PDA

View Full Version : Need some Vista help

z0sa
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Apparently, my desktop was infected by a virus. I installed Norton and it erased all threats, but I can't do a system restore because "System restore has been turned off by group policy." Of course I tried running everything as an administrator.

I've already spent quite some time googling. I can't bring up regedit or regedt32 without getting the same error, can't find gpedit.msc, and when I tried renaming regedit to avoid the error it said I didn't have permission to that! I don't have any administration controls and they aren't reactivated even though the virus is gone. I can't even access the control panel - the window appears with nothing inside of it, then disappears after a moment.

As for gpedit.msc, I can download files that correspond, but need regedit to change them..

WTF? Can anyone help?

PM5K
03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Mouse says you should format.

Chingo Bling
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Chit vato, I'll help jou out with jour Vista. Yust get me un case of beer and es todo.

z0sa
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Mouse says you should format.

Is there any other way besides a format? All I need to do is access system restore. I hate my life

CubanMustGo
03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm not a vista expert but see this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html

If you are currently having problems starting Windows Vista, you can use System Restore from the Windows Recovery Environment. Instructions on how to do this can be found in this tutorial: Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html).

See if you can start WRE and that might let you get around the problem you're seeing.

gollum
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Have you tried to create a new user make sure you give it administrator powers and then log on as the new user and then .................

For standalone Windows Vista systems, use these steps:
Using the Group Policy Editor
If your edition of Windows Vista includes the Group Policy Editor snap-in (gpedit.msc), follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press ENTER
2. Go to the following branch:
Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | System Restore 3. Double-click Turn off Configuration and set it to Not configured.
Note: If the above setting is already set to Not configured, set it to Enabled and click Apply. Then revert back the setting to Not configured, and click Apply, OK.
4. Exit the Group Policy Editor.
Using the Registry Editor
1. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore 3. In the right-pane, delete the value named DisableConfig
4. Exit the Registry Editor.

treat your PC right get rid of Norton, your Pc is prescioussssssss to you!

z0sa
03-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Problem resolved. Thanks for the tips guys. I found an alternate way to system restore and everything is back to normal.

Man I fuckin hate viruses...

leemajors
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
malwarebytes usually cleans everything I have seen. I have it installed on a flash drive.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Have you tried to create a new user make sure you give it administrator powers and then log on as the new user and then .................

For standalone Windows Vista systems, use these steps:
Using the Group Policy Editor
If your edition of Windows Vista includes the Group Policy Editor snap-in (gpedit.msc), follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press ENTER
2. Go to the following branch:
Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | System Restore 3. Double-click Turn off Configuration and set it to Not configured.
Note: If the above setting is already set to Not configured, set it to Enabled and click Apply. Then revert back the setting to Not configured, and click Apply, OK.
4. Exit the Group Policy Editor.
Using the Registry Editor
1. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore 3. In the right-pane, delete the value named DisableConfig
4. Exit the Registry Editor.

treat your PC right get rid of Norton, your Pc is prescioussssssss to you!

yo gollum, I didnt know middle earth had computers dawg

jacobdrj
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Get rid of Norton, McAfee, and any other antivirus/antimalware.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials. It works. It is free.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Cry Havoc
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Your first step wrong was using Norton.

It's the worst antivirus on the planet.

symple19
03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/ if it's attacking your processes, try the Rkill tool at the link provided and then you should be able to run Malwarebytes which will hopefully get rid of it

Cubanmustgo was spot on in directing you to bleepingcomputer, they are always helpful in these matters

mouse
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Your first step wrong was using Norton.

It's the worst antivirus on the planet.

^ This man knows his shit! :lmao

I must have fixed at least 100 laptops that had Norton or McAfee

all you need is Avast,CCleaner, and Spy terminator or SpyBot

The only start ups you need is your wireless service and you virus protection.

turn off all the bullshit like Yahoo messenger.Java updater,and the rest.

download Avast and do a "BOOT UP" scan and see what it finds.

good luck getting rid of Norton you will have a better chance getting rid of herpes.

If you can make it to the east side of town I will fix it for free.

jacobdrj
03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
^ This man knows his shit! :lmao

I must have fixed at least 100 laptops that had Norton or McAfee

all you need is Avast,CCleaner, and Spy terminator or SpyBot

The only start ups you need is your wireless service and you virus protection.

turn off all the bullshit like Yahoo messenger.Java updater,and the rest.

download Avast and do a "BOOT UP" scan and see what it finds.

good luck getting rid of Norton you will have a better chance getting rid of herpes.

