2 of the 3 will be on the Active Roster at all times (if everyone healthy)
SG/SF Alonzo Gee
SG/SF Malik Hairston
PG Garrett Temple

C Ryan Richards

PG Curtis Jerrels
SF/PF James Gist
SG-C Rookie Free Agent

I really hope you're wrong because that's not a very deep roster. At least two guys out of the Gee-Hairston-Temple-Mahinmi-Richards group need to be replaced with NBA veterans.

ace3g
06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Bobcats just announced that they have extended qualifying offer to Tyrus Thomas, making him restricted free agent

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I think we'll look to free agency to find another SF. My gut is telling me Hairston and Gee's time is up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
C Splitter/McDyess/Richards
PF Duncan/Blair/Mahinmi
SF Jefferson/free agent
SG Anderson/Manu
PG Tony/Hill/Temple

is how I see the roster finishing as.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I really hope you're wrong because that's not a very deep roster. At least two guys out of the Gee-Hairston-Temple-Mahinmi-Richards group need to be replaced with NBA veterans.

Do you really see a veteran coming in for the minimum and being relevant in the grand scheme of things (because I don't).

Spurs have:

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Splitter
McDyess
Blair
Hill
Anderson

All being the main core that will be the main gist( no not that one) of the rotation.

After that the Spurs would be wise to retain players that can not only help now, but also be building blocks for the future.

Spurs don't need to surround the Ginobili, Duncan, Parker, McDyess, Jefferson nucleus with older minimum-like veterans when they have more talented young players that are able to contribute more effectively ( Hill, Blair, Anderson, and even Mahinmi (if resigned) and Hairston and Gee to a degree)...

I'm not making you agree with me now.

Just my opinion.

RiverwalkParade
06-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I would like the idea of signing Anthony Tolliver from GS as the 5th big. He stretches the floor, has NBA game experience now, and has played in the Spurs system.

tdunk21
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Prediction

Starters
PG Tony Parker
SG James Anderson
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Tim Duncan
C Tiago Splitter

Main core off the bench
PG/SG George Hill
SG Manu Ginobili
PF DeJuan Blair

SG/SF Alonzo Gee
SG/SF Malik Hairston
PG Garrett Temple

C Ryan Richards

PG Curtis Jerrels
SF/PF James Gist
SG-C Rookie Free Agent

very good prediction, but how much time did hairston, temple, gee get in the series with suns....imo none....my guess is pop doesnt trust young players like hairston, gee and temple just because they are not experienced enough to take the pressure in a playoff series....so that forces the FO to go out get veterans for minimum or LLE....so my guess is spurs will still try to get some more depth via FA for the LLE, BAE and vet minimum.....

coyotes_geek
06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Do you really see a veteran coming in for the minimum and being relevant in the grand scheme of things (because I don't).

You really don't think there's anyone out there who has been good enough to stick on an nba roster for some number of years who both 1) would play for league minimum and 2) is capable of beating out enough guys in the Gee/Hairston/Temple/Mahinmi/Edwards/Jerrells club to be one of the 10-12 best players on this team? Not even 1?

Spurs have:

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Splitter
McDyess
Blair
Hill
Anderson

All being the main core that will be the main gist( no not that one) of the rotation.

I like that group of 9, but it's only a group of 9. If the remaining 6 spots are all going to be filled by d-league projects then that's not a very deep roster. Go look at the last 6 spots on the teams who were better than the Spurs and compare those groups of players to Gee, Hairston, Temple, Mahinmi, Richards and whoever you want as your 15th player. I think you'll find a noticable difference in the collective experience.

