View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Larry Sanders

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/larry-sanders.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 235 lbs
Birthday: 11/21/1988
College: VCU

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Larry-Sanders-5148/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/larry-sanders)

mountainballer
03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
there are few draft prospects, almost all mocks seem to agree about, where they will likely be drafted. (not talking about Wall or Turner). especially not 3 months before the draft.
in Sanders case it seems they are sure where he will be drafted.
I found #15, #15,#17,#17, #17, #17, #18,#19, #19, #19, #20, #21,#21,#30

so, considering Spurs will pick between #19 and #22, it's fair to expect him on the board at that point. I would clearly prefer Udoh over him (no brainer if both are still on the board), but it seems as if Udoh will go between #10 and 15.

Sanders would fill a lot of what was called Spurs needs. he is probably the best shot blocker in college basketball and he is the type of very mobile big with enormous defensive potential we often wanted the Spurs to add.
(he might even become a taller version of Tyrus Thomas). should fit nice alongside Blair and Splitter in the future. at least on defense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Not this Larry Sanders then:

hIiY8qY_3dU

Mr. Body
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I loved this guy's show.

mountainballer
03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
right now it looks as if this guy will be the best available player at #20, if Spurs want to draft a mobile big, who can defend and block some shots.
(Udoh likely has climbed out of our range)

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
If Splitter ain't in the future, I can imagine the Spurs taking a look. But it also depends on what Mahinmi's future is.

However, this guy's super-athletic profile and improvement over the last couple years, I'd expect him to climb the boards during workouts.

tuncaboylu
04-26-2010, 03:32 AM
From what I've read, this guy seems a very good fit for us. It seems that he will be in our range and an athletic forward-center can provide a nice back-up unit for our aging veterans Duncan and Dice.

duncan228
05-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Spurs in Preview: With the draft, an opportunity to build for the future (http://www.kens5.com/sports/basketball/Spurs-in-Preview-With-the-draft-an-opportunity-to-build-for-the-future-93674379.html)
by Dan Oshinsky / KENS 5

A few players caught the Roundup’s eye this season:

Larry Sanders -- 6'9'', Power forward, junior, VCU

-What you need to know: Sanders is, with all due respect, an athletic freak. He’s 6’9’’, but has a 7’6’’ wingspan. He only weighs 205 pounds, but he’s also only 21. It’s very difficult to project his offensive game, because he played against vastly undersized competition in the Colonial league, and because he’s only been playing basketball since he was 16. I’ll say this: a pairing of Sanders and DeJuan Blair would make for one of the best offensive rebounding tandems in the NBA.

YAFJT1MMuzw

Boston Pancake
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
The Larry Sanders Show was wicked awesome.

Bruno
05-28-2010, 04:00 AM
He showed a lot of length at the combine (6'10.5" with a 7'5.75" wingspan and a 9'4" standing reach).

When I look at bigmen, who could be available at#20, Sanders seems to be the most interesting. Orton, Whiteside and Alabi have great physical tools but are long term projects.

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 04:47 AM
If the small forwards that deserve to be picked at 20 aren't around, Larry Sanders is the pick I want for the Spurs.

BronxCowboy
05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
When I look at bigmen, who could be available at#20, Sanders seems to be the most interesting. Orton, Whiteside and Alabi have great physical tools but are long term projects.

I admit I haven't watched him play, but I got the impression that Larry Sanders was pretty much a long term project too?

kobyz
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
i compare him to Joakim Noah

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I admit I haven't watched him play, but I got the impression that Larry Sanders was pretty much a long term project too?

True. He played basketball for only 5 years, so he still has a long way to go in that department, but from the measurements, he has an enormous wingspan and is quite mobile and athletic.

Solid D
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
He showed a lot of length at the combine (6'10.5" with a 7'5.75" wingspan and a 9'4" standing reach).

:tu If the Spurs cannot trade up in the draft (and don't trade out of the 1st), Sanders is a guy the Spurs could use. DEFENSE.

Mr Bones
06-14-2010, 01:54 AM
I think Serge Ibaka and Taj Gibson surprised people in their first years by playing over 20 mpg and being very productive, and Sanders is the one guy who has the potential at the 20th pick to maybe do the same. He actually measures both taller and longer than both of those guys.

Mr Bones
06-14-2010, 04:35 AM
It is interesting that most scouting reports consider Hassan Whiteside to be more of a project than Sanders. The one team they both faced last year was Tulane. Sanders played against them once and registered 16 points and 9 rebounds, with no blocks. Whiteside faced them twice: one game his stats were 20 pts, 12 reb, 8 blks, and the second game he went for 10 points, 5 rebs, and 7 blks. Tulane was not a very good team and all three of these games were losses for them. But it's hard to not question the theory that Sanders was the best shot blocker in the country last year when looking at these match ups.

mountainballer
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I think it is pretty interesting, that the Spurs till now didn't work out a single big man, who would be in our reach in the 1st round. (like Sanders, Alabi, Whiteside, Orton)
IMO this does tell a lot about their strategy. (which makes sense assuming they want to add Splitter, have Blair and still might consider Ian.)
all the invited bigs are typical 2nd rounders.
so I don't think Sanders is one of the options for the 1st rounder, even if the intriguing SFs are gone. seems as if they rather pick a SG or combo guard like Williams, Jones or Bradley over the available bigs.

Mr. Body
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I think it is pretty interesting, that the Spurs till now didn't work out a single big man, who would be in our reach in the 1st round. (like Sanders, Alabi, Whiteside, Orton)
IMO this does tell a lot about their strategy. (which makes sense assuming they want to add Splitter, have Blair and still might consider Ian.)
all the invited bigs are typical 2nd rounders.
so I don't think Sanders is one of the options for the 1st rounder, even if the intriguing SFs are gone. seems as if they rather pick a SG or combo guard like Williams, Jones or Bradley over the available bigs.

Good read on the signal, if true. I'd much rather Splitter come in, keep Blair, McDyess, and draft a perimeter player.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/port-st-lucie-star-larry-sanders-expected-to-762802.html

Since May 18, Sanders has worked out for at least 13 NBA teams, including the Heat, Raptors, Thunder, Minnesota Timberwolves, Utah Jazz, Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics and San Antonio Spurs.

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Hes not the best shot blocker in college by a long shot. Dont think the spurs take him as hes a bit raw and rail thin, that said he will be a solid player in a few years in the Theo Ratliff mold if he works hard.

you quoted a post I wrote 3 and a half months ago and ignore posts from the last weeks that put into perspective what was said long before NCA season was finished and the workouts even started?? including the conclusio that I no longer think he is a target of the Spurs.