PDA

View Full Version : Fucking A-Hole Mayor Garza!

TheWriter
05-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Opportunity to woo NFL team muffed by mayor

Vikings owner McCombs reached out to no avail
W. Scott Bailey

Mayor Ed Garza continues to seek support for his bid to attract Major League Soccer (MLS) to San Antonio and the 65,000-seat Alamodome.

And now Minnesota Vikings owner and San Antonio businessman Red McCombs says the mayor sought his support for an MLS team while ignoring a possible NFL opportunity.

Garza and the city have agreed through a memorandum of understanding with MLS to consider providing the league millions of dollars worth of facilities improvements, free Alamodome rent and various other incentives. That prompted the Business Journal to ask McCombs if Garza had come to him with any such proposal aimed at luring the Vikings or another NFL team to the nation's eighth largest city.

"No," McCombs says. Furthermore, he contends that he reached out to Garza on the NFL issue and was met with indifference.

"I went to Garza; he didn't come to me," McCombs says about a meeting the two had before he put the Vikings up for sale and before the MLS began to seriously consider the Alamo City. "I tried to interest him in (the NFL). He didn't have that as an item on his agenda list."

Although McCombs says there was no guarantee that his or any NFL team would set sail for San Antonio at the time, he adds, "We had a window, a short window for a few months that was a possibility."

But McCombs maintains that because Garza never acted on that meeting, the matter was dropped.

"There wasn't any use in me even beginning to pursue that unless you've got the leadership backing," explains McCombs. "It's hard enough with it. But without it, you don't have any place to go. So I didn't pursue it."

Asked to respond to McCombs' comments, Garza says, "I think when you compare 20 (MLS) dates to Red (McCombs), who probably would have wanted the whole dome for 365 days ... that's a different situation.

"Plus there is the upgrade to the facility. Everyone knows the Alamodome is not NFL-ready today, both in suites and seating capacity."
Political futbol

McCombs tried but was unable to get a new stadium for the Vikings in Minnesota. Some NFL observers believe that it was when those efforts became obviously unsuccessful that the window opened widest for San Antonio. But while McCombs has worked to bring pro football to San Antonio, Garza has chased after pro "futbol."

Garza is convinced MLS will work here. He also contends that he has never closed the door to the NFL.

"We're not ruling anything out," Garza says. "We want the NFL, any team, to know they are welcome here."

Garza says he has joked with Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt that he should move his NFL team to San Antonio. Garza has met with Hunt more than once on matters related to MLS as he also owns the Kansas City Wizards.

"We think this relationship with the MLS, with Lamar Hunt, with the owner of the New England Patriots (Robert Kraft, who also owns the MLS New England Revolution), we're opening up eyes to other NFL owners about what San Antonio can offer," Garza says. "That's why I think soccer has to be successful here. I think that only helps our efforts for an NFL team."

McCombs says he doesn't understand why Garza did not act on his meeting about the NFL opportunity.

"I'm not saying it would have happened," McCombs explains. "But there was a window, and Garza didn't have any interest in addressing that at all."

McCombs is less confident about San Antonio's NFL chances now -- especially since he is working to close on a deal to sell the Vikings to an Arizona businessman. But the mayoral candidate he is backing, Phil Hardberger, remains hopeful.

"I have not given up myself on a professional football team," Hardberger says, adding that, if elected, he will work to set up a meeting with NFL officials within his first 100 days in office.

Hardberger's mayoral opponents have their own thoughts on the NFL equation.

"The challenge is that it's going to take us as much as $150 million just to renovate our dome," claims City Councilman Julian Castro.

Even less anxious to pick up the ball is City Councilman Carroll Schubert, who says, "I think the amount of money cities have had to ante up the last few years (to get teams) is too much."

Market demand

McCombs and Garza met over the city's MLS opportunities after their NFL meeting. The result was no more fruitful than their NFL discussion.

"The mayor came to me and asked if I would talk to some group about investing in a soccer team, and I told him no, there wouldn't be any interest at all," McCombs explains.

Why did he pass on MLS?

"I don't know that there is any known market in San Antonio for that product," McCombs says.

Although the sport of soccer has a passionate fan base and a growing base of interest, particularly among America's youth, it has yet to achieve mainstream or major league status on a level with the NFL, Major League Baseball or the NBA.

