PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Ekpe Udoh

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/seth_davis/01/04/stock.report/ekpe-udoh.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 240 lbs
Birthday: 05/20/1987
College: Baylor

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ekpe-Udoh-1220/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ekpe-udoh)

AFBlue
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
This guy has been a revalation for the Bears, and has probably been THE reason why they're hovering around the top 25 all season. Baylor has always had scoring guards, but what they lacked was a strong defensive presence in the middle.

Given the depth of F/Cs, there's a strong possibility Udoh would be available in the mid-late first round.

mountainballer
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
repeat what I said in the draft thread:
if Blair and Splitter are 2 pieces of a future front court, Udoh looks like a very good complementary player for both.
(but I'm still a Monroe fan in the first place, but he likely won't fall to #20. on the other hand, who knows. we have seen Splitter and Blair fall down the board. Monroe might make it 3)

Mal
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Spurs won`t draft big. Look at hole, on backup PG spot. Backup PG will be the target

AFBlue
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
If I had to choose between Whiteside, Sanders, Udoh and Varnado (athletic shot-blockers)...I think I'd honestly go with Udoh. Unlike the other three, Udoh already has an NBA-ready body to go along with his NBA-ready defensive game. Probably the most promising is that he's still a raw offensive player with room to improve.

AFBlue
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Spurs won`t draft big. Look at hole, on backup PG spot. Backup PG will be the target

Despite being the "John Wall draft", PG is probably the weakest and most shallow of all positions in the draft. If they used a mid-first to draft a PG, it would likely be a reach.

Conversely, there are no less than 10 forward prospects that warrant consideration in that draft range.

I would also argue that the Spurs have need for youth and athleticism throughout the entire roster...not just at PG.

mountainballer
03-03-2010, 06:37 PM

ah yes. this is a draft that is super deep at the power positions and totally thin at PG and the wing. yeah makes sense to pass a good big man prospect for an average back up PG.

Brazil
03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
ah yes. this is a draft that is super deep at the power positions and totally thin at PG and the wing. yeah makes sense to pass a good big man prospect for an average back up PG.

no need for an average back up PG we have De Colo

benefactor
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
The Spurs will likely go vet minimum for a backup point this offseason.

Udoh would be a solid pick, but I seriously doubt he falls that far.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Udoh would be a solid pick, but I seriously doubt he falls that far.

Tough to say at this point. Here is the list of F/Cs with a legitimate shot at being drafted in the top 20...

Favors
Cousins
Davis
Aldrich
Monroe
Patterson
Whiteside
Montiejunas
Vesely
Sanders
Udoh

I'd also give an outside shot to Pittman, who could probably be a workout wonder (lose 20lbs pre-draft, etc.).

That's 11 (possibly 12) players who warrant consideration in the draft range. I'm not saying it's impossible for all 11 (or 12) to get drafted before the Spurs pick, or that Udoh is the one that falls...

I'm just saying that there's a chance at least one of them falls, and it could be a guy like Udoh who it seems doesn't have the "wow" factor attached to his name.

mogrovejo
03-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Are you watching him playing Texas? This guy's good. Very fluid and lots of flair for a guy of his size. I thought he was a defensive minded big with a very limited skill-set, but in this game he's done a little of everything offensively. He even reminded me a little bit of Diaw.

That #24 guard is a good player for an European team. Not sure of what level yet.

mountainballer
03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
one or two good bigs will fall to #20 and there is a good chance it could be Udoh. I'm hoping for Monroe, but this is likely a stretch. (just to talented and with that size, he will be picked top 10)
Udoh looks more and more like a very nice complementary player to all other current bigs AND future bigs. Splitter - Blair - Udoh really offers many nice options on offense and defense.

mountainballer
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
huge game of Udoh in the 1st round.
20 points (9-16), 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks

kbrury
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
huge game of Udoh in the 1st round.
20 points (9-16), 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks

Terrible Defense by Udoh though

mountainballer
03-20-2010, 07:05 PM
hard work for Baylor against Old Dominion.
Udoh didn't play well. bad shooting (2-7), bad rebounding. stock down.

AFBlue
03-22-2010, 12:11 AM
hard work for Baylor against Old Dominion.
Udoh didn't play well. bad shooting (2-7), bad rebounding. stock down.

He'll have a big test in defending Omar Samhan, one of the hotter post players in the Tourney. Should be interesting to see...

mountainballer
03-22-2010, 04:34 AM
He'll have a big test in defending Omar Samhan, one of the hotter post players in the Tourney. Should be interesting to see...

Baylor will likely put the much bigger Lomers on Samhan, with Udoh as occasional help.

AFBlue
03-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Baylor will likely put the much bigger Lomers on Samhan, with Udoh as occasional help.

