PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Cheese

Saul Silver
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
My favorite snack when I've got the munchies with a capital M. Just made two of em.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/grilled-cheese-invitatational-oakland.gif

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
WTF are you?

z0sa
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Grill cheese sandwiches kick some major ass.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

Saul Silver
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

I already ate them dude!

Dex
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I've made a lot of grilled cheese in my day, and this is the best combo I've been able to come up with:

-Homemade/Bakery White Bread (the stuff at the store works, but quality bread makes the difference)
-butter (not margarine)
-1 slice American cheese
-1 slice Monterrey Jack (or Pepper Jack)
-dash salt and pepper

Nom^3.

Of course, you can always add things like bacon or tomatoes for further flavory goodness.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I already ate them dude!

:lol

I've made a lot of grilled cheese in my day, and this is the best combo I've been able to come up with:

-Homemade White Bread (the stuff at the store works, but quality bread makes the difference)
-butter (not margarine)
-1 slice American cheese
-1 slice Monterrey Jack (or Pepper Jack)
-dash salt and pepper

Nom^3.

Of course, you can always add things like bacon or tomatoes for further flavory goodness.

Bread, butter and american cheese, 2 slices. That's it.

mrsmaalox
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
One of my favorites is a New Mexico-style grilled cheese made with Jack cheese, tomato, and Hatch green chiles.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Mmmm. Cheese.
Yuck. American "cheese".

Saul Silver
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Bread, butter and american cheese, 2 slices. That's it.

That's my recipe too. You wanna go see Phantom of the Opera on Friday? My bubby bailed on me and I got an extra ticket.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
That's my recipe too. You wanna go see Phantom of the Opera on Friday? My bubby bailed on me and I got an extra ticket.

Thanks, but I already have plans. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM

:lmao

do we have any consolation prizes, Wink?

leemajors
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I use olive oil instead of butter. No american cheese either.

Saul Silver
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, but I already have plans. :tu

It's cool I'm just gonna post an ad on craigslist and see if I can bait some fat chick in going with me. Then I can bring her back to my place and give her one of my grilled cheeses. If that doesn't get her pants off I don't know what will.

bus driver
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
It's cool I'm just gonna post an ad on craigslist and see if I can bait some fat chick in going with me. Then I can bring her back to my place and give her one of my grilled cheeses. If that doesn't get her pants off I don't know what will.

bacon with grilled cheese....now that sounds good

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I use fresh sourdough bread slices, 2 REAL american cheese slices (not that shitty "cheese food') thin sliced smoked canadian bacon (my home made stuff), real mayonnaise on the inside of the bread slices + coarse black pepper, olive oil on the outside of the bread, and cook them in the Panini press.

Life is good.

Cosmic Cocksucker
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I use fresh sourdough bread slices, 2 REAL american cheese slices (not that shitty "cheese food') thin sliced smoked canadian bacon (my home made stuff), real mayonnaise on the inside of the bread slices + coarse black pepper, olive oil on the outside of the bread, and cook them in the Panini press.

Life is good.

You left out the part about how you pay ATRAIN a prorated twelve cents an hour to make it for you.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm flattered you asked me.

If you meet a chick on Craiglist, wear a condom. :tu

SpursStalker
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
$3 for a grilled cheese here at my work's cafeteria.

:rolleyes

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Are you sure it has cheese in it? :lmao

The Gemini Method
03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
American cheese? Seriously? Naww...not for me!

I usually get two slices of Shepard's bread...slab some butter and grab slices of muenster and colby jack cheese...warm up a skillet until its red hot, place sandwich on either a baking sheet or the bottom of another skillet and place the heated pan on top for a few minutes...voila!

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I make my grilled cheese differently.
I take two slices of bread and butter those bad boys up
then I make a patty out of some ground beef
then I throw some mustard on that brizzead
then after the patty is cooked medium I throw that on the bread
then I take some pepperjack and lay two slices on the patty
then I throw in some grilled jalapenos
close that sumbitch up and eat it.

J.T.
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

that sounds like a cheeseburger on toast to me brah

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
that sounds like a cheeseburger on toast to me brah

NO NO NO, It's on toast so that makes it a grilled cheese! I just add some stuff to it for flavor. Like a 1/3 pound hamburger patty just for flavor.

Blake
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/grilled-cheese-invitatational-oakland.gif

I'm wondering what happens if that creepy kid doesn't get her grilled cheese

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm wondering what happens if that creepy kid doesn't get her grilled cheese

Amazing how much she looks like Ashbee.

bus driver
03-03-2010, 02:23 PM

:wow

4>0rings
03-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Grilled ham and cheese > grilled cheese

SpursStalker
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Sorry that's NOT a grilled cheese ...

:sleep

J.T.
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
NO NO NO, It's on toast so that makes it a grilled cheese! I just add some stuff to it for flavor. Like a 1/3 pound hamburger patty just for flavor.

I'll meet you halfway on this one. Grilled cheeseburger.

J.T.
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Amazing how much she looks like Ashbee.

:lmao

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Greg Oden
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
This sounds pretty good right now. It was either leftover popeyes or me dragging my ass to get a subway.

