PDA

View Full Version : Civil Service Jobs

Soul_Patch
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Are such a fucking racket. You have about a 2% chance of ever getting considered for one due to all the rampant cronyism that go's on. Almost everyone i know who retired from active duty had a guaranteed GS position waiting for them with like 4x their active duty pay....ridiculous.

I dont realy need a job right now, but i frequent USAJobs.com and apply for better paying jobs that i should be a shoe in for. Never once have i ever been considered, out of like 35 applications over the last few years. The same email i get back every time states that "We have not reviewed your qualifications for this position due to the abundance of eligible compensable veterans, priority placement candidates, and/or higher ranking candidates that must first be certified and considered."

Fuck them...

grindmouse
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I am not sure where your at but here in San Antonio I went to Ft Sam army base when I gt out of the service and they told me the same thing. Here is a secret, go find some guys already working for civil service and they will tell you who to talk to.

Ft.Sam stopped hiring the civil service in 1993 they do mostly contractors and vendors, in fact I got a job with Goodwill INDS they have the contract to do all the painting at Ft Sam. I worked side by side with the civil service people.

Also you can get in through an agency like Texas rehabilitation or you can pay 60-120 dollars to a job placement agency they have a system to cut through the red tape.

and if all else fails you can get fee legal help and claim your being discriminated against.
Good Luck.

CubanMustGo
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I can remember applying for a position out of college once and being told by the local hiring agency saying I didn't meet the requirements for the grade ... despite having a piece of paper from the US Civil Service Commission stating that I did. :lol

All those extra points given out make it very tough if you're an average working stiff without connections.

Duff McCartney
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm interested in working for the State Department in a few years to work overseas but I keep hearing that it's very hard to get into the state department. I don't know if I'd have a chance to get in but I'm sure the experience I'll get from teaching will be a good place to start.

Wild Cobra
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
You can pretty much scratch the idea if you have a record of anything other than traffic violations. Federal jobs are also hard to get if you owe any back taxes.

If you don't even make it to an interview, it is simply because they have so many better qualified candidates from their initial screening. At this point, veterans preference points only add 5% or 10% to your qualifications. If you take a test and qualify, with a 70% or better, you still may be ignored. They only go to the next step by a specific number of applicants, by score merit. If you scored below 80, and go to the next step, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I got in with 90.7 score + 5 veterans for a 95.7.