Lomers plays maybe 15-20 minutes per game. Acy usually comes off the bench as a PF and Udoh slides to C. He may not start out on Samhan, but I think he'll log a bunch of minutes against him.

mountainballer
03-29-2010, 04:19 AM
really impressive overall numbers from Udoh (except shooting) against Duke.
but he also was a big reason for the loss IMO. his two misses when Duke turned the game and his subpar rebounding and defense in several situations down the stretch were crucial for the loss. he obviously still lacks strength and gets pushed around to easy.
however. this guy definitely has got some skills few guys of that size can offer. (and it's the kind of skills that lock even better in work outs)
I'm pretty sure he will be picked in the lottery, maybe even top 10.
(Jazz would have good reasons to pick him at #9. they can use a mobile big and competent shotblocker alongside Millsap for the future. especially with Kirilenko's contract expiring 2011)

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 04:24 AM
I can see him going top 10. He has tons of potential along with phenomenal athleticism and a real heart to win.

mogrovejo
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
really impressive overall numbers from Udoh (except shooting) against Duke.
but he also was a big reason for the loss IMO. his two misses when Duke turned the game and his subpar rebounding and defense in several situations down the stretch were crucial for the loss. he obviously still lacks strength and gets pushed around to easy.
however. this guy definitely has got some skills few guys of that size can offer. (and it's the kind of skills that lock even better in work outs)
I'm pretty sure he will be picked in the lottery, maybe even top 10.
(Jazz would have good reasons to pick him at #9. they can use a mobile big and competent shotblocker alongside Millsap for the future. especially with Kirilenko's contract expiring 2011)

It's impossible to evaluate his rebounding+defense correctly when they're playing zone so much. I tend to agree with you - it seemed a lot of ball-watching was going on - but I'm not sure. I think he's a better rebounder than he looked vs. Duke.

Curiously, I was left with more questions about his offensive game after the tournament.

Are you watching him playing Texas? This guy's good. Very fluid and lots of flair for a guy of his size. I thought he was a defensive minded big with a very limited skill-set, but in this game he's done a little of everything offensively. He even reminded me a little bit of Diaw.

That #24 guard is a good player for an European team. Not sure of what level yet.

Unlike most, my opinion about his skill-set as an offensive player got worsen after the tournament.

mogrovejo
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
NBA teams will look hard at his off-the-ball game. That will probably dictate his draft position. Udoh seemed to me a very ball-dominant player.

DesignatedT
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Udoh can flat out play D. he can handle the ball pretty well for a big man also.. wouldnt be a bad option.

AFBlue
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I think his last tourney game went a long way to showcasing his versatility (did I really see him Iso at the top of the key at one point?), and I think it will help him come draft time.

He'll be one of several options for big men in the top half of the first round if he declares.

yavozerb
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
This kid will definatly go lottery..next

exstatic
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
This kid will definatly go lottery..next

Yeah, I think DX has him in like the low teens now, maybe 13 overall. We'll never pull that.

AFBlue
04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Him elevating just means someone else drops...and as much as I'm a fan of Udoh, I don't know that a 23yr old incomplete F/C is the best fit for the Spurs right now. So his rise up the draft boards is most likely a positive for the Spurs.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Him elevating just means someone else drops...and as much as I'm a fan of Udoh, I don't know that a 23yr old incomplete F/C is the best fit for the Spurs right now. So his rise up the draft boards is most likely a positive for the Spurs.

Yeah, 23 YO projects are a drag.

Mel_13
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Baylor Bears junior forward Ekpe Udoh, projected as a possible lottery pick, announced Tuesday that he will enter the June 24 NBA draft.

Udoh has not hired an agent, meaning he can withdraw his name by May 8 and retain his final year of college eligibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5082895

AFBlue
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Baylor Bears junior forward Ekpe Udoh, projected as a possible lottery pick, announced Tuesday that he will enter the June 24 NBA draft.

Udoh has not hired an agent, meaning he can withdraw his name by May 8 and retain his final year of college eligibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5082895

Quick note on Udoh...ESPN DFW is reporting that even though he hasn't hired an agent, he stated that he intends to do so...forfeiting his eligibility to return. He just hasn't made a decision as to who will represent him.

Mr. Body
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
There's no sense in him returning. He's old for the draft class and showed quite a bit of promise in the Tournament. I like him a lot but maybe not for this team.

mountainballer
04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
There's no sense in him returning. He's old for the draft class and showed quite a bit of promise in the Tournament. I like him a lot but maybe not for this team.

by "this team" you mean the Spurs? I would think he would be a nice fit next to either Blair and Splitter. (but he will be picked in the lottery anyhow.)

Mr. Body
04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
by "this team" you mean the Spurs? I would think he would be a nice fit next to either Blair and Splitter. (but he will be picked in the lottery anyhow.)

Yeah, I guess if you throw Mahinmi out. With McDyess there he'd compete with Blair for minutes. I like him a lot though.

Blackjack
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
For the record, anyone who wants the Spurs to get Anthony Randolph wants the Spurs to draft Ekpe Udoh.

As in you think they're comparable talents, or are you talking about some kind of deal that would involve them?

Blackjack
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I can see a bit of a comparison, as in there kinda in that Odom mold, but Randolph's talent and upside is just on another level, IMO. Plus, he's not even 21 yet.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
This guy would be great if the Spurs could actually draft him.

yavozerb
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
I can see a bit of a comparison, as in there kinda in that Odom mold, but Randolph's talent and upside is just on another level, IMO. Plus, he's not even 21 yet.

He's actually 23 y/o, thats one of the few negatives about him.

lurker23
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
He's actually 23 y/o, thats one of the few negatives about him.

I think he was referring to Anthony Randolph, born July 15th, 1989.

yavozerb
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I think he was referring to Anthony Randolph, born July 15th, 1989.

My bad, I think your correct...

Blackjack
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Yuppers. I was referring to the fact that Randolph is the better talent and younger as well.