PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Xavier Henry

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/seth_davis/12/14/xavier.henry/xavier-henry.jpg
Height: 6-6
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 03/15/1991
College: Kansas

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Xavier-Henry-1324/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/xavier-henry)

Mr. Body
04-15-2010, 01:47 AM
DX has this guy currently dropping to #16 in their current Mock. He might be an interesting one to keep an eye on as a real good talent who falls through the cracks.

mountainballer
04-15-2010, 03:21 AM
he was actually the first guy I put on my watch list in November, but then he played that well, that he skyrocket the boards and I didn't see any chance he could not be drafted top 10. (especially with so few lottery talent SGs on the board). his 2nd half of the season wasn't that good, so mocks see him drop.

I still can't see him drop out of the lottery. his shooting ability is so exceptional and there are several teams desperately looking for 3pt shooting.
I would be totally surprised if the Grizzlies pass on him at #14, but I'm pretty sure the Clippers already have him on their list at #8.

however, IF he fell to our pick, Spurs can't pass. Henry has the talent to become +40% career 3pt shooter and he could become an at least decent player in all other areas.

jesterbobman
04-15-2010, 03:31 AM
If he falls to our pick, I don't see any way we can pass. At a minimum, he takes on Mason/Finley minutes and has potential to improve. He's also a true SG, but has enough size to cover some of the smaller SF's. He's got to be ranked on a higher tier than the other guys who are likely to be there.

mountainballer
04-15-2010, 05:20 AM
will be interesting how he measures at the camp, but from what you can tell from the videos and pictures he looks like a "true" 6'6'' with decent length. (not one of those 6'4'' guys who somehow got listed at 6'6'')
for sure he will be strong enough to cover SFs, the kid turned just 19 last month, but is already built like a Hummer.

Bruno
05-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Cross-posting:

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/5/13/1470217/spurs-working-out-xavier-henry-and

George believes he may be more of a 2-guard than a 3. Some NBA teams agree. In fact his first workout is in San Antonio on Thursday. His workout partner: Kansas shooting guard Xavier Henry.

DBMethos
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Yeah I would love to see some footage of the Spurs' draft workouts...but we'll likely never see it. C'mon spursdotcom!!!

EricB
05-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Lol what's to see? Some guy running basketball drills? Meh...

Bruno
05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
His agent is Arn Tellem. He isn't an inexperienced agent with little knowledge of NBA teams and the draft process. Henry working out with Spurs means that Tellem hasn't received strong enough feedbacks from NBA teams to be sure that Henry will be drafted before #20.

Mr. Body
05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I like the Spurs trying him out. I like it a lot.

mountainballer
05-14-2010, 04:12 AM
His agent is Arn Tellem. He isn't an inexperienced agent with little knowledge of NBA teams and the draft process. Henry working out with Spurs means that Tellem hasn't received strong enough feedbacks from NBA teams to be sure that Henry will be drafted before #20.

good point.
I still can't believe that so many teams desperate for shooting will pass on him, but who knows.
he will be one of those players, who's stock will depend a lot on the measurements, because his value will rise significantly, if team think he is big enough cover NBA SFs.
the other question is, do the Spurs have a move up plan? the #16pick (Wolves from Bobcats) could be on the market.

scottspurs
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I would love for the spurs to Draft Henry too, but they will have to trade up to do so. He will not be there at #20 he is to good a shooter and has to much potential. If he makes it out of the lottery the spurs should start making calls to move up if they like him.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I would jack off five times in a row if he somehow dropped to number 20

but no way that happens, he's too big of a brand name

also sincerely doubt his personality fitting in with the spurs philosophy

Manufan909
05-16-2010, 01:54 AM
What is wrong with his personality? Is he an arrogant chest bumper like KG or something?

Darkwaters
05-16-2010, 03:38 AM
What is wrong with his personality? Is he an arrogant chest bumper like KG or something?

Anything is possible!

Mr. Body
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't see any problem with his personality fitting in with the Spurs. If he ever happened to get here.

yavozerb
05-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Don't see any problem with his personality fitting in with the Spurs. If he ever happened to get here.

me neither..If he's there he will get drafted faster than blair did.

mountainballer
05-17-2010, 05:08 AM
me neither..If he's there he will get drafted faster than blair did.

yes. and from all we can read about him, he seems to be a great kid, hard worker and good team mate. definitely Spurs material.
however, as mentioned before, I can't see him drop to #20. but such things happen every once in a while, so let's hope for the chance.
I just don't see why the teams would pass. as far as we know he has his ACLs.

K-State Spur
05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
I just don't see why the teams would pass. as far as we know he has his ACLs.

Probably because he's not an elite athlete, disappeared for half the season last year, played extremely passively in KU's biggest games, has yet to display NBA range from outside, and has shown little ability to create his own shot (the vast majority of his FGA came on catch and shoot opportunities created by one of the two all-americans on his team).

I think he's got the tools to be a good player in time, but he's still a long ways off.

If the Spurs were to go with Za-vee-ay, they're making a pick for the post-Duncan era.

DesignatedT
05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Probably because he's not an elite athlete, disappeared for half the season last year, played extremely passively in KU's biggest games, has yet to display NBA range from outside, and has shown little ability to create his own shot (the vast majority of his FGA came on catch and shoot opportunities created by one of the two all-americans on his team).

I think he's got the tools to be a good player in time, but he's still a long ways off.

If the Spurs were to go with Za-vee-ay, they're making a pick for the post-Duncan era.

LOL. this coming from "K-State" spur. kinda like the way i hate on damion james.

K-State Spur
05-19-2010, 01:50 PM
LOL. this coming from "K-State" spur. kinda like the way i hate on damion james.

Yeah, but I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to Henry. It's hard to hate a guy when he only played for your rival one year and had 2 terrible games against the alma mater in 3 tries.

Hell, most Jayhawk fans hold more ill will for him than I do.

My opinion is based more on having seen more of him than probably most on this board. Not that I am an expert evaluator by any stretch, but I do think I'm in line when I saw that he is not without flaws.

AFBlue
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM

A reliable catch-and-shoot player is exactly what the Spurs were missing this last year. Henry was definitely inconsistent during his freshman season, but his final numbers 42% on over 4 1/2 three-point attempts per game.

At this point he doesn't need to be much more than that. The upside is there because of his youth and relative inexperience with the game. You can think of him as a less-athletic, but less-boneheaded JR Smith...a guy that Spurs fans have been infatuated with for years.

K-State Spur
05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
A reliable catch-and-shoot player is exactly what the Spurs were missing this last year. Henry was definitely inconsistent during his freshman season, but his final numbers 42% on over 4 1/2 three-point attempts per game.

