View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Elli0t Williams

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2009/12/02/tigers3_t607.jpg
Height: 6-4
Weight: 180 lbs
Birthday: 06/20/1989
College: Memphis

DraftExpress (http://tinyurl.com/2elyw6o)
nbadraft (http://tinyurl.com/2ewel98)

Guess why I didn't type his full first name. :lol

mountainballer
04-01-2010, 05:46 AM
different estimations about Williams entering the draft or go back to school.
DX and nbadraft.net have him in 2011, but I think there is a good chance he decides to enter this years draft.
that's why:
Memphis has been recruiting big time this year. they bring in the countries top SG prospect (Barton) and one of the top PG prospects (Jackson) plus another high potential SG (Kendrick). very unlikely that Williams will get as many touches as this season and worst case he is outplayed by Barton and/or Jackson. if this happens his numbers will go down significantly.

and the other reason is the lack of 1st round SGs in this class. Williams would likely be the #3 SG behind Turner and Henry and likely ranked higher than Anderson, Warren and Bradley. so he should be a sure fire 1st round pick.

if he joins the draft, he likely will be available at #19-22.

what do you guys think? Williams does have tons of potential, on offense as well as on defense. he has the skill set to once grow into Manu's role.
Williams could become a NBA player somewhere between Jamal Crawford and Rudy Fernandez.
(sure, also a lot of bust potential there and he becomes the next Quincy Douby.)

5in10
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
love him as a spurs prospect. Athletic, has a decent jumper that can be altered to make it better and is a lefty. im all for him.

Dex
04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Go Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_!

:)

jjktkk
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I would take a flyer on him with a 2nd rounder. Ideally thought, I would like the Spurs draft a similar player, but a guy with more size.

exstatic
04-02-2010, 12:49 AM
I would take a flyer on him with a 2nd rounder. Ideally thought, I would like the Spurs draft a similar player, but a guy with more size.

He won't be available in the second round, and if you want a player with his given skill set and bigger size, you probably have to move up 2-3 draft spots from Williams projected 19-22 spot for every inch taller that you want him.

Bruno
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2010-NBA-Combine-Storylines-3472/

Elli0t Williams is not in Chicago at all after suffering a minor knee injury this week. His coach at Memphis, Josh Pastner, told us via text that “he is OK” and that the injury is “nothing serious.”

Williams’ agent, Thad Foucher told us that ""Elli0t banged knees with another player in a workout in San Antonio and stayed in L.A. to rehab. It’s nothing too serious and he should be back in action by the end of the month."

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Brun0 with the loophole FTW! :lmao

The Truth #6
05-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Smmmoooottthhh.

It does sound like some sort of CIA agreement...or it's just a knee injury.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
that dude thats guarding him from oakland #1 hes a beast

Mr. Body
05-23-2010, 03:03 AM
We're totally taking this guy. 'Bumping knees' is another Nicholas Batum special.

Thompson
05-23-2010, 03:47 AM
He's not in the draft combine measurements. I hope if we do take him he's taller/longer than currently thought.

mountainballer
06-01-2010, 02:58 AM
from todays podcast with Jonathan Givony:

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#DX-Podcast-Jonathan-Givony-and-Dan-Wolken-3489
-The buzz around E_liot Williams and whether he has a promise from the San Antonio Spurs

he says that there are talks that Williams might have a promise from Spurs and that this was the reason why he got "injured" in the workout in SA. also mentions that some teams that clearly have picks in his expected area (like Grizzlies) find out it's difficult to get something scheduled with him at all. for a borderline 1st rounder this is pretty remarkable.

the fact that he didn't show up in Chicago makes him even more of a dark horse. could the Spurs think that he is a premium talent, but under the radar? why not. one thing can be said about him for sure: this kid has as complete a skill set like any player in this draft outside Evan Turner.
if the Spurs main criteria is, how does a player fit with George Hill to create the Spurs back court of the next decade, Williams might in fact be the answer.

Bruno
06-01-2010, 04:53 AM
It seems weird that Spurs promises a quite high pick to a player like Williams. I don't buy it.

Maybe his knee injury is worse than reported and that is the reason why teams have a hard time to get him in a workout.

mountainballer
06-01-2010, 05:08 AM
on the other hand: we know Pop/RC don't really care if the pick is to "high" by mainstream opinion, if they want a player (see Ian, see Hill)
I can see what they might like about Williams. (even if he doesn't exactly fill an area of urgent need). he is in many regards a 6-4 (maybe 6-5) version of George Hill and his game has also some similarities to a young Manu. there isn't much he can't do. (except maybe defend the big guards from the 220+lbs department). if they think he can also run a team offense on the NBA level (run it better than Hill can), he will become even more intriguing.

Bruno
06-01-2010, 05:39 AM
I don't doubt that it's possible that Spurs really like him. What I doubt is that they've made him a promise with the 20th pick more than one month before the draft and while risks he is drafted before Spurs' pick seem low.

To me, odds that his injury is legit are way higher than it's some sort of CIA move to hide him from other teams. Spurs have done a lot of tricky things in the past but sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

mountainballer
06-01-2010, 06:43 AM
To me, odds that his injury is legit are way higher than it's some sort of CIA move to hide him from other teams. Spurs have done a lot of tricky things in the past but sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

90% that you are right.
(still 10% to fill a board with some speculations)
but one thing can be assumed....this guy isn't injured.
(otherwise he is a twitter maniac with a false identity)
http://twitter.com/ewill901

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/may/23/tough-choice/
Williams raised eyebrows when he suddenly withdrew from the draft combine last week in Chicago with what his camp has called a minor knee injury. Some NBA executives wondered why Williams didn't at least attend to be measured and interviewed.

There, too, was speculation that Williams simply might have received a guarantee from one team. Either way, Memphis coach Josh Pastner contends Williams made an intelligent decision to leave school after his sophomore season.

"From all of the information we've gathered he's going to be a first-round pick," said Pastner, who confirmed that Williams banged knees with another player during a workout with the San Antonio Spurs and is not seriously injured. "His character and everything else is a plus. Plus, teams love his athleticism."

Williams continues to work out in Los Angeles, where he's been preparing for the draft. Friday afternoon while the NBA's draft combine was in full swing for a second day, Williams used his Twitter account to confirm his relative health.

"Finished working out.. Get @ me Twitter fam."

Williams' agent, Thad Foucher told DraftExpress.com that his client "should be back in action by the end of the month."

today:
good morning.... no workouts today but i still may get some shots up.. get @ me twitter fam!!!!!

Saturday:
Good morning Twitter... About to eat some breakfast then get ready for this first wrkout.... Get @ me

Friday:
hello world! getting ready for this early morning workout......

Thursday:
just finished my work out... watching jeepers creepers on syfy!!!! lol

Wednesday:
just finished my last workout.... listening to the Carter 2.. love the old wayne

Tuesday:
Just finished getting some shots up... At California pizza watching the game! Who you all think will pull out with the win?????

