PDA

View Full Version : Boy Directs JFK Air Traffic

mrsmaalox
03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/boy-directs-air-traffic-jfk-airport-caught-tape/story?id=9995927&page=1 <---w/video

Kid Controller Controversy:Boy Directs JFK Air Traffic
Controllers Suspended After Allowing Child to Instruct Takeoffs, Landings
By LISA STARK and KATE McCARTHY
March 3, 2010

JFK airport is one of the largest airports in the country, handling a thousand takeoffs and landings a day. But on Feb. 17 a child was caught on tape in the control tower directing air traffic and giving instructions to pilots.
Certified controller is suspended after letting son give pilots instructions.

"Jet Blue 171, clear for takeoff," the young boy said, according to audio recordings from LiveATC.net.

The pilot replied "Clear for takeoff, 171."

The child's father, who is a certified controller, brought his son to work with him but then put him to work as well, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

"This is what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school," the father said to a pilot.

"Wish I could bring my kid to work," the pilot responded.

Yet on the audio recording, the pilots appear more amused than worried.

"Jet Blue 171, contact departure," the boy said.

"Over to Jet Blue departure, 171. Awesome job," the pilot responded.

The young boy continued directing pilots for several takeoffs and landings.

"4-0-3, prepare for takeoff," the boy said.

"4-0-3, preparing for takeoff. Thank you very much, have a great day," the pilot responded.

"MS 4-0-3, contact departure, adios," the boy said.

"Adios, amigo," the boy said.

"Adios, amigo," the pilot responded. "Over to departure, Jet Blue 195."

The FAA, which hasn't released the names of the controlllers involved, is not treating this as a joke. It is investigating the controller, as well as a supervising controller. Both have been relieved of their duties, the FAA said.

"This behavior is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from FAA employees," the agency said in a statement.

The air traffic controllers' union echoed the FAA, saying in a statement: "We do not condone this type of behavior in any way" and said it does not represent "the highest professional standards controllers set for themselves."

bus driver
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
they played the audio tape on 1200 this morning, hopefully his dad was checking to make sure that the planes were clear to land and take off

thispego
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
they played the audio tape on 1200 this morning, hopefully his dad was checking to make sure that the planes were clear to land and take off

rofl. what you think his dad wasn't sitting there telling him everything to say? :lol

that was a pretty stupid ass move by the controller

xellos88330
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with a kid directing the air traffic as long as he was under the direct and immediate supervision of a certified controller with whom I have communication with to confirm the instructions.

It must have been an experience of a lifetime for the kid.

There weren't any crashes or anything. If the job is being done correctly, why does it matter who is doing it?

If the father was known for fucking up the job every now and then, he should be punished properly. If he was a shit hot controller, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Hell... I would hire the kid and pay him less if he learns the job well enough and I don't get sued. :D

thispego
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah that's a great idea, let's all have our kids do our work for us

that kids "experience of a lifetime" got his dad fired, and rightfully so

xellos88330
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah that's a great idea, let's all have our kids do our work for us
that kids "experience of a lifetime" got his dad fired, and rightfully so

Completely blowing things out of proportion there. Let me rephrase. If someone can do the job and do it well, why not let them do it? That is what I am trying to say. It doesn't necessarily involve only kids. Could be anyone. I mean hell... look at the greeters at wal-mart.

thispego
03-03-2010, 04:01 PM
yeah it was an exaggeration but if this guy lets his kid come to his work and do his job, then what's stopping every other parent from doing the same? guy should have known better, especially doing the job that he does.

MiamiHeat
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
this whole thing is blown out of proportion

i though it was cute and there was no danger involved.

thispego
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
lol, queer

mrsmaalox
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think too many of the people on those planes would think it was cute. And the only people really blowing it out of proportion is the FAA---good luck convincing them that it was cute.

nkdlunch
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
ppl are way to sensitive when it comes to aircraft traffic.

fraga
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Next we'll hear the audio tape of a small child answering a 9-1-1 call...

Caller: Oh god help me...
Kid: Herro....poopy gaga...
Caller: Please...send someone...he's trying to...
Kid: Uh oh...I made a no no...

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
How old was the kid? Sitting on his dad's lap parroting whatever instructions he gives sounds harmless enough but a kid being in a position to run amok in an air traffic control tower is a scary thought.

chode_regulator
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
If he was a shit hot controller, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
From what I've been reading on another forum, he was one of the best controllers at JFK.
Stupid, hell yeah. Dangerous. No.

Next we'll hear the audio tape of a small child answering a 9-1-1 call...

Caller: Oh god help me...
Kid: Herro....poopy gaga...
Caller: Please...send someone...he's trying to...
Kid: Uh oh...I made a no no...

apples and oranges brah. apples and oranges.

chode_regulator
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM

who is that in your sig?