At this point he doesn't need to be much more than that. The upside is there because of his youth and relative inexperience with the game. You can think of him as a less-athletic, but less-boneheaded JR Smith...a guy that Spurs fans have been infatuated with for years.

How many 20 year olds are capable of understanding the spurs offense and spacing the floor in the NBA to be reliable catch & shoot players right off the bat?

yavozerb
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
How many 20 year olds are capable of understanding the spurs offense and spacing the floor in the NBA to be reliable catch & shoot players right off the bat?

good question, I cannot even remember a 20 y/o player ever getting the chance...I say lets make henry the 1st and see how it goes.:toast

mountainballer
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
My opinion is based more on having seen more of him than probably most on this board. Not that I am an expert evaluator by any stretch, but I do think I'm in line when I saw that he is not without flaws.

first off, none (absolutely none) ever claimed he doesn't have flaws.
question is, are those flaws something a 19 years old player has enough room left to correct.
2nd. for sure you have seen much more of him. I have seen enough of his shots to claim in this department he has something special. not just good. this could once become special.
(please don't come up again with this NBA range stuff. as if college players should rather prove NBA range than just shot from the line. any college coach will kill a player who does it more than once a game)
3rd. you always point out that he is to young to help the Spurs immediately. you really think the NBA radyness of this years draft pick will be crucial for our success? some of the most discussed potential picks are less NBA rady than he is (like Gorge for example). using that argument Spurs would need to pass on them either. but if ready is the criteria, Spurs would do better to trade the pick for a veteran player anyhow.
henry does have two things that are NBA ready: he is already stronger than most seniors when they enter the NBA. and his shot. let him shoot the NBA 3 for a summer and he will lead all rookies and sophs in that list next season.

K-State Spur
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
first off, none (absolutely none) ever claimed he doesn't have flaws.
question is, are those flaws something a 19 years old player has enough room left to correct.
2nd. for sure you have seen much more of him. I have seen enough of his shots to claim in this department he has something special. not just good. this could once become special.
(please don't come up again with this NBA range stuff. as if college players should rather prove NBA range than just shot from the line. any college coach will kill a player who does it more than once a game)
3rd. you always point out that he is to young to help the Spurs immediately. you really think the NBA radyness of this years draft pick will be crucial for our success? some of the most discussed potential picks are less NBA rady than he is (like Gorge for example). using that argument Spurs would need to pass on them either. but if ready is the criteria, Spurs would do better to trade the pick for a veteran player anyhow.
henry does have two things that are NBA ready: he is already stronger than most seniors when they enter the NBA. and his shot. let him shoot the NBA 3 for a summer and he will lead all rookies and sophs in that list next season.

Actually, the Spurs would be best off to find a balance between adding youth to the roster while still being able to contribute sooner than later.

By the time Henry is ready to contribute, Duncan will be retired.

Obviously he has a decent ceiling, my pointing out of his flaws was in response to your statement that you couldn't understand why he was in danger of falling to 20 - - - that's why.

Biggems
05-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Kansas has been sending some quality guys to the pros under Self. Henry is probably a top 10-15 pick, but if he is there at 20, he is definitely worth a strong look.

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Actually, the Spurs would be best off to find a balance between adding youth to the roster while still being able to contribute sooner than later.

By the time Henry is ready to contribute, Duncan will be retired.

Obviously he has a decent ceiling, my pointing out of his flaws was in response to your statement that you couldn't understand why he was in danger of falling to 20 - - - that's why.

whoever the Spurs draft, it will be more of a move for the time after Tim than for the next 2 or 3 years. including Splitter the top 8 spots in the rotation are set anyhow. and very likely we will see at least one veteran signing, who will be ahead of the pick in the rotation either.
if this pick is expected to help significantly in the next 2 seasons, Spurs need to trade him for a ready player. period.
(I asked in the other thread what people would think about a trade of the #20 pick for Rudy Fernandez, something the Blazers might be willing to do in the current situation with him wanting out)

K-State Spur
05-20-2010, 07:21 AM
I asked a die hard KU fan about Henry's NBA readyness and he told me that shooting and athletically he is there, but mentally he might not be. The commitment to defense and shooting slump Xavier went through in the middle of the season was inexcuseable. But in my opinion players go through slumps all the time and he'll be fine in the NBA. On a scale of 1 to 10 my buddy gave him a 7 on the scale of NBA readyness only because of his shooting.

i'd also be worried that he didn't show up for most of their big games. he got off to a great start, but when teams didn't double off him to help on aldrich and collins, his numbers really tapered off.

K-State Spur
05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Kansas has been sending some quality guys to the pros under Self. Henry is probably a top 10-15 pick, but if he is there at 20, he is definitely worth a strong look.

Not really (at least not yet).

Brandon Rush has been okay, and he's the big breadwinner of the group. Chalmers had a solid rookie year, but took a step back this season. Darrell Arthur and Julian Wright have to be viewed as disappointments at this juncture. Wayne Simien and Darnell Jackson are never weres.

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
whoever the Spurs draft, it will be more of a move for the time after Tim than for the next 2 or 3 years. including Splitter the top 8 spots in the rotation are set anyhow. and very likely we will see at least one veteran signing, who will be ahead of the pick in the rotation either.
if this pick is expected to help significantly in the next 2 seasons, Spurs need to trade him for a ready player. period.
(I asked in the other thread what people would think about a trade of the #20 pick for Rudy Fernandez, something the Blazers might be willing to do in the current situation with him wanting out)

The last thing the Spurs need to do is give up a very attractive, mid 1st- round draft choice - especially to a team is already loaded with a dearth of young talent. In addition, your choice of player is also suspect for several reasons:

- The Spurs are in desparate need of quicknees, youth and athleticism at a couple of spots (SF & PF). While he is young, Fernandez doe nothing to addtess the Spurs most pressing, specific needs, in those areas. Now, if you want to target Nicolas Batum or Jeff Pendergraph, there could be a conversation there.

- Unless it's a team that is devoid of a 1st round pick, what is the incentive for any team, specifically the Blazers, to make a trade with the Spurs? The Blazers already have a late 1st round pick (#22 in the round). While I'm sure they are looking to move up, I don't think the possibility of moving up 2 spots would be attractive to them.

- Another reason against Fernandez, he plays a position (SG), that the Spurs already have a logjam.

- The Spurs can and should continue to build on the young core (Blair, Hill, Mahinmi, Hairston, Temple, Gee) they are developing by adding another player that best suits an immediate need.

- The Spurs need to ensure they have a players ready to step in within the next season. This would help avoid a total bottom-out and enable them to at least "reload" on the fly.