I'm not saying I want a team where the end of the bench is nothing but league min vets. But I don't want one where the end of the bench is nothing but d-league prospects either. There's a balance in there that must be found. The way the Spurs roster looks today finding that balance is going to involve cutting loose 2 or 3 of the youngins and replacing them with 2 or 3 vets.

mountainballer
06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
agree to CG. this 9 players are a great start. but you can't fill it up by adding 4-6 more young players without (or very little) NBA experience.
we need at least 2 more veterans. maybe 3. (PG, wing and big)

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 05:26 PM
agree to CG. this 9 players are a great start. but you can't fill it up by adding 4-6 more young players without (or very little) NBA experience.
we need at least 2 more veterans. maybe 3. (PG, wing and big)

I suggest a cage match between James Jones (who you corner) and Dominic McGuire (whom the Omnipotent Blackjack will corner) and we'll see who comes out on top.

:downspin:

ace3g
06-25-2010, 06:11 PM
unless Spurs can get another SF in trade , I'd go with Korver, James Jones, or Rasual Butler as the back up SF/shooter

Bruno
06-26-2010, 04:02 AM
6 months ago, I would have agreed with the idea that it was important for Spurs to get a lot of vet depth.

Now, it isn't really the case.

Spurs made the playoffs with Duncan, McDyess, Bonner, Blair and Mahinmi at PF/C. I was real surprised to see them with only 3 proven bigmen and they did it by choice. They traded away Ratliff at the trade deadline and didn't sign a vet while they have the money since they signed young players (Gee, Temple and Jerrels).

I don't think Spurs will go as far as MaNu4Tres scenario but I also don't think they will fell the need to sign 2 or 3 vet. They could go with only one (a SF).

Chieflion
06-26-2010, 04:41 AM
The Spurs also have the LLE that was not used last year. The Spurs should be using it this year for the back-up SF. Worst case scenario is that the Spurs re-sign Bogans or something.

mountainballer
06-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I suggest a cage match between James Jones (who you corner) and Dominic McGuire (whom the Omnipotent Blackjack will corner) and we'll see who comes out on top.

:downspin:

fine with me. I suggest it's 4 corners and there are some people who want to see Rasual Butler in another corner and it will be inevitable that at some point someone pulls Matt Barnes.

Chieflion
06-26-2010, 07:10 AM
fine with me. I suggest it's 4 corners and there are some people who want to see Rasual Butler in another corner and it will be inevitable that at some point someone pulls Matt Barnes.

6 corners. Matt Barnes, James Jones, Dominic McGuire, Rasual Butler, Keith Bogans and

Roger Mason Jr

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2010, 09:29 AM
The Spurs also have the LLE that was not used last year. The purs should be using it this year for the back-up SF. Worst case scenario is that the Spurs re-sign Bogans or something.

Spurs do have the LLE, but it all depends how high the Spurs are on Hairston and Gee.

If Spurs are high on both of them, I don't see the Spurs signing a veteran on the wing for the minimum or LLE (Especially when this signing would be costing double the salary due to being over the cap; and if they are high on both Hairston and Gee then this signing would more than likely be very expendable; pretty dumb business move to add expendable pieces when finances are tight). *BTW my opinion is that they are high on them; not that it matters*

In the perfect world, we would all love the Spurs to attain a long defensive player at the 3, but with the limited resources available (after the assumed signing of Splitter) and with there being hardly any long defensive 3's who can shoot the 3 (that are available in the first place), I rather just go the internal growth route where the Spurs already have capable athletic defenders with a brand new motor so to speak.

If they aren't high on the two, then I can see the Spurs using the minimum or LLE on a wing in late July and early August as a security blanket for the wing situation. (But I don't think this will be the case).

TheProfessor
06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
May have already been answered - do the Spurs have the BAE this year?

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 03:37 PM
May have already been answered - do the Spurs have the BAE this year?

Yes.

For those that may be curious, BAE and LLE refer to the same thing. An exception worth about 2M for a maximum length of two years. Like the MLE, it may be divided among two or more players.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2010, 03:37 PM
C Splitter/McDyess/Richards
PF Duncan/Blair/Mahinmi
SF Jefferson/free agent
SG Anderson/Manu
PG Tony/Hill/Temple

is how I see the roster finishing as.