Saturday 22nd
up here in la working out.. U still in Durham?

Friday 21st
Finished working out.. Get @ me Twitter fam

Bruno
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Interesting.
We will see if he will again work out with teams before the draft. If there isn't a single report of a workout, the theory that a team has made him a promise before the Chicago combine will have some serious legs.

Blackjack
06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
if the Spurs main criteria is, how does a player fit with George Hill to create the Spurs back court of the next decade, Williams might in fact be the answer.

This is what I've been alluding to when I've mentioned the thought of looking for a Triangle-like backcourt or an Eric Snow for Hill. There's little question that George is a big part of their future and that they're going to have to find the best way to utilize him to get the most out of him. Having another playmaker in the backcourt with enough size to consistently guard the two or share defensive responsibilities would be absolutely ideal; having it be with a younger player that he can grow with could be more than ideal.

I agree with Bruno that a promise this early and for a guy that should be available later than 20 doesn't seem to make much sense. But if the Spurs have targeted him, maybe they believe they can get another asset by trading down and selecting Williams?

There's definitely some smoke, as mountainballer astutely points out, but it's just too early to tell. This team has just forced me to always be on guard and expect that they're putting up a smokescreen before revealing their hand. They could very well just be planting a seed in hopes of getting someone else to bite on him early so that their real target might actually fall to them.

Edit: And if it is Williams, I hope his #15 is available. :hat

The Truth #6
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Blackjack,

I like your idea of the Spurs creating interest in him to get other teams to bite. Seems devious, but if they're worried about someone they want getting snagged a few spots before them then it makes an interesting theory.

Perhaps the Batum incident has inspired them to employ all smoke screens possible.

But in the end...who really knows.

Given that most people assume we need a SF for our first priority, based on past experiences of being surprised, I'm expecting us to do something unexpected and draft for another position, such as SG. With Parker potentially creating trade offers, who we draft might not be as surprising when seen as part of some other grand plan that will only make sense later.

Anyway, interestintg to speculate.

And as someone else pointed out a while back, Twitter is something that gives us bizarre insights into players' movements and actions. It's a PR monkey wrench.

Blackjack
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Twitter really has changed the world of sports. It's been a godsend to fans. :lol

TD 21
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I could see it. Supposedly good character, explosive athlete, strong on ball defender, defensive potential in general and off the radar as far as the 20th pick goes. Not a good shooter, but his stroke supposedly looks good. Not a PG, but he can handle the ball some and make plays. He sounds a lot like Hill. The Spurs probably think that they can work with him to become a good shooter and to play some PG.

It may or may not mean anything, but if he's drafted, it will give credence to the notion that the Spurs are going to trade Parker. With Ginobili, Hill, Williams, De Colo and possibly Temple, all in the pipeline at guard, I won't say they'd loaded, but they'd be well stocked going forward.

As much as many of us say the Spurs need an SF, I could see them viewing Hairston as more of an SF than an SG. Udoka played SF, as did Bogans, at least down the stretch and they're both a similar build to Hairston. Granted, they aren't the athlete that Hairston is, but their ball skills or lack thereof are similar. In addition to him, Gee is more SF than SG and they could easily sign an SF for the vet minimum. So, maybe for this season at least, they look at it like SF is not that pressing a need, though you'd think they'd want to start grooming a long term successor for the position.

Maybe they just assume that George and Babbitt won't be available at 20 and they're not all that enamored with the alternative options at SF. Or it could just be a smokescreen like Blackjack says, or flat out misinformation, which there's no shortage of at this time of year.

The Truth #6
06-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I thought Hill said the Spurs told him they would draft him?

The Truth #6
06-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Thinking about it some more I can see the logic that a SG is a pressing need. RJ isn't great but he's very durable and there's no way he's opting out and quite possibly no one will want to trade for him. So the Spurs ride out his contract, wear him into dust, hope he improves, and wait for a SF the next year.

Also, the one player needing the most rest is actually Manu. And if we get a solid SG now then we can rest Manu for the playoffs. Not sure if this has been stated already but it's a theory and I'm sticking to it. Ha.

Thompson
06-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Hey everyone! I have something to REPEAT for the third time. Teams don't promise picks! At all!!

You're right, that does make the Spurs' promise to Williams even more intriguing...

mountainballer
06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone! I have something to REPEAT for the third time. Teams don't promise picks! At all!!

yup. you are right. except when they like a player.

mountainballer
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
they can say it was only the 2nd rounder

dbestpro
06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Players that I liked have moved up the board and look like they will no longer be available when the Spurs draft. Williams very well may be the best player available when the Spurs draft.

Bruno
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Spurs DO promise picks. They did it for Mahinmi and Batum.

Mr. Body
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Higher picks are more likely to be promised. It does seem rare, but is done to keep guys from working out for other teams. Later in the round too much can happen to bother with it.

oligarchy
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Text conversation

ME: Hey Ian, did the Spurs promise you that 28th pick they used on you?

IAN: Promise? Naw but they told me they really liked me after a second workout. Why?

ME: I'm trying to tell people that teams don't promise their draft picks to players.

IAN: Haha well the Clippers did promise Blake Griffin their first pick

lulz. Stop pretending to be some insider, it makes you look like a bigger douche. "Naw" lol. Have you ever heard him speak?

Text conversation:

ME: Hey Nicholas, did the Spurs promise you that 25th pick they used on George Hill?

NICHOLAS: Sheeiit man, dats right dey did jeefus.

ME: Thanks. You are an alright dude.

NICHOLAS: You best be knowin's dat.

oligarchy
06-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Was I not being painfully sarcastic? All Im saying is that if the Spurs do draft Elli0t Williams I will stop posting here.

I guess it was sarcasm, like all your other "insider" bullshit. How about you just stop posting regardless of if they do or don't draft him?

There's nothing that really says that they made him the guarantee. As of now, it's just an assumption. So, if they don't draft him it wouldn't mean that you are right. If the do draft him, though, I think that would show that they did offer him a promise.

stnick2261
06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Nope. Actually the Spurs tried all day on draft day to sell or trade that pick. There were not any attractive offers and the Spurs drafted Hill. On top of that it took forever to get Hill's contract worked out despite the rookie scale (the reason Hill is making the minimum next season oddly enough).

But the reason no one is promised a pick is because, and I will say this once, IT IS STUPID!!!

What are you talking about? The Spurs wanted Hill and didn't think Batum was gonna fall to them. When Batum started falling, they started calling around to try and buy another 1st rd pick to get both. They weren't trying to sell their pick.

stnick2261
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
What? No, all day the Spurs wanted to trade that pick, no attractive offers came up, Batum was drafted a few picks ahead so the Spurs drafted another player they liked. Then the Lakers made an offer for Hill which included Jordan Farmar. The Spurs figured at that point if the Lakers liked him enough to give up a proven back up point guard then they should keep Hill.