Also, I couldn't disagree more with your premise that whoever the Spurs draft "it will be more of a move for the time after Tim than for the next 2 or 3 years". Have you not been watching the exploits of both Blair and Hill? Both have become immediate contributors and emerging, rotation players.

If the Spurs were able to select a SF like Paul George or Xavier Henry, for that matter, who is young, athletic and is a stellar perimeter shooter (a skill that easily translates to the next level), he could easily help them. Of course, he wouldn't start, but he'd be a wonderful backup to RJ - not to mention his eventual replacement.

The Spurs FO has a good track record for selecting players with the right talent level and mindset to fit their program. I would trust them in making this selection, as opposed to gambling on a player who is already unhappy in his current situation.

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
The last thing the Spurs need to do is give up a very attractive, mid 1st- round draft choice - especially to a team is already loaded with a dearth of young talent. In addition, your choice of player is also suspect for several reasons:

jesus. what's your problem???
why do you think I posted about 3 times more posts about possible draft targets and draft scenarios than any other member here?
because I hope/think/wish the Spurs should trade the pick?

however, there is (and always will be) a chance that the FO use the pick for a trade.
you don't need to explain that a #20 pick is pretty attractive, especially in a draft with significant depth in a department of need. I guess all regulars in the think tank share this estimation.
guess what. an attractive pick for us might also look attractive for other teams and if there is one thing any GM in the league knows, it's that RC and Pop are always open to talks about a Spurs pick. so they get their calls, book it.
one fact we can't deny is this:
the current roster plus the unsigned draft picks form two groups. a nice core of 25 years and under players (Hill, Blair, Splitter, DeColo, Ian, Hairston, Gee, Temple) and a big core of 30+ veterans (Tim, Manu, RJ, Dice).
you see what's missing????
start of the next season only player between 26 and 30 is Tony.
you know what they call a players prime?
got the idea?
about RF. he was just a possibility. a realistic possibility (likely on the block, low salary, easy to put in a trade scenario, former 24 pick, talent equivalent to a #20 pick, etc.)
why not discuss? name other possible targets and I will be happy to discuss them either.
sorry, to call RF a suspect idea is pretty ridiculous. we need to replace Mason and likely won't re sign Bonner. and 3pt shooting was one of our week departments this PO. you say Spurs wouldn't be interested in a player like Rudy? tell you what. there are quite some members with nice bb knowledge here who disagree with you.

btw. I could live well with a pick like George. but sorry, to assume he can come in and contribute right away is as naive as naive can be. George will struggle on defense and therefore not get big minutes from Pop. Blair, who is light years ahead in terms of strengths and a significant NBA level quality (rebounding) didn't get more than the 9th spot in the rotation because of his defensive shortcomings. (and wasn't part of the regular PO rotation)
if George is picked, he is the prototype of a pick for the future!

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
jesus. what's your problem???
why do you think I posted about 3 times more posts about possible draft targets and draft scenarios than any other member here?
because I hope/think/wish the Spurs should trade the pick?

however, there is (and always will be) a chance that the FO use the pick for a trade.
you don't need to explain that a #20 pick is pretty attractive, especially in a draft with significant depth in a department of need. I guess all regulars in the think tank share this estimation.
guess what. an attractive pick for us might also look attractive for other teams and if there is one thing any GM in the league knows, it's that RC and Pop are always open to talks about a Spurs pick. so they get their calls, book it.
one fact we can't deny is this:
the current roster plus the unsigned draft picks form two groups. a nice core of 25 years and under players (Hill, Blair, Splitter, DeColo, Ian, Hairston, Gee, Temple) and a big core of 30+ veterans (Tim, Manu, RJ, Dice).
you see what's missing????
start of the next season only player between 26 and 30 is Tony.
you know what they call a players prime?
got the idea?
about RF. he was just a possibility. a realistic possibility (likely on the block, low salary, easy to put in a trade scenario, former 24 pick, talent equivalent to a #20 pick, etc.)
why not discuss? name other possible targets and I will be happy to discuss them either.
sorry, to call RF a suspect idea is pretty ridiculous. we need to replace Mason and likely won't re sign Bonner. and 3pt shooting was one of our week departments this PO. you say Spurs wouldn't be interested in a player like Rudy? tell you what. there are quite some members with nice bb knowledge here who disagree with you.

btw. I could live well with a pick like George. but sorry, to assume he can come in and contribute right away is as naive as naive can be. George will struggle on defense and therefore not get big minutes from Pop. Blair, who is light years ahead in terms of strengths and a significant NBA level quality (rebounding) didn't get more than the 9th spot in the rotation because of his defensive shortcomings. (and wasn't part of the regular PO rotation)
if George is picked, he is the prototype of a pick for the future!

Whatever dude. I didn't read your other 3 posts (and don't need to).

I'll make my final, and most important counterpoint against your case of trading the pick for a player - the Spurs are over the cap. Meaning they will need to fill out the end of the roster with young, cheap talent.

Young, newly drafted players taken in the mid-to-late round are usually cheaper than free agents.

You cannot stockpile a bunch of SGs while the SF and PF position still suck. It absolutely makes not sense.

RF, in addition to all the other reasons I've listed as to why he's NOT a good get, will soon be up for a new contract. The Spurs have no financial flexibility.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM

I'll make my final, and most important counterpoint against your case of trading the pick for a player - the Spurs are over the cap. Meaning they will need to fill out the end of the roster with young, cheap talent.

Young, newly drafted players taken in the mid-to-late round are usually cheaper than free agents.

You cannot stockpile a bunch of SGs while the SF and PF position still suck. It absolutely makes not sense.

RF, in addition to all the other reasons I've listed as to why he's NOT a good get, will soon be up for a new contract. The Spurs have no financial flexibility.

:ihit Internet tough guy alert--don't fuck with a dude w/ an insecurity complex, a keyboard, and an attitude that says 'fuck you mean, cold world I'm making this shit straight for tough guys like me one thread at a time'

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM

well, sometimes it would help to read some posts of other members (not just mine), might help to get some in depth information. would also help to avoid arguing by all those run of the mill arguments. we are over the cap? wow really! late fist rounder are cheaper than most FAs. oh thanks. who would have thought.

Rudy Fernadez salary 2010-11: 1,246,680.-
standard rookie salary for the #20 pick: 1,134,500.-
why do you think I choose Fernandez as an example for a possible trade option? because I might have thought about cap implications?

You cannot stockpile a bunch of SGs while the SF and PF position still suck. It absolutely makes not sense..

hm. guards under guaranteed contracts for 2010-2011: Parker, Ginobili, Hill.
ah yes. 3 men. so that's a stockpile.
no team would ever think about adding a 4th, even less a 5th guard to such an abundance of guards. every team would pass in this situation.

he is up for a new contract 2012. that year Spurs will have a boatload of what you call financial flexibility.
dude, it's ok that you refuse to read other posts, but do you ever check any Spurs related facts?? I mean, you look like Otto explaining intelligence work to Wendy Leach.