If that's the final roster, we are impressively young. Only three players over 30. :wow

ace3g
06-26-2010, 05:38 PM
here is what Outlaw can do against the Lakers, wasn't afraid to post up Kobe either
Niry4ob9k6E&feature=related
F-9EuB-5x6A

but like others have said he is young and will most likely get more then the LLE

Dr Cox
06-26-2010, 06:26 PM
sf?

lebron?

TD 21
06-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Spurs do have the LLE, but it all depends how high the Spurs are on Hairston and Gee.

If Spurs are high on both of them, I don't see the Spurs signing a veteran on the wing for the minimum or LLE (Especially when this signing would be costing double the salary due to being over the cap; and if they are high on both Hairston and Gee then this signing would more than likely be very expendable; pretty dumb business move to add expendable pieces when finances are tight). *BTW my opinion is that they are high on them; not that it matters*

In the perfect world, we would all love the Spurs to attain a long defensive player at the 3, but with the limited resources available (after the assumed signing of Splitter) and with there being hardly any long defensive 3's who can shoot the 3 (that are available in the first place), I rather just go the internal growth route where the Spurs already have capable athletic defenders with a brand new motor so to speak.

If they aren't high on the two, then I can see the Spurs using the minimum or LLE on a wing in late July and early August as a security blanket for the wing situation. (But I don't think this will be the case).

:tu

I think it would take both Hairston and Gee playing beyond awful in Summer League for the Spurs to sign a veteran wing.

A guy I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they signed is Novak. Cheap, young, good three-point shooter and would provide more depth and length at SF as well as a stretch four.

But he wouldn't really be in direct competition with Hairston and Gee. They'd be filling one role, he'd be filling another, even though they can all play SF.

As far as the Butler's and Jones' of the world, I think they'll steer clear of them now that they have Anderson. Had they drafted Williams, then I think it would be a different story.

ohmwrecker
06-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I think it would take both Hairston and Gee playing beyond awful in Summer League for the Spurs to sign a veteran wing.

I don't get the feeling the Spurs are sold on Hairston. The dude sat in IR for the playoffs in favor of three players with injuries who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I cannot fathom how if the Spurs had any faith in this guy at all, they wouldn't have given him a run in that situation.

A guy I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they signed is Novak. Cheap, young, good three-point shooter and would provide more depth and length at SF as well as a stretch four.

I would prefer Novak to Bonner coming back.

As far as the Butler's and Jones' of the world, I think they'll steer clear of them now that they have Anderson. Had they drafted Williams, then I think it would be a different story.

I just don't believe Gee and Hairston are good enough. The Spurs are going to need an athletic, defensive player with a little size who can put the ball on the floor AND hit some jumpers. I don't see how they get around that issue when they play big, athletic teams.

TD 21
06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't get the feeling the Spurs are sold on Hairston. The dude sat in IR for the playoffs in favor of three players with injuries who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I cannot fathom how if the Spurs had any faith in this guy at all, they wouldn't have given him a run in that situation.

I would prefer Novak to Bonner coming back.

I just don't believe Gee and Hairston are good enough. The Spurs are going to need an athletic, defensive player with a little size who can put the ball on the floor AND hit some jumpers. I don't see how they get around that issue when they play big, athletic teams.

Maybe they're not entirely sold, but I do believe they're ready to give him a legit opportunity to crack the rotation. They've spent two years developing him after he played four years in college. A prospect is only a prospect so long, at some point you have to find out what you have and you can only do that by giving them an opportunity.

Him sitting in the playoffs I think was more about the fact that he got injured in the last game of the season, Hill started the playoffs hobbled and Temple finished the season playing well, so it made sense to have another ball handler available. Then as the playoffs went on, Pop probably figured there was no point in changing because neither was going to play anyway.

Hairston/Gee may not be good enough, but it's time to find out whether they are or not. If neither can cut it, then it's best to find out early in the season so that they know what they need going into the trade deadline.

erikuff
06-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Any thoughts on Ronnie Brewer?

