View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Dexter Pittman

Bruno
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
http://emile.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2009/12/23/pittman.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 310 lbs
Birthday: 03/02/1988
College: Texas

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dexter-Pittman-1182/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/dexter-pittman)

Biggems
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Pittman should be a lottery pick, but Barnes runs a jacked up system at Texas. Pittman is one of the most under-utilized big men I have seen in a long time. He is Shaq-sized vs all those college kids....with only that guy from Kansas being anywhere near his equal. However, Barnes doesn't ever feed Big Dex down low to dominate the paint. Basically Pittman gets nothing but the offensive scraps of the ballhogs like James, Bradley, Hamilton, etc.

I want Pittman on the Spurs.

benefactor
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I like Pittman, but I don't really think he fits well enough with the Spurs right now for them to draft him. Though he is bigger, his game duplicates a lot of what Blair gives them. Athletic forwards/wings that can provide shooting should be higher on the priority list.

exstatic
03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I like Pittman, but I don't really think he fits well enough with the Spurs right now for them to draft him. Though he is bigger, his game duplicates a lot of what Blair gives them. Athletic forwards/wings that can provide shooting should be higher on the priority list.

You can always pluck wings/guards out of the d-league or as bargains in FA. If you think Pittman has a legit chance to develop into even a servicable NBA big, you take him in the second, no questions.

When you're reaching in the second round for upside, it's ALWAYS better to go for a raw pivot or a raw point.

mookie2001
03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
no

this player has failed in every category, he has hands worse than mcdyess, he cant set a pick, he cant pass, he cant shoot, cant shoot freethrows, cant get around his man, cant block shots, cant stay out of foul trouble, hes too slow, he is not smart, he does not play team basketball, he has bad feet, he doesnt play hard on defense, he cant go left, cant fake well, cannot play with patience, cannot be authoritive, the list goes on and on. he is exactly what you do not want in a player

he is not like blair in anyway except he can score one foot from the basket, and this draft prospect cant even do that. Blair can set a pick, blair can attack a rebound, blair can run the floor, blair can stay with his man in the post, blair uses the pump fake well, also blair doesnt hack and poke people and send them to the line every play

benefactor
03-20-2010, 04:58 PM
You can always pluck wings/guards out of the d-league or as bargains in FA. If you think Pittman has a legit chance to develop into even a servicable NBA big, you take him in the second, no questions.

When you're reaching in the second round for upside, it's ALWAYS better to go for a raw pivot or a raw point.
I just think that with one space eating big already in the Spurs future and the forward depth in this draft it would be better to take a chance on one of the more athletic forwards. You might be right about Pittman, but I just don't see how he fits with the team.

mountainballer
03-23-2010, 06:08 AM

Manu?

I don't think you can make it a philosophy. Drafts classes are pretty different form year to year, some are deep in the big department, some are deep at the wing. you pick who you think is good.
btw. I don't want to go tru the drafts of the last years, but didn't more SGs and SFs from the 2nd round deliver a decent to great NBA career than Centers?

blkroadrunners
03-23-2010, 08:22 AM
This guy's another David Harrison. Why the fuck should the Spurs draft him?!

exstatic
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
This guy's another David Harrison. Why the fuck should the Spurs draft him?!

Is he going to threaten to kill Bonner? Because there's a large contingent of Spurs fans that would LOVE that.

I always thought Harrison could have been quite a decent player if he weren't so FUCKING PSYCHOTIC. :lol He's definitely got a bad case of Artest Syndrome.

Biggems
04-16-2010, 01:15 AM
If we are going to let Ian walk, I would be very happy if we drafted Pittman, even if we brought over Splitter.

BTW, Pittman is down to about 250-260 now. He is a defensive presence most definitely. He also has a nice low post game on offense, very soft hands. Conditioning is still an issue with him, but he is well worth the 2nd round pick.

Of course, I would rather let McDyess walk and keep Ian. I am all for having young athletic bigs. Especially with the size the Lakers have. Duncan, Splitter, Ian, Blair, Bonner, and Pittman would be a nice set of bigs.