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
well, sometimes it would help to read some posts of other members (not just mine), might help to get some in depth information. would also help to avoid arguing by all those run of the mill arguments. we are over the cap? wow really! late fist rounder are cheaper than most FAs. oh thanks. who would have thought.

Rudy Fernadez salary 2010-11: 1,246,680.-
standard rookie salary for the #20 pick: 1,134,500.-
why do you think I choose Fernandez as an example for a possible trade option? because I might have thought about cap implications?

hm. guards under guaranteed contracts for 2010-2011: Parker, Ginobili, Hill.
ah yes. 3 men. so that's a stockpile.
no team would ever think about adding a 4th, even less a 5th guard to such an abundance of guards. every team would pass in this situation.

he is up for a new contract 2012. that year Spurs will have a boatload of what you call financial flexibility.
dude, it's ok that you refuse to read other posts, but do you ever check any Spurs related facts?? I mean, you look like Otto explaining intelligence work to Wendy Leach.

It's comforting to see that you're not the only poster that corners the market on short-sighted suggestions.

If you can't handle someone disagreeing with your position, that's on you.

By the way, I didn't say I don't read other posts. I simply have no interest in wading through yours to better understand your opinions. It aint that important.

Dude, let's just agree to disagree.

:sleep

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 11:43 AM
By the way, I didn't say I don't read other posts. I simply have no interest in wading through yours to better understand your opinions. It aint that important.

now that's funny. really funny. almost talking about schizophrenia.
first you take the time to wright a novel to lecture a post of mine, ignoring what the starting point was, playing opinion police telling me that how odd it is to even bring up the possibility that the Spurs might think about trading the pick.
then you take the time to back up you statement with some clueless nonsense to explain your opinion to me, but tell me that you don't read my posts, because they are meaningless for you.:rollin
and call me the one who doesn't accept a different opinion!:lol
kid, remember how this started? you were the one to call my proposal (which wasn't even a proposal, it was a question to get estimations about the possibility of a scenario) expendable.:downspin:

btw. I'll be happy to see you disagree with whatever I write. looking at your knowledge level it would become kind of a quality indicator.

SenorSpur
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
now that's funny. really funny. almost talking about schizophrenia.
first you take the time to wright a novel to lecture a post of mine, ignoring what the starting point was, playing opinion police telling me that how odd it is to even bring up the possibility that the Spurs might think about trading the pick.
then you take the time to back up you statement with some clueless nonsense to explain your opinion to me, but tell me that you don't read my posts, because they are meaningless for you.:rollin
and call me the one who doesn't accept a different opinion!:lol
kid, remember how this started? you were the one to call my proposal (which wasn't even a proposal, it was a question to get estimations about the possibility of a scenario) expendable.:downspin:

btw. I'll be happy to see you disagree with whatever I write. looking at your knowledge level it would become kind of a quality indicator.

I fully expect RC to explore options with the 1st round pick - whatever that may be. That's a given. However, I believe it was K-State Spur who indicated earlier that perhaps the best option for the Spurs is finding that balance between adding youth for the long-term versus a player that can contribute immediately. An approach I agree with.

However, I'll go back to my point on the surprising contributions of Hill and Blair, as proof that if an organization, as intelligent as the Spurs, make the right choices in the draft, the rookie ROI can sometimes be realized sooner than we think.

As far as your original proposal, IMO, it was your choice of player left something to be desired. The point is if you're going to have that discussion on trading the pick, it'd better be to address a specific need - again that is SF or PF. Rudy is a good player, but one with redundant skills at a position, where there is already a logjam.

Don't get so overly-sensitive because someone counters a point you made. After all, it's just mindless internet banter between "armchair" GMs.

Brazil
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
BTW I can see the spurs trading the pick tbh. I can imagine Spurs FO not being fan of giving guarranted money to a late first round pick

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Twitter: (http://twitter.com/varner48MoH/status/14371271666)

Xavier Henry describes himself: "I'm not a knuckle-headed kid. I'm smart. I'm articulate."

Non-news, as what's he supposed to say, but it's a direct quote, nonetheless.

lurker23
05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Twitter: (http://twitter.com/varner48MoH/status/14371271666)

Non-news, as what's he supposed to say, but it's a direct quote, nonetheless.

Not that I have an informed opinion about this guy's intellect one way or the other, but do most true smart and articulate guys go around saying, "I'm smart. I'm articulate." ? IMO, you should just go about your business, and if you're truly articulate, it should easily bear itself out in the process.

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
It's just, really, what's he supposed to say?

Maybe all the questioning of his maturity, intellect and/or character is warranted but there's really nothing you can say that's going to change that for the positive. Maybe a little better ... but it's something that has to be done on the court and through his actions.

But I do agree. It's almost entering the LeBron, "There ain't no one more humble than me," (or something to that effect) realm. :lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd trade the 20th pick for Rudy in a heartbeat. It's fantasy land to expect more from guys like Henry ( extremely optimistic to be there at 20 ), Pondexter, George, Robinson, etc. than from a guy like Rudy Fernandez in the immediate future - the next couple of years.

tav1
05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Not that I have an informed opinion about this guy's intellect one way or the other, but do most true smart and articulate guys go around saying, "I'm smart. I'm articulate." ? IMO, you should just go about your business, and if you're truly articulate, it should easily bear itself out in the process.

You're right. It sounded odd. Almost as if his agent told him to play up his IQ or something.

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Xavier Henry (http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/05/20/media-log-2010-nba-draft-combine-media-availability-day-1-part-i/)

How do you think you’ll try to take advantage of the style of play in the NBA, when it comes to the strict enforcement of the hand-checking rule?

I’m going to play my regular game. I’m a shooting guard. I’m a perimeter player, obviously. I like to shoot. I like to drive it, but I also do everything else. I always show 100% effort and I’m always enthusiastic. I think any team would like that, instead of just a knuckle-headed kid. I’m actually smart. I like playing the game. I can definitely help a team.

What are some things that you do as a player that people don’t know enough about?

That they don’t know? It seems like they know everything. *laughs*

I don’t know. They just want to come away with … I show effort in every part of the game, not just my offense. I play defense as hard as I can, I go for loose balls, I do everything I can to help the team win. I’m not just a one-dimensional player.

How did Bill Self, your coach at Kansas, help you develop as a player?