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/ronnie_brewer_09.jpg

Bruno
06-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Any thoughts on Ronnie Brewer?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150971

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Joel anthony of heat is a FA now....he is an undersized shot blocker, good defender....what about him

jesterbobman
06-28-2010, 03:38 AM
I think either Butler or Jones would be good options as back up SF's that know their role, and will probably be gettable for the LLE and the fact that there is a defined role for them on a good team that fits their abilities.
Outlaw would be great, but he'll get more money from someone, and probably more minutes, so I doubt he'll be interested in a LLE offer to be a backup SF.

I'd say that in addition to the backup SF spot, We should also look for a #3 PG(May or may not be Temple, He was decent last year) and another big of some description, probably to fill the Bonner role as shooting big.

Then, parts of the Hairston-Gee-Richards-Ian-Jerrels-Temple Group as the inactives.(I'd guess Temple Richards Gee are kept)

ace3g
06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Bosh Officially Declines Player Option

Chris Bosh has officially declined his player option for the 2010-11 season, according to a source.

The decision to not exercise his player option was a mere formality and something decided months ago, as it was for many of the other 2010 free agents.

Bosh held a player option worth $17.149 million with the Raptors, but the deadline for him to exercise the option passed a few days before the NBA Draft.

The deadline for LeBron James and Chris Bosh to exercise their player options for 10-11 isn't until June 30th.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67515/20100628/bosh_officially_declines_player_option/#ixzz0sAev7lfL

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Bosh Officially Declines Player Option

Chris Bosh has officially declined his player option for the 2010-11 season, according to a source.

The decision to not exercise his player option was a mere formality and something decided months ago, as it was for many of the other 2010 free agents.

Bosh held a player option worth $17.149 million with the Raptors, but the deadline for him to exercise the option passed a few days before the NBA Draft.

The deadline for LeBron James and Chris Bosh to exercise their player options for 10-11 isn't until June 30th.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67515/20100628/bosh_officially_declines_player_option/#ixzz0sAev7lfL

pardon my ignorance...declining player option...what does it mean

ace3g
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
He had a player option worth 17.149 million dollars for next season, which means if he hadn't declined it, he would have played for the Raptors for 1 more season.

He is now officially a Free Agent this summer.

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 03:14 PM
He had a player option worth 17.149 million dollars for next season, which means if he hadn't declined it, he would have played for the Raptors for 1 more season.

He is now officially a Free Agent this summer.

thanx

ace3g
06-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Jazz Extend Qualifying Offer To Matthews, Fesenko

Utah Jazz general manager Kevin O’Connor announced today that the team has tendered qualifying offers to center Kyrylo Fesenko and guard Wesley Matthews. Per team policy, financial terms were not released. In accordance with the league’s collective bargaining agreement, in order for a team to retain its right of first refusal with respect to a restricted free agent, the team must tender the player a qualifying offer by June 30. A restricted free agent may sign an offer sheet with any team, but is subject to a right of first refusal with the team for which the player last played.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67536/20100629/jazz_extend_qualifying_offer_to_matthews_fesenko/##ixzz0sDxTj08N

Bruno
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
My personal breakdown of what Spurs should do for the backup SF spot. The ideal player woudl be long, able to shoot and defend. I assume Splitter sign a deal with a starting salary of at least $4M and Spurs only have $2M to offer for this spot with the LLE or the rest of the MLE.

Category 1: interesting players but who have a good chance of getting more than $2M:
- Mike Miller
- Josh Howard
- Kyle Korver
- Travis Outlaw
- Rasual Butler

Category 2: realistic optiosn that should eb Spurs main targets:
- Dorell Wright
- James Jones
- Ryan Gomes
- Michael Finley (just kidding)

Category 3: Fallback plans if Spurs can't get a player of the first two categories:
- Matt Barnes
- Quentin Richardson
- Jarvis Hayes

benefactor
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Finley? You're better than that, Bruno.