That draft day I was in a chat room with a spurs insider (who doesn't share info often, but is never wrong)... as Batum was falling (we were monitoring his status), the Spurs were trying to buy the 24th pick in addition to their 26th pick. The deal didn't get done in time and he went 25th.

Edit: Oh, and it's not like the Spurs were drafting a player they never heard of in the 1st rd (and passing up other players)... and only decided to keep him after the Lakers wanted him... that would have been stupid

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey you little fuck, I don't have to share anything I hear with you guys and I don't even share everything I do hear. Especially to little 17 year olds like you who use "lulz" thinking it will insult me.

:lol

At the 1:10 mark:

Y7S_XWuKpHc

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 02:22 PM

At the 1:10 mark:

Y7S_XWuKpHc

He's right. Jane Curtain was a slut. I know. :eyebrows

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
He's right. Jane Curtain was a slut. I know. :eyebrows

And the legend that is Blackjack continues to grow.

stnick2261
06-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Trust me on this one, I heard it from someone who has direct contract with Pop. And the Spurs were going to keep Hill regardless, but the best offer on the 26th pick was when the Lakers proposed the Farmar trade. While I have never asked about Batum I wouldn't doubt they wanted to draft up a little to get him, but I have never asked and don't really care. No point in crying over split milk right?

The person I'm talking about has direct contact with Pop as well. And I was talking about what he was telling us during the draft, not after... but I do agree with you that teams don't often make promises without a clarifier like, "If you are available at spot 20, we'll take you.... unless something crazy happens like Blair has no ACLs".

oligarchy
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey you little fuck, I don't have to share anything I hear with you guys and I don't even share everything I do hear. Especially to little 17 year olds like you who use "lulz" thinking it will insult me. And it isn't "inside info" that the Spurs don't promise picks, it is common fuckin knowlegde. Teams can easily say that, hey we're likely to draft you if you're still on the board, but no team nor agent will truely believe a promise to any said player.

17? Little fuck? :lol Sounds like somebody has a hard time with truth. If you are older than me, I'd be surprised. You don't share everything because you know dick. Figuratively -- you fucking moron. I don't use lulz to insult you, you fucking moron. That's me laughing at your fucking stupidity. Nowhere did I say that it was "inside info" about promising picks; how about you go back to school and learn to read? It is quite helpful when you are trying to argue some fucking asinine point. Yes, it's quite common knowledge that teams don't promise picks. God. You really believe that.

Put yourself in an agent's shoes for half a second and think about this, you're player is in that "might be a first round, could fall to the second round" group. A few things can happen here that might screw you out of that 10%. 1) Your player hurts himself, he can't play to his best ability and could hurt his draft value. 2) a team tells your player they really like him and the kid wants to stop working out for other teams because it's a waste of time if those teams pick after. That is a huge mistake. And 3) What happens if John Wall falls to the 20th pick? Will the Spurs pass him up because of some promise? How about Paul George or Xavier Henry, two players who can easily fill needs and help the Spurs from day 1. Do the Spurs pass those two players who should be gone by 20 anyways?

Yes. John Wall is definitely falling to the 20th pick. Moron!

What if the 76ers offer the Spurs Iggy for Jefferson and that 20th pick? I know it's not possible, but if it were would the Spurs really pass that chance up because of some promise? And lets say that the Spurs do trade away the 20th pick because an offer is too good to be true, Elli0t Williams has lowered his value because he didn't go to the combine, he stopped working out for teams and now he could fall into the second round. That is less money for the agent right there.

Again, this isn't "inside info" this is logic. Gilbert was "promised" the 25th pick by the Kings as a draft prospect. That didn't turn out well as we all see. I'll bring up Andre Iguodala again, he was "promised" that pick with Billy King telling him "Hey, if you're on the board at 9, we'll most likely take you." Billy King was wise because what if Emeka Okafor had fallen to 9? It would have been hard to pass him up.

That's the chance that players and agents take. You play out the scenario in your head anyway you want to try to justify why players wouldn't want to go on a promise, while it will continue to happen in actuality. You think players aren't promised picks? Teams can fuck over any player they want in a draft and promise them anything. If something more tangible comes up, doesn't mean they can't back out of it. :lol

It's more likely the scenario that it doesn't happen often because agents are smart enough to not skip out on things -- like working out for other teams with higher picks -- when they know if there isn't a contract, there is no "guarantee." It's merely team X promising a player that if they are they will take them. Again, they don't have to take them -- they merely gave themselves more outs. By the same token, the player may get drafted ahead of the promising team -- ala Nicholas Batum.

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I think there's something wrong with your quote thing, oligarchy. It's substituting Dick and Anus where Chamberlain usually goes.

mountainballer
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
What? No, all day the Spurs wanted to trade that pick, no attractive offers came up, Batum was drafted a few picks ahead so the Spurs drafted another player they liked. Then the Lakers made an offer for Hill which included Jordan Farmar. The Spurs figured at that point if the Lakers liked him enough to give up a proven back up point guard then they should keep Hill.

uh oh. you might have burned some synapses by writing post #40 of this thread, but are aware of what you just told us? (after thankfully telling us so much about how a NBA FO works). our genious FO needed the Lakers to see what they just got in Hill????

like you, I also just imagined a conversation....

Pop: hey RC what's up.
RC: someone from LA called. he wants George Hill.
Pop: who?
RC: the guy we drafted.
Pop: we did? WTF. I told you to trade the pick.
RC: I tried, really. called Houston. they said they take the pick if we add Splitter.
Pop: Bastards. they won't rest till they got all our Argies. but why did you pick a guy with such a name, from - where?
RC: IUPUI
Pop: Yippie-ki-yay?
RC: no. IUPUI in Indiana. that's a college. sort of.
Pop: jesus, what did you smoke?
RC: you told me, if you don't know who to pick, just take a guy from a place none knows.....
Pop: god damn, I was talking about unknown countries far away not a f*cking red neck school in f*cking Indiana. Moldavian. Macedonia. Austria. there you go.
RC: they don't have basketball players in Austr....
Pop: now shut up! tell me what Kubrick wanted.
RC: Kupchak.
Pop: you want this 2000 $ bottle of Italian wine go conversely thru your body....
RC: sorry. he wanted George Hill and offerd Jordan Farmer.
Pop: Jordan Farmer? the point guard?
RC: yes. that Farmer.
Pop: hmmm. we could use another point guard.
RC: but Hill is also a point guard. sort of.
Pop: hmmmm. that f*cking little p*ick Kubrick thinks that I'm his b*tch Chris Wallace. that Farmer kid is not bad you know. if Kubrick offers him, our boy is at least as good as their guy Volcanic.
RC: Vujacic?
Pop: some wine?
RC: no, thanks. what should I tell him.
Pop: tell him to go to hell. and that we know that Gregg Hall is good. to good to trade him for a f*cking back up point guard.
RC: George Hill
RC: Indiana George
Pop: ah him. thank god they didn't offer that guy Mbongo. I might have answerd they can have our guy, but only if they change the offer to Farmer.
RC: Mbenga
Pop: UNCORKED!

spurs50_
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Hell no, we don't need any more shortys.

admiralsnackbar
06-02-2010, 03:58 PM
uh oh. you might have burned some synapses by writing post #40 of this thread, but are aware of what you just told us? (after thankfully telling us so much about how a NBA FO works). our genious FO needed the Lakers to see what they just got in Hill????

like you, I also just imagined a conversation....