He helped prepare me to make sure to give 100% effort all the time in all facets of the game, not just focusing on one part of my game. Everyday in practice, when we’re doing these drills [at the combine], focus on that as hard as I can, then when I move to the next thing, be able to adjust and focus on something else. He made the game come a lot slower to me. I was more aware on offense and defense, my positioning [on the court], and where I should be at. I think he helped me a lot with that.

What teams did you work out for?

Just Chicago.

Do you feel you’re more conducive to playing an up-tempo style of basketball or more in a half-court setting?

I can play either one. I’m just … I’m aggressive. If we’re running up and down, I have the conditioning and cardio, that’s not a problem, to play up and down, attack, and do all that. In the half-court setting, that’s more of a team-oriented type of play setting. That’s how we did it at Kansas. It was a real systematic thing, so I can play either style. There’s no difference.

Do you think Self’s system at Kansas will help you transfer your abilities to the NBA?

Yeah, I had a lot of work on pick and roll plays. A lot of stuff with his system is pick and roll, hi-lo stuff, so I had a lot to work with in his offense so I liked that.

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 03:35 AM
The intelligence and non-knuckle-head thing are definitely talking points being pushed by his "team."

ace3g
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Xavier Henry had easily the best shot among the shooting guards. The ball rolls off his fingers on every shot in a textbook form.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-day-1

mountainballer
05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
^^
that's what I was talking about 3 days ago.

huh? the best (by far best) shooter in the draft is not a Spurs guy? if Henry falls (which I doubt. goes to Grizzlies at #12, if not earlier) he is a no brainer.

another +point for Henry from the test: he measured slightly under 6-7 in shoes with an almost 7' wingspan. this are for example pretty much the same numbers like John Salmons, Martell Webster, Andre Iguodala, Josh Childress displayed.
all those players are labeled very good size for SG and sufficient size for SF.
(considering how strong he is, SF will pretty likely become his NBA role)

K-State Spur
05-22-2010, 12:25 AM
^^
that's what I was talking about 3 days ago.

another +point for Henry from the test: he measured slightly under 6-7 in shoes with an almost 7' wingspan. this are for example pretty much the same numbers like John Salmons, Martell Webster, Andre Iguodala, Josh Childress displayed.
all those players are labeled very good size for SG and sufficient size for SF.
(considering how strong he is, SF will pretty likely become his NBA role)

there is a stout difference between having the best shot (no denying that he has a beautiful release) and being "by far" the best shooter - he wasn't even the best shooting JAYHAWK last year.

he's a nice prospect and should become a decent player over time. i'm thinking doug christie sans the crazy mrs. but, i think you are overselling him a tad (as much as any of us can project an 18 year old who has yet to dominate).

Bruno
05-22-2010, 03:49 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/66760/nba_draft_dish_wall_defends_cousins_attitude_by_sa ying_hes_a_good_guy

Kansas SG Xavier Henry expects to be a workout warrior in the coming weeks. He has workouts lined up with teams as high as the Pistons at No. 7, all the way down to the Spurs—who are rumored to be very interested in Henry—at No. 20, unless San Antonio trades up.

“It is going to be busy, but I am getting myself in shape for that,” Henry said. “I had a workout at Chicago. I’ve got Houston, the Spurs, and beginning in June, I will have the Clippers, Utah, Toronto, Detroit. Maybe Memphis. It is going to be a busy time.” ...

It's strange that Henry "lied" at first by saying he hasn't worked out with Spurs.
Maybe he thought that it could hurt his draft stock, maybe Spurs asked him to keep the workout quiet. If Spurs want him they will need to trade up and it's more costly/difficult to trade up when teams know what player you specifically target. In both scenario, it's a fail.

IMO, if Spurs want to trade up Memphis at #12 could be a good target. Henry not being sure to work out with them could be a sign that they aren't really high on him. They don't need bigmen or SF (if they keep Gay) that will be BPA at #12 and they haven't a first round pick next year. So, #12 for #20 and Spurs 2011 first round pick could make sense.

mountainballer
05-22-2010, 10:13 AM
agree that Grizzlies might be willing to trade #12. #20 plus next year 1st rounder sounds not bad. (maybe plus a 2nd rounder?)
don't agree that they didn't also have some use for a shooter like Henry.
however, the more likely pick to get could be #16 from the Wolves. especially if the Wolves wanted to get more cap space and Spurs include non guaranteed contracts and take someone from their books.
but #16 might be to late.
if they think like we want either George or Henry, then #16 looks promising. don't think both will be gone. (at #20 they will be gone)

duncan228
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Xavier Henry: ‘You Always See Me With A Smile On My Face’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-xavierhenryyoualways)
SportingNews

In his one season at Kansas, Xavier Henry showed himself to be one of the best shooters in college basketball, knocking down 41.8 percent of his 3-pointers and averaging 13.4 points for the Jayhawks. As he enters the NBA draft process, however, Henry finds himself battling the perception that he’s a shooter and not much else. He spoke with Sporting News’ Sean Deveney and other reporters about his prospects as a prospect.

Question: Do you consider yourself more of a shooting guard or a small forward?

Xavier Henry: I think it is interchangeable with me, whether it is the two or three spot. I can play on the wing, and I feel like I can guard either spot. So, I would say it is interchangeable.

Q: What do you think you will bring to an NBA team next year?

XH: I am a guy who can adapt. I am a guy who is coachable and will go out and fill whatever role the coach needs me to fill. I am going to work hard and do all the little things my team needs.

Q: I know a lot of teams are impressed by your overall attitude, you’re always smiling and engaging. I get the sense that’s not an act, that’s just how you always are.

XH: That’s true, that is just how I was brought up. My whole life I have been a very positive person—you always see me with a smile on my face. I know I am a very lucky person, and I appreciate it. So, I don’t see any reason to change that just because I am going from college to the pros. I don’t know any other way to act.

Q: Some general managers worry about taking someone who might be a problem off the court. You’re saying that’s not a concern with you.

XH: Yes sir, I am not a knuckleheaded kid. You don’t have to worry about me off the court, or causing problems in the locker room, stuff like that. Trust me, we go on the road or whatever, I will be right there in my room. I know there are guys who come to the NBA and get a big head and a big ego. I played with guys like that, against guys like that. I don’t understand it.

Q: Playing at Kansas, with the style you guys played, do you think you were able to fully show what you can do?

XH: Somewhat. Somewhat. But we had a lot of great players. I feel I can play the fast-paced game, and get up and down, and we maybe didn’t always do that. But I am going to be a willing passer, and I am not going to turn down open shots, and I am going to knock them down.

Q: That’s one of the knocks I have heard on you, that sometimes you are not aggressive enough. Is that something you have heard?