TimmehC
06-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Finley? You're better than that, Bruno.

Highlight, and all shall be revelaed.

tp2021
06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
:lol

pad300
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Bargain Bin FA's according to Knickerblogger

http://www.knickerblogger.net/3936/free-agent-bargain-bin.html

#2 Craig Smith
#3 Ian Mahinmi
#4 Shaun Livingston
#5 Dorell Wright
#6 Ben Wallace

I'd note that I would put 3, 4, and 5 on the Spurs list...

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I would definitely bump Q Rich up into that second group. Also, he is an RFA, but how much do you think it would take to get Morrow?

mountainballer
06-30-2010, 03:08 AM
could Bobby Simmons become a fall back plan? any informations about his health status?
and is Pavlovic totally out of consideration?

(both players are of course only minimum salary options, not LLE)

HankChinaski
06-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Why so much insist-ency with resigning Mahinmi?

He isn't going to resign unless we get screwed with Splitter not coming and even then Blair, Dice, Duncan and Ian playing scrub minutes again isn't going to look enjoyable for him for ANOTHER SEASON. I like that man's physical skill sets. But he just looked so out of place with either of our starting bigs at anytime last season. Sure he looks great on the defensive end attempting to alter shots and going for boards on the glass but overall he was a clog on offense and was foul machine on D. He just never seemed to show any further improvement in those areas. People see him play what looks to be a great game against a extremely sub par team and people begin chanting him to be dusted off and thrown out on the floor.

I get just as frustrated like anyone else when it comes to Pop and his rotation experiments but I'm not sitting there at the practice facility or in the locker room so I'm going to have to go with Pop and Crew and believe they didn't play him because they couldn't TRUST him to be consist with minutes on the court.

Face It. That ship sailed after seeing so much pine throughout the season.

With the OTHER prospects in F.A. previous threads and post I tend to agree with the common majority in regards to Outlaw, Barnes, Jones, Wright, Gomes.

Any of those would be a nice pick up and would help improve our bench and versatility and playing multiple defensive positions against teams.

HankChinaski
06-30-2010, 04:27 AM
If we sign splitter during Free Agency

I expect the spurs to resign Bonner. And that would be a solid pickup in my opinion.

As him as your 5th big rotating up and down the rotation depending on teams and situations it helps out the team in various ways and also places him back into a better position of coming off the bench for a few minutes to stretch and hustle on the floor.

If we don't get Splitter, it isn't the end of this coming season. After this forum goes apeshit with temper tantrums with threads and post, the spurs will be looking at what other options are available whether it would be trading his rights over along with something packaged with his rights to bring a more serviceable big along Timmy. I honestly believe they have plans for this situation this summer if it comes to this.

As much as I won't to see Duncan get his 5th ring, the Spurs are going to look to have something to build with on forward. And the picking a contract riddled risk like a player such as splitter in future drafts will be a thing in the past for this organization. Fans have such lofty and often fairy tale expectations for this small market city.

Bruno
06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
could Bobby Simmons become a fall back plan? any informations about his health status?
and is Pavlovic totally out of consideration?

(both players are of course only minimum salary options, not LLE)

I agree with you on Simmons (if he is healthy as you said) but not on Pavlovic.
I know you like him but he has been horrible for 3 years. I rather bring back Bogans than sign Pavlovic

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm completely against Bobby Simmons, he's been horrible since his breakout season..

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm starting to think that the top target should be Rasual Butler. The other guys in the tier Bruno mentioned are definitely getting more than the LLE (except maybe Howard, but fuck him), but I think Butler can be persuaded to take the LLE with the Spurs. If not Butler, then either James Jones or Dorell Wright.

mountainballer
06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with you on Simmons (if he is healthy as you said) but not on Pavlovic.
I know you like him but he has been horrible for 3 years. I rather bring back Bogans than sign Pavlovic

I like him as the player he could be. I can't stand him as what he showed the last seasons. can't tell if he could be put back on track.

Bruno
06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
8 hours left before the start of FA.

yavozerb
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
8 hours left before the start of FA.

I predict the spurs will get things started at 12:01 AM by signing matt bonner..:lol, then let the dominoes begin to fall

ace3g
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Grizzlies Extend Qualifying Offer To Rudy Gay

The Grizzlies have extended the qualifying offer to Rudy Gay, making him a restricted free agent.

If Gay does not sign a contract, he will receive a $4,422,784 contract with the Grizzlies. He also would be able to veto any trade the Grizzlies agreed upon involving him.

Few players have played under the qualifying offer in recent years, with Ben Gordon being a notable exception.

Gay is expected to begin exploring his options in free agency after several of the more prominent players have signed.

Minnesota will be a team targeting him from the outset of free agency, with the Nets and Clippers also expected to be in contention.

As a restricted free agent, the Grizzlies have the right to match any offer sheet Gay might sign.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67631/20100630/grizzlies_extend_qualifying_offer_to_rudy_gay/#ixzz0sNFscoDH

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2010, 05:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq0S5xhvd1_MeGkP6R6AI2y8vLYF?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz063010
Free-agent buzz: Johnson wants to stay
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 11 minutes ago

Email Print The longer the weeks before free agency dragged out, sources say it’s become clearer to guard Joe Johnson(notes) that he truly wants to stay with the Atlanta Hawks.

Will the Hawks give Johnson a $119 million max contract over six years, or come close to it? It’s doubtful they will go the distance with a max offer, but that sixth guaranteed season is likely to be a difference-maker in keeping Johnson. He’ll meet with the New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls on Thursday, but sources insist those major markets don’t hold much of an appeal to him.

As Yahoo! Sports reported on Monday, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is determined to explore a possible sign-and-trade to acquire Johnson. The Mavericks would be an appealing destination to Johnson, who is a native of Arkansas. Johnson also would face far less pressure fitting into a talent-laden Mavericks team than he would with New York or Chicago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raptors look at sign-and-trade options

The Toronto Raptors have talked to six to eight teams willing to do sign-and-trades for Chris Bosh(notes), but front office sources say general manager Bryan Colangelo has ruled out bringing back the expensive contract of Bulls forward Luol Deng(notes).

Deng has four years and nearly $50 million left on his contract, and the Bulls have been dangling him as part of sign-and-trade possibilities involving Bosh, LeBron James(notes) and Joe Johnson.

Colangelo is working on possible deals, but Bosh ultimately has to want to go to the teams. Besides Chicago, Miami, New York and New Jersey, the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks are determined suitors for Bosh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lakers eye Blake

The Los Angeles Lakers are smitten with signing free-agent point guard Steve Blake(notes), but sources believe Blake would have to take less money than the Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic and New York Knicks could be willing to offer.

Blake finished the season with the Clippers, and sources say he’s intrigued with the idea of joining the defending champion Lakers. Still, Blake is a veteran guard whom several teams value, and he could walk away with a multiyear deal totaling around $20 million-$25 million.

Celtics looking for center

Besides Brad Miller(notes), Boston has interest in acquiring Dallas center Erick Damper, especially with Kendrick Perkins(notes) sidelined six to seven months. Dampier’s $13 million salary for next season is not guaranteed, meaning the Mavericks can waive him without cost and allow him to become a free agent.

ohmwrecker
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
I predict the spurs will get things started at 12:01 AM by signing matt bonner..:lol, then let the dominoes begin to fall

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

ohmwrecker
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Sorry if this was posted already . . .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/413624-nba-free-agency-2010-ten-targets-for-the-san-antonio-spurs

ace3g
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
WojYahooNBA

Mike Miller is turning into hot property, league executives say. He can expect offers starting north of mid-level exception in 1st year.

xmas1997
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

Yeah, the whole world is waiting to see what Bonner is going to do!
James, Wade, and Bosh have all stated that they will make their decisions based on what and where BONNER decides.
He will make his decision in a two hour series of telecasts broadcast live around the world.
James is reported to have said, "I don't have any idea what Bonner is going to do, but I wish he would hurry up and decide. It will influence where I will go because no one is doing anything until then!"
;):hat

leslie chow
07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
According to draft express, this player is compared to Bruce Bowen.

Solid as a rock would be the best way to describe the best perimeter defender in the 2006 draft. Jones wasn’t the flashiest player in Orlando, but he got the job done for his team every single time he stepped out on the floor by doing all the little things. Using his terrific height (6-7) and length (6-9.5), Jones shut down every single player he was asked to match up against, doing a fantastic job not only staying in front of his man, but also intimidating him enough with his quick hands and excellent strength and hustle to force him to give up the ball with his sheer peskiness. When given the opportunity, Jones looked quite content going down to the post to help out on the glass or even rotate over for a blocked shot on a smaller player.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bobby-Jones-351/#ixzz0uivsXro2
http://www.draftexpress.com

TheProfessor
07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Didn't want to start a thread about him until the Thunder actually waive him, but how do people feel about Kyle Weaver? He's odd man out in Oklahoma City.

mountainballer
07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Didn't want to start a thread about him until the Thunder actually waive him, but how do people feel about Kyle Weaver? He's odd man out in Oklahoma City.

reportedly he has an offer from Maccabi.

OKC to waive G-F Kyle Weaver before Aug. 1 to keep from guaranteeing contract for next season, source tells Y! Maccabi already offered deal.
http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/19691383425

I like him, but I fear his really bad shooting will never allow him to become a legit NBA player. (at least not more than a 3rd stringer). and considering that whoever he can defend well, Hill could defend either, his major quality is not a real need for the Spurs. (for the bigger SGs he isn't strong enough anyhow, so the size advantage he has over Hill doesn't make a difference there)

admiralsnackbar
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
According to draft express, this player is compared to Bruce Bowen.

Solid as a rock would be the best way to describe the best perimeter defender in the 2006 draft. Jones wasn’t the flashiest player in Orlando, but he got the job done for his team every single time he stepped out on the floor by doing all the little things. Using his terrific height (6-7) and length (6-9.5), Jones shut down every single player he was asked to match up against, doing a fantastic job not only staying in front of his man, but also intimidating him enough with his quick hands and excellent strength and hustle to force him to give up the ball with his sheer peskiness. When given the opportunity, Jones looked quite content going down to the post to help out on the glass or even rotate over for a blocked shot on a smaller player.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bobby-Jones-351/#ixzz0uivsXro2
http://www.draftexpress.com

Nice find, Leslie. Anybody know about what kinds of offers he's receiving in Italy, or whether he's still on the market at all?

mountainballer
07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Bobby Jones signed in Italy!

mountainballer
07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
von Wafer to the Celtics.

The Boston Celtics have signed Von Wafer to a one-year minimum deal, according to sources close to the situation.
http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/19857482405

admiralsnackbar
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
von Wafer to the Celtics.

Damn but that guy gets around... what is it, now? 5 teams in 5 years?

FeZZy
08-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Any answer on that back up 3?

Penya
10-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Pete Mickeal will be FA next summer and he's already said that he would try to get a NBA contract. What do you guys think about him?

mountainballer
10-08-2010, 04:21 AM
he will be 33 next summer.
and hasn't yet played a single NBA game. (did he? not 100% sure)
so no, I don't think he is an option.
if he had tried 3 or 4 years ago, he might have had the chance for a late NBA career. (like Parker for example)
he had a great career in Europe, so I think he finally will play one or two more seasons in Europe. especially when there might be a lock out.
(I agree that he would have been a very interesting player for the Spurs at some point. if Spurs bring him in instead of Ime Udoka in 2007 for example)