PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker: I might not play this summer

duncan228
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Edit: McDonald turned this blog post into a column for Thursday. It's in post #52.

Parker: I might not play this summer (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/03/parker-i-might.html)
By Jeff McDonald

For the first time, Spurs guard Tony Parker is acknowledging publicly what he's been saying privately: There is a chance -- and possibly a good one -- that he does not play for France in the FIBA World Championships this summer.

A season-long bout with a laundry list of injuries -- from sprained ankles to plantar fasciitis to a strained hip muscle -- has Parker re-thinking his committment to the upcoming international competition. He admits the wear and tear of participating in Eurobasket last summer might have contributed to his injury-filled NBA campaign.

"I think it's finally catching up with me a little bit," Parker said before Wednesday's practice. "What it tells me is I'm going to have to make decisions about my priorities. At the end of the season, I'm definitely going to sit down and look at what happened this year, and make sure it doesn't happen again."

Parker has not completely ruled out playing for France this summer, but he admits he will have to think long and hard before committing to another grueling basketball summer. He will be heading into the final year of his contract, and says he is serious about returning his game to an All-Star level next season.

"I still want to play, because I still want to go to the Olympics (in 2012)," said Parker, who turns 28 in May. "But after (age) 30, it gets tough. I think what happened this year is going to affect my decision."

Parker is averaging 16.6 points and shooting 48.7 percent this season, his lowest numbers since 2004-05.

ducks
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
good

Brazil
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
This what all the french fans are saying since a while now, Parker is probably not going to play this summer. What it is funny is a parker is going to play this summer takes 20 pages, this one will have 3 max.

TDMVPDPOY
03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
lol contract year...

timvp
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
It better affect his decision.

We'll see what his priorities are. If he concentrates on the Spurs, I'd be for the Spurs extending his contract. If his priorities aren't on the NBA, trade him at some point next season and start the rebuilding process.

objective
03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
sounds more like he's considering not playing after the age of 30

in2deep
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
leading his team in the Olympics for his homeland is probably gonna be as high up there as being finals MVP of the National Basketball Association

France is also gonna have one of the strongest teams in its history. I say if you dream it, go for it Tony. You only got 1 life to live :tu

TDMVPDPOY
03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
leading his team in the Olympics for his homeland is probably gonna be as high up there as being finals MVP of the National Basketball Association

France is also gonna have one of the strongest teams in its history. I say if you dream it, go for it Tony. You only got 1 life to live :tu

and risk injury in a contract year? its all about the moolah

in2deep
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
and risk injury in a contract year? its all about the moolah

no risk no gain. Plus Eva can support his ass

TDMVPDPOY
03-03-2010, 03:58 PM

she dump his french ass once the money stops going in, divorce him and 50/50 watever his got and ask for alimony.....:nope

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
And suddenly Manu's overwhelming passion and patriotism isn't as important because it might risk his next contract, so the Spurs need to work on getting him back once it's too late for him to get on the national team.

sonic21
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

:huh

Brazil
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
sounds more like he's considering not playing after the age of 30

you have to read it again

"I think it's finally catching up with me a little bit," Parker said before Wednesday's practice. "What it tells me is I'm going to have to make decisions about my priorities. At the end of the season, I'm definitely going to sit down and look at what happened this year, and make sure it doesn't happen again."

He is not saying he won't play but he is clearly saying that at the end of this season he must make up his mind

Brazil
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
:huh
+1

Mel_13
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
This what all the french fans are saying since a while now, Parker is probably not going to play this summer. What it is funny is a parker is going to play this summer takes 20 pages, this one will have 3 max.

Probably true.

It's the difference between 'dog bites man' and 'man bites dog'. One story is considerably more interesting than the other.

In this article Tony accepts the obvious; that year round play could very well be a factor in this injury-filled season. He then makes a common sense statement that he is contemplating a summer without competitive basketball. Not much controversy here.

Now his comments about 2012 are interesting. Tony doesn't need to play this summer for France to qualify for 2012, but he will need to play in the Euro Championship in 2011. I'm sure he will try to get an extension this summer, but I'm equally sure that the Spurs will not share that interest.

