Craig Brackins

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/craigbrackins.jpg

Height: 6' 10"
Weight: 230 lbs
Birthday: 10/09/1987 (22 Years Old)
Current: PF/C
NBA: PF
Possible: PF

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Craig-Brackins-1147/)
NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/craig-brackins)
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36262)

Libri
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
What happened to this guy? Last year he was considered a top pick. Now DraftExpress and NBADraft.net have him going in the second round. According to DraftExpress, he hasn't showed enough improvement.

mountainballer
04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
lack of improvement is a nic way to say it. Brackins declined in every possible category. tons of talent and great size, seems as if he just doesn't like to play basketball. and the fact that he already will be 23 when the next season starts also doesn't help his stock.

Libri
04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Since he's a junior, he could consider staying another year and try to raise his stock but, like you said, his age will be a negative. I think he will stay in the draft and try to raise his stock through tryouts.

Bruno
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
http://gazetteonline.com/sports/2010/05/17/brackins-working-to-fulfill-nba-dream

Next week Brackins travels to Boston, Toronto and San Antonio for workouts with those teams.

Libri
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think he will fall low enough in the second round for the Spurs to have a chance.

Darkwaters
05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
If he were to fall to 49 he'd be a worthy gamble. As the 6th big for next year he could play in Austin and work to make the complete conversion to the PF. His skill set could be very helpful if developed down the line. Hes not the kind of player that will help you now - but who at 49 will? Hes a decent developmental project.

ChuckD
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
continuation of discussion in another thread, so as to not hijack it.

I am not surprised by Brackins. He is going to help somebody in the NBA. Last year, he was projected to be a mid 1st rounder, as far as I can remember. He had a bad year this year because teams double team and triple team him. Bit 22 is a reach as well.

That smothering defense will be much more like what he'll face in the NBA every night. If that caused the major drop in his stats, then he probably won't score effectively in the post in the pros. The one thing I hate about his stats was his increase in minutes and corresponding drop of one full rebound per game. I don't like that at all. To me, that says that if he isn't scoring, he isn't trying and hustling.

AFBlue
06-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Wouldn't be a bad pick up in trade-back scenarios (i.e. Grizz at 25 and 28)...versatile offensive player with decent range on his J. Picking him could potentially allow the Spurs to finally cut the cord with Bonner.

Chieflion
06-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Poor man's Andray Blatche is a way of putting it. He has the skills, now he has to realize it and put everything together mentally.

duncan228
06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
NBA mock draft: Take 5, Round 1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-mockdraft1round062110)
By Mike McGraw, The Sports Xchange

20. San Antonio Spurs – Craig Brackins, PF/C, Iowa State: The Spurs could definitely use some reinforcements on the front line. The 6-10 Brackins was touted as a lottery pick after averaging 20.2 points and 9.5 rebounds as a sophomore. He stayed in school and had a disappointing season, but there is always room for skilled big men in the NBA.

AFBlue
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Brackins is the Spurs selection according to the 6th edition of Chad Ford's mock draft. James had been the pick for the previous 5 editions, but he goes at #19 to the Celtics in the latest mock.

Below is the writeup....

San Antonio

Craig Brackins
Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 229
School: Iowa State

(Brackins' previous position: No. 26 to Oklahoma City)

Analysis: The Spurs need size, and this pick will likely come down to either Brackins or Alabi. While Alabi has the size and upside, with Tiago Splitter possibly coming to San Antonio this fall, the Spurs may be set at the 5.

Brackins' ability to spread the floor and play inside and outside is coveted in San Antonio. A number of GMs have told me he could end up being the sleeper of the draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-100622

AFBlue
06-22-2010, 11:12 AM
On Brackins, I think it's important to note that he's probably the only big man the Spurs have worked out that is slotted to go in the mid-late first round.

yavozerb
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Again, with none of the elite sf's looking like they will be available at #20 I would have no problem with this pick. I have not seen him play in college, but from his #'s in college his rebounding would be a step up from bonner and would guess his size would help more on defense as well. If Brackens is indeed the pick, would you guys guess this would all but end Ian coming back for next season?

yavozerb
06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Bored at work so I thought I would post some footage of the guy. In the hornets workout I believe he is wearing a white jersey and hits the 1st jumper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0nafh0EvlY
- wizards workout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0aj_c5sLLY
-hornets workout

dbestpro
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Brackins has now become my favorite for the 20th pick. He makes too much sense for what Pop likes to do. I still think he may have lottery level skills. His last year was a result of lousy teammates as much as it was anything else.

AFBlue
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Brackins has now become my favorite for the 20th pick. He makes too much sense for what Pop likes to do. I still think he may have lottery level skills. His last year was a result of lousy teammates as much as it was anything else.

It'd be nice to see him acquired in a move-back scenario (with Grizzlies at #25 and #28?), but if the Spurs believe him to be worthy of a first round pick I don't see a reason to not grab him at #20.

He's a skilled offensive forward that has more upside and a better all-around game than the guy(s) he'd be replacing.

SenorSpur
06-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's two reasons to worry about this kid, courtesy of NBADraftNet:

After a disappointing season in which he failed to live up to expectations, Brackins often gets labeled as being soft ...

Defensively, again he is not the strongest in regards to forwards his size, and he lacks the lateral quickness to defend off the dribble against more athletic forwards ... At 22 years old, his upside will be looked at as limited ...

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
someone was saying that spurs will draft this guy if available at 20.....is he a good defender??

dbestpro
06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's two reasons to worry about this kid, courtesy of NBADraftNet:

After a disappointing season in which he failed to live up to expectations, Brackins often gets labeled as being soft ...

Defensively, again he is not the strongest in regards to forwards his size, and he lacks the lateral quickness to defend off the dribble against more athletic forwards ... At 22 years old, his upside will be looked at as limited ...

The kid was often double and triple team on offense. That had to have an effect on how much he had left for defense. His lateral quickness is about x100 better than Bonner. He also has a decent inside game. I think for a 20 pick he is the consummate sleeper.

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
nbadraft. net compares him to lamarcus aldridge.....fingers crossed

timvp
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not too high on Brackins. A bigman who crumbled when faced with more double teams doesn't give me much confidence. Add in the facts that he shot just 42% last season and doesn't rebound or block shots too well ... and I just don't see it.

Maybe he just checked out of the season due to his bad teammates. Maybe he will flourish as a stretch four. But I'm skeptical.

5in10
06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
like his offense. Hows his defense, there wasnt one block in his highlight videos.

AFBlue
06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not too high on Brackins. A bigman who crumbled when faced with more double teams doesn't give me much confidence. Add in the facts that he shot just 42% last season and doesn't rebound or block shots too well ... and I just don't see it.

Maybe he just checked out of the season due to his bad teammates. Maybe he will flourish as a stretch four. But I'm skeptical.

Not likely to see double teams as a role player on a playoff team, especially with Duncan/Splitter (?) down low.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Personally, I'm concerned about having another 3-pt chucker, who can't defend. We already have too much of that now.

AFBlue
06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Personally, I'm concerned about having another 3-pt chucker, who can't defend. We already have too much of that now.

That's probably a mischaracterization of his skills and abilities. Apparently he generated a lot of his offense from post ups, but he has the ability to hit the outside J. And his range right now is out to the college 3pt line, not the NBA 3pt line.