PDA

View Full Version : Donaghy: League didn't want small market team like Spurs in Finals every year

Galileo
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Donaghy: League didn't want small market team like Spurs in Finals every year

FULL QUOTE:

"The Spurs were a good team. Yes, they did earn them [4 rings], the league certainly didn't want a small market team like the Spurs in the NBA Finals every year."

Tim Donaghy

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=13078&post=88665&uid=190036783555#!post88665

Thank you, Tim. You tell it like it is.

:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

:flag:

Spurminator
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM
If you read the comment in context it's not all that meaningful.

DesignatedT
03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
of course the league doesnt want small market teams in the finals every year... different question if they actually sought out the prevent it.

Goran Dragic
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
What's funny is how any prick can make a Tim Donaghy facebook page yet you act like it couldn't possibly be anyone other than him.

baseline bum
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow. No shit the league didn't want the Spurs in the Finals. So conditioning on them making it to 4 of them, what does that tell you about the league's alleged manipulation of playoff games against them?

Galileo
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
What's funny is how any prick can make a Tim Donaghy facebook page yet you act like it couldn't possibly be anyone other than him.

The Huffington Post linked to his facebook page when they printed his article yesterday. You should get your facts before speaking.

:wow

Goran Dragic
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
The Huffington Post linked to his facebook page when they printed his article yesterday. You should get your facts before speaking.

:lmao the Huffington post.

Galileo
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM

You have conceded my point.

:king

Goran Dragic
03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
You have conceded my point.

I'm pretty sure if this bullshit was worth covering a news source more relevant than one of the most extreme liberal blogs would be covering it.

Rick18
03-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Of course they wouldn't want a small market team in the Finals every year.

It's not like they've actively gone out and stopped it from happening though.

spurtech09
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
yep I knew the nba was rigged.....

Galileo
03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure if this bullshit was worth covering a news source more relevant than one of the most extreme liberal blogs would be covering it.

I just cited it as evidence that this was really Donaghy's facebook page. Did you forget about that, or can you only remember back two posts on a thread?

Donaghy's book is already for sale, you don't need to read the Huffington Post if you don't want to.

David Stern is a democrat anyway.

:bang

dbestpro
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM

You probably said the same thing about Canseco and I bet you still believe Palmero should be in the hall of fame.

Galileo
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
You probably said the same thing about Canseco and I bet you still believe Palmero should be in the hall of fame.

Good point.

And remember, Jordan wasn't involved in gambling in 1993.

FromWayDowntown
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM

A piece written by Tim Donaghy, which he posted at Huffington Post, linked to his Facebook page.

Fabbs
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
:rollin nicely done.
Way to blow up Multitrolls crap.

Das Texan
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
In other news the sky is blue and the grass is green.

newacc
03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Man that's pretty awesome that he's already picked himself up - and through the help of social media.

spursfan09
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Which proves the greatness of TD. And also its the NBA that needs to learn to market thier product. I'm not saying Spurs could have been America's team, but they market the individual egotistical players intead of a team concept.

lennyalderette
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
of course the league doesnt want small market teams in the finals every year... Different question if they actually sought out the prevent it.

umm they did just that how do you not remember those calls

mavs>spurs2
03-04-2010, 12:16 AM
My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

Sean Cagney
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM

Suns players were dumb enough to walk onto the floor!!!!! Thats their own damn dumb fault, even then it was what 2-2? Some act like they were a given to beat us that year lol, I see it differently. Game 6 we manned them with all their stars out there, had a big lead and all! Next.

