View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Ed Davis

Bruno
03-03-2010, 04:55 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2009/0311/draft_090311_ED_DAVIS_REDO.jpg
Height: 6-9
Weight: 215 lbs
Birthday: 06/05/1989
College: North Carolina

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ed-davis)

DesignatedT
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
What's everyones take on him? After that latest rumor I figured I'd bump him.

I remember seeing him play a couple times. He seemed like a nice player but still pretty raw. He seemed pretty long and and very agile and athletic which could lead to him being a pretty solid defender but seemed pretty behind on everything else offensively.

Did the Spurs interview this guy?

MaNu4Tres
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
fwiw; My opinion on him

Ed Davis is one of the players in the draft that I think will end up a bust. His athleticism is overrated and he's very passive.

His game is similar to Brandan Wright's to an extent but Wright was the much better player coming out of UNC. IMO

Having said that I really hope Spurs don't use their biggest trading asset to acquire such a player.

I really hope this rumor is just ESPN trying to sell a story.

DesignatedT
06-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by MaNu4Tres View Post

Ed Davis is one of the players in the draft that I think will end up a bust. His athleticism is overrated and he's very passive.

His game is similar to Brandan Wright's to an extent but Wright was the much better player coming out of UNC. IMO

Having said that I really hope Spurs don't use their biggest trading asset to acquire such a player.

I really hope this rumor is just ESPN trying to sell a story.

Ouch.

SenorSpur
06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Wright and Davis are very diff players. Wright is soft, more skilled offensive player who is just to thin to play in the nba right now as a PF or C.

Davis has a much better motor, is a great defender and is humble. Hes not as skill on O as wright but he will be a much better player. I think chances of him being a bust are low, at worst I think hes a role player like his dad was......But I compare him to Al Horford of Atl with better offensive moves. That would be a nice pick up for us.

He mentioned during his interview on DraftExpress, that his dad, was an NBA player. What was his dad's name?

MaNu4Tres
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Wright and Davis are very diff players. Wright is soft, more skilled offensive player who is just to thin to play in the nba right now as a PF or C.

Davis has a much better motor, is a great defender and is humble. Hes not as skill on O as wright but he will be a much better player. I think chances of him being a bust are low, at worst I think hes a role player like his dad was......But I compare him to Al Horford of Atl with better offensive moves. That would be a nice pick up for us.

I disagree. Ed Davis is soft and passive, much like Brandan Wright.

It's funny how you believe he will be a 20 and 10 player when there's only a handful of 20 and 10 players in the league to begin with. By you saying that, necessarily means you believe he will be an All-Star and one of the best bigs in the game. I couldn't disagree more. He had a lot of hype coming to UNC and was less than impressive. I see him as a 9 and 5 guy by his 2nd or 3rd year in the league at best maybe 11 and 7. IMO

That's just my opinion on the guy. You have the right to have yours as well.

5in10
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
He also didnt play as well this year because he had terrible point guards. His offense is def way too raw to help us right now, but down the line i could see him as a 20-10 guy if he had the work ethic.

Cane
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
The Spurs do need an answer for athletic forwards ranging from Odom to Amar'e (which is a problem thats been underrated in the offseason discussion talks imo - even with Tiago the Spurs seem like they're going to still get abused by athletic PF/C's) and this rookie looks like he'd be the best option on the roster for them.

However this would be one hell of a trade for the Spurs and it'd likely require some hefty assets such as Blair + more; and I expect the Spurs would get back more than just a pick. It would also be interesting if the Spurs try and deal the #10 pick in some kind of CIA masterplan trade.

One could also take this as a sign that the Spurs are preparing for the event that they can't sign Tiago but I disagree. With Tiago and Duncan you have two good passing bigs then there's Ginobili as well - all of these guys should be able to find Davis whose game is based around on cutting and he'd add some much needed athleticism especially since the next athletic guy, RJ, is going to be gone by Feb.

Davis might turn out to be the most athletic shotblocker the Spurs have as well.

Doubt this happens, anyway here's a relatively negative take from an ESPN writer on Ed Davis:

Ed Davis
Davis has great shooting and rebounding numbers, but when you watch him, you end up expecting more than he actually delivers. His lack of strength means the rebounding numbers won't translate and getting post position is going to be a struggle. Davis is not the kind of athlete that is just going to get his buckets by cleaning up. Davis is too raw to go in the top seven picks.

SenorSpur
06-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Davis could very well be gone before the 10th pick, as some mocks having him going as high as 9th to the Jazz. Jazz are apparently set on taking a big and are said to be high on Greg Monroe. If he's not there, they could very well select Davis.

ceperez
06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
This is too telegraphed and out of the spurs f.o. character.

someone between 10 and 20 is their target but it likely not Davis.

ceperez
06-15-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree I think its Udoh.

A PF/C just with the similar measurements as Ed Davis. You would want other teams to believe that you plan on Ed Davis, so they take him instead of the one you really want. So, who's on this list?

Paul George
Patrick Patterson
Ekpe Udo
Hassan WhiteSide
Daniel Orton
Craig Brackins
Larry Sanders
Gani Lawal
Kevin Seraphin
Solomon Alabi

Who in this list has an NBA ready body?