XH: Yes, sir, I have heard that. They think the only thing I can do is sit back and shoot open 3s. First off, hitting 3s is not a bad thing. Plus, look, we had Cole Aldrich in the middle. Of course we have to try to pound the ball down to him, we have to play inside-out. And that means I need to take those shots when I can. But I can put the ball on the floor, I can drive to the basket.

Q: As you meet with teams, are you addressing that, is that something that you want them to understand? That you had a role your coach wanted you to play and you were just trying to do it?

XH: Exactly, yes. All the teams I talk to ask me about it. So I explain it.

Q: There was a lot of talk last summer about what you were going to do, stick with Kansas or switch to Kentucky. Are you glad you stuck with Kansas?

XH: I am, I enjoyed my time there. I loved my coaches, I loved my teammates, I loved the school. I learned a lot.

Q: So where are you going to get drafted?

XH: Oh, I wish I knew. I am working out for Detroit at No. 7 and pretty much everyone else down to San Antonio—I think they are No. 20.

Gino2882
05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I think this is a likely match. I can see Henry falling to #20 and I can see the Spurs taking him. He would be a young core wing player and fill in at both SG and SF.

I think Paul George has more upside but I also think George will be long gone.

rayray2k8
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Nice shooter and good passing skills, but why does he remind me of RJ? Maybe because of how his shot looks? Idk.

scottspurs
05-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Nice shooter and good passing skills, but why does he remind me of RJ? Maybe because of how his shot looks? Idk.

No doubt in my mind Henry would be a better shooter than RJ day one if the spurs drafted him.

DesignatedT
05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I think this is a likely match. I can see Henry falling to #20 and I can see the Spurs taking him. He would be a young core wing player and fill in at both SG and SF.

I think Paul George has more upside but I also think George will be long gone.

Highly doubt it.

Gino2882
05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Highly doubt it.

Look at the mock drafts. This is a fairly deep draft outside the top 4 or 5. There are several wing players (Henry, George, Babbitt, Anderson, James,) and some bigs (Orton, Whiteside, Sanders, Udoh).

rayray2k8
05-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Fucking draft. Get here already!! :lol

Mr. Body
05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I'd be very very happy to get him, whether trade up or him slipping.

mountainballer
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Xavier Henry: ‘You Always See Me With A Smile On My Face’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-xavierhenryyoualways)
SportingNews

In his one season at Kansas, Xavier Henry showed himself to be one of the best shooters in college basketball, knocking down 41.8 percent of his 3-pointers and averaging 13.4 points for the Jayhawks. As he enters the NBA draft process, however, Henry finds himself battling the perception that he’s a shooter and not much else. He spoke with Sporting News’ Sean Deveney and other reporters about his prospects as a prospect.

Question: Do you consider yourself more of a shooting guard or a small forward?

Xavier Henry: I think it is interchangeable with me, whether it is the two or three spot. I can play on the wing, and I feel like I can guard either spot. So, I would say it is interchangeable.

Q: What do you think you will bring to an NBA team next year?

XH: I am a guy who can adapt. I am a guy who is coachable and will go out and fill whatever role the coach needs me to fill. I am going to work hard and do all the little things my team needs.

Q: I know a lot of teams are impressed by your overall attitude, you’re always smiling and engaging. I get the sense that’s not an act, that’s just how you always are.

XH: That’s true, that is just how I was brought up. My whole life I have been a very positive person—you always see me with a smile on my face. I know I am a very lucky person, and I appreciate it. So, I don’t see any reason to change that just because I am going from college to the pros. I don’t know any other way to act.

Q: Some general managers worry about taking someone who might be a problem off the court. You’re saying that’s not a concern with you.

XH: Yes sir, I am not a knuckleheaded kid. You don’t have to worry about me off the court, or causing problems in the locker room, stuff like that. Trust me, we go on the road or whatever, I will be right there in my room. I know there are guys who come to the NBA and get a big head and a big ego. I played with guys like that, against guys like that. I don’t understand it.

Q: Playing at Kansas, with the style you guys played, do you think you were able to fully show what you can do?

XH: Somewhat. Somewhat. But we had a lot of great players. I feel I can play the fast-paced game, and get up and down, and we maybe didn’t always do that. But I am going to be a willing passer, and I am not going to turn down open shots, and I am going to knock them down.

Q: That’s one of the knocks I have heard on you, that sometimes you are not aggressive enough. Is that something you have heard?

XH: Yes, sir, I have heard that. They think the only thing I can do is sit back and shoot open 3s. First off, hitting 3s is not a bad thing. Plus, look, we had Cole Aldrich in the middle. Of course we have to try to pound the ball down to him, we have to play inside-out. And that means I need to take those shots when I can. But I can put the ball on the floor, I can drive to the basket.

Q: As you meet with teams, are you addressing that, is that something that you want them to understand? That you had a role your coach wanted you to play and you were just trying to do it?

XH: Exactly, yes. All the teams I talk to ask me about it. So I explain it.

Q: There was a lot of talk last summer about what you were going to do, stick with Kansas or switch to Kentucky. Are you glad you stuck with Kansas?

XH: I am, I enjoyed my time there. I loved my coaches, I loved my teammates, I loved the school. I learned a lot.

Q: So where are you going to get drafted?

XH: Oh, I wish I knew. I am working out for Detroit at No. 7 and pretty much everyone else down to San Antonio—I think they are No. 20.

just watched his interview on DX and got the impression that he is an extremely friendly, polite and open personality. very likeable.
not that he said anything surprising, it's just the usual stuff those players are expected to say. (you don't expect some philosophical lectures from a 19 years old athlete anyhow).
it was just how he acted and reacted to the questions and the interviewer, always signalizing to really listen to the questions and try to give the right answer, hold eye contact and in general show a lot of respect to the other person.
I really like this guy.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Interviews-Henry-Anderson-Babbitt-Jones-Robinson-3480/

tav1
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/66760/nba_draft_dish_wall_defends_cousins_attitude_by_sa ying_hes_a_good_guy

It's strange that Henry "lied" at first by saying he hasn't worked out with Spurs.
Maybe he thought that it could hurt his draft stock, maybe Spurs asked him to keep the workout quiet. If Spurs want him they will need to trade up and it's more costly/difficult to trade up when teams know what player you specifically target. In both scenario, it's a fail.

IMO, if Spurs want to trade up Memphis at #12 could be a good target. Henry not being sure to work out with them could be a sign that they aren't really high on him. They don't need bigmen or SF (if they keep Gay) that will be BPA at #12 and they haven't a first round pick next year. So, #12 for #20 and Spurs 2011 first round pick could make sense.

He told me two different things on different days. First day, it was 7-17. Second day it was 7-17, maybe 18. Then I asked specifically about the Spurs and he said 7-17, maybe 18 and definitely the Spurs. I'm not reading too much into it, other than Henry's camp seems to be making an exception for San Antonio.

mountainballer
05-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Player: Xavier Henry
No step vert:28.5
Max vert: 36.5
Bench press (185 lbs): 8
Lane agility: 11.1
3/4 court sprint: 3.18

one of the concerns about him have been, that he was labeled as an average athlete. but this numbers are pretty good. especially the sprint time is great, considering a lack of quickness was one of the mostly (and wrongly) mentioned issues.
unfortunately size, lenghts and athleticism will push him closer to #10 than to #20.

duncan228
05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
NBA Draft Big Board: Top 75 Players (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/26/draft.big.board.1/index.html)
SI.com

12 Xavier Henry
Kansas, Freshman
6-6, 210, 19 years old
SG
Polished wing player with terrific perimeter shooting ability (42 percent from downtown) and a nice feel for the game. Has an NBA body and the size and length to play either wing position. Just an average ball-handler, Henry doesn't share the upside of some of the other freshmen in this class, but is more of a sure thing at the same time.

Mr. Body
06-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Golden State could reach for this guy as high as #6.

rayray2k8
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Golden State could reach for this guy as high as #6.

Warriors Interested In Xavier Henry At No. 6

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67077/20100608/warriors_interested_in_xavier_henry_at_no_6/

Warriors general manager Larry Riley says he prefers to draft the best player available rather than go with need.

Golden State owns the No. 6 pick in this month's NBA Draft.

Kansas guard Xavier Henry believes the team is interested in him, but they already have an overabundance of wing players.

"They made it clear that they were really interested in me," Henry said Monday. "I think I showed them everything they wanted to see. I think I should at least be in contention for it."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67077/20100608/warriors_interested_in_xavier_henry_at_no_6/#ixzz0qHNw7DIO

DesignatedT
06-08-2010, 11:42 AM
damn 6? thats pretty high. golden state be crazy though.

Mr. Body
06-08-2010, 01:34 PM
GSW is almost totally inconsequential as far as the rest of the league goes. Other than the epic beat-down of the Mavs in the first round, and most of those players aren't even there anymore, they haven't been consequential in a decade. They're worse than the Clippers.

Chieflion
06-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Drafting at 6-18 is a crapshoot in a draft like this. The Warriors are probably thinking of trading down to draft Henry if they really like him and trade away the "Moped".

AFBlue
06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
From DX SF Situational Stats...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503

• Xavier Henry’s complementary role at Kansas highlights what he brings to the table as a role-player on the next level.

With a host of other prospects around him, Xavier Henry wasn’t asked to take over games. Rather, he was asked to spot up off the ball and take advantage of his opportunities. Henry’s 1.012 PPP overall ranks him sixth in our group and seems to indicates that he played his comparably small role (12.1 Pos/G) admirably.

Though he did his fair share of running on the wing of Kansas’ break, Henry’s transition numbers aren’t spectacular, but his 0.994 PPP in half court situations (5th) represent how effective he is when the game slows down. With 35.9% of his offensive touches coming in spot up situations, Henry’s set shooting ability ranks him highly as a drive and kick option. His 1.1 PPP in spot-up situations is a byproduct of his ability to hit catch and shoot jumpers with (1.26 PPS, 6th) or without (1.16 PPS, average) a hand in his face. His pull up jumper remains a bit suspect by comparison, as he hits just 28.6% of his shots off the dribble.

In 2.1 shot attempts per-game in finishing situations, Henry’s 1.12 points per-possessions rank right around average for this group. Looking at where his shots are coming from, he received a total of 7.1% of his possessions last season in one-on-one (1.048 PPP, 1st) or post up (1.2 PPP, 3rd) situations, indicating that he received little opportunity to create shots for himself. His lack of touches in those situations make his highly ranked efficiency numbers a bit misleading to say the least.

On the next level, Henry will likely find himself player a similar role to the one he played last season early in his career. A highly capable spot up shooter who has a chiseled physique and brings solid defensive intensity, he’s tailored to be a useful player right away for some teams and could blossom into a very effective offensive wing if he continues to develop.

This kid seems to have the game to be able to contribute sooner rather than later (excellent catch and shoot player...perfect for kick-outs from penetrators) and still has the upside to improve his game beyond its current role-player focus.

I hope the Spurs trade up to get this kid, because I'm pretty sure there's no way he makes it to 20.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I really like this guy too. He's got all the necessary tools needed for a team, like the Spurs, that is looking for a young, athletic SF. Besides that, he seems to have a wonderful, Spurs-like, attitude, to boot. I would expect him to transition very well to the next level. Because he apparently already has an NBA body and game, it does seem as though he could step in and play sooner rather than later. Something to think about if RJ is traded or walks.

One would have to think that Paul George would likely be the Spurs first choice, if they stay at #20. And the possibility of him falling that far is highly unlikely. If George is indeed gone by then, I believe this Xavier Henry kid would make a wonderful second choice. Because of Buford's relationship with Kansas coach Bill Self, you just know the Spurs know everything there is to know about Henry. For all we know, that fact, along with the fact that he seems to have "gotten over himself" already, may even make him the likely preferred target of the Spurs.

Personally, I think he'd fit in very nicely with the Spurs and I hope he's available at their selection. Even if it means moving up a few spots just to get him, he probably be worth it.

SenorSpur
06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Baring injury Henry will be gone by 20, and will not play much even if we draft him next year. George also is a full court player and struggles in the half court game so unless we are gonna be a run and gun team next year I dont see us going after him.

To me, that's EXACTLY the reason RJ struggled so much with the Spurs. He is the kind of player that flourishes in the open court and has been known to struggle in the half court.

With the type of system the Spurs employ, a wing player MUST:

a) consistently knock down open shots
b) put the ball on the floor and get to the FT line
c) create offense for himself and others
d) have the skills and desire needed adequately defend other wing players

That all sounds like a lot and it really is. Obviously, very few incoming rookie SFs well-rounded enough to do all those things. The majority can do one or two things, but not all. For that matter, there aren't a ton of NBA SFs, who can do all those things.

George and Henry may be rare exceptions. Even though they both may struggle their first year or so, they have outstanding skill sets and a good upside. Whichever team and coaching staff gets them, will have a tremendous affect on their growth and development. As long as they're both willing to keep working hard, they should be fine.

SenorSpur
06-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I like Henry more than George, and while I agree with you on most of what your said I think RJ will have a very good year. The spurs will find ways to get him involved and my bet is he is shooting 500 threes a day.

Hes in a contract year so if he craps out he might be a good trade chip.

The only sf I see comming in a doing anything this year is gonna be Turner. James could do well if he landed in the right spot.....Johnson will struggle in Min.