Old School 44
03-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Not that I believe all the conspiracy theorists, but Stern was dumb to say this. :stirpot:

Earlier this decade, during the height of the Shaq-Kobe era in L.A., commissioner David Stern was asked what his ideal Finals matchup would be. "The Lakers versus the Lakers," he said. Stern took a lot of heat for that comment -- conspiracists have long insisted that the league smiles favorably upon the Purple and Gold -- and now tiptoes around the subject like a ballet dancer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jack_mccallum/04/15/perfect.ending0421/

Sean Cagney
03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Dallas fan, don't even get on us about the refs, Tim fouls out from Dirk stepping on his foot, a Finley tech gets called back later which has POP saying well does that mean we win by a point? That game went to OT and we lost later they said the tech was taken away! We win that game by a point and in 6 then! Don't even go there.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 12:52 AM

You got that right. You'd think someone who has been in the United States of America for 3 or 4 decades could speak English so everyone could understand what she is saying. She should get one of them computer voice programs like Stephen Hawking uses.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Anyone who watched games 3 and 4 of the Spurs and Mavs series in 2006 can understand this.

Sean Cagney
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
If anyone watched games 3 and 4 of the Spurs and Mavs series in 2006 can understand this...........

TD 21
03-04-2010, 02:01 AM
If anyone watched games 3 and 4 of the Spurs and Mavs series in 2006 can understand this.

You mean the one where Nowitzki finished with 3 made field goals and with 24 free throws? This is maybe the most under the radar shady officiated game in recent memory. You got a jump shooter, who loves to shoot fade and fall away jumpers, getting to the line at a ridiculous pace? It made no sense. Sure, players like James and Wade get questionable calls, but at least they get them going to the basket. You know, the way players generally draw calls. What happened with Nowitzki defied logic.

It was as if the league had decided (probably much to their chagrin, particularly around that time when there was a perception that the league had an "image issue" and they were extremely conscious of it, so you know deep down the league probably loved everything about the Spurs: humble, hard working, team oriented, non threatening looking, international, small market, financially fiscal, etc.) that because the ratings were such a disaster in '03 and '05 that they just couldn't have the Spurs in the finals anymore, so unless they were head and shoulders above everyone else, they were not going to give them much leeway.

You look back on that series, the teams were close enough that poor officiating easily could have swung it and sure enough it did (at least partially). Of course, in the end the Spurs still should have won it. Unfortunately, the loss was self inflicted.

People are fools, though. Think about it, what is Donaghy really telling us that we didn't already know? He's conjuring up perceptions that many already have about the league, so if it comes from someone who used to be on the inside the conspiracy theorists will automatically see it as confirmation. If he had brought up a particular game or series that wasn't suspicious at the time, then maybe I'd take the majority of what he's saying more seriously.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2010, 02:03 AM

Fixed I've had a long night ..I'm just leaving the library....caught my error sorry.

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2010, 02:09 AM
I really wish someone had copies of those games. I'd be willing to buy them.

Blackjack
03-04-2010, 02:19 AM
The Big 3 attempted 52 FG's and shot 23 FT's, while Dirk went 3-9 from the field and 21-24 from the line ... disgusting . . .

Game 3 was, how you say ... abortion?

Boxscore (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200605130DAL.html)

Baseline
03-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Not that I believe all the conspiracy theorists, but Stern was dumb to say this. :stirpot:

Earlier this decade, during the height of the Shaq-Kobe era in L.A., commissioner David Stern was asked what his ideal Finals matchup would be. "The Lakers versus the Lakers," he said. Stern took a lot of heat for that comment -- conspiracists have long insisted that the league smiles favorably upon the Purple and Gold -- and now tiptoes around the subject like a ballet dancer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jack_mccallum/04/15/perfect.ending0421/

Exactly.

Racketeer roll call, count off now....

"David Stern, present."

UnWantedTheory
03-04-2010, 03:03 AM

Idiocy.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
It's funny all you stupid fucks believe everything Donaghy says EXCEPT for this little gem:

My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

TJastal
03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
It's funny all you stupid fucks believe everything Donaghy says EXCEPT for this little gem:

why's that so hard to believe, Sarver is an cheap bastard

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
why's that so hard to believe, Sarver is an cheap bastard

I think everything Donaghy says is a fabricated crock of shit (including the 2007 blurb I posted), my point is that if Spurfan is gonna take everything he says at face value then they can't ignore that.

Can't you people see Donaghy is simply saying what people want to hear in order to make money?

