PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: The search for No. 13

duncan228
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM
The search for No. 13 (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/03/the-search-for.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Michael Finley is gone, and the Spurs' search for his roster replacement is on. Finley's departure -- he was bought out of his contract Monday, at his request -- leaves the Spurs with 12 players on their roster.

They will have two weeks to sign a free agent in order to bring that number up to the league-minimum 13.

Anyone hoping for the Spurs' 13th roster member to come riding in on a white horse to save the season should prepare to be sorely disappointed.

The handful of recently bought-out NBA veterans is a pupu platter of players unlikely to help. Zydrunas Ilgauskas is the only one still capable of contributing to a contender -- and all of the NBA is fairly certain he's headed back to Cleveland after the league-mandated 30-day vacation.

Mark Blount? Mike James? Larry Hughes? The Spurs are unlikely to pursue any of them.

So who gets the 13th spot? For the answer, look to Austin. The most likely scenario has the Spurs signing someone out of the Development League, just to satisfy the NBA's roster requirement, and leaving him there.

Put another way: There is a good chance whoever the Spurs wind up signing won't even make it to San Antonio.

Some candidates: Curtis Jerrells was in training camp with the Spurs; Alonzo Gee played with the Spurs' summer league entry; Dwyane Jones is another former Spurs training camper who has garnered a bit of buzz throughout the NBA of late.

As for Finley and his next NBA team, reports around the league have indicated that the Lakers and Celtics have some interest, while Utah coach Jerry Sloan told reporters there he wouldn't rule out the Jazz as a possible landing spot.

A savvy veteran and consummate pro, Finley is Sloan's kind of player. However, if playing time is really what Finley is after, Utah might not be the right fit. The Jazz traded Ronnie Brewer to Memphis at the trade deadline in part to alleviate a log-jam of perimeter players fighting for minutes.

BillMc
03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I admit I am an idiot but what happened to Williams? He played well and almost made the roster in camp. Where is he?

Fin can sign with Boston. They want more old guys just like the Spurs.

spurtech09
03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
It would be nice if Ian had some mins.....

Ryvin1
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
hmmm I bet the Toros players will be playing hard tonight to grab that huge pay raise to sit on a roster spot, will be a fun game to watch.

urunobili
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Dwayne Jones plz....

MB20
03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Chip Engelland knows how to shoot, right? :hat

Chomag
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
There are a couple of players on the current roster that Pop wont give minutes too and there is concern over finding a 13th player?

ChumpDumper
03-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Makes sense to give the spot to a Toro and keep him in Austin. Calling up Jones would keep another NBA team or a foreign team from taking him away. Gee is probably closer to being called up than Jerrells right now judging from recent call ups.

PDXSpursFan
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I want Blount. No much IQ, but he's still an experienced athletic 7-footer.

Libri
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
They'll just throw a dart and see on what Toro it lands.

peskypesky
03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
DRob!!

spurtech09
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Blount wouldn't hurt.....pop is not going to use ian so might as well add another big

Drachen
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I will do it. I just bought 2 suits last week, so I have all of the qualifications.

ManuTastic
03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I, also, have a suit and am willing to wear it to Spurs games. Plz call me.

easy7
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I am also in like sin to ride the pine for the minimum.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't have a suit, but I promise to use some of my contract money to purchase one before coming to the arena on game night. Pst for contact info.

baseline bum
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Finley replacement? I guess they could go sign Iverson if they need another no-D playing shot chucker who'll whine about playing time.

SenorSpur
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
This.

Still I am disapointed. I thought this would be about Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points 48 years ago today.

Congrats to your boy on the anniversary of that stunning, record-setting acconmplishment 48 years ago.

I remember reading a basketball digest as a grade-school kid. Inside it, they reprinted the box score of that game. I thought it was a mistake. To a kid, it's hard to fathom the possibility of a player scoring that many points in a single game. Wilt was larger than life to me then - and now.

scottspurs
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
My vote goes to Dwayne Jones.

duncan228
03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
...I thought this would be about Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points 48 years ago today.

Congrats to your boy on the anniversary of that stunning, record-setting acconmplishment 48 years ago.

I remember reading a basketball digest as a grade-school kid. Inside it, they reprinted the box score of that game. I thought it was a mistake. To a kid, it's hard to fathom the possibility of a player scoring that many points in a single game. Wilt was larger than life to me then - and now.

SI's reflections.