So when the anticipated lockout begins after the 2010-11 season and continues through the summer, will Tony suit up for the FNT without the security of a guaranteed NBA contract?

Much criticism has been directed at NBA owners for not supporting the national team aspirations of players under contract. It will be interesting to see the reaction to players who refuse to play because they are unwilling to accept the same injury risk that has been shouldered by ownership to this point.

cd98
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
He's got too much pride to not be considered an All-Star. If he played this year like last, then he'd have been an All-star and we'd have a much better record.

Brazil
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Probably true.

It's the difference between 'dog bites man' and 'man bites dog'. One story is considerably more interesting than the other.

In this article Tony accepts the obvious; that year round play could very well be a factor in this injury-filled season. He then makes a common sense statement that he is contemplating a summer without competitive basketball. Not much controversy here.

Now his comments about 2012 are interesting. Tony doesn't need to play this summer for France to qualify for 2012, but he will need to play in the Euro Championship in 2011. I'm sure he will try to get an extension this summer, but I'm equally sure that the Spurs will not share that interest.

This is what everybody is trying to explain to our dear US fans. I don't think he will play this summer because the most important tournament is in 2011.

Bruno
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
On a side note, TP said a couple of days ago that his PF is getting better.

DaBears
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
For all his years of Exp.. TP still doesnt know how to pass the Ball...... He must have a no passing the ball clause in his contract.... Just think of how much better TP could be if he passed the ball... Shit think about how good everyone else around him could be...

HarlemHeat37
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
There are only 6 guys in the NBA with the same usage % or lower that average more assists than him..all of those guys either play in a faster system or a system that directly inflates their assists by giving them the ball in those situations..

His passing is fine, it has never been a problem at all for this team..

Dex
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
At least when Manu was playing for Argentina, they were a contender. It was hard for anybody to argue with him playing when he came home with the gold, or when he went back to defend it.

Parker is pissing away his Spurs career over a French National Team that will probably not even qualify, and will get quickly swept aside even if they do.

nkdlunch
03-03-2010, 04:56 PM
let the kid play.

Alain
03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Parker is pissing away his Spurs career over a French National Team that will probably not even qualify, and will get quickly swept aside even if they do.

Sure!
Parker, Pietrus, Batum, Diaw and Noah.
Scrubs and trade fodders, no more.

Brazil
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
lol

It is supposed to be a positive thread with spurs fans happy to see TP going in the "I won't play this summer" direction and it has been transformed in TP doesn't how to pass the ball

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 05:38 PM
lol

It is supposed to be a positive thread with spurs fans happy to see TP going in the "I won't play this summer" direction and it has been transformed in TP doesn't how to pass the ball

Actually it had one guy incorrectly stating that Parker couldn't pass who was immediately corrected. Stop whining about it and it'll die the death it should have five posts ago.

lurker23
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the new CBA influences how the Spurs approach TP's extension talks. Without any comment whatsoever on my part about Parker or his importance to his team, the Spurs might be reluctant to give him another 5 years starting in 2011-12, considering that's the same year player salaries are slated to decrease significantly.

mathbzh
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
At least when Manu was playing for Argentina, they were a contender. It was hard for anybody to argue with him playing when he came home with the gold, or when he went back to defend it.

France is obviously not a contender (I don't see them beating USA or Spain).
But they lost only one game (Spain) last year.
If you add Noah and Pietrus and with the kids (Batum, De Colo, Traoré, Diot and maybe Mahinmi or Beaubois) getting better with experience, this team could be good.

Brazil
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Actually it had one guy incorrectly stating that Parker couldn't pass who was immediately corrected. Stop whining about it and it'll die the death it should have five posts ago.

touché :toast

Dex
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
France is obviously not a contender (I don't see them beating USA or Spain).
But they lost only one game (Spain) last year.
If you add Noah and Pietrus and with the kids (Batum, De Colo, Traoré, Diot and maybe Mahinmi or Beaubois) getting better with experience, this team could be good.

I'm not saying the French team is terrible; they've got more talent than ever.