RC: I tried, really. called Houston. they said they take the pick if we add Splitter.
Pop: Bastards. they won't rest till they got all our Argies. but why did you pick a guy with such a name, from - where?
RC: you told me, if you don't know who to pick, just take a guy from a place none knows.....
Pop: god damn, I was talking about unknown countries far away not a f*cking red neck school in f*cking Indiana. Moldavian. Macedonia. Austria. there you go.
Pop: you want this 2000 $ bottle of Italian wine go conversely thru your body....
Pop: hmmmm. that f*cking little p*ick Kubrick thinks that I'm his b*tch Chris Wallace. that Farmer kid is not bad you know. if Kubrick offers him, our boy is at least as good as their guy Volcanic.
Pop: tell him to go to hell. and that we know that Gregg Hall is good. to good to trade him for a f*cking back up point guard.
Pop: ah him. thank god they didn't offer that guy Mbongo. I might have answerd they can have our guy, but only if they change the offer to Farmer.

That said, our FO ignorantly going with a pick because Meatch liked him seems amazingly implausible. Lakers got a pretty good piece in Bynum, but otherwise their drafting history of late hasn't been of the kind to deserve any sort of hushed reverent tones or anything.

stnick2261
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Hell no, we don't need any more shortys.

6'4" for a SG isn't tall... but it's not short either. A few quotes from Nbadraft.net:

"At 6'4 with long arms, has the size and length to play either guard position... On ball defense is top notch ... Light on his feet with great lateral quickness. Stays low in his stance. Uses his long wingspan to disrupt opponents and eliminate passing angles ... Reads passing lanes very well (.6 stl per game as a freshman) Great defensive awareness and anticipation ... Not afraid to get his hands dirty and do work on the glass (2.3 rpg) ... Smart kid with good character - shows desire to learn and improve."

The Truth #6
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Take that mee-yotch!!!!

The Truth #6
06-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyway, I remember reading that the FO told Ian they would draft him if he stayed away from the pre draft camps. That sounds like a promise, assuming the article was true. Who really knows. It's big money so I'm sure lies happen all the time.

Mr. Body
06-02-2010, 05:29 PM
The Spurs definitely promised Ian.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
6'4" for a SG isn't tall... but it's not short either. A few quotes from Nbadraft.net:

"At 6'4 with long arms, has the size and length to play either guard position... On ball defense is top notch ... Light on his feet with great lateral quickness. Stays low in his stance. Uses his long wingspan to disrupt opponents and eliminate passing angles ... Reads passing lanes very well (.6 stl per game as a freshman) Great defensive awareness and anticipation ... Not afraid to get his hands dirty and do work on the glass (2.3 rpg) ... Smart kid with good character - shows desire to learn and improve."

Everything about this guy sounds like Spurs material, right down to the being off the radar as far as the 20th pick is concerned.

I'm buying it. Not the promise necessarily, but that the Spurs pick him nonetheless. I can't see George or Babbitt being available at 20 and no other player jumps out as a logical choice.

As I touched on, positionally this may surprise people, but the Spurs aren't exactly stocked with ball handling guards, unless you're sold on Temple. Williams may not be a PG, but by all accounts he's not exactly Hairston when it comes to ball handling, either. He can handle the ball some and make plays.

I also think the Spurs view Hairston, because of his lack of ball skills, as more of an SF than an SG on this team and that the SF's likely to be available at 20, for one reason or another, aren't great fits. So instead of forcing it, they'll go with Hairston, a veteran (I'm guessing Jones) and Gee in reserve of Jefferson. Keep in mind, Ginobili will also see some time at SF when the Spurs go to a three guard alignment with Hill and Parker in the back court. So, while there would still be no long term successor in place, depth wise the Spurs should be fine.

For now at least, I'm plugging Williams into my latest revised version of what I think the team will look like next season...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- Splitter, SG- Hill, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, PF- McDyess, PF- Blair, SF- Jones, SG/SF- Hairston, SG- Williams, PF- Tolliver

Inactive/D-League: SG/PG- Temple, SF/SG- Gee

I'm not even going to guess who the 2nd round pick will be or gauge their chances of making the roster. All things being relatively equal, my guess is their preference would be a big.

The toughest spot to come up with a name for is fifth big. I believe the Spurs will look for a stretch four, but their aren't a ton available or attainable for the LLE or the veteran's minimum and many of the ones that are are worse than fifth bigs. Particularly on a team with two old bigs, who need their fifth big to be a useful player. At this writing, I'm going with Tolliver, even though the Warriors can retain him, if they want to.

lurker23
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM

:lmao:lmao:rollin:lmao:lmao

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 11:53 PM
mountainballer, FTW. :lol

Bruno
06-06-2010, 01:42 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/06/rules-put-clamp-on-camp/

Since leaving school, former Tigers guard Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams has been working out by himself in Los Angeles to prepare for the NBA Draft later this month. Outside of his daily Twitter updates (@ewill901), however, nobody seems to know much about what's going on with Williams or where he stands in the draft process.

Since working out for the San Antonio Spurs, where he reportedly suffered a minor knee injury, Williams has practically dropped out of sight, skipping the Chicago pre-draft combine. According to industry sources, Williams has turned down or ignored invitations recently from at least three teams to come in for workouts.

He is also declining interview requests to explain it all. In a text to The Commercial Appeal on Friday, Williams said he would love to answer questions but he was "busy preparing for the draft" and wouldn't be available until closer to the draft.

One can surmise that Williams' silence comes at the direction of his agent, Thad Foucher, from Wasserman Media Group (Arn Tellem's agency). But what does it mean?

Some have speculated that Williams received a promise from the Spurs that they would use the No. 20 pick on him if he's still available. Others wonder if Williams is perhaps more injured than he's letting on, though those in direct contact with the Williams camp insist he's fine and Williams' Twitter updates indicate that he is working out daily.

It really starts to look strange with Williams turning down interviews and workouts.

The Truth #6
06-06-2010, 01:54 AM
I wonder if these tricks by the FO actually help achieve their goals? It could be bait to get another team to take him to push one of their targeted SFs down to the 20th pick...but that sounds like a stretch.

The Truth #6
06-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Fake tweets about exploratory surgeries would be hilarious.

ChuckD
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
So would redirected links to the draft sites in the original post. Oh, wait.....

