PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Solomon Alabi

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/solomon_alabi_dunk.jpg
Height: 7-1
Weight: 251 lbs
Birthday: 03/21/1988
College: Florida State

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Solomon-Alabi-551/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/solomon-alabi)

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Here is another guy I'll throw into the long, athletic shot-blocker mix. He has probably the most impressive physical profile of all the candidates, but he has easily been the least productive of the group.

Alabi is the epitome of a "project" Center, and I can't help but draw comparisons to a player the Spurs have apparently given up on in Ian Mahinmi (good FT shooter, excellent touch around the basket, underperforming rebounder). So why would the Spurs go this route?

As the old addage goes...."you can't teach size". At 7'1 250 with a solid frame, Alabi definitely has that. And by all accounts Alabi is a hard worker and very coachable. That is likely to intrigue teams that are willing and able to let someone like Alabi continue his development in the d-league for a year or so.

With all the other options likely out there, this one has to be toward the bottom...but the Spurs could definitely do worse.

mountainballer
05-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Alabi delivered some of the worst athletic tests ever.
never labeled atheltic, quick or agile, but jesus, he makes Aaron Gray look like a gazelle.

No step vert: 22.5 (Gray: 27.0)
Max vert: 26.0 (Gray: 32.5)
Bench press: 10 (Gray: 17)
Lane agility: 13.2 (Gray: 12.07)
3/4 court sprint: 3.68 (Gray: 3.70)

he has very good size and every team also has some use for a big space eater in the middle, but I'm not sure he will be drafted in the 1st round, as many mocks predict.

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Alabi makes Cousins' weight problems a non-issue. Cousins is rooted the ground with a 27.5 max vert, and this guy is worse.

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2010, 03:08 AM
http://presentoutlook.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/this_too_shall_pass.jpg

FeZZy
05-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Can we say Ian 2.0

benefactor
05-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Something tells me this guy is going to be on the wrong end of a lot of posters in the NBA.

BronxCowboy
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Pretty disappointing for Alabi. Probably drops out of the first round, IMO.

Bruno
05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
What mostly sucks in Alabi athletic testing results isn't the lack of jumping ability but the slowness shown in sprint and lane agility drills. A lack of mobility isn't easy to overcome in the NBA.

BronxCowboy
05-29-2010, 04:48 PM
No way this guy drops out of the first round.

There are plenty of guys with size that don't make it in the NBA. Alabi is already a project type, not that skilled. If he had the tools he was billed to have (size AND athleticism) you would be right about him. But if he's just a big stiff, and it seems like he might be, why would anyone ever play him? And if you're never going to play him, why would you take him in the first round (Ian Mahinmi jokes aside)?

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Strange how this guy is projected to go in the first round of most mocks. Sounds like he'd be more of a reach.- unless teams wait to take him in the 2nd round.

Mr Bones
06-17-2010, 11:59 AM
His interviews make me think he's a good guy that would work hard and be coachable, but I'm still inclined to think that Hassan Whiteside would be a better project than Alabi. I can see Whiteside being a taller and longer version of Chris Andersen, Marcus Camby, or Tyrus Thomas-- similar to those guys in defensive help and headcase/headache moments for a coach-- but Whiteside had double the blocks, a better block/foul ratio, and was a much better rebounder than Alabi in college... and chances are he'll add 10 lbs in the future.

Sidenote: It's strange that Draftexpress still lists players at their reported weight at the top of their profiles, even though just below are the actual measurements from the draft combine. In Alabi's profile, his weight is listed at 251, and then below it says 237. Whiteside's profile says 235, with actual weight being 227.

AFBlue
06-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Strange how this guy is projected to go in the first round of most mocks. Sounds like he'd be more of a reach.- unless teams wait to take him in the 2nd round.

I read somewhere (think it was ESPN) that Alabi was recovering from ankle surgery or maybe just a sprained ankle and that was the reason he performed poorly on the timed agility and vert drills.

Not sure if that's true, but it would explain why he's still in the conversation for mid-late first round.

ChuckD
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I read somewhere (think it was ESPN) that Alabi was recovering from ankle surgery or maybe just a sprained ankle and that was the reason he performed poorly on the timed agility and vert drills.

Not sure if that's true, but it would explain why he's still in the conversation for mid-late first round.

OK, what's the reason that a 7 footer with a 7'5" wingspan blocks only 2.3 shots (Whiteside blocked 5.4) and grabs a pathetic 6.2 boards? Did he have ankle issues all year?

BUST

AFBlue
06-17-2010, 10:28 PM
OK, what's the reason that a 7 footer with a 7'5" wingspan blocks only 2.3 shots (Whiteside blocked 5.4) and grabs a pathetic 6.2 boards? Did he have ankle issues all year?

BUST

Wasn't commenting on his in-season performance.

AFBlue
06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
From Chad Ford's latest mock draft, has the Spurs taking Brackins over him, but does have the Spurs showing interest...as seen with this qoute for Alabi:

The Raptors, Celtics, Spurs, Thunder, Heat and Blazers are all showing interest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-100622

Mr. Body
06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
DX has us picking him at #20 now.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 03:10 AM
DX has us picking him at #20 now.

u beat me to it

timvp
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Alabi is another bigman project that could be Austined for a couple of years. Personally, I'm not a big fan. I think he's too stiff and his lack of production this year makes me doubt he could ever be anything other than an average backup center.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Is it wrong to draft a player that David Robinson could currently outjump?

duncan228
06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Mock Draft: After Wall, Plenty Of Uncertainty In First Round (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-mockdraftafterwallpl)
SportingNews

20. San Antonio. Solomon Alabi, C, Florida State. Perhaps the Spurs will be able to move up in the draft, but if they keep this pick, they’re likely to go big with Alabi, Orton or Whiteside.

ChuckD
06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd rather trade out of the first than draft this kid. Everything about him is underwhelming.

The Franchise
06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd rather trade out of the first than draft this kid. Everything about him is underwhelming.

What is underwhelming?

His size? 7'1 250lbs.
His reach? 9.5
His shotblocking? 2.5 bpg in 25 minutes!
His defense? Anchor for the best Defensive team in the NCAA.
His mobility? Has good lateral quickness for someone his size. He loves to run the floor.
His personality? Everyone says he's a highly intelligent kid who listens and is easily coachable.

I hope this undewhelming guys somehow ends up as Yao's backup. :lol

benefactor
06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Something tells me this guy is going to be on the wrong end of a lot of posters in the NBA.

The Franchise
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
^ We shall see. In the meantime tell me what this something is your talking about. I've seen this kid play and he will be able to contribute on defense immediately. What are your assumptions based on?

Obstructed_View
06-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Mock Draft: After Wall, Plenty Of Uncertainty In First Round (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-mockdraftafterwallpl)
SportingNews

20. San Antonio. Solomon Alabi, C, Florida State. Perhaps the Spurs will be able to move up in the draft, but if they keep this pick, they’re likely to go big with Alabi, Orton or Whiteside.

Wonder where these guys get the idea that the Spurs are so excited about drafting a big man? No big is going to walk in and know the system better than Mahinmi did, and he could only get into the game if the opposing coach picked him to shoot a free throw. Throw in Pop's reluctance to trust young players and his boner for small lineups and the odds go down significantly. I'm not saying I wouldn't like for them to draft one of these guys, but only if he's got a prayer of getting some meaningful PT.

Agloco
06-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Throw in Pop's reluctance to trust young players and his boner for small lineups and the odds go down significantly.

:lol