Still, until they can prove otherwise, they are still a tier behind the elite FIBA teams like USA, Spain, or Argentina. France might have an exciting run in them, but I'd be utterly amazed at anything more than that.

DesignatedT
03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
he better not play.

baseline bum
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I hope not. I really don't want the Spurs to be forced to trade Tony, but the ball is in his court this summer.

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I hope not. I really don't want the Spurs to be forced to trade Tony, but the ball is in his court this summer.

Agreed. This was the season the Spurs went deep into their pocketbooks because Parker wanted more talent, and he hasn't taken care of his end of the bargain.

Biernutz
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Tony said he might not play summer ball after a injury filled NBA season.
Coming up on a contract year?
Note* to Tony --see Manu's new contract...............

Chieflion
03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
So he is just saying there is still a chance he might play this summer. He should scratch that idea totally out of his head.

bigfan
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Its about time he smells the coffee.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
It better affect his decision.

We'll see what his priorities are. If he concentrates on the Spurs, I'd be for the Spurs extending his contract. If his priorities aren't on the NBA, trade him at some point next season and start the rebuilding process.

Yup, although I would have started the rebuilding process at the deadline by grabbing Thomas and starting to play Hairston and Mahinmi regular minutes.

Bruno
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
You see it seems like Tony is flip flopping this. I talked to sources close to Tony at the start of the season and it sounded like a done deal that he was not going to play this summer. Now I don't know. I'm still siding with my source that he won't play, but you never know when it comes to the French.

No offense Bruno.

I have no problem with Parker deciding not to play this summer.

Spursmania
03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
We'll see what he ultimately decides. I still think there's a good chance he plays this Summer, but I hope he doesn't.

ElNono
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I hope Ian doesn't play either. He's logging a lot of minutes as it is, and we need him fresh for next season.

timaios
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I have no problem with Parker deciding not to play this summer.

I think it will depend of the other french players.
IF all the best french players are agree to play together for the first time, (Noah + Batum + Pietrus + Diaw etc...) and IF Parker is healthy, I am 100% sure he will play the 2010 FIBA World Championship.
But Batum & Noah, because of their injuries this year, will have some problems to convince their clubs to play this summer.
And if Parker doesn't play, i think Diaw & Pietrus will not play either.

At the end, we will have a "B" team in the 2010 FIBA World Championship... And USA and Spain will play with all their best players as usual.

timaios
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Haha I meant the part about "you never know with the French."

So Brett Favre is french. :wakeup

scottspurs
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Please don't play Parker. If he plays he will get hurt and have another crappy season for the spurs and it could be goodbye to Parker after next season.

lurker23
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
So Brett Favre is french. :wakeup

"Favre was born in Gulfport, Mississippi, and raised in the small town of Kiln. He is of French and Choctaw ancestry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

:lol

Brazil
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
"Favre was born in Gulfport, Mississippi, and raised in the small town of Kiln. He is of French and Choctaw ancestry"

timaios
03-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Continue to think that way and you will realize that all americans are french ! :lol

ducks
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM

so if france had a chance to win it all
it would ok for you any how

it would not be for me

TIMMYD!
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I hope Ian doesn't play either. He's logging a lot of minutes as it is, and we need him fresh for next season.

Yeah, we don't want him worn out for next season.

ElNono
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, we don't want him worn out for next season.

I guess the joke was pretty lame. You're the first to pick up on it.

duncan228
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Column for Thursday.

Spurs' Parker might not play for France (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Parker_might_not_play_for_France.html)
Jeff McDonald

So far this season, Spurs guard Tony Parker has missed games with sprains to both his ankles, plantar fasciitis in his left foot, a strained hip muscle and food poisoning.

He chooses to look at the bright side of all this.

“I think I've already had everything,” Parker said. “The percentages have to be with me now.”

Given his season-long bout with seemingly every page in the New England Journal of Medicine, Parker is beginning to think maybe he shouldn't press his luck this summer.

Parker said Wednesday he hasn't yet ruled out playing for France in the FIBA World Championships in August, but for the first time strongly hinted he is considering skipping them.