Darkwaters
04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
If Pittman is on the board with our second I think you take him. I wouldn't reach for him or trade up to get him. But if pick number 50 rolls around and hes still there - snatch him up. Worst case scenario you just Jack McClinton him...

mountainballer
04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Jackie Butler 2.0?
however, I agree that at #50 he is an option to take a flyer as well as any other player.
could very well happen that the Spurs use their 1st rounder for Damion James.
two Longhorns for the Spurs. why not.

admiralsnackbar
04-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Jackie Butler 2.0?
however, I agree that at #50 he is an option to take a flyer as well as any other player.
could very well happen that the Spurs use their 1st rounder for Damion James.
two Longhorns for the Spurs. why not.

I don't know that there will ever be another Jackie Butler. I literally can't think of somebody of his one-time abilities/potential who's ever completely dropped off the map the way he did.

Definitely like D. James potential, but his scoring/PF ratio is a bit of an Ian-esque concern. Having only watched a handful of UT games myself, do you think his stats are a product of the role he's been asked to play, or more of a personal limitation?

mountainballer
04-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Definitely like D. James potential, but his scoring/PF ratio is a bit of an Ian-esque concern. Having only watched a handful of UT games myself, do you think his stats are a product of the role he's been asked to play, or more of a personal limitation?

you think James is that foul prone?
(yes, he struggled in the last games this season, but overall?)
sure, James has to improve in that area, but for a guy, who usually plays very intensive and aggressive on defense, he doesn't much worse than comparable prospects.
(I will write a few thoughts in the D.James thread)

admiralsnackbar
04-16-2010, 04:24 AM
you think James is that foul prone?
(yes, he struggled in the last games this season, but overall?)
sure, James has to improve in that area, but for a guy, who usually plays very intensive and aggressive on defense, he doesn't much worse than comparable prospects.
(I will write a few thoughts in the D.James thread)

Certainly not as bad as Ian, just in the category of potential liability if he allows more scoring than he can create by himself or clearly contest in others.

Anyway, thanks for the info, and yes... back to our scheduled Dexter Pittman coverage.

Biggems
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Butler was lazy, Pittman isnt. Pittman practices and hits the weightroom to improve. Butler coasted and that is why his career was nonexistent.

a late 2nd for Pittman is great value, and I believe he would be a steal. One thing is for sure, he would be a huge body to put on the court next to Blair, to counter balance the lack of height that DeJuan has.

ace3g
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Pittman returns home from combine, Brother shot, Killed

Dexter Pittman, a senior at Texas and former Longhorns center, left the NBA draft combine Friday.

His 16-year-old brother, Darius Johnson, was shot in the head and killed in a dispute in his garage in Houston on Thursday night, according to Pittman's agent Mark Bartelstein.

Johnson was one of three of Pittman's siblings. Pittman was informed that his brother was shot at 11 p.m. CT Thursday, and was told to fly home to Houston on Friday morning.

The NBA released a statement that Pittman would not participate in Friday's combine because of a family emergency.

Pittman arrived in Houston mid-morning Friday, where he was informed by his mother that his brother had died.

"I just feel terrible for him. Dexter has gone through so much to get to this point, he was in the best shape of his life, he worked so hard, and then this tragedy happens," Bartelstein said Friday.

Texas coach Rick Barnes, when reached by ESPN.com Friday, had not heard the news and when informed said he was crushed for his former player.

Pittman was in Chicago to prove he could be a viable second-round selection in the June NBA draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5207704

lurker23
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Pittman's measurements were impressive. If the NBA season started today, he'd probably be listed at 7'0", 300 pounds, with a 7'6" wingspan. :wow (Needs to lose some weight, though; highest body fat percentage in the entire combine :lol )

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2010&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=7

Bruno
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
^^ RIP :depressed

Spurs have a nice development tools with the Toros. They could decide to draft at #49 a player with some upside but who still need time to develop and work with him the whole year in Austin. A second round pick signed for the min will only cost $947K including the luxury tax next year.

I don't know if Pittman can be that player with upside but his size is intriguing.

wildbill2u
05-21-2010, 03:10 PM

If you draft Pittman, you probably upgrade the center position and can trade Blair.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Blair did this year, but he doesn't have much upside as a too short center. Matchups exposed his limited shooting scope and skills this year.

DesignatedT
05-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Damn that sucks. Hope hes alright

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
A Quick Note on Dexter Pittman
by Timothy Varner

Yesterday, I had a chance to talk with Dexter Pittman. We talked at length about DeJuan Blair. Blair, Pittman said, “is like a brother to me. He’s family.”

DeJuan Blair is something of a mentor to Pittman. They exchange texts and phone calls daily, and Blair is helping Pittman transition to the pros with a steady diet of advice and encouragement.

A few hours after Pittman and I finished our conversation, he was forced to return home. His actual brother, 15 year old Darius Johnson, was killed from a gunshot wound to the head (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5207704).

It’s impossible to say anything meaningful in the midst of such a sudden and horrific loss. Or at least it’s impossible for me to say anything meaningful. But one hopes the best for Pittman and his family. And one hopes that those closest to him, friends such as DeJuan Blair, can find the right words during this time.

scottspurs
05-21-2010, 04:10 PM
a quick note on dexter pittman
by timothy varner

yesterday, i had a chance to talk with dexter pittman. We talked at length about dejuan blair. Blair, pittman said, “is like a brother to me. He’s family.”

dejuan blair is something of a mentor to pittman. They exchange texts and phone calls daily, and blair is helping pittman transition to the pros with a steady diet of advice and encouragement.

A few hours after pittman and i finished our conversation, he was forced to return home. His actual brother, 15 year old darius johnson, was killed from a gunshot wound to the head (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5207704).

It’s impossible to say anything meaningful in the midst of such a sudden and horrific loss. Or at least it’s impossible for me to say anything meaningful. But one hopes the best for pittman and his family. And one hopes that those closest to him, friends such as dejuan blair, can find the right words during this time.

+1

Bukefal
05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
That's horrible. I hope he's good and makes it in the draft despite all of this.

duncan228
05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
NBA Draft Big Board: Top 75 Players (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/26/draft.big.board.1/index.html)
SI.com

50 Dexter Pittman
Texas, Senior
6-10, 310, 22 years old
C
Exceptionally strong big man who struggled with weight issues throughout his career. Has nimble feet in the post and solid offensive rebounding ability. Very efficient at 65 percent from the field. Not exceptionally versatile and will likely struggle on the defensive end. Confidence seems to waver significantly from game to game. Started season off strong, but was not productive at all down the stretch. Played only 19 minutes per game.

ChuckD
05-29-2010, 03:44 PM
His hand size, from the combine measurements, is just ridiculous. He's the only one I saw who had double digit inches size in both span and length. I think if he were in condition, he'd be a lottery pick. It's amazing to me that after all the time he spent at UT, he's still SO fat and SO out of condition.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 03:49 PM
If we didn't have Blair already I'd consider getting this guy, but one fat bastard is enough.

benefactor
05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
If we didn't have Blair already I'd consider getting this guy, but one fat bastard is enough.
:tu

BronxCowboy
05-29-2010, 04:44 PM

I tend to agree with you, but if he's still there at 49, could you really pass him up?

Dro210
05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I definitely like him as an option in the 2nd... but I just don't know.

Am I the only one that doesn't find it impressive that a 400 pounder lost 100lbs playing basketball over the course of an entire college career at an elite university? The guy still has over 20% body fat... I'm not impressed w/ his work ethic. 4 years, you could take the fattest man in the world and put him below 20%.

I do like his skills tho... Somebody that tall and that skilled, you have to take a look. If he's willing to REALLY put in some REAL work, he could be a problem in the future.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I tend to agree with you, but if he's still there at 49, could you really pass him up?Quite easily. I could see a guy like Pablo Aguilar replacing Bonner at 49.

Bukefal
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Dexter Pittman Headed to spurs workout. I'm in beastmode.
May 29 at 1:40pm via TweetDeck for iPhone · Get TweetDeck

ChumpDumper
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm in beastmode.Isn't that copyrighted?

outmap
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
If Blair will be packaged in a trade then he can be the perfect replacement. I'd be happy if the Spurs draft him.

Ocotillo
06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
If Blair goes to summer league this year, it would be interesting to see these two on the floor together.

DPG21920
06-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Blair is so much better than this dude imo.

Spurious
06-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm probably as big a Longhorn follower as anyone on the board, and I've love for Dex to make it on the Spurs. But I can't see any way for that to happen. As noted much earlier in this discussion, almost every part of his game is subpar, and that's after a tremendous amount of work. The only thing he really has in his favor is the size/strength package, and an overall lack of skill and endurance can't begin to make up for that. It will take a near miracle for him to be a serious factor in the NBA.