If you can make it to the east side of town I will fix it for free.
In the past, I would agree with you. But Avast is often ineffective, as is Malwarebytes. I am telling you, MSE is the best anti-virus/anti-malware out there. It is the best Microsoft product nobody knows about. And it doesn't take up hardly any system resources. It has literally replaced every other antivirus/antispyware stuff on all my clients' computers.

sabar
03-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Norton is actually one of the best antivirus products out there. It used to have a huge footprint on resource usage a few years back, but its pretty slick now.

However, with that said, a paid subscription is just silly when you can get other products for free. Plus cracking norton is a pain with trial resets.

Avast consistently rates very high on scan times, low on system impact, and very high on threat detection. AVG is alright at all of them, but it conflicts with a lot of progs and nags you to buy up. There's a bunch of other products too, but a lot of them are turning into nagware or keep adding features that just slow everything down.

I use MSE these days, mostly because it is extremely minimalistic and uses like no resources. I rarely get infected with anything (not a single virus in 4-5 years) so I don't really care about comprehensive coverage.

I am telling you, MSE is the best anti-virus/anti-malware out there. It is the best Microsoft product nobody knows about. And it doesn't take up hardly any system resources. It has literally replaced every other antivirus/antispyware stuff on all my clients' computers.

I love MSE because it's free, it stays out of the way, doesnt affect PC speed, and you get MS support. The trade-off is a lower detection percentage than the alternatives, but I still think it is the best all-around deal. If you put AVG or Avast or something on a client then they get no customer support (other than you) plus annoying messages to upgrade and register. MSE is fire and forget.

Brandon Fraser
03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
In the past, I would agree with you. But Avast is often ineffective, as is Malwarebytes. I am telling you, MSE is the best anti-virus/anti-malware out there. It is the best Microsoft product nobody knows about. And it doesn't take up hardly any system resources. It has literally replaced every other antivirus/antispyware stuff on all my clients' computers.

Thanks for that info! :tu

mouse
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM

You make a good point, avast finds stuff Norton didn't find and AVG finds stuff Avast didn't find and Spy bot finds stuff that Malwarebytes didn't find.

But i have yet to work on a PC with Avast. almost all the locked browsers and page errors and freezes the people have Norton.

look what others are saying.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=Norton+sucks&btnG=Google+Search

koriwhat
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Norton is actually one of the best antivirus products out there.

bs! norton is garbage plain and simple.

Bender
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I bought a laptop that came with vista. after a while, I installed ubuntu on it. Don't miss vista at all, and no probs ever since ubuntu.

MavTalker
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
bs! Norton is garbage plain and simple.

+1

U.S.A.F.
03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Norton is actually one of the best antivirus products out there. It used to have a huge footprint on resource usage a few years back, but its pretty slick now.

However, with that said, a paid subscription is just silly when you can get other products for free. Plus cracking norton is a pain with trial resets.

Avast consistently rates very high on scan times, low on system impact, and very high on threat detection. AVG is alright at all of them, but it conflicts with a lot of progs and nags you to buy up. There's a bunch of other products too, but a lot of them are turning into nagware or keep adding features that just slow everything down.

I use MSE these days, mostly because it is extremely minimalistic and uses like no resources. I rarely get infected with anything (not a single virus in 4-5 years) so I don't really care about comprehensive coverage.

I love MSE because it's free, it stays out of the way, doesnt affect PC speed, and you get MS support. The trade-off is a lower detection percentage than the alternatives, but I still think it is the best all-around deal. If you put AVG or Avast or something on a client then they get no customer support (other than you) plus annoying messages to upgrade and register. MSE is fire and forget.

Do you do any side work on PC's?

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2010, 11:01 PM
lol format << i hate fkn cunts who dont know how to fix a comp but go with the format

pissed me off when i had to fix my cousins comp cause the technician formatted the laptop which i hadnt backup the O/S and registered the key, had to look for all these stupid drivers...

mouse
03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
You sound like fun guy to hang out with, you want any of your lost data back?

popshark86
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
do yourself a favor and get linux (ubuntu) if you can't afford windows 7:toast