For some reason, I have a feeling that Henry is the preferred choice of R.C. and the Spurs' scouting staff. Much like Paul George, I don't expect that he'll be availabe @ #20th pick. Now, whether the Spurs can maneuver themselves into position to have a better shot at nabbing him earlier than #20, that is another story.

ChuckD
06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
For some reason, I have a feeling that Henry is the preferred choice of R.C. and the Spurs' scouting staff. Much like Paul George, I don't expect that he'll be availabe @ #20th pick. Now, whether the Spurs can maneuver themselves into position to have a better shot at nabbing him earlier than #20, that is another story.

It's not a total mystery. Bill Self, Kansas' head coach, is a good friend of RC's. He probably steers him towards (or away from...yes, I'm talking about you, Darrell Arthur) certain players from his team.

SenorSpur
06-20-2010, 05:21 PM
It's not a total mystery. Bill Self, Kansas' head coach, is a good friend of RC's. He probably steers him towards (or away from...yes, I'm talking about you, Darrell Arthur) certain players from his team.

Yeah, I knew that. What I'm wondering is just how strongly the Spurs feel about Henry? Do they like him to make a bold move up to go get him? Or do they like Paul George, just a bit more. It'd be interesting to see how they've ranked both these guys.

K-State Spur
06-21-2010, 08:18 AM

i'm not sure that factors in much beyond just maybe a tiebreaker between two players.

chalmers and hill were pretty similar players (undersized 2s with limited PG skills, good shooting range, solid defenders with long arms who could guard both guard slots) who were projected in the same range - and we went Hill all the way.

timvp
06-23-2010, 05:19 AM
If Henry is on the board, he's practically an automatic pick. It's highly unlikely, though.

Trading up to get him around 16 would probably be a smart move. With the RC and Self connection, the Spurs may have the confidence to trade up in the draft for the first time in forever.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 05:50 AM
IMO, Henry is the guy Spurs will target if they are able to move up a little.

Two month ago, Henry was seen as a best prospect than George, Hayward and Babbitt. It looks like he has now a chance of being drafted being these 3 guys. Throwing cash and/or a future first round pick could be enough to get him.

Also keep in mind that something strange has happened with him when he has hidden his workout with Spurs. :stirpot:

lurker23
06-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Of the guys who seem to be "realistically get-able," Henry is probably my top choice. If you had to list some of the top needs for the Spurs, near the top would be: athleticism, length, defense, and perimeter shooting. With all of those, but especially with the last one, Xavier Henry fits the bill.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 06:07 AM
I know that George got a lot of hype here and also on most draft boards.
If I had the chance to decide between either (because we moved up for example) I would go with Henry anytime.
I like the potential and the size of George and he might have the higher ceiling, but I still see George as a high risk pick and my gut feeling says hands off.
meanwhile I really can't see how a guy with a shot as perfect and beautiful as Henry's doesn't succeed, at least as a role player.

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
If Henry is on the board, he's practically an automatic pick. It's highly unlikely, though.

Trading up to get him around 16 would probably be a smart move. With the RC and Self connection, the Spurs may have the confidence to trade up in the draft for the first time in forever.

The gamble is that moving up to 16 may not be high enough. Many mock drafts I've seen have Henry going in the 14-17 range. The Spurs would probably have to move up to 12 or 13 to be assured of getting him.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Damn Henry's shot is pretty

rascal
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
IMO, Henry is the guy Spurs will target if they are able to move up a little.

Two month ago, Henry was seen as a best prospect than George, Hayward and Babbitt. It looks like he has now a chance of being drafted being these 3 guys. Throwing cash and/or a future first round pick could be enough to get him.

Also keep in mind that something strange has happened with him when he has hidden his workout with Spurs. :stirpot:

This is why I did not want the spurs to make the playoffs. Picking 14 is much better than picking 20.

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
This is why I did not want the spurs to make the playoffs. Picking 14 is much better than picking 20.

Those 5 home games worth of playoff revenue were sorely needed to offset some of the tax burden, though. Imagine the Spurs missing the playoffs, drafting Henry at 14, but then Holt isn't willing to pay Splitter because the tax is already too high.

Sissiborgo
06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I think Xavier would be a solid SG/SF if we trade RJ cuz he sucked last season and does not fit in the spurs.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 09:15 AM
The gamble is that moving up to 16 may not be high enough. Many mock drafts I've seen have Henry going in the 14-17 range. The Spurs would probably have to move up to 12 or 13 to be assured of getting him.

That's why the possibility of trading up to obtain Indiana's 10th pick is a delicious one. At that spot, the Spurs could likely have their pick of the remaining SFs - including Henry. At that spot, only Wesley Johnson is a lock to be gone.

angelbelow
07-25-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68351/20100725/standoff_between_grizzlies_henry_continues/

"The Grizzlies still haven't signed first-round pick Xavier Henry to a rookie deal.

Henry sat out all of this month's Las Vegas Summer League.

Memphis has refused to offer Henry the maximum amount allowed, which equates to a 2010-11 salary of $2 million, without Henry agreeing to tie $300,000 of that to performance bonuses.

Henry and agent Arn Tellem think the incentive clauses are out of line and won't sign.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said Sunday that the issue remains unresolved, but that Henry hasn't requested that the team trade him.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68351/20100725/standoff_between_grizzlies_henry_continues/#ixzz0ukKr55ou"

What does everyone think of the situation?

Im not too familiar with the situation but It seems like Henry is holding out because he doesnt like the incentive clause? What happens to henry if he refuses to sign? does he demand a trade or even play in europe? surely the grizzles arent in a hurry to add him now that they have Gay signed to the max, what are the chances hes traded?

Chieflion
07-25-2010, 08:35 PM
I think he will still sign eventually.

Ditty
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I wouldnt think a future 1st round pick would do it maybe throw in anderson if were able to do that? I dont think we can

MarCowMar
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Memphis has refused to offer Henry the maximum amount allowed, which equates to a 2010-11 salary of $2 million, without Henry agreeing to tie $300,000 of that to performance bonuses.

Memphis are clueless on negotiations. They overpay Gay by about $40 million and then bicker with their rookie over 300k?

Mr. Body
07-25-2010, 09:34 PM
How chintzy can Memphis be? Awful organization.

8FOR!3
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I'd be willing to give up Gary Neal and some future picks for him, but nothing more than that. I don't think he's worth RJ (they wouldn't take on his contract and give up more than Henry anyways) and I think Anderson is a better player right now tbh.

SenorSpur
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
The Grizzlies can now join company with the Warriors, Knicks, Hornets and Clippers, the absolute worst front office in the NBA. This is just plain stupid.