SI.com Roundtable: Reliving Wilt's feats

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/03/02/roundtable.wilt/index.html

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147935

DPG21920
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Good. There is no one they could get that I would want to push Ian or Malik out of the active lineup.

blkroadrunners
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Eww, Blount...RJ's a better rebounder than that cat.

dbestpro
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Finley replacement? I guess they could go sign Iverson if they need another no-D playing shot chucker who'll whine about playing time.

Iveron did not get released until Tuesday. He needed to be released on Monday to be eligible for the playoffs.

spursbird
03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Luke Bonner!

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Why wait until 2016? The Spurs should got out and get Kyle Gordon. Pop could play him at PF

Ditty
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
dwayne jones sucks

i wouldnt mind bringing marcus williams back or mike james wouldnt be bad i always like that guy

spursbird
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
dwayne jones sucks

i wouldnt mind bringing marcus williams back or mike james wouldnt be bad i always like that guy
So averaging 15+ rebs and 17 pts sucks? Yep, Duncan sucks.

Ditty
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
So averaging 15+ rebs and 17 pts sucks? Yep, Duncan sucks.

how bout get pops mensah-bonsu also he averaged the same numbers as dwayne jones looked how that turned :lol

ChumpDumper
03-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Luke Bonner!Shooting 1.000 from the arc!

TheSullyMonster
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
DRob!!
I'm still convinced he could be a decent rotation player.

timtonymanu
03-03-2010, 03:08 AM
i say stick with the 12.

imo all the waived players suck except Big Z but we know he's going back to Cleveland.

Blount is horrible. Hughes is hurt. James ... yeah.

Ditty
03-03-2010, 03:32 AM
i say stick with the 12.

imo all the waived players suck except Big Z but we know he's going back to Cleveland.

Blount is horrible. Hughes is hurt. James ... yeah.

i believe we have to carry 13 players

duhoh
03-03-2010, 03:58 AM
bring splitter!

just kidding.

venitian navigator
03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
imho our search should be for n. 13, 14 and 15...all at the minimum.
Three more guys are a necessary insurance during play off time...

Bruno
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
It would never happen but it would be awesome if Spurs sign Bowen to a 10 days contract and let him start and play a couple of minutes in a home game. After all he has done for the franchise, he deserves that type of honor.

And I know it wouldn't help at all Spurs on the court but there isn't a single player available able to help Spurs on the court. Since Spurs had to sign someone, why not Bruce?

The Truth #6
03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
It would never happen but it would be awesome if Spurs sign Bowen to a 10 days contract and let him start and play a couple of minutes in a home game. After all he has done for the franchise, he deserves that type of honor.

And I know it wouldn't help at all Spurs on the court but there isn't a single player available able to help Spurs on the court. Since Spurs had to sign someone, why not Bruce?

Fans would love it. I'm sure Holt wouldn't mind selling extra tickets. Not sure if Pop would go for it.

exstatic
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
The answer to player #13 can be found in a joke.

What kind of tires does Detroit put on new cars?
Doesn't matter as long as they are black, round, and cheap, and they're not locked into black or round.

The Spurs will sign the absolute cheapest d-leaguer they can in order to meet the roster requirements. That actually rules out someone like Marcus Williams. Since he's been to "the show" a couple of times already, his contract would be considerably more expensive at his level of experience minimum salary rung, like 800K as opposed to 450K.

SpurNation
03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Would any contract at this juncture be pro-rated according to the amount of games the player would be listed as on the team? Or does that player get the full amount of the contract if and when they would be called up?

Agloco
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Still I am disapointed. I thought this would be about Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points 48 years ago today.

:lol

Most people reading this probably still have no clue as to what you're hinting at.

Agloco
03-03-2010, 09:39 AM

:tu

I'm Agloco, and I approve this message.

Supergirl
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Fin is gonna be in for disappointment. None of the playoff teams have a need for an aging veteran who wants minutes. The C's need depth help, but are too old already. Lakers, Jazz, and Mavs don't really have playing time to offer him. Maybe the Suns or the Blazers, if they wanted to take him on, since they are both young teams who aren't very deep. But the Suns want to run and Fin can't run anymore. Blazers would probably be the best bet at this point.

But his best opportunity for playing time is to go to a young rebuilding team, like Milwaukee or Minnesota. But then he's not gonna be in the playoffs.

Or perhaps he should just retire and look for some management jobs.