IronMexican
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Saul, I heard that's the best thing to eat after smoking a holy trinity.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
We were so poor growing up, my mom would make us tortilla grilled cheese sandwiches. :tu

IronMexican
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
We were so poor growing up, my mom would make us tortilla grilled cheese sandwiches. :tu

That's called a Quesadilla.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
That's called a Quesadilla.

In our house, its a grilled cheese sandwich.

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
In our house, its a grilled cheese sandwich.

In every other spanish speaking house it's a quesadilla.

IronMexican
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Fucking white people

Wild Cobra
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Mmmm. Cheese.
Yuck. American "cheese".
The thing with American Cheese, it it helps the melting process. Have it as the top layer cheese over your favorite cheeses. I use Cheddar and Swiss.

J.T.
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Don't tortillas cost more than bread? I don't do the shopping around here but I know bread costs less than a dollar if you buy the cheap shit.

JudynTX
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Don't tortillas cost more than bread? I don't do the shopping around here but I know bread costs less than a dollar if you buy the cheap shit.

Not homemade tortillas.

Dex
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
The thing with American Cheese, it it helps the melting process. Have it as the top layer cheese over your favorite cheeses. I use Cheddar and Swiss.

Wild Cobra knows whats up.

Not liking American cheese is...well...simply un-American. :downspin:

mrsmaalox
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I'll meet you halfway on this one. Grilled cheeseburger.

JT you were right in the first place. If he had put it on rye bread it would be a patty melt.

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Shit! Now I want a snack!

The Gemini Method
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm still lost at the tortilla/cheese=equalling tortilla gilled cheese...

Lackluster
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
gotta have ketchup with my grilled cheese :whine

The Gemini Method
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM
gotta have ketchup with my grilled cheese :whine

I like Srircha with mine...

Lackluster
03-03-2010, 05:33 PM

sir, i am in your debt. :tu

I. Hustle
03-03-2010, 05:38 PM

That sounds good. I might try that when I get home.

The Gemini Method
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Srircha makes amost everything taste better, no need to thank me!

florige
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Srircha makes amost everything taste better, no need to thank me!

I like to use provolone cheese when I make mine. Muenster cheese is good too.

The Gemini Method
03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I like to use provolone cheese when I make mine. Muenster cheese is good too.

I personally don't like the way provolone melts, but I do like it on my roast beef sandwiches. I love muenster for my melted sandwiches though...

David Bowie
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Grilled cheese is great when you also put avocado and tomatoe into it :)

symple19
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Grilled cheese sammies are the troof kid!!! I like mine with a bit of ketchup and some chips. Add in a pint of ale and you have the lunch of champions.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Grilled cheese sammies are the troof kid!!! I like mine with a bit of ketchup and some chips. Add in a pint of ale and you have the lunch of champions.

Put that ketchup nonsense away, Symple, its about the srircha and nothing else yo. The pine is definitely an accessory, though!

symple19
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Put that ketchup nonsense away, Symple, its about the srircha and nothing else yo. The pine is definitely an accessory, though!

okay, forgive me, but what is srircha? sounds interesting

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 11:31 AM
okay, forgive me, but what is srircha? sounds interesting

Next time you're in a Chinese fast food, Asian eatery, Pho house, Thai whore house--ask for it. It's a hot sauce that was first introduced to the world out of a Toyota minivan in Westminster, CA (The largest Viet population this side of the Gulf of Tonkin). It is really good and complements most anything consumable and even if you're into the kinkier stuff. It's versatile, yo.

http://baconsyrup.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

DisAsTerBot
03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
best grilled cheese ever = cheddar, ham, and apple on sourdough......holy shit! The apple slice absolutely rocks this sammich!!!!

lebomb
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
best grilled cheese ever = cheddar, ham, and apple on sourdough......holy shit! The apple slice absolutely rocks this sammich!!!!

That aint a grilled cheese sammich!!?? :nope You added too many ingredients.

tp2021
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Fucking white people

symple19
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Next time you're in a Chinese fast food, Asian eatery, Pho house, Thai whore house--ask for it. It's a hot sauce that was first introduced to the world out of a Toyota minivan in Westminster, CA (The largest Viet population this side of the Gulf of Tonkin). It is really good and complements most anything consumable and even if you're into the kinkier stuff. It's versatile, yo.

Nice, I can get a happy ending and a bottle of hot-sauce?!!! Count me in!!!

Must say though, my fave hot sauce is Tapatio

http://www.mymexicanstore.com/store/images/tapatio_sauce_10oz.jpg

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM

http://baconsyrup.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

I just buy mine at HEB. They have it.

symple19
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Fucking white people

:lmao:toast:tu

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 11:59 AM

I use Tapatio sparingly...It's not my favorite hot sauce, but I will use it especially on things like tostadas and/or cerviche. Other than that, I will usually go with Pico Pica or Tamazula hot sauces...

florige
03-04-2010, 12:06 PM

I just bought a huge bottle of that from Walmart not too long ago. What makes that so good is that it doesn't take away from the taste of the food.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Tapatio. Sriracha. :lmao those aren't hot sauces. Flavored ketchup is more like it.

symple19
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Tapatio. Sriracha. :lmao those aren't hot sauces. Flavored ketchup is more like it.

True, tapatio really isn't hot, but it does do a great job of enhancing flavor and not masking it. If I wanted super hot, i'd get some cajun shit.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Uh, no. It's not about the heat with Srircha. If I were aiming to mention heat I would name a number of sauces with the Bhut Jolokia pepper in it. It's used to accentuate the food, not make it a goddamn waste.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I use Tapatio sparingly...It's not my favorite hot sauce, but I will use it especially on things like tostadas and/or cerviche. Other than that, I will usually go with Pico Pica or Tamazula hot sauces...

Man, Californians sure do love their Pico Pica! I'm not big into the burning mouth thing so I don't use any of those--a drop or 2 of Tabasco sprinkled on my popcorn is about as far as I go.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Man, Californians sure do love their Pico Pica! I'm not big into the burning mouth thing so I don't use any of those--a drop or 2 of Tabasco sprinkled on my popcorn is about as far as I go.

Yeah, I won't lie...I like to test the limits of hotness when it comes to sauce. Most of the times, though, I use hot sauce to add to the taste of food and not overwhelm it. Oh man, I could go for some street tacos right about now. Do you San Antonians/Texans have the bacon-wrapped hot dogs out there?

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I won't lie...I like to test the limits of hotness when it comes to sauce. Most of the times, though, I use hot sauce to add to the taste of food and not overwhelm it. Oh man, I could go for some street tacos right about now. Do you San Antonians/Texans have the bacon-wrapped hot dogs out there?

We do at my house! Except that the hot dog is split down the middle and stuffed with cheese before the bacon goes on ;)

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Uh, no. It's not about the heat with Srircha. If I were aiming to mention heat I would name a number of sauces with the Bhut Jolokia pepper in it. It's used to accentuate the food, not make it a goddamn waste.

ghosts are good. Cajohn's has some good stuff.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
We do at my house! Except that the hot dog is split down the middle and stuffed with cheese before the bacon goes on ;)

ketchup on them is totally wrong, but bacon?

.............ok.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
ketchup on them is totally wrong, but bacon?

.............ok.

Why? Ketchup and bacon have nothing in common :huh

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
ghosts are good. Cajohn's has some good stuff.

I like referring to them by their actual name...lol

Yeah, the first time I experienced it was a local hot sauce shop and I took a taste test with the Ghost Chili being present on a piece of foccacia and throroughly enjoyed it. My co-worker on the other hand...he was dying for the rest of the afternoon. It was pretty entertaining and well, he made the dairy industry a tad bit richer in the process.

symple19
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah, the first time I experienced it was a local hot sauce shop and I took a taste test with the Ghost Chili being present on a piece of foccacia and throroughly enjoyed it. My co-worker on the other hand...he was dying for the rest of the afternoon. It was pretty entertaining and well, he made the dairy industry a tad bit richer in the process.

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
then you mean naga jolokia.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Why? Ketchup and bacon have nothing in common :huh

Forest. Not tree.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Forest. Not tree.

Well then using that "logic" hot dogs should only be eaten plain. That's crazy.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Well then using that "logic" hot dogs should only be eaten plain. That's crazy.

:dramaquee

:lol that's beautiful.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
then you mean naga jolokia.

Actually, both are names for the Ghost Chili...Bhut is the O.G. name for it, Naga is the more commonly used name. Either/or.

*If you want to go etymological on the chili's name...it is actually supposed to be Bhot Jolokia...Let's just refer to it as the ghost chili lol...

Wild Cobra
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Wild Cobra knows whats up.

Not liking American cheese is...well...simply un-American. :downspin:
I wouldn't go that far. I only like it melted with other cheeses. I will not eat it plain like I will other cheeses, or by itself on something.

Wild Cobra
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM

That stuff if fine if you're on a budget and just want hot. If you want flavor too, get something like Dave's Insanity (http://www.hotsauceworld.com/davgourinsau.html), Total Insanity, Ultimate Insanity, etc. Just add a few drops of this stuff, it will really light you up.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Actually, both are names for the Ghost Chili...Bhut is the O.G. name for it, Naga is the more commonly used name. Either/or.

*If you want to go etymological on the chili's name...it is actually supposed to be Bhot Jolokia...Let's just refer to it as the ghost chili lol...

let's

CuckingFunt
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Monte cristo sandwich > grilled cheese.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM

I want to argue Thread.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
quesadillas

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Never could find a monte cristo that I like...perhaps there's too much going on in the way of this sandwich. The grilled cheese is simplicity to its highest form...perhaps that's why it is universal while the Monet Cristo is more a niche. But damn both sound good when you haven't had lunch lol.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Never could find a monte cristo that I like...perhaps there's too much going on in the way of this sandwich. The grilled cheese is simplicity to its highest form...perhaps that's why it is universal while the Monet Cristo is more a niche. But damn both sound good when you haven't had lunch lol.

I had a monte cristo for brunch today that was heaven. Turkey, bacon, pepper jack, avocado, topped with a bit of syrup. If I weren't still full I'd dive into the leftovers right now.