Chieflion
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Please don't draft him. We will have a hard time spelling his name.

mountainballer
06-07-2010, 10:00 AM
from where ever I look at this situation, something is going on. (this doesn't necessarily mean the Spurs are involved)
usually the borderline 1st rounders are the guys that try as hard as any to get into contact and work out with as many teams as possible. with good reasons.
and usually an agency tries to get their client into that workouts.
the other suspicion, that he is more injured than reported (which would indicate that his twitter reports are faked) and they try to hide it. IMO totally without legs. Wasserman is the by far biggest agency group in the NBA. they have tons of lottery projects and big money stars under contract, they would never ever risk their reputation to somehow trick a team and push a player into the late 1st round. they have players like Williams dime a dozen. I think they are pretty pragmatic: they have a player with a realistic 20-40 draft range, they have a "promise" for a spot in the upper area of this range.... deal done, case closed. they do their part (cancel all workouts with other teams, reject all invitations) and trust that the team sticks with their word. (pick the player, even if surprisingly another player drops). the team also wouldn't risk a conflict with one of the most powerful agencies, just because of a pick. (note: we are not talking about franchise talents)

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
When a player totally shuts down workouts and interviews, he got a draft promise from someone, and someone that he and his agent trusts.

BTW, if Cole Aldrich and/or Ed Davis drop down close to the 20s, it just means NBA GMs are doing their jobs for once. Aldrich might not even sniff the first round if he had played in the MAC, or the Colonial.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Can someone help me out here? He played at Duke and then he played at Memphis. Did he red shirt a year? I'm missing something.

He played at Duke his first year and transferred to Memphis for his Sophomore year. The NCAA let him play immediately without having to sit out a year because he was transferring to be close to his mom who was really sick or something. not sure if she passed or what.

is this what you're asking?

Mel_13
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Bruno,

The links in the OP do not point to DX and nbadraft. Linking to something in French.

lmbebo
06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
said his mom had breast cancer somewhere

mountainballer
06-08-2010, 04:44 AM
damn. totally ignored the hometown aspect.
THIS would be the most logic explanation.
all teams are looking at the Spurs, because this was his only work out.
but the Grizzlies have the #25 (and #28 pick).
of course they should know a player pretty well, who starred for Memphis University and who grew up and starred for a highschool in a suburb of Memphis.
would those guys necessarily need a workout to know about Williams? likely not.
and Williams already changed his college to be closer to his family.
what could such a player have asked his agent for?
try to get me on my hometown team!
and the Grizzlies could easily have promised one of their late 1st rounders to him. they even would have good use for a versatile combo guard, who can back up Mayo and Conley.
the whole SA story might just have been a coincident! (the Memphis promise might have come in when he worked out in SA)

Bruno
06-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Bruno,

The links in the OP do not point to DX and nbadraft. Linking to something in French.

Thanks, fixed.

MaNu4Tres
06-08-2010, 07:38 AM
From the information provided explaining how he's refused to work out with other teams after his workout with the Spurs (because of a minor knee injury, yet according to his twitter he is still working out daily), makes me believe there's more than just smoke regarding him and the Spurs.

We know the skill level is there for him to be a respectable pick at #20 as many posters have elaborated on prior to this post.

If George or Babbitt are gone ( which is most likely the case), this kid has the skills and character which makes him a likely candidate for the Spurs at #20.

Just hear out what his coach had to say in regards of the kids character (something the Spurs value to a high degree). This kid has Spur written all over him.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qXQDqqNbGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qXQDqqNbGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bruno
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
When a team make a promise, the last thing they want is that other teams know it.

In 2008, teams knew that Spurs wanted to draft Batum. Spurs try to create a smokescreen by sending a league wide mail saying that they wanted to trade their pick. It didn't work and Portland stole Batum by moving up just above Spurs' pick.

If Spurs have made some kind of promise to Williams, the dumbest thing to do will be to start the rumor that he got injured during a workout with Spurs. This rumor create a huge spotlight around Williams and Spurs, while Spurs best interest is to stay in the dark.

DesignatedT
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
i think it's pretty safe to say he will go to the Spurs or Memphis come draft time.

Thompson
06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Still, with all the Parker trade rumors I would believe that if Williams is drafted at 20 then TP is on his way out.

Even though neither Hill nor Williams is a true point guard? Do you think they'll do the Parker to NJ for Harris and the #3, or for some other point guard?

yavozerb
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Even though neither Hill nor Williams is a true point guard? Do you think they'll do the Parker to NJ for Harris and the #3, or for some other point guard?

I always liked tony parker but now I am not sold on having an all-star caliber pg if holes on the inside excist. If giving up TP had to happen to have 4 solid inside players I think I would do a trade. Look at this past season and see all the pg's that came into the league and were able to at least be average to above pg's in there 1st season ( Holiday, Jennings,Collison, Flynn,etc) and not to mention 2nd yr pgs. I used to think this position was very difficult to fill but these younger combo guards entering the league seems to be the in thing now and doing very well. I believe you can get by with a young pg and a veteran back-up and do very well with strong players at the 4/5 spots.

DesignatedT
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Both Harris and Parker were all-stars two seasons ago, but then last year they were on the downside. Parker with the injuries, Harris being on the Nets...

Still Tony is a financial question mark. He's going to be 29, he'll want a lot of money and might be on the downside (in terms of frailty and durability) already since his body has taken so much contact. Yet he is taking the summer off to prepare for a contract year in which he will more than likely play his ass off. I wouldn't mind seeing the best scoring point guard in a contract year on the Spurs. However, Harris is locked up, slightly younger than Parker and at a really good price. Throw in a potential All-Star in whoever the Spurs take with the third pick and that's quite a nice trade for the Spurs.

Id probably give up Tony, #20, Blair for Harris, #3, and Terrance Williams. I just don't see New jersey doing something like that.

Bruno
06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah that would make sense. A Spurs source told me about the Lakers off on George Hill after we drafted him, but a source from the Hornet's front office told me the Spurs were trying to sell the pick all day (Same source that told me that the Spurs indeed never made an offer of TP for CP3).

French TV made a great 1 hour long documentary following Batum and Ajinça during the whole draft process. It really shows what happens behind the scenes.

The story with Batum is the following:
Batum went to SA 2 days before the draft and Spurs made him a promise to pick him with their first round pick. They also asked Batum's agent not to send medical reports to other teams that showed Batum had no problem with his heart. On draft day, Blazers screwed Spurs to get Batum.

There are no doubts about what happens during the 2008 draft. Batum was plan A, Hill was plan B.

mountainballer
06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
things are getting even more confusing. (or this list just hasn't been updated)

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2010/6/8/1507703/atlanta-hawks-draft-workout

Atlanta Hawks Draft Workout Schedule

Monday, June 14 Terrico White, Elliott Williams, Dominique Jones, Manny Harris

Tuesday, June 15 Darington Hobson, Stanley Robinson, Pape Sy

Wednesday, June 16 Mikhail Torrance, Jordan Crawford, Chris Kramer, J.T. Tiller, Pape Sy, Greivis Vasquez

Thursday, June 17 Gani Lawal, Charles Garcia

Friday, June 18 Devin Ebanks, Quincy Pondexter, Elijah Millsap, Kevin Palmer, Landon Milbourne

Saturday, June 19 Trevor Booker, Lazar Hayward, Tasmin Mitchell

Sunday, June 20 Craig Brackins, Derrick Caracter, Patrick Sullivan, Jarvis Varnardo

Tuesday, June 22 Larry Sanders, Ryan Richards, Latavious Williams, Solomon Alabi, Samardo Samuels, Daniel Orton, Tory Jackson, Joe Dukes

mountainballer
06-11-2010, 06:17 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_-Williams-5153/
Williams does a number of things exceptionally well, and has the potential to be an efficient scorer if he improves some of his scoring tools.

