PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Greg Monroe

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/seth_davis/12/14/xavier.henry/greg-monroe.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 247 lbs
Birthday: 06/04/1990
College: Georgetown

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Monroe-1109/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/greg-monroe)

mountainballer
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
top of my wish list. there is maybe a small chance he falls to #20. (should be a sure fire top 10 IMO).
scouts criticise his lack of athleticism. should consider that he is just 19. he will never become a top athlete, but I'm sure in about 3 years he will be a decent one, even for NBA standards.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
big surprise. Hoyas out in the 1st round. Monroe had decent numbers (19points/13 rebounds) but also to many TOs and finally fouled out.
he said after the game, that he leans to returning to school next season.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah this first round bust drops his draft value. Plus it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to go out like that.

Still it's tough to pass up a million dollars.

next years draft likely hasn't as many big men in the pool, especially not in the 7 foot department. and Monroe still is very young. (turns only 20 in June)
if he thinks he can further improve physically, he might jump from the #10-15 region to top 5, then he will win a lot of $ in the long run.

AFBlue
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Most competitors that lose like that have a first instinct to return. But he'll do the smart thing and declare without hiring an agent, work out for some teams, gauge his draft status and if it's high enough (lottery)...he'll declare for good.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Most competitors that lose like that have a first instinct to return. But he'll do the smart thing and declare without hiring an agent, work out for some teams, gauge his draft status and if it's high enough (lottery)...he'll declare for good.

maybe. could be good news for us. the chance that he falls to our region might have increased from 5% to 10%.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah this first round bust drops his draft value. Plus it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to go out like that.

Still it's tough to pass up a million dollars.

Maybe, but if you watched the game I think you'd agree the loss wasn't on him - the team dug a hole for itself in the first half they couldn't climb out of, while he was playing very well.

The strange thing about Monroe is how when he runs he makes it look like his feet are in concrete boots - he has very heavy legs. Odd. Nice, smooth player though and should be a decent NBA player. Hope he stays in school another year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I will also say that Monroe could be more forceful in trying to influence the game, but I don't see him as a star player - he's more the solid role-player type to me, so expecting him to carry the team doesn't make a lot of sense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
The thing is, if a team goes deep into the NCAA tournament the star player's draft value goes up, and a first round bust keeps it at the same. Monroe has high value, but other players will increase their value here in a few weeks.

Think of Steph Curry. Had Davidson lost in the first or second round a couple years ago do you really think he would be a top 10 pick in this draft? It seems less likely because he wouldn't have made a name for himself like he did. But he still would have been a first round pick for sure.

Actually, I think Steph would have gone top 10 either way because he had an awesome regular season (28.6ppg! 5.6apg), and you can rest assured that there were NBA scouts at a lot of those games.

Sure, MM can raise your draft stock, but for the really good prospects I don't think it affects too much.

Either way, Monroe is likely to be off the board before our pick, and I think we are in more dire need of an athletic wing anyway.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Eh, it isn't unheard of for a small school player to lead the nation in scoring. Look at Kurt Thomas. Yet I agree about the needs. I'll be interested in what happens this summer. Especially if there is a lock out.

The CBA runs to the end of the 2011 season, so the lockout will occur then, not this year.

Also, Monroe may not even opt into the draft this year. He might give it one more year in College, and that would be fine by me. If he does, he really ought to get with the tennis squad and do their foot quickness drills. How can such a naturally skinny guy (he's put weight on this year, but he's only gone from skinny to average build) have such heavy feet?

Mr. Body
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I will also say that Monroe could be more forceful in trying to influence the game, but I don't see him as a star player - he's more the solid role-player type to me, so expecting him to carry the team doesn't make a lot of sense.

Agree completely. He's very passive at times, questioningly so. He has nice talent in a lot of ways -- ball handling, passing, shot blocking -- but isn't a post presence and fails to really dominate. He could be a good complementary player for an established team.

mogrovejo
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
The CBA runs to the end of the 2011 season, so the lockout will occur then, not this year.

Also, Monroe may not even opt into the draft this year. He might give it one more year in College, and that would be fine by me. If he does, he really ought to get with the tennis squad and do their foot quickness drills. How can such a naturally skinny guy (he's put weight on this year, but he's only gone from skinny to average build) have such heavy feet?

Monroe will enter this draft unless he somehow gets signals his stock is nose-diving (something I can't see a reason for happening). It'd be difficult for him to improve his stock by staying another year in school and there's the threat of a lock-out for 2011.

This guy is so weak elevating off the floor and moving laterally. It's a shame, because he actually has quick feet and runs the floor very well plus he's certainly the most talented big I've seen in college games this season.

Mr. Body
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
A lot of rumors have him going back to school.