“I think it's finally catching up with me a little bit,” said Parker, who played with France at Eurobasket last September. “What it tells me is I'm going to have to make decisions about my priorities. At the end of the season, I'm definitely going to sit down and look at what happened this year and make sure it doesn't happen again.”

That news should be well received by coach Gregg Popovich, who Parker says has already counseled him to spend the summer relaxing on a beach somewhere.

After a 2008-09 season that saw Parker set career highs in scoring (22 points per game) and assists (6.9 per game), make his third All-Star team and earn his first All-NBA honors, his production has slipped this season. He is averaging 16.6 points and shooting 48.7 percent, his lowest numbers since 2004-05.

Parker says his determination to return to an All-Star level will weigh heavily on how he decides to spend his summer.

“It's definitely going to affect my decision,” said Parker, who turns 28 in May. “I still want to play (this summer), because I still want to go to the Olympics (in 2012). But after 30, it would be tough.”

No soup for you: Parker says he's discovered the culprit for the bout of food poisoning that kept him out of Friday's loss at Houston — a bad bowl of tortilla soup he had the night before.

That delicacy now joins crème brulée, the French dessert responsible for keeping him out of Game 6 of the 2003 Western Conference finals, on Parker's “do not eat” list.

“I'm only going to eat Eva's tortilla soup,” Parker said, referring to his wife, Eva Longoria Parker.

Injury update: Antonio McDyess (sore left knee) and Keith Bogans (dislocated left ring finger) participated in non-contact portions of practice Wednesday and remain on target to play Friday against New Orleans.

spursfan09
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Please Tony don't play.

HarlemHeat37
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM

I guess the joke was pretty lame. You're the first to pick up on it.

Don't worry, I liked your joke Nono:cheer

spurspokesman
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
If only he thought like this a few years back. I know country pride is a few things but when an organization pays you millions of dollars the line must be drawn. Props to parker if he focuses on the spurs. Hopefully ginobilli does the same. :toast

ElNono
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
What's a tortilla soup anyways? No French Onion for Tony?

ElNono
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Don't worry, I liked your joke Nono:cheer

:tu

lennyalderette
03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
ive had enough of this international crap, if he doesnt realize how much he has messed up our chances with his injuries, right after manu messed up our chances the following year, TRADE HIS ASS BECAUSE HE HAVE HILL AND HE NEEDS TO DEVELOPE AND WE WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS CRAP ANYMORE. IF PARKER PLAYS TRADE HIM FOR A BAD ASS BIG OR A STAR PLAYER, LET HILL TAKE OVER AND WELL BE EQUALLY AS GOOD AND WELL BE SET UP IF WE GET A (BOSH) THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT, SIGN MANU BUT IF HE WANTS TO DO IT 2 WHEN IT CMES DOWNT TO IT TRADE HIM ALSO FOR A FREAKIN AMERICAN

anakha
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
TRADE HIM ALSO FOR A FREAKIN AMERICAN

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/wtf-copy1.jpg

Josepatches_
03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Nothing new.

He says the he wants to play but he might not play.So he could play or not.

If we go home in the first round I think he will play.

Anyway France is not going to qualify for the Olympics games this year with Tony or without him.The gold is the only ticket and it's for USA basketball.

They will have to qualify in the Eurobasket 2011 next summer where Tony will play for sure if he wants to be in London.

For example Pau isn't going to play with Spain because he won the world championship in Japan so he's not excited about same tournament again when you know you will be second at best so you will have to play next summer to qualify for the Olympic games anyway.

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 12:06 AM
It sounds like he probably won't play this Summer but is very likely to play the Summer after that? I don't see that as a victory for the Spurs nor do I see the difference. If he wants to play for his NT in the futureat all then I think we should trade him. A TP at full strength this year wold have been huge.

mavs>spurs2
03-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah because at this point I'm sure it matters, I mean if TP is rested and ready for next year, the spurs might be able to get that 6th seed!

NFGIII
03-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Finally TP actually spoke about his priorities! He really needs to sit down and think this one through. If he wants to play year round then the Spurs should shop him ASAP since at any moment he could go down and wind up as severely damaged goods. Patriotism not withstanding there comes a time where one isn't able to do everything. TP has honored his committment to the French NT but now is realizing the consequneces and maybe possible repercussions. Many have advocated that if he plays for the French NT then it's time to move on and trade him. If that happens then might as well move Manu and start the rebuilding process this summer.

If or when this happens we will witness a meltdown of epic proportions. Though it will be a sad day if it happens but also will be a very lively time at ST for weeks to come.

timaios
03-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I totally agree. Trade Parker... then the Spurs will be contender again !!!!!

:cheer:cheer:cheer

After this move it's obvious that :

- Duncan & Ginobili will be younger.
- Pop will be less stubborn.
- Splitter will be a Spurs.
- Jefferson will have a $6 mil contract in place of his $15,2 mil. :vomit:
- all the other (real) contenders will turn into trash.

Seriously, this team needs to start rebuilding... now !
A healthy and rested Parker will not change anything next year, he's not THAT good.

polandprzem
03-04-2010, 03:13 AM
I think Parker should have a clause in his contract to play 40 games a year then nobody would bich that he is playing basketball too much.

benefactor
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure why he is not giving a hard answer on this unless he is just being a drama queen. After all that has happened this season it's not a difficult decision to make.

Bukefal
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM

lol yeah

mathbzh
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not saying the French team is terrible; they've got more talent than ever.

Still, until they can prove otherwise, they are still a tier behind the elite FIBA teams like USA, Spain, or Argentina. France might have an exciting run in them, but I'd be utterly amazed at anything more than that.

I agree. But you can't blame the player for thinking they could go after a medal and maybe better.

Now, I am French. I am of those who think NBA player have the right to play for their country. But still, I think Parker should not play this summer.
He really needs some rest.

duhoh
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
There are only 6 guys in the NBA with the same usage % or lower that average more assists than him..all of those guys either play in a faster system or a system that directly inflates their assists by giving them the ball in those situations..

His passing is fine, it has never been a problem at all for this team..

:toast

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I totally agree. Trade Parker... then the Spurs will be contender again !!!!!

:cheer:cheer:cheer

After this move it's obvious that :

- Duncan & Ginobili will be younger.
- Pop will be less stubborn.
- Splitter will be a Spurs.
- Jefferson will have a $6 mil contract in place of his $15,2 mil. :vomit:
- all the other (real) contenders will turn into trash.

Seriously, this team needs to start rebuilding... now !
A healthy and rested Parker will not change anything next year, he's not THAT good.

We've seen the results this year when Parker plays in the Summer. Relatively, the team stinks. What are you suggesting?

timaios
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
We've seen the results this year when Parker plays in the Summer. Relatively, the team stinks. What are you suggesting?

I am saying that even with a full rested & healthy Parker, the Spurs have no chance to win another title.
It's time to rebuild.

tp2021
03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm only going to eat Eva's tortilla soup

:eyebrows

spurs10
03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure why he is not giving a hard answer on this unless he is just being a drama queen. After all that has happened this season it's not a difficult decision to make.
Exactly, it shouldn't be a very long evaluation.

Mel_13
03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I am saying that even with a full rested & healthy Parker, the Spurs have no chance to win another title.
It's time to rebuild.

If true, then trading Parker this summer is the logical course of action for the Spurs to pursue. An All-Star PG on an expiring contract should yield a nice combination of young players and draft picks.

DMX7
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
That little bitch better not play this summer. Tell him, Eva!!!

ShoogarBear
03-05-2010, 12:50 AM

FeZZy
03-05-2010, 03:37 AM
im just waiting till he gets hurt and trade him for someone else

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2010, 03:50 AM
lol@fans who want to get RID of parker

lol@french fans gettin all defensive....

BillMc
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
As a Spur fan, I don't want him to play. But I do appreciate that he wants to play for his country. Remember all the complaints here in the US that big name players SHOULD play for their country?

Plus the Olympics can change your career. It made Manu a lock (in my opinion) for the Basketball HOF with his gold medal and MVP. France isn't that good, of course...

Agloco
03-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Tony's made over 45 million to date. I seriously doubt Eva needs to lend a hand....

dbreiden83080
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
So you might not be injured all year next year..

Great thanks Tony..