Patrick Patterson - 240lbs
Ekpe Udo - 237lbs
Daniel Orton - 269lbs
Kevin Seraphin - 255lbs
Solomon Alabi - 237lbs

My hunch is its Seraphin. Simply because nobody has the opportunity to take a look at him after his claimed injury. On the other hand, he's sufficiently outside anyone else's radar that the Spurs don't need to get the #10 pick to get him. The only worry is if the Rockets take him ahead. The other two teams that tend to steal Spurs draft choices (i.e. Thunder, Blazers) draft after the Spurs.

Agree though that Udoh may be the likely target if we trade for the tenth pick. If not, then the 20th pick may likely be Seraphin or Alabi.

mountainballer
06-16-2010, 05:50 AM
considering who could fit well with Splitter in the future, the answer would be Udoh and not Davis. you want a PF, who can defend the perimeter and block shots (this both can do well) and who has a somehow reliable jump shot and can play the high post. this only Udoh can do.

ChuckD
06-16-2010, 07:29 AM
A PF/C just with the similar measurements as Ed Davis. You would want other teams to believe that you plan on Ed Davis, so they take him instead of the one you really want. So, who's on this list?

Paul George
Patrick Patterson
Ekpe Udo
Hassan WhiteSide
Daniel Orton
Craig Brackins
Larry Sanders
Gani Lawal
Kevin Seraphin
Solomon Alabi

Who in this list has an NBA ready body?

Patrick Patterson - 240lbs
Ekpe Udo - 237lbs
Daniel Orton - 269lbs
Kevin Seraphin - 255lbs
Solomon Alabi - 237lbs

My hunch is its Seraphin. Simply because nobody has the opportunity to take a look at him after his claimed injury. On the other hand, he's sufficiently outside anyone else's radar that the Spurs don't need to get the #10 pick to get him. The only worry is if the Rockets take him ahead. The other two teams that tend to steal Spurs draft choices (i.e. Thunder, Blazers) draft after the Spurs.

Agree though that Udoh may be the likely target if we trade for the tenth pick. If not, then the 20th pick may likely be Seraphin or Alabi.

Right, because they're going to spend another higher first rounder on a French dude with mad athleticism and little basketball experience outside of France.

Bruno reported that Seraphin did NOT play in that next game, so if you want to include the coaches and owners of a French team in your draft conspiracy, go right ahead.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 07:58 AM
been lots of 20/10 guys that are not stars

:lmao

MaNu4Tres
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
IF you think they are similar you are very misinformed...other than HT and Color and the fact they went to UNC they have nothing in common.

Uhh ...For one, Brandan Wright and Ed Davis are both post players without a face up game. They both have no mid-range, they both have no pick and pop game, they both had most of their offensive created for them in basket cuts off the ball when their teammate would penetrate, they both have very limited post moves. As a matter of fact the only move they really rely on in one on one situations is a lefty hook on the baseline from the right box and a left running hook in the paint coming from the left box; both very limited in those situations. IMO

Ed Davis has more bulk to defend in the post a little more effectively and is a better shot blocker, but Wright was still a good shot-blocker coming out of UNC. I'll give Davis the edge on the defensive end (even though that doesn't say much) but offensively there's a lot of similarities.

Is david lee an all star? do you consider zach randolph a star player? Davis is young, has a jumper, has a hook shot, can put it on the floor and get to the rim facing up. Is a good offensive rebounder and solid FT shooter.

Just wow...:lol Davis does not have a jumper and 66% from the foul line is not solid.

Without that jumper he doesn't have the space to put it on the floor and get to the rim as teams virtually let him shoot...I rarely saw him put it on the floor and finish outside of 8 feet from the basket. I couldn't disagree more.

And David Lee and Zach Randolph did make the All-Star team last year BTW.

Again He has the skill set to be a 20/10 guy.....been lots of 20/10 guys that are not stars.....

:lol

11/7 for a guy who before he got hurt was pegged as a top 3 pick. If he went back to UNC he would likely be the top pick next year.....If we get him at 10 that is a great deal.

He was a projected top 3 pick before his first year at UNC out of high school. He didn't live up to those expectations and he was overrated initially, that is why he will end up at 10 or maybe even the late teens. Him falling is not because of an injury to his wrist last season, it is because of his talent level.

Wait.....Your the guy who said we should sign Shaq with the full MLE right?

MaNu4Tres
06-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I can tell your not much of a basketball guy so Ill keep it short.

Maybe I'm not much of a basketball guy , but I saw Davis play against the top competition in the ACC for two years and I've developed an opinion on the player.

66% FT with a bad wrist for a college big is good dumb ass. I play with Davis every summer at VCU so I have seen he has a jumper out to 15ft. Most bigs in college dont by the way. Davis played well as a frosh because he was healthy.As a Soph. he had a bad wrist which hurts everything you do from passing to shooting ect...ect....

How many excuses are you going to use for the guy. The guy didn't hurt his wrist til mid-February in a game against Duke and had been healthy for all 20 + games before the injury occurred. After the Duke game he didn't play again that season. That wrist didn't effect any of his output his sophomore season.

