PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Chemistry Issues

RodNIc91
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I dont know if this has been said yet but anyway, some thoughts on the chemistry. When Pop and Timmy acknowledged that the team not 'geling' and it taking more time than expected, obviously something was happening. Now that time has passed I think I've seen from where they have come:

Tony and his 'whining' about injuries. In the beginning the only real problem was that he was not being himself. His lack of explosiveness due to several injuries has limited himseld and Pop appearantly not recognizing it and giving him more resting time propably made him mad. We even were hit with a trade rumour of him for Chris Paul (although it came from hoopsworld). Now he is actually getting more rest and IMO he is seen more comfortable.

Marcus Haislip. When we signed this guy in the summer I think both the organization and him were excited because it was thought that he could possibily contribute enough to the team. As many of us expected, he didn't flourish enough in limited time (summer league and training camp) and so, him being a new guy had to sit on the bench. WHen I heard that he requested a buyout so that he could play with Olympiakos (I think) it was obvious that he thought high enough of himself to get important playing time.

Ian. This guy simply has been unlucky. The office obviously thought high of him and invested money on him developing closely on Austin and then with the Spurs. His time with San Antonio has been plagued with injuries and in the worst time. Given he is still so raw, he has shown flashes but has been inconsisten. We certainly don't know why Pop didn't play him more in the initial games, for instance, and why he hasn't tried him more. IIRC Theo referred to him as very talented, still we have sticked to Small ball lineups for almost two years. When we really got to saw him (It was NJ but still) we saw what we lacked: athleticism and shot blocking, with a more polished offensive game than, say, Francisco Elson. In a press conference after the game he said he hoped that wouldn't be his last time on the floor, but inevitably it was. I think him referring to Tony as a person who has really helped him to stay 'positive' is a sign that he was uncofortable with how his situation has been handled, and maybe he didnt said it literay but something obviusly had to be bugging him.

Roger Mason. The guy spoked through his agent that he wanted more playing time. When I read this I was out of my chair. I can't recall the last time that a Spur requested out, at least publicly. The spurs always handle themselves and when this was mentioned everything was more clear. To a lesser degree I noted his swaggery attitude when he hit the game-winning shot against LA last year, when he stuck his tongue out. This is stupid but when he did I noticed he was a showoff which is a potentially problematic attitude.

George Hill. If I fell off the chair when I heard the Mason request, my heart almost stopped beating when it his nude pictures were exposed. Of all, this is the most insignificant of all issues, but I bet this influenced to some degree the team, as everyone thought of him an immaculate individual.

Michael Finley. Read 'Second Thought on Michael Finley's Exit by Timvp'

Richard Jefferson. Its not a problem shown by himself, but rather everyone being so dissapointed with his performance all season long. I think that the wings(Mason, Finley) were influenced on thinking to deserve more PT given he (and bogans) was underachieving and expecting Pop would act as normally and giving PT to whom did the job the best. Obviously they haven't realized that apart from him there is no other real small forward.

As I have realized, none thought that the spurs' problem were to be plagued by chemistry issues, but now that time has gone we have seen that it was the real problem. Added to the trade deadline in which rumors flied everywhere, I think that more or less 6 or 7 players had their heads elsewhere which ultimately hurt their camraderie both on and off the court. As we have seen from the past 4 or 5 games, things are starting to turn out OK, and I think that we are reaching a turning point. Don't count the spurs out yet.

:flag:GO SPURS GO!!:flag:

wildbill2u
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
If consistency was the hallmark of our better teams, then Pop has been the instigator of inconistency with his 21 starting lineups since the beginning of the year.

Old School 44
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Another thing that contributes to poor chemistry is having someone playing in front of you in the rotation that you think you are better than.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the two players complaining about PT were Finley and Mason? IMO, it's not about Finley & Mason wanting more time in general, it's about Finley and Mason wanting more time than Bogans. Like I wrote in another post, it's a lot easier to accept if the guy in front of you is clearly better. If they are not and they are clearly struggling, it makes you wonder about your coach's decision to continually play them more minutes.

Sean Cagney
03-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Another thing that contributes to poor chemistry is having someone playing in front of you in the rotation that you think you are better than.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the two players complaining about PT were Finley and Mason? IMO, it's not about Finley & Mason wanting more time in general, it's about Finley and Mason wanting more time than Bogans. Like I wrote in another post, it's a lot easier to accept if the guy in front of you is clearly better. If they are not and they are clearly struggling, it makes you wonder about your coach's decision to continually play them more minutes.

I DO NOT GET WHY POPS STILL PLAYS BOGANS ALOT nor ever will! He is a stiff IMO, nothing to start nor play more than 10 mins a game off the bench! I still am puzzled there! He is not near Bowen on D in his prime here nor can hit that corner three like him at over 40%!!! He bring notta yet still starts and does shyt every game! He bring nothing to this team.

Old School 44
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I DO NOT GET WHY POPS STILL PLAYS BOGANS ALOT nor ever will! He is a stiff IMO, nothing to start nor play more than 10 mins a game off the bench! I still am puzzled there! He is not near Bowen on D in his prime here nor can hit that corner three like him at over 40%!!! He bring notta yet still starts and does shyt every game! He bring nothing to this team.

It's all on Pop as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Bogans at all. If most on this board have this opinion, I can only imagine what players behind him in the rotation think. Finley confided in Tony, do think he could have confided in Mason or others?

Here's some possible dialog between Finley and Mason.

Finley: "Damn another DNP-coaches decision, is Keith that much better than me?"
Mason: "Yeah, I know, I got a whole 3 minutes. Can't do many hip slaps in 3 minutes."

McDyess enters the room over hearing some of the conversation.

Dice: (laughing) You guys complaining about getting playing time?
Just suck it up and play better, you'll get some PT if you deserve it. (more laughing)
Finley: Stop laughing, I just heard Bonner's starting in place of you in the next game.
Dice: Damn, now I'm pissed!

nkdlunch
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
compared to the Shaq Kobe feuds, these dramas are childs play. This is no excuse to the underachieving season.

Chomag
03-03-2010, 10:21 AM

This is what it's starting to look like to me more and more. However it's just my own observation. If we as fans can see this and hate it, I wonder how the players that are behind him feel.

Chomag
03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
It's all on Pop as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Bogans at all. If most on this board have this opinion, I can only imagine what players behind him in the rotation think. Finley confided in Tony, do think he could have confided in Mason or others?

Here's some possible dialog between Finley and Mason.

Finley: "Damn another DNP-coaches decision, is Keith that much better than me?"
Mason: "Yeah, I know, I got a whole 3 minutes. Can't do many hip slaps in 3 minutes."

McDyess enters the room over hearing some of the conversation.

Dice: (laughing) You guys complaining about getting playing time?
Just suck it up and play better, you'll get some PT if you deserve it. (more laughing)
Finley: Stop laughing, I just heard Bonner's starting in place of you in the next game.
Dice: Damn, now I'm pissed!

:lol Funny because it could be true.

Old School 44
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
:lol Funny because it could be true.

Sad to think this could be true. :depressed
But...I still have hope, however slim, for this season. :flag: