PDA

View Full Version : What countries and states have you been to?

Jacob1983
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
This question popped up in my head after I talked to one of my co-workers at work about vacations. This guy told me that he had been to every state except for Hawaii and Alaska. He could have been lying but he seemed pretty genuine when he told me about the places he had been to. 48 states is a lot. I haven't seen anywhere near that many. I haven't even been to the West Coast in my lifetime. I finally saw the East Coast last year when I went to Florida. So how many states have you been to in America? And how many countries have you been to? I guess you can count the ones that you have lived in and/or visited.

Strike
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Been to about half the states on the mainland and also Hawaii. By "been to" I mean passed through many by car on the way to Louisiana, Texas, Tennesee, Virginia and Oklahoma. Also been to Colorado and Illinois. And I've been to Canada (Vancouver, BC) and Mexico (not sure where. I was an infant.)

mookie2001
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh no another how rich are you? thread

Esmegmols going to come in here and tell us all traveling made him smarter than us boys raised on shotguns

SpursWoman
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Texas
California
Florida
New York
Pennsylvania
Nevada
Maryland
Washington DC
Illinois

London, England
Cancun, Mexico
Nairobi, Kenya

The Reckoning
03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
been to all the states in the western US. thats all that matters.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Michigan
Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Pennsylvania
W. Virginia
California
Arizona
Nevada

Iceland
Netherlands
Spain
France
Italy
Germany
Canada
Mexico

baseline bum
03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I haven't been to the NW area of the nation. i.e., the area bordered by Oregon to the south and Wisconsin to the east, but I have been in every other one besides Hawaii. By far California is my favorite state, with Colorado a distant second.

ashbeeigh
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Missouri
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
New Mexico
Arizona

Mexico-to be specific Monterrey.

That's all I've got.

IronMexican
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
California and Nevada.

DPG21920
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
No where near enough. Have not had the time (because of school) or the money to travel as much as I like. But that will change.

I badly want to visit Victoria.

mookie2001
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
You poor bastard

tlongII
03-02-2010, 08:46 PM
West Virginia
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
Ohio
Illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
Alaska
California
Washington
Oregon
Vermont
Idaho
Nevada
Hawaii
Tahiti
England
Japan
China
Canada
Mexico
Australia
Sweden
Netherlands
Argentina
Chile
Uruguay

I think that's it. Could be more though...

tlongII
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I forgot Minnesota and Georgia.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I forgot Florida and Kentucky.

caribbean_spur
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Since I have been in the US I visited 31 States. Also been in France, Belgium, Italy,Andorra, Monaco,Dominican Republic, Canada, Australia, Trinidad, Barbados, St Lucia, Guyana, Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Hoping to visit more.

TheTruth
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Spain, Philippines, Germany, Italy, and Guam.

Cali, DC, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, and sweet Home Texas.

Gotta love being an Air Force kid.

spursncowboys
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, DC, Maryland, Washington, Oregon, Cali,
Mexico, Canada, Iraq, Kuwait, went to the airports of Germany, Ireland, and Iceland.

Duff McCartney
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Louisiana, Georgia, Florida and California.

Germany, Italy, Switzerland.

mojorizen7
03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
AZ
CA
NV
UT
CO
NM
TX
ARK
TENN
OKL
KANSAS
MISSOURI

MEXICO
ENGLAND
FRANCE
Guadalupe,AZ

DPG21920
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
You poor bastard

Do you mean "you poor bastard" as in "awe poor baby" or as in "you have no money"?

Is it a worldly place, Victoria?

Jacob1983
03-02-2010, 10:15 PM
This thread doesn't have anything to do with being rich or being poor. I was just asking where you folks have been. That's all. No need for any type of debate or argument.

boutons_deux
03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Texas Kansas Colorado Massachusetts Connecticut Vermont New Hampshire Missouri Illinois NY NJ Maine FL Tennessee Alabama Georgia Wash St Wash DC PA CA Louisiana NV Hawaii Sweden Norway Denmark Finland Iceland Canada Germany Austria Holland Belgium England Ireland France Monte Carlo Switzerland Spain Italy Greece Mexico Jamaica Bahamas

mookie2001
03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Texas Kansas Colorado Massachusetts Connecticut Vermont New Hampshire Missouri Illinois NY NJ Maine FL Tennessee Alabama Georgia Wash St Wash DC PA CA Louisiana NV Hawaii Sweden Norway Denmark Finland Iceland Canada Germany Austria Holland Belgium England Ireland France Monte Carlo Switzerland Spain Italy Greece Mexico Jamaica Bahamas
= probably poor

Pistons < Spurs
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I've been pretty fortunate in my life being able to see so much of the world. Of course the large majority of it was on family vacations when I was younger.

Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Iowa, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nevada.

Toronto, Cozumel, Puerto Rico, Jamica, Grand Cayman, St Kitts, Antigua, St Thomas, St Maarten, St Barts, St Lucia, Grenada, Tobago, Trinidad, Curacao, England, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Ohio
New Jersey
New York

Mexico
Germany
Austria
Lichenstein
Switzerland

JMarkJohns
03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Countries: United States, Mexico
States driven through: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Delaware
States visited/vacationed: Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Missouri, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and the District of Columbia

Stringer_Bell
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
CA, AZ, UT, CO, TX, OK, LA, IL, MI, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, FL, PA, MD, Washington DC, NJ, CT, NY, RI, MA, VT

United States, Canada, Mexico, Ireland, England, Scotland, Monaco, France, Spain, Malta & Gozo

marini martini
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
NY
Penn
NH
Mass,
Virginia
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
Georgia
Ohio
Illinois
Massachusetts
Maryland
DC
Viginia
Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
California
Washington
Oregon
Vermont
Idaho
Nevada
Forida
N.C.
S.C.
Mississippi
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Minnisotoa
N.Dakota
S. Dakota
Kansas
Colorado

Japan
China
England
Switzerland
Sweden
Netherlands
Holland
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Belize
Jamaica
R0dyanRo54w

Drachen
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
States

Maryland
Delaware
Georgia
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Missouri
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Colorado
New Mexico
Virginia

Countries

Jamaica
Germany
Switzerland
France
Spain
Portugal
Belgium
Holland
Mexico

(and I saw Austria from a path in the Alps that I was hiking on the German side :lol )

lefty
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Lived in the following:

- Algeria (Algiers)
- Belgium (Brussels)
- Morocco (Casablanca)
- Turkey (Ankara)
- France
- Canada - Montreal (current)

Been to:

- Spain
- Italy
- Netherlands
- Tunisia
- Ontario

DesignatedT
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Arizona
Colorado
Georgia
Florida

Bahamas
Mexico (cancun,cozumel,cabo)
Belize (San Pedro)

Cyrano
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee,Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, Nevada, Arizona, California, Kansas, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri.

Germany, East Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, England, Austria, Mexico.

blizz
03-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Texas...duh, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Philadelphia - layover.

Mexico, Italy

Jacob1983
03-03-2010, 01:56 AM
States

Texas (lived here for almost 19 years)
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Missouri
Illinois (lived there for 7 years)
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota (lived there for 1 month)
Indiana
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida

Countries

Mexico (border towns near McAllen, TX)

florige
03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Texas...duh, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Philadelphia - layover.

Mexico, Italy

My list is pretty pathetic. Pa,Sc, NC, NY, Fl,VA. Nothing off the east coast..

JamStone
03-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I've driven through most of the continental United States, but the states where I actually stopped to visit, hang out, and either spent the night or did sight-seeing... (that I know for sure)

MI, IL, IN, OH, MN, WI, PA, NY, NJ, MD, MA, SC, WV, GA, FL, LA, TX, CA, NE, AZ, KS, HI

Lived in Michigan, (New Orleans) Louisiana, and (Long Beach and San Diego) California.

Countries I been to, not including countries I just flew into as a layover: USA, Canada, Mexico, Philippines, France

I hope to go to Greece, Japan, Israel, India, and Italy someday.

David Bowie
03-03-2010, 02:42 AM
States : Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine, New Jersey, Florida, Nevada

Countires: Russia, Estonia, United States, St. Maarten, Aruba, Mexico, Netherlands, Belgium, France

sonic21
03-03-2010, 03:48 AM
NY
England
Belgium
Holland
India
Singapore
Canada

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Texas (home)
Colorado
Florida
Caifornia
Virginia
Indiana
Alabama
Louisiana

I have passed through others but I don't count those.

Only other country is Mexico.

Many PackYao
03-03-2010, 08:59 AM
States I've been to and spent time in besides TX - GA, NC, SC, VA, LA, AL, CA
Just passing through - MS, FL

Countries I've been to and spent time in - Mexico, Germany, France, Spain

flight layover - Wash D.C./Detroit/Pittsburgh/Memphis

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I've been everywhere man
http://www.prairiedoguk.com/music/prairie_guitar.gif

MannyIsGod
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, Louisiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas

The only other country I've been to is Mexico.

Soul_Patch
03-03-2010, 09:42 AM
AIWrmYyFEBM

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
NY
Penn
NH
Mass,
Virginia
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
Georgia
Ohio
Illinois
Massachusetts
Maryland
DC
Viginia
Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
California
Washington
Oregon
Vermont
Idaho
Nevada
Forida
N.C.
S.C.
Mississippi
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Minnisotoa
N.Dakota
S. Dakota
Kansas
Colorado

Japan
China
England
Switzerland
Sweden
Netherlands
Holland
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Belize
Jamaica
R0dyanRo54w

Damn, marini. Did you have some magic dust with you for these trips?

mrsmaalox
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
* Alabama
* Arizona
* Arkansas
* California
* Colorado
* Delaware
* District of Columbia
* Florida
* Georgia
* Idaho
* Illinois
* Indiana
* Kansas
* Kentucky
* Louisiana
* Maryland
* Mississippi
* Missouri
* Nevada
* New Mexico
* New York
* North Carolina
* Ohio
* Oklahoma
* Oregon
* Pennsylvania
* South Carolina
* Tennessee
* Texas
* Utah
* Virginia
* Washington

Canada
Mexico
England
France
Netherlands
Bahamas
China, including Hong Kong and Macau

Shelly
03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
STATES
Ohio (lived there)
California (lived there)
Arizona (lived there)
Texas (currently live here)
New Mexico
West Virginia
New York

Countries
Luxembourg (lived there for 5 years)
Germany
Belgium
France
Ireland
England
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Spain
Greece
Netherlands
Mexico

TheManFromAcme
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Countries: Western Canada, Just about all of Mexico, New Zealand
States: All but N.D., S.D.,Nevada, Maine, CT.

Would love to visit Australia and England.

CuckingFunt
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
States:
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas (airports only so far)
Utah
Wyoming

Countries:
Mexico (Tiajuana, Algodones, Ensenada, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas)

Really need to do more traveling one of these days.

Dex
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
All along the southern bend.

From West to East:
California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Louisiana
Florida

Also visited Mexico, and Port Lucaya on the Grand Bahama Island.

I really need to get norther. Next on the list is hopefully New York, Vancouver, or a European trek to see Germany, Switzerland, Amsterdam, etc...

Dex
03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I also find it interesting how much people travel these days. Definitely nice (and I feel, important) to experience all of the different sights and sounds the world has to offer.

Imagine a time before cars and planes when you were lucky to ever see a state outside of the one you were born. Now you can board a plane in the morning, and be on foreign soil by the evening.

chode_regulator
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Texas
La
MS
AL
FL
GA
SC
NC
VA
DC
MD
OH
WVa
NM
AZ
NV
CA
OR
CO
ME

Mexico
Jamaica
Iraq
Kuwait
Germany (layover only)

Really would like to get to Canada or Alaska next
Germany

CubanMustGo
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
US:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Canada
Alberta
British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Saskatchwewan

Australia
England
Hong Kong
Mexico
New Zealand
Scotland

Coming this fall
Austria
Germany
Switzerland

L.I.T
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Countries - Asia: Philippines, China (Mainland and Hong Kong), South Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, India, Indonesia

Countries - Europe: Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, England, Belgium, Monaco, Netherlands, Luxembourgh, Sweden + Turkey, Egypt (including it here just because)

US States - Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New York, Florida, California, North Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina. Protectorates: DC, Guam, Puerto Rico

Other Countries - Mexico

Capt Bringdown
03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I've lived and worked in Thailand since '02. Have traveled and worked in most of the 48 in a earlier career.

Traveling is great. Living in a foreign country even better. I wish I would have done it a lot earlier in life. I've learned so much and see America and the rest of the world a lot differently than I used to.

I really think that to a certain extent, a lot of our social and political problems are caused by our relative isolation and insularity.

Of course, Americans don't get much time off to explore the world, do we?

Jacob1983
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
I would think that a lot of non-Americans probably do more international travel than Americans for a few reasons. A lot of countries around the world especially in Europe are really close to each other so it makes international travel easier and more convenient. Europe also has a massive train system so that helps too. The only countries that border America are Canada and Mexico. And America is pretty big in size so that probably has an effect to it too. Americans are also workaholics.

Bender
03-04-2010, 04:11 AM
I lived in Morocco for about a year.

Been to the Azores and Portugal. Flight stopover in Newfoundland. Been to Mex a few times (just border towns).

Lived in several US states - California, TX, Virginia, Alabama, and NC I think. Visited or passed through lots more US states, including Hawaii.

Capt Bringdown
03-04-2010, 05:50 AM
I would think that a lot of non-Americans probably do more international travel than Americans for a few reasons.

And I believe the main reason is the average American worker gets 2 weeks vacation a year - if they're lucky.

A lot of countries around the world especially in Europe are really close to each other so it makes international travel easier and more convenient. Europe also has a massive train system so that helps too.

No doubt, but most western democratic countries get a lot more than 2 weeks vacation a year. Next to Japan, we on average get the least. My workplace is very international - I work or have worked with folks from the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Germany, Holland, Finland and Sweden. All of these places get longer vacation than we do.

SAGambler
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, New Jersey, California, Alaska, and the Philippines.

Been in or through Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Kansas, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, New York, Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Wyoming, Montana, Vigin Islands, Bahamas, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Guam, Japan, Puerto Rica, Vietnam, Thailand.

That's all I remember off the top of my head.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
STATES:
Nevada
Oregon
Washington
Utah
New Mexico
Hawaii
Alaska
Idaho
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota

Countries:
Mexico
Ecuador
El Salvador
Canada
Japan
Indonesia
Singapore
South Korea
Macau/Hong Kong
Taiwan
Thailand

word
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Everything except the south east of Louisiana and south of mason dixon line but I plan on doing that.

Been to Mexico and Canada of course, UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, Ireland, Austria, Germany, Israel, Kuwait, India, Panama, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand...oh and Malta.

Places I'd highly recommend going to before you die...

In the US: Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Mt. Rainier National Park, Sequoia National Park, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park. New York, San Francisco, New Orleans. Just a drive through the northwest is worth every penny. Beautiful country.

In Canada: Jasper National Park. Breathtaking scenary. Vancouver, Montreal, Victoria, BC. Toronto for the CN Tower. Never been to eastern Canada.

Overseas: Paris, London, Jerusalem, Sydney, Tokyo, Rio de Janiero ( the beaches are unbelievable...and the women bar none, incredible...) and without question the number one country to go to in the world...Italy. Just a nation of architectural eye candy and history. You'll be on overload. Spend at least 2 weeks, try to do three there. Jerusalem. Well, what more can be said.

And if you like camping, the BWCA in Minnesota...we used to camp at Sawbill in the summer for a week. Isolated. Canoes only, you can portage between lakes, the fishing is awesome, you see moose swimming across the lake ...the sound of loones at night. Incredible. It's about 40 miles of dirt road to get to the campground, they assign you a camp, but you can only get their via canoe.

Took me 55 years to see all those place. Wish I had taken more pictures.

Jacob1983
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know if any of you agree with this but I have always thought that it's an advantage for a person that has traveled a lot around the world and live in other countries in their lifetime. It gives you a lot of perspective on how the world views your own country and people. Americans definitely need more vacation time. If they had more vacation, they might have less stress and that could cause people to not be so fat and unhealthy in America.

lefty
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
US:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Canada
Alberta
British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Saskatchwewan

Australia
England
Hong Kong
Mexico
New Zealand
Scotland

Coming this fall
Austria
Germany
Switzerland

Alphabetical order

Im impressed

word
03-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't know if any of you agree with this but I have always thought that it's an advantage for a person that has traveled a lot around the world and live in other countries in their lifetime. It gives you a lot of perspective on how the world views your own country and people. Americans definitely need more vacation time. If they had more vacation, they might have less stress and that could cause people to not be so fat and unhealthy in America.

The thing about Europe is you realize just how trashy America is. It's so clean and organized and orderly. If you just transplanted Americans to Europe, they would spray paint it in two weeks. There would be trash all over the place, couches dumped on the side of the road.

What sucks about America is how we don't have a sense of community and taking care of it.

Our problem is we have a good part of the population that are just shit human beings that don't respect anything.

Of course, there are some place in the US that are clean and orderly.

San Antonio......ain't one of 'em.

angel_luv
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I have been to:

Mexico
Canada
Germany
Turkey
Holland
England

Illinois
California
Florida
Tenn.
New Mexico
New York

My family has driven from Texas to California and we also drove from Texas to Orlando and we also drove from Texas to New York, so I have driven through a bunch of states.

I really want to go back to Europe. I want to go to Slovenia, France, Germany, Prague, and re-visit the countries I have already seen.

Tom Slick
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
All of you guys who have been to many various other countries..are you rich, or at least more well off than most? Also, how do you find the time to take these trips? Traveling has always been something I wanted to do, but have never been able to do with college and all.

Some of you guys say you've been to Italy, which part did you go to and how was it? Anyone ever been to Milano?

angel_luv
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
All of you guys who have been to many various other countries..are you rich, or at least more well off than most? Also, how do you find the time to take these trips? Traveling has always been something I wanted to do, but have never been able to do with college and all.

Some of you guys say you've been to Italy, which part did you go to and how was it? Anyone ever been to Milano?

I visited the countries in Europe for my high school graduation trip. My mom bought our tickets online- several were greatly discounted- and we stayed with friends in several of the countries.
So for the most part, my travels through Europe was a one time expensive.

I have been to England several times, since that is one of the places we have friends. Each time my mom has done a great job getting us discounted plane tickets.

I encourage you to start saving now so hopefully you can take a trip when you graduate college- before your life gets even busier with your career.

There are a lot of great deals out there if you know where to look for them. When you get ready to make plans, I will ask mom where she looks for tickets and pass along the information to you.

03-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Over the years I've been fortunate to have either worked in, or visited, the following places;

Countries:
Canada
Mexico
Netherlands Antilles
St. Kitts and Nevis
Jamaica
Argentina
Brazil
Venezuela
French Guyana
Suriname
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Netherlands
United Kingdom
USSR (Back when it was still called that)
Norway
Sweden
Poland
Spain
Australia
Japan
China
South Korea

States:
California
Utah
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
South Dakota
Oklahoma
Florida
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Virginia
Washington D.C.
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New York
Alabama
Mississippi

Tom Slick
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Over the years I've been fortunate to have either worked in, or visited, the following places;

Countries:
Canada
Mexico
Netherlands Antilles
St. Kitts and Nevis
Jamaica
Argentina
Brazil
Venezuela
French Guyana
Suriname
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Netherlands
United Kingdom
USSR (Back when it was still called that)
Norway
Sweden
Poland
Spain
Australia
Japan
China
South Korea

States:
California
Utah
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
South Dakota
Oklahoma
Florida
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Virginia
Washington D.C.
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
New York
Alabama
Mississippi

what kind of work do you do?

03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
what kind of work do you do?

I work heavy industrial construction.

Shelly
03-05-2010, 04:52 PM

My dad was transferred there for his job, so we were able to travel a lot. And since Luxembourg is the size of a microdot, it was easy to get from one country to another.

My mom's parents were from Italy. Her father was a twin. He emigrated to the states and his twin stayed in Italy. We got to meet the twin (my grandfather died years before) as well as some of my mom's first cousins. They didn't speak English and we didn't speak Italian. My grandma was living with us at the time and spoke some Italian, even though she spoke with a dialect. I was only 10 at the time, but I still remember it and how cool it was. My mom's parents were from Campobasso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campobasso). We also went to Rome and Florence.

I wish I had been older when we lived there, because you don't appreciate it as much when your ages 7-12 as you would if you were older.

Jekka
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM

I haven't been to too many countries (Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, the Vatican), but I've been to 38 of the 50 states. I just finished school in December, so I understand not having any money, but my theory is that you either make the time and money for it, or you don't. You make all of your own opportunities when it comes to that stuff. I drive a paid-off Civic that gets good mileage, and when I want to go somewhere I get in the car and fucking go. I Priceline hotels for cheap, stay in bed and breakfasts that are sympathetic to students (unforunately I had to cancel my reservations at one in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side that I found for $35/night). When I lived in Michigan I drove all over that part of the country, and when I interned in Yellowstone this past summer I drove all over Montana, Wyoming, and went to Canada - not to mention the awesome road trip up there from Texas. Manny and I did a trip out to Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, and the Davis Mountains for less than $250 including gas, you just need to know how to budget, be flexible, and not mind going without some things.

Another thing - keep up with restaurant weeks in places that you are thinking about going. I just moved out to Santa Fe, whose restaurant week is currently going on - I am trying a ton of restaurants that I would ordinarily never be able to afford to go to on a librarian's budget.

As for international travel, keep an eye open for airfare specials - if you know people who live where you want to go, keep in touch with them so you have cheap travel guides and possible accommodation. There are crazy travel specials all the time if you've got a flexible schedule - subscribe to email lists like IgoUgo and all of the MSNBC travel tip RSS feeds. Google Reader is your friend.

Also, Italy was amazing, but I didn't make it to Milan - I went to Rome, Florence, and Venice - all three definitely worth seeing, and all very different.

03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I haven't been to too many countries (Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, the Vatican), but I've been to 38 of the 50 states. I just finished school in December, so I understand not having any money, but my theory is that you either make the time and money for it, or you don't. You make all of your own opportunities when it comes to that stuff. I drive a paid-off Civic that gets good mileage, and when I want to go somewhere I get in the car and fucking go. I Priceline hotels for cheap, stay in bed and breakfasts that are sympathetic to students (unforunately I had to cancel my reservations at one in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side that I found for $35/night). When I lived in Michigan I drove all over that part of the country, and when I interned in Yellowstone this past summer I drove all over Montana, Wyoming, and went to Canada - not to mention the awesome road trip up there from Texas. Manny and I did a trip out to Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, and the Davis Mountains for less than $250 including gas, you just need to know how to budget, be flexible, and not mind going without some things.

Another thing - keep up with restaurant weeks in places that you are thinking about going. I just moved out to Santa Fe, whose restaurant week is currently going on - I am trying a ton of restaurants that I would ordinarily never be able to afford to go to on a librarian's budget.

As for international travel, keep an eye open for airfare specials - if you know people who live where you want to go, keep in touch with them so you have cheap travel guides and possible accommodation. There are crazy travel specials all the time if you've got a flexible schedule - subscribe to email lists like IgoUgo and all of the MSNBC travel tip RSS feeds. Google Reader is your friend.

Also, Italy was amazing, but I didn't make it to Milan - I went to Rome, Florence, and Venice - all three definitely worth seeing, and all very different.

I haven't been following ST for a bit, so you've graduated and are now in Santa Fe? Manny with you? In your area Ruidoso is nice, just don't drive there first thing in the morning or late at night.

smeagol
03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh no another how rich are you? thread

Esmegmols going to come in here and tell us all traveling made him smarter than us boys raised on shotguns

Never been to Victoria, TX . . .

smeagol
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
West Virginia
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
Ohio
Illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
Alaska
California
Washington
Oregon
Vermont
Idaho
Nevada
Hawaii
Tahiti
England
Japan
China
Canada
Mexico
Australia
Sweden
Netherlands
Argentina
Chile
Uruguay

I think that's it. Could be more though...

WTF?

How did they let a fat, redhead, hillbilly, Blazer fan into my country?

mookie2001
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
hillbilly from oregon? got that?

have any nazis every been to argentina?