Ranking right around average in terms of usage at 17.4 possessions per-game and slightly above average at 0.961 PPP overall, Williams’ best asset in comparison to his peers is his ability to use his quickness to get to the line. He was fouled on an impressive 14.2% of his overall shots, leading our sample of prospects by more than 3%.

Despite ranking right around average in terms of half court field goal percentage (42.2%), Williams scores on a higher percentage (45.4%) of his non-fast break possessions than any other player. Clearly, his first step plays a major role in his ability to create contact at the rim. His role for Memphis certainly helped as well.

Although he spent nearly twice as many of his possessions playing off the ball in spot up situations than Evan Turner (17.2% vs. 9.5%), Williams got some 43% of his offense operating one-on-one or working off a pick. A capable jump shooter when left open (42.9%), but limited when defended (27.3%), the Duke transfer has the resume of a guard capable of sliding over to handle the ball next to a shooting point guard or remaining off the ball and slashing to the rim.

several points pretty loud state "great fit" for the Spurs

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, there's been plenty to suggest he's got all the tools the Spurs would find appealing. I'd really like to know his true measurements, though.

mountainballer
06-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, there's been plenty to suggest he's got all the tools the Spurs would find appealing. I'd really like to know his true measurements, though.

can't tell you the exactly measurements, but I was pretty curious about this question as well and did some (visual ) research.....

http://images.alfa.lt/5373/21/80.jpg

Henderson was measured 2009. height without shoes: 6'4'', with shoes: 6'5''

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85566061.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548123DCCC862F7E264 13D322676AA93523B5CFEC99F604F674E30A760B0D811297

Henderson (left), Singler is listed 6-9, Thomas (opposite) 6-8 and the white shoulder on the right is from Scheyer (my guess), who was measured 6'4.75 without and 6'6'' in shoes.

bottom line: Williams should be pretty much the same size like Henderson, a legit 6'5'' in shoes.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85626702.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5481367DDBF5D3BCAAF 19A0543B8FFF14393BCA0732731BB59EE30A760B0D811297

about wingspan: I guess it's easy to see that he is one of those long arm players. (could post a dozen other pictures looking similar).
I would guess he has a 6'10'' wingspan, probably even more.

Blackjack
06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm guessing he's probably pretty comparable to Hairston in his height. I'd definitely like to see some more length on the perimeter but he seems to be a pretty nice prospect when you look how he could compliment Hill for years to come.

wildbill2u
06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
He's not in the draft combine measurements. I hope if we do take him he's taller/longer than currently thought.

Guess what? They never are taller, longer, bigger--that all comes from college PR offices.

Bruno
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=16469

Hoopsworld is reporting that Willaims' injury is serious and that's why he has turned down workouts.
It's a fully unreliable source that has made up tons of story in the past but maybe they aren't lying this time.

Thompson
06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
The mock draft on nbadraft.net now has us taking Williams with the 20th pick. http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

It seems kind of odd that Williams was projected as a low first rounder, fell out of the mocks after his 'injury,' came back in the mocks to 26, and now is projected to go 20th (all while not working out and not showing up for measurements).

TheProfessor
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
The mock draft on nbadraft.net now has us taking Williams with the 20th pick. http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

It seems kind of odd that Williams was projected as a low first rounder, fell out of the mocks after his 'injury,' came back in the mocks to 26, and now is projected to go 20th (all while not working out and not showing up for measurements).
Nbadraft.net's current mock is all over the place. Craig Brackins at 22? Darington Hobson at 53 after the positive workouts he's had? DX has had a down year in terms of draft coverage, but I put far less credence in nbadraft.net's mocks.

Chieflion
06-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Nbadraft.net's current mock is all over the place. Craig Brackins at 22? Darington Hobson at 53 after the positive workouts he's had? DX has had a down year in terms of draft coverage, but I put far less credence in nbadraft.net's mocks.

I am not surprised by Brackins. He is going to help somebody in the NBA. Last year, he was projected to be a mid 1st rounder, as far as I can remember. He had a bad year this year because teams double team and triple team him. Bit 22 is a reach as well.

TheProfessor
06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I am not surprised by Brackins. He is going to help somebody in the NBA. Last year, he was projected to be a mid 1st rounder, as far as I can remember. He had a bad year this year because teams double team and triple team him. Bit 22 is a reach as well.
Brackins is a solid second round pick, maybe late first if you're looking to fill that kind of role. I see last year as more of a regression to the mean rather than the exception, although the depth of this year's big men does also hurt his stock.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I really like this kid from what I've seen. I was hoping the Spurs might go after a 3, but Williams has a lot of talent. If Splitter comes over to help in the post, adding Williams to the perimeter attack may not be a bad deal.

tdunk21
06-18-2010, 01:27 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

latest mockdraft has the spurs drafting elli0t williams with the 20th and derrick caracter with 49th

benefactor
06-18-2010, 07:00 AM
He has dropped to 25 in DX's latest mock.
:wow

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
He has dropped to 25 in DX's latest mock.
:wow

He didn't drop. He rose, and it shall stay that way. Should probably be DX's final mock. LOL @ Vasquez at 28.

benefactor
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I guess I was thinking he was somewhere in the teens on the last mock. My bad.

ChuckD
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I guess I was thinking he was somewhere in the teens on the last mock. My bad.

There's a link on each DX page for the mock history of the player. Williams has been either 25 or 26 since early April.

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 08:59 PM
There's a link on each DX page for the mock history of the player. Williams has been either 25 or 26 since early April.

He is talking about Craig Brackins.

ChuckD
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
He is talking about Craig Brackins.

Actually, since his post is from today, and refers to the "latest" DX mock and player #25, he's talking about Elli0t Williams, who is in that spot. Thanks for continuing to try to hijack this thread into a Brackins one, though, in spite of the fact that he has his own thread.

Chieflion
06-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Actually, since his post is from today, and refers to the "latest" DX mock and player #25, he's talking about Elli0t Williams, who is in that spot. Thanks for continuing to try to hijack this thread into a Brackins one, though, in spite of the fact that he has his own thread.

Ok fine, I am sorry, moderator. Thanks for correcting me. I will never offend you again.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I saw that. It was just a brain fart. For some reason I had it in my mind that he was going before we picked.

ChuckD
06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok fine, I am sorry, moderator. Thanks for correcting me. I will never offend you again.

You're forgiven.

Bruno
06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
The latest on Williams injury per DX twitter was that the injury was legit and Williams has had his first workout since the injury yesterday for Houston.

It's hard to know if an info is legit or if it's some kind of smokescreen but the theory that Williams had a promise from Spurs and faked an injury doesn't look solid.

duncan228
06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
The Mystery of Elli0t Williams (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16927/the-mystery-of-Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_-williams)
By Chad Ford

When Memphis point guard Elli0t Williams didn't show up at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, the rumors began swirling.

Has a team already promised to draft him? Or is there another issue? According to one rumor in circulation, a knee injury Williams suffered in a Spurs workout just before the combine might be more serious than first believed.

I spoke with Williams' agent Thad Foucher today in an attempt to get to the bottom of this. With so little information out there, most of the teams are working on rumor and innuendo at the moment.

Foucher said both the prevailing rumors were untrue, saying there is no promise and no serious injury.

Foucher described the Williams injury in San Antonio as a knee-to-knee collision and said that it wouldn't require surgery. According to Foucher, Williams has been rehabbing in Los Angeles for the past few weeks and recently began working out again. Foucher said he didn't know exactly when Williams would be totally healthy, but he expects that he'll be ready by the Summer League in mid-July.

According to Foucher, Williams has worked out recently for Portland, Boston and Houston. Foucher said that Williams just completed a physical and that he was sending the results to all 30 teams in the league prior to the draft.

While all of this could certainly be "agent spin" by Foucher, these are the clearest statements we've received on Williams so far.

The Truth #6
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
"Recently worked out by Portland"...

TimmehC
06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Fuck you, Pritchard.

Boss
06-22-2010, 06:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-draftbuzzb062210

Blazers targeting Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams, typical Pritchard

Boss
06-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Dont know why that Luck the Fakers bull shit is posting

ace3g
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
it is because a lot of people on this forum would misspell Elliott for Sean Elliott

ace3g
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
WojYahooNBA

Y! Draft Buzz: Blazers targeting Memphis guard Elli0t Williams: http://tinyurl.com/3558c3g

benefactor
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
lol Pritchard. He's still have to trade up to get him ahead of us.

yavozerb
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Pritchard is such a little weasal. I really hope he gets fired soon.

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
So I'm convinced that Pop and RC tag teamed his wife ...

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
mother

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
daughter ..

Blackjack
dog ...

Blackjack
and possibly goldfish.

Get over it, Pritchard. They were asking for it. :D

TD 21
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
If Pritchard found out that the Spurs were interested in drafting Garcia at 20, he'd want him too. The guy is a joke. Williams makes absolutely no sense for the Trail Blazers.

ChuckD
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Did anyone else catch Pritch today swapping picks + cash with GS in the second to jump ahead of us there?

bigdog
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
That would be hilarious if the Spurs did something like this so they could snag someone that Portland was interested in.

Spurs Brazil
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Blazers Target Elli0t Williams, Working On Securing Extra 1st Rounder
The Blazers have targeted Elli0t Williams and are hoping to get an additional pick late in the first round in order to draft him, according to sources.

Portland isn't optimistic Williams will still be available at No. 34.

The Blazers are willing to trade $3 million in cash and the 34th overall pick to Memphis in exchange for one of the Grizzlies' two first round picks in the 20s.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67366/20100622/blazers_target_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luc k_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_ The_Fakers__williams_working_on_securing_extra_1st _rounder/#ixzz0rdC8BKdo

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2010, 07:26 PM
i think those ex spurs fo are targeting the same guys we are, when are they actually going to do some work instead of relyin on our office scouts report

DesignatedT
06-22-2010, 07:26 PM
hmm damn. I liked this kid if he would be there at 20.

TD 21
06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
The Blazers have targeted Elli0t Williams and are hoping to get an additional pick late in the first round in order to draft him, according to sources.

The Blazers are willing to trade $3 million in cash and the 34th overall pick to Memphis in exchange for one of the Grizzlies' two first round picks in the 20s.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67366/20100622/blazers_target_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luc k_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_ The_Fakers__williams_working_on_securing_extra_1st _rounder/#ixzz0rdC8BKdo

If the Spurs want Williams and the Trail Blazers pull off this trade, they still wouldn't get him. Their only hope is if they can acquire 16 from the Bulls or 18 from the Heat, both of which are rumored to be available. Supposedly the Bobcats, Mavs, Nuggets and Knicks all want to acquire a draft pick.

noob cake
06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't worry Spurs fans, Pri[t]ck's favorite hobby is cock-blocking Morey. He'll take our prospects way before yours.

TD 21
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I glossed over it initially, but it's interesting that Wojnarowski makes it sound as though if the Blazers are successful in securing another pick in the 20s, that they'll be able to get Williams. He makes no mention of them looking to or needing to jump ahead of the Spurs to get him.

Thompson
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Don't worry Spurs fans, Pri[t]ck's favorite hobby is cock-blocking Morey. He'll take our prospects way before yours.

If that's the case, why did that #*%$! Morey draft Batum 1 pick ahead of us for Pritchard. If you don't like him screwing you over, don't help him screw someone else over. Blackball the S.O.B.

ChuckD
06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
They traded the 44th pick, spurs have the 49th

Ah, my bad. When I saw (Pr)B(itch) involved, somehow our #49 turned into #39, and he had line jumped us again!

Thanks for the heads up.

SenorSpur
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM

This sounds and smells more like the next iteration of the Great Batum Robbery of 2008. Bitchard and those Portland FO pricks are the pettiest bunc in the NBA. Lord only knows what they have against the Spurs, but it wouldn't surprise me at all for them to move up and snag someone the Spurs are interested in.

I can only hope that the Spurs are baiting everyone by simply feigning interest in Williams. He's an average sized SG - something they don't really need. The Spurs desparately need to address the SF and PF positions.

The Truth #6
06-23-2010, 12:33 AM
I could see us trading Hill to move up to get a SF and drafting Williams at 20. Well, theoretically.

timvp
06-23-2010, 03:07 AM
I like that Single T gets to the line and he's a pretty good all-around scorer. What I don't like is his height. Yet another smallish guard doesn't thrill me. He'd pretty much duplicate what Hill brings.

Williams would make a lot more sense if TP or Hill is traded ... but then it'd be a lot of pressure for a rookie to fall into such a big role. Overall, I think he's a good talent pull at 20 but I question the fit.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 04:01 AM
can't tell you the exactly measurements, but I was pretty curious about this question as well and did some (visual ) research.....

http://images.alfa.lt/5373/21/80.jpg

Henderson was measured 2009. height without shoes: 6'4'', with shoes: 6'5''

@timvp
tried to get an idea about his actual size and posted this two pages before.

Williams doesn't have good size if you are looking at a pure SG or a wing, but he does have VERY GOOD size if they think he can play a combo role. what makes him intriguing is his athleticism. the guy can leap like any other in the draft. (I'm pretty sure, if he did the combine, he would have been the #1 or among the top 3 in this department). and he is pretty quick, can defend the small and quick PGs. (like he did especially in his 1st year with Duke, when K used him a lot in a Bowen like perimeter stopper role)

bottom line: yes, he duplicates much of what Hill brings, but there could be a plan, that this two form the back court of the future.
I posted in the general draft thread a link to a new article on DX about another statistical evaluation of the SGs in this draft, because there are some interesting points about Williams unique game and I wrote that I see only one player with a similar combination of statistical numbers and that player is Manu.

aside all discussion what position Spurs should draft, there is a new statistical analysis about the shooting guards of this years draft on DX and this shows some very intriguing results concerning Williams.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-The-2010-Shooting-Guard-Crop-3517/

he is a very unique player when looking especially at
- Three Point Attempts Per Field Goal Attempt -
and
- Free Throw Attempts Per Possession -

he ranks 4th in the first category, only behind pure shooters (Rautins, Scheyer, Eldridge) and 1st in the latter.

and this is really amazing. the numbers would make him the most versatile SG on offense of all players in this draft as he shoots a lot of 3s (and hits them at a decent rate), but still drives a lot, finishes well in a pretty creative style and also get to the line at will.
his true shooting percentage is very good (61%, 4th overall and again only behind pure shooters) and his efficiency as well. (1.57 PPS)

all this numbers are pretty unique and remind perfectly about another unique player and the name is Manu Ginobili.

add to this the fact that Williams also is a good and willing defender and left handed and we could understand why the Spurs might have fallen in love with him.

timvp
06-23-2010, 04:12 AM
@timvp
tried to get an idea about his actual size and posted this two pages before.

You can't use action pics to estimate height. The angles will play tricks on you. For example, this pick makes Henderson look significantly taller than Williams:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/wp-content/photos/ncaa0006.jpg

As far as Williams' game, yeah it's pretty intriguing. In a perfect world, I'd want a 6-foot-7ish wing who can defend twos and threes. Another combo guard isn't as exciting.

But again, picking at 20 means you can't be choosers. You just pick the guy who has a chance to make it.

lurker23
06-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Speaking of combo guards, we can't forget about Nando de Colo either. I know he won't be on the roster next year, but if we're looking at the Spurs 3 years from now, it's likely that both George Hill and de Colo will be on the roster; how many guys with that size and somewhat similar skill set can you really fit on one team?

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Speaking of combo guards, we can't forget about Nando de Colo either. I know he won't be on the roster next year, but if we're looking at the Spurs 3 years from now, it's likely that both George Hill and de Colo will be on the roster; how many guys with that size and somewhat similar skill set can you really fit on one team?

If we are looking at the Spurs 3 years from now, assuming Tim Duncan retires after his contract, the Spurs would be stockpiling talent to rebuild quicker. It doesn't matter what position they play at that point as long as the players are good players who are good trading pieces.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 04:23 AM
You can't use action pics to estimate height. The angles will play tricks on you. For example, this pick makes Henderson look significantly taller than Williams:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/wp-content/photos/ncaa0006.jpg

I know this and that's why I tried to find a picture with a more neutral angle, like the one I used. (eye point height, distance etc.)
however, it of course doesn't prove anything. I know the picture you posted and yes, there he looks smaller than Henderson. but as you said, the angle tricks you. when a picture is taken from close and almost from the floor, a few inches in the object position totally changes the impression.

06-23-2010, 04:23 AM
can't really see how another combo guard will fit in the spurs' team without trading either hill or parker.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 04:33 AM

as long as you can't know how this guys will finally do in the NBA (this goes for either DeColo and Williams) you can also stockpile prospects with a similar profile.
the point is: look at todays game! with the hand check rule and other stuff the quick combo forward, who can either drive, shoot or pass has become the crucial factor in the game. you want more than one player with that profile on your roster, especially when you think about play two of that kind together.
and DeCole is a bit different. Hill and Williams would be in a different world athletically, DeColo will never be able to play the driving guard. but he might be the even better shooter and he does have that "special" creativity as a passer that neither Hill and Williams offer. so yes, I can see a roster with Hill and Williams building the starting back court (if Tony leaves 2011, which is a possibility we can't ignore) and DeColo coming from the bench in more of a a specialist role.

lurker23
06-23-2010, 04:43 AM
I guess this is the bottom-line for me:

Main reasons I could see the Spurs picking Williams: He has some useful skill sets, would give the team some flexibility, youth, and depth at the guard position, and is probably one of the more talented players that is likely to be around at #20.

Main reason I don't think the Spurs will pick Williams: We have six full pages talking about the possibility that they'll pick him.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Main reason I don't think the Spurs will pick Williams: We have six full pages talking about the possibility that they'll pick him.
good point.
on the other hand: didn't we also have about that much discussion about the Spurs picking Batum and then it became general knowledge on this board that they actually would have picked him, if he hadn't been stolen via a Rockets/Blazers conspiracy?
so, IF Williams is picked before 20, he would immediately become the prime target, no matter if he in fact was.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
What's up with having to use the number "0" in his first name as opposed to the letter "o"?

benefactor
06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

jiggy_55
06-23-2010, 09:36 AM
What's up with having to use the number "0" in his first name as opposed to the letter "o"?

Was thinking the exact same!

TheSpurglar
06-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Probably just a mistake the original poster made that everybody jumped on.

Stump
06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Try typing his name and see.

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Try typing his name and see.

Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams

So it's not just me. :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
06-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams.

wow...that's pretty cool

Bruno
06-23-2010, 11:55 AM

A lot of people made the mistake of writing Sean Elliott with only one t. A script has been put in place to change the misspelled Elliott into Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_.

The Elli0t spelling is to not trigger the script. I guess that if Spurs draft him, there is good chance that the script will be removed. :lol

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
If the Spurs want Williams and the Trail Blazers pull off this trade, they still wouldn't get him. Their only hope is if they can acquire 16 from the Bulls or 18 from the Heat, both of which are rumored to be available. Supposedly the Bobcats, Mavs, Nuggets and Knicks all want to acquire a draft pick.

I had heard that Miami was willing to straight sell the #18 for $3M. You'd think Portland would be all over that given how many 2nd round picks they've bought over the years.

ffadicted
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The Elli0t spelling is to not trigger the script. I guess that if Spurs draft him, there is good chance that the script will be removed. :lol

No, let's leave it lol

jiggy_55
06-24-2010, 04:46 AM
From foxsports:

STRANGEST MOVE: Memphis’ Elli0t Williams, who worked out for just a single NBA team. Williams reportedly has an injury, but this one has been awfully secretive and could backfire on the athletic wing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/nba-draft-best-worst-riskiest-picks-062310

mountainballer
06-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I had heard that Miami was willing to straight sell the #18 for $3M. You'd think Portland would be all over that given how many 2nd round picks they've bought over the years.

right.
but it could also mean that the Blazers already have an agreement for a move up trade. (very good chance that they already bought the #16 pick from the Wolves)