A 2004 ESPN sports poll of nearly 25,000 Americans revealed that 75 percent of those surveyed are "not at all" interested in MLS. Even among youth ages 12-17, a hefty 61 percent of those surveyed shared that same sentiment.

Garza believes San Antonio's large Hispanic population and its proximity to Mexico are two key reasons the city will successfully support an MLS team. But that same ESPN poll indicates that, among Hispanics, 63 percent claim to have no interest in MLS.

McCombs has owned a number of professional sports teams, including the San Antonio Spurs. And he freely admits that the Spurs, in their early ABA days in the since-demolished HemisFair Arena, were the beneficiary of some city perks that helped keep the team solvent.

But McCombs says the concessions MLS could get from the city are "a very, very eyebrow-raising deal." He adds, "You would think there is a degree of sophistication (at City Hall) that would understand the value of an NFL franchise."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2005/05/02/story1.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I wonder how much of that 22 million sweetheart deal, or proceeds from the MLS team, is going to find its way to Garza's pocket.

T Park
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
blah blah blah.

T Park
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Garza is as corupt damn near as Clinton.

Clandestino
05-01-2005, 11:22 PM
garza will probably be on the team that comes to san anotnio's board or some shit...

NameDropper
05-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't think SA can support an NFL team.

NameDropper
05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Because of it's size?
If cities like Kansas City, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Clevland, with well under half a million people can, so can we. The positive response to an NFL team in this city would be overwhelming.

No, because of the high price of NFL tickets.
Filling the SBC center is one thing, filling the Alamo Dome is another.
But I could be wrong. Big business could buy up a big chunk of the tickets.

baseline bum
05-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Soccer is alright, but MLS soccer definitely sucks. I can't imagine football not succeeding in San Antonio. We get crowds in the thousands for high school football, and yet we couldn't fill the Dome 8 times a year? If San Antonio ever got an NFL team (especially with how bad Dallas is right now) they'd sell out every game. San Antonio lives and breathes football.

Nbadan
05-02-2005, 03:02 AM
If San Antonio ever got an NFL team (especially with how bad Dallas is right now) they'd sell out every game. San Antonio lives and breathes football.

The problem wouldn't be putting 65,000 butts in the seats for 8-10 games per year, but to fill the 150 or so private suites that it would take for a team to turn a profit in SA. Also, the Dome would need about $100-120 million dollars in renovations to bring it up to NFL standards. I'm not sure if SA tax payers would be willing to foot that bill right now, but if UTSA ever gets a Division 1 team, there is no reason the state and city couldn't come up with some type of financing plan for Dome renovation.

MannyIsGod
05-02-2005, 09:33 AM
UTSA needs to fix it's academics and not worry about Div 1 football, but thats another story.

This are actualy the first comments by Harberger that I don't like one bit. I'm not interested in fucking around funding stadiums for teams that aren't going to have a large impact on San Antonio when there is a large need for spending in several areas around town.

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 09:35 AM
those other cities barely have 500,000 and their per capita incomes are barely above san antonio's. i'm 100% positive we could fill the dome for 8 regular season games. plus, if they made the playoffs the city would go nuts and they definitely fill the stadium for those games as well.

and sa has already paid for 2 venues for the spurs in just the past 10 years. for an nfl team they wouldn't bat an eye. for mls, there is no way in hell a referendum would pass which is why the city council had to go behind our backs...

MannyIsGod
05-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Actually, Bexar County has paid for one venue for the Spurs in the past 10 years, and the City has paid for one NFL stadium in the past 11 years.

IX_Equilibrium
05-02-2005, 10:08 AM
If the cities of Jacksonville and New Orleans (especially N.O., with their depressing franchise history) can support an NFL team, so can San Antonio.

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Actually, Bexar County has paid for one venue for the Spurs in the past 10 years, and the City has paid for one NFL stadium in the past 11 years.

san antonio is in bexar county. therefore the majority of the same people have paid for 2 stadiums.

Taco
05-02-2005, 10:56 AM
No, because of the high price of NFL tickets.
Filling the SBC center is one thing, filling the Alamo Dome is another.
But I could be wrong. Big business could buy up a big chunk of the tickets.

Think of it this way

in basketball you have 41 home games
pay for parking 41 times
pay for brew / soft drink 41 times (that's only one drink per game)
pay for popcorn/peanuts 41 times

in football you have 8 home games

San Antonio CAN support and NFL team
We are not a "Small-Town" city anymore

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 11:14 AM
of course we can and would... fucking garza sold us out to the mls though.

CosmicCowboy
05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
The NFL has already said they aren't allowing any future team venues that don't have natural grass. The Alamodome can't be converted to an open stadium or even one with a retractable roof like Reliant without being completely torn down and rebuilt. It simply wasn't designed for that contingency...

remember...Reliant which is the new "standard" for NFL stadiums cost almost 400 million...

exstatic
05-02-2005, 01:00 PM
THE NFL IS NOT COMING TO SAN ANTONIO.

When will you people learn that being a ho for Benson, McCombs, or Bidwell is the best that any mayor here can expect? The Alamo Dome is a substandard venue, as has been mentioned here many times. Red was just pissed because a mayor finally refused to play the game to get him a new stadium in Minny.

Bandit2981
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
call out the black helicopters, but something tells me Garza is purposely trying to cornhole the entire city on his way out as a big middle finger salute to everyone

Clandestino
05-02-2005, 01:29 PM
The NFL has already said they aren't allowing any future team venues that don't have natural grass. The Alamodome can't be converted to an open stadium or even one with a retractable roof like Reliant without being completely torn down and rebuilt. It simply wasn't designed for that contingency...

remember...Reliant which is the new "standard" for NFL stadiums cost almost 400 million...

400 million? but there are talks of retrofitting the alamodome for 120million? screw it, tear the place down and build a new in its place!

Extra Stout
05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Because of it's size?
If cities like Kansas City, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Clevland, with well under half a million people can, so can we. The positive response to an NFL team in this city would be overwhelming.

those other cities barely have 500,000 and their per capita incomes are barely above san antonio's. i'm 100% positive we could fill the dome for 8 regular season games. plus, if they made the playoffs the city would go nuts and they definitely fill the stadium for those games as well.

Fallacies. The size and income of the central city is irrelevant. The metropolitan areas of those cities are double to triple the size of San Antonio's metro area.

If the cities of Jacksonville and New Orleans (especially N.O., with their depressing franchise history) can support an NFL team, so can San Antonio.Now that I can buy. However, New Orleans is having a very difficult time supporting both the Saints and the Hornets. The Hornets probably don't have a long-term future there, even with the generous arena deal.

So, would you be willing to sacrifice the Spurs to have the NFL? I'm not sure businesses will have the budget in SA to buy season tickets for both.

Oh, keep in mind that Jones and McNair will pull out all the stops to keep a third team out of Texas, and that they are among the most powerful owners.

And indeed, renovating the Alamodome won't get the job done -- not with Reliant Stadium and the Cowboys' new deal to replace Texas Stadium.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
What if Austin metro's 1.25 million people was factored into this?

Clandestino
05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
What if Austin metro's 1.25 million people was factored into this?

great point!

i think our biggest problem would not be the selling of tickets, but the renovation/tearing down of the old alamodome and building a big brand new reliant type place. that place is so awesome. it makes tha alamodome look like a storage shed.

jalbre6
05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I went to Reliant for a preseason game last year and was most impressed. The funniest part was as a kid I remember being in awe at the size of the Astrodome. Reliant Stadium, which is right next door, dwarfs the dome. It's got to be over twice the size of it.

And the seating is like being in an arena, not a football stadium. I usually don't have much good to say about H-Town, but with Reliant, Minute Maid, and the Toyota Center they've got their shit together in stadia.

Extra Stout
05-03-2005, 12:53 PM
What if Austin metro's 1.25 million people was factored into this?Is it realistic to think that the Round Rock tech industry would make a significant investment in a San Antonio team? You're not talking 90 miles, you're talking 120 miles at that point, and by then the Cowboys are only an additional hour away.

I mean, given that there is basically zero collaboration between SA and Austin on any kind of development save the I-35 corridor, wouldn't it be kind of hard for them convincingly to work together in attracting an NFL team, assuming Austin even would be interested?

Louae
05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Austin only cares for UT athletics. Pro sports are an afterthought in the city of Austin. Anybody who believes otherwise is smoking crack.

blaze89
05-04-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a hard time believing the NFL would want San Antonio in their league. As far as McCombs, he would have had a hard time getting the Vikings to leave Minnesota because of the lease and he knows (although he won't admit it) the Alamodome is out of date and serious need of renovation and improvment. I mean, I am certain he wanted to use San Antonio as a bargaining chip (nothing wrong with that) to work something out with Minnesota, especially if San Antonio was willing to offer the heavens.

San Antonio has not done anything to attract itself to the NFL, politically it's cosmetic at best (remember Howard Peak celebrating the naming of the Houston Texans :rolleyes), a supposively rabid football town, any football team or event that has called San Antonio home has not drawn support. Remember the pre-season games in the 90s, some drew below 30,000, which prompted a reported from USAToday to write, scratch off San Antonio off the expansion list. Recently, the Vikings drew 48,000 but tickets were on sale for a year and was blacked out locally.

We say we want the NFL but really haven't done anything to get their attention in terms of prior football attendance (preseason NFL, CFL, WLAF, USFL) and the city's cosmetic approach to the situation. Supposively, we are trying to get the NFLs attention and we aren't even doing that, it's been all talk.

Sure we have the Alamo Bowl but clearly it isn't enough.

Attendance may not be a problem but we know that it's all about the suites. The Browns had great attendence but Modell took the Browns to Baltimore because of lack of city support for a stadium, a stadium that was way, way outdated and Baltimore was offering a deal he couldn't refuse.

The NFL is now a corporate game and we don't have the suites or the companies to sustain an NFL team. It's not like Green Bay or Minnesota where you have the entire state supporting your team.

Since the dome was built, there has been four NFL teams relocating (Rams, Raiders, Browns, Oilers) and none of them took San Antonio seriously.

As far as Austin, the city belongs to UT Longhorns, no way would they support a San Antonio team.

I have not heard from anyone who can realisticly point out what San Antonio has to offer the NFL and why should the NFL should come here.

jalbre6
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Out of the 30 largest metro areas according to the 2000 census, several cities (is that the right word?) larger than SA are without NFL teams.

Los Angeles (2), population 16,373,645

Portland (23), population 2,265,223

Sacramento (25), population 1,796,857

Milwaukee (27, and yes, I know about Green Bay), population 1,689,572

Orlando (28), population 1,644,561

San Antonio (29), population 1,592,383

Norfolk (30), population 1,569,541

Is Portland considered in Seattle's territory? Sacto in Oakland or San Francisco's? Orlando in Tampa's?

Also sort of weird...Charlotte and Jacksonville aren't in the top 30. I understand Carolina is a bit of a regional franchise.

TheWriter
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
According to the Census, San Antonio's 2004 Metro population is 1,854,050.

1 New York-Newark-Edison, NY-NJ-PA 18709802
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 12925330
3 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 9391515
4 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 5800614
5 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 5700256
6 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 5361723
7 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 5180443
8 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 5139549
9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 4708297
10 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 4493165
11 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH 4424649
12 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 4153870
13 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 3793081
14 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 3715360
15 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 3166828
16 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI 3116206
17 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 2931714
18 St. Louis, MO-IL 2764054
19 Baltimore-Towson, MD 2639213
20 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 2587967
21 Pittsburgh, PA 2401575
22 Denver-Aurora, CO 2287245
23 Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH 2137073
24 Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA 2064336
25 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN 2058221
26 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 2016702
27 Kansas City, MO-KS 1925319
28 Orlando, FL 1861707
29 San Antonio, TX 1854050

jalbre6
05-04-2005, 06:06 PM
One of these two studies is full of shit. How did LA have a 3.5M population swing?

AlamoSpursFan
05-04-2005, 06:40 PM
The Rams came very close to moving here instead of St. Louise. Red refused to give up concessions at the dome, so Georgia went to St. Louise instead.

Also, the Buccaneers actually had everything ready to go to move here had the election to build that Pirate ship they play in not gone their way.

And Carolina was a favor returned to the dude who owns them, whose bank floated beau coup loans to keep the NFL rolling during the strike a few years before they got the team.

TheWriter
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM

TheWriter
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
One of these two studies is full of shit. How did LA have a 3.5M population swing?

Because of number 13.

No longer does the Census consider Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario part of the LA CMSA. Riverside is a metro in itself now. Even though LA is just one big ass suburb.

jalbre6
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Because of number 13.

No longer does the Census consider Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario part of the LA CMSA. Riverside is a metro in itself now. Even though LA is just one big ass suburb.

Oh, I didn't catch that. Thanks.

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2005, 07:02 PM
New York is too fucking big......

TheWriter
05-04-2005, 07:07 PM
New York too big?

Mexico City metro is almost 30 million

Tokyo metro is over 30 million.

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
New York too big?