And :lol at you claiming he played so " well" in his freshman season. The guy was a bench player, who not only shot 57% from the free throw line; which is not solid by any means, but he put up better numbers in every category his sophomore season ( even though his sophomore season was still disappointing given all the hype surrounding the player coming in.)

Go look at all of his scouting reports and see what they have to say about his mid-range and overall offensive skill-set. But no the professional scouts can't be right, because Texas 2 Step saw him make a 15 footer in a pick up game.

Who gives two shits if you played at VCU, or if you played with him at VCU in the summer. Maybe all the professional scouts should stop assessing Davis' game and just come talk to you and take your word for it and draft him #1, since he probably will be the only 20 and 10 player in the draft.

Here's a little excerpt from DraftExpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/

"Offensively, Davis remains extremely raw, being mostly limited to finishing plays in the immediate area around the basket and having a difficult time creating his own shot. His lack of strength makes it tough for him to establish position deep in the post and finish through contact in traffic, something that forces him to settle for difficult shots outside of his comfort zone. His footwork is raw and he avoids his right hand like the plague (he’s left-handed), not looking all that impressive when forced to improvise on the fly, and having a very difficult time against more physical defenders."

"You’d like to see him develop somewhat of a mean streak to compensate for his average skill-level, as it would make it much easier for him to get on the floor in the NBA early on in his career. That’s not really the type of player he is, though."

"Facing the basket, Davis has a long ways to go, as his ball-handling skills are close to non-existent and he lacks significant range on his jump-shot. He’s taken only four jumpers all season long according to Synergy Sports Technology, and you can tell why for the most part when looking at the ones he did attempt."

"Davis must continue to work on honing his perimeter game and become at least a respectable mid-range shooter to reach his full potential down the road, as he’s probably not going to make a living as a banger early on in his career. At the moment he’s obviously more of a center than a power forward on the offensive end of the floor, which made him a less than ideal front-court pairing at North Carolina with the similarly interior oriented Deon Thompson."

"Now that we’ve had 23 games to evaluate him in a fairly significant role, it’s easier to confidently assert that he’s more likely to emerge as a complimentary scorer than as a real go-to guy."

But then again you saw in pick up games at VCU. Wow what idiots they are over there at DraftExpress.

My point about Lee and Randolph>>>>>>>>ARE THEY STARS? NO! They are solid player which is my point ED may never be a star but a solid 20/10 like Lee and Randolph yes.

You are the wise one who claimed that there's a lot of players that put up 20 and 10 in the league that aren't stars. That comment really explains most of your opinions; which most I don't agree (R.J will resign with the Spurs; we should sign Shaq with the MLE;ect.)

Go study for your SOLs kiddo......As for the Shaq comment He was an option should we not improve via the draft and Splitter.

This kiddo and dumbass believes Shaq is a horrible option. How you are even considering him to be an option for the MLE justifies how blind you can be;with all due respect, all mighty one that plays most of his minutes in the summer at VCU. The guy has lost all mobility and is a liability on the defensive end as well on the offensive end now that he can't effectively run the pick and roll ( which is the Spurs bread and butter now a days with Manu and Tony). The guy should have retired 2 years ago and can't move any more.

But your dumb ass would rather resign Bonner and lett 36yrold Dice who is 6-9 and played like shit all season continue to stink it up.

You obviously don't know me too well. I have never stated I would rather resign Bonner. You are putting words in my mouth and making shit up like you have been about your whole biased take on Ed Davis, just because you played a few pick up games with him.

Shaq is still 7-1 still can clog a lane which we cannot do at all right now, and can score with his back to the basket giving TD the option of playing High or resting and not taking the beating post player take.

Maybe we should try to talk Artis Gilmore out of retirement. As you said He's a legit 7-2 that can clog the lane, and he can help TD play high.

Truckules
06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
He's too passive and soft. I've watched this guy completely disappear when the game got tough. If you get physical with him, he backs off. He's not a bad player, but he's not what I would want, and I certainly wouldn't want to trade Tony at a chance to get him. I want someone who will help in the playoffs when the basketball gets rougher, and I don't think that's him.

Chieflion
06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
If we really want to draft a big by moving up in the draft, there are only 2 guys I want. I stand by my opinion that this is a 4 man draft and that DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors are the only 2 legit bigs that stand out is part of that 4 man draft. Cousins' mobility and skill is unbelievable. People say things like, "Oh, he is just using his size to punish his competition." Give me a break. We have never seen such a skilled post player, freshman big out of college, a teenager, at age 19, drafted in this decade. Maybe I have been hyping Cousins too much in this post, but come on, lets face it. Good in-game mobility with good post moves and superb rebounding ability. This makes him already a top big in this draft and he still has a lot of potential.

And Favors is a good big with elite athletic ability. Although his athletic ability is a tad below Howard and Stoudemire's, but I don't think a huge difference can be made. This guy can be a really good big once he learns some advanced post moves. He already has a soft touch which can't be taught and has good efficiency for his games at college.

In conclusion, I am not for receiving the 10th pick if we are going to draft a big with it.

MaNu4Tres
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM