View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Devin Ebanks

Bruno
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.wvillustrated.com/public/images/Devin%20Ebanks%282%29.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 205 lbs
Birthday: 10/28/1989
College: West Virginia

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Devin-Ebanks-1112/)

BronxCowboy
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Probably will be gone before the Spurs get to pick, but he's long, athletic, and plays hard on defense. Wonder if there's any chance of the Spurs trading up to get a shot at guys like these?

mountainballer
04-13-2010, 04:21 AM
more mocks currently see him available at #20 than picked before.
his potential is undeniable, but I still think there are several reasons why he wouldn't be the perfect fit for the Spurs.
he struggles with the slow pace West Virginia plays and also in half court sets, so likely he would also struggle with the Spurs style. he is either a bad ball handler and a bad shooter, this won't help him either with the Spurs. he is raw and won't be able to contribute for a season or two, while Spurs are in win now modus. (and he has some character red flags)

there are some players with similar size and athleticism, who just look like better fits. and if the Spurs go with a raw project, Paul George seems the better idea.

Chieflion
04-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Ebanks may have some "character" issues, academically wise, and there were rumors he got into a fight with his teammate, resulting in an injury to his hand. He is also older than the sophomores in his class as he had to re-take his junior year in high school after he got expelled.

Basketball-wise, he got exposed this year and did not improve as a sophomore. And he does not have 3-point shooting range, unlike Paul George and to a certain extent, Quincy Pondexter.

I am not saying he is not a good prospect but these character issues have affected his stock in the upcoming NBA draft due to off-court problems and basketball development. This combination of problems may very well stop an organisation like the Spurs to pick Ebanks in the 2010 NBA draft.

Bruno
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/06/another-set-of-workouts-comple.html

Washington is the fifth stop for Ebanks as he tries to get noticed by NBA coaches. Before coming to the nation's capital, he worked out for Minnosota, San Antonio, Toronto and Detroit. Next up for Ebanks is Chicago.

Mr. Body
06-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Looks like he's 50/50 to be a second rounder at this point, almost.

BronxCowboy
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
did not messure or test anything like expected

You'll notice I posted that well before the combine. If he had measured/tested well, he wouldn't have been the first guy ever taken in the mid-first round that couldn't shoot. But in retrospect, I agree with you that he's most likely a second rounder.

yavozerb
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
This guy might be the biggest loser of the combine. He was not as athletic or as long as I expected. He was expected to be a top 25 pick, but now he might be a early to mid second rounder.

I am just wondering how at 6'8 with 7ft reach is not as long as you thought? He may not be as athletic as some thought, his offense has always been been below average, his defense and rebounding is well above average, and lets not forgot he is only 20 years old. I just have a gut feeling this kid may come out of nowhere to get that spurs pick, whether at #20 or especially if the spurs trade down..

ChuckD
06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
You'll notice I posted that well before the combine. If he had measured/tested well, he wouldn't have been the first guy ever taken in the mid-first round that couldn't shoot. But in retrospect, I agree with you that he's most likely a second rounder.

DX has him there in their latest.

I think he's a poor fit in SA. He seems much more like an open court player, and really shoots AWFUL from downtown: 10% last year and 12.5% the year before.

yavozerb
06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
3pt shooting can be deveolped and this kid has good form on his jump shot already. Just take a look at the college 3 pt %from this player and try and not laugh at the pic:

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3219&Itemid=125

ChuckD
06-15-2010, 07:46 AM
3pt shooting can be deveolped and this kid has good form on his jump shot already. Just take a look at the college 3 pt %from this player and try and not laugh at the pic:

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3219&Itemid=125

How can you have good form and shoot 10% and 12% for a season? Something has to be fundamentally broken to shoot that poorly. That doesn't even bring into the picture pace incompatability, that he's more suited to a running team, or his strongly rumored attitude issues. When there's that much shit floating in the bowl, you just move on.

Bowen, at least, shot 28% in college, and was a 35% 3 point shooter in the NBA before we even acquired him. Love the pic, though. :lol

yavozerb
06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
How can you have good form and shoot 10% and 12% for a season? Something has to be fundamentally broken to shoot that poorly. That doesn't even bring into the picture pace incompatability, that he's more suited to a running team, or his strongly rumored attitude issues. When there's that much shit floating in the bowl, you just move on.

Bowen, at least, shot 28% in college, and was a 35% 3 point shooter in the NBA before we even acquired him. Love the pic, though. :lol

I will not even try to justify 10% shooting (cause that is pretty awful) but he took less that 1 3pt shot per game so I feel confidence was his primary problem at that range. But we must also point out he did shoot 50% from 2pt range which is only 2% less than a quality shooter like babbitt. With all this said I would without a doubt want george,babbitt, hayward, or even james ahead of this kid, but if the spurs feel like they can improve his shooting I can see them taking a chance on him.

mountainballer
06-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Bowen, at least, shot 28% in college, and was a 35% 3 point shooter in the NBA before we even acquired him.

Bowen shot only 1.5 3s per game in college. combine this with a the mentioned 28% and you get a player, who never ever would qualify. the point was IMO, is a college player with such shooting number a hopeless case and the answer is: not always.