MaNu4Tres
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I think everything Donaghy says is a fabricated crock of shit (including the 2007 blurb I posted), my point is that if Spurfan is gonna take everything he says at face value then they can't ignore that.

Can't you people see Donaghy is simply saying what people want to hear in order to make money?

Suns fans seem to forget that the 2nd best game they played that whole series was the game without Amare game 5. Games 1 and 3 were won from the get go by the Spurs.

Game 4 was dominated by the Spurs, but Suns pulled out the win.

Game 5 ( the game without Amare) was the Suns 2nd best performance of the entire series out of 6 games. Suns dominated this game but like game 4 the other team prevailed in the end.

Game 6 was a dominated by the Spurs and the best team did win.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Suns fans seem to forget that the 2nd best game they played that whole series was the game without Amare game 5. Games 1 and 3 were won from the get go by the Spurs.

Game 4 was dominated by the Spurs, but Suns pulled out the win.

Game 5 ( the game without Amare) was the Suns 2nd best performance of the entire series out of 6 games. Suns dominated this game but like game 4 the other team prevailed in the end.

Game 6 was a dominated by the Spurs and the best team did win.

Did I not just say that I think Donaghy's story about 2007 was a crock of shit? Don't try to turn this into a 2007 argument because you have no support for the retarded claim that David Stern conspires against the Spurs. The Suns' 2nd best performance in the series was the 2nd game they won, not a game they lost. Obviously one team isn't dominating if the other team wins. The fact the Suns kept game 5 close without Amare and Diaw means they probably would have won if they played, but that's irrelevant, they broke a rule so they didn't play. I'm not the one cooking up conspiracy theories about why the team I cheer for lost.

The Spurfan conspiracy theory logic is some of the most illogical bullshit I've ever seen. How is it that everything Donaghy says is 100% true, EXCEPT for his claim that a series was rigged for the Spurs? Why would he make up the story about Nunez but otherwise not lie at all? If Donaghy is lying about the Spurs Suns 2007 series, how is Spurfan so sure he isn't lying about anything else?

If David Stern is conspiring to ensure the Spurs lose, how is it they have 4 championships in the last 11 years? Are they just THAT good that they were able to overcome the league rigging things against them 4 different times? I'm pretty sure if David Stern hated the Spurs so much and wanted them to lose he would have been able to prevent them winning 4 championships.

PublicOption
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
validates everything I always thought.

thats why the spurs could not win back-to-back.......other forces kept them out.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
validates everything I always thought.

thats why the spurs could not win back-to-back.......other forces kept them out.

Right, forces kept them from winning back to backs but had no problem letting them win every odd year. It was referees who hypnotized Manu Ginobili into fouling Dirk. It was referees who used their telepathic powers to guide Derek Fisher's .4 shot into the hoop.

PublicOption
03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
its not the .4 its what made it .4(all the foul calls before) same with manu and mavs.

you are just blind. the spurs were dominate teams both times, but the refs did not allow the spurs to win games they should have easily won and put them in spot they could not overcome. then with .4 when the lakers win(by a miracle) the league was all to ready to finish them off in LA the next game. c'mon.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
The refs used their telepathic powers to not call the obvious hack on Tim Duncan at the end of Game 7.

Cane
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
People are fools, though. Think about it, what is Donaghy really telling us that we didn't already know? He's conjuring up perceptions that many already have about the league, so if it comes from someone who used to be on the inside the conspiracy theorists will automatically see it as confirmation. If he had brought up a particular game or series that wasn't suspicious at the time, then maybe I'd take the majority of what he's saying more seriously.

Yup, Donaghy is just saying stuff thats true no matter who says it: The NBA doesn't want small market teams in the Finals because of ratings and $$$.

Whats the most interesting about Donaghy's facebook is that even a widely disrespected and corrupt ref still gives props to the Spurs and Duncan.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM

This. Donaghy is just saying what conspiracy theorists want to hear so his book will sell. By fabricating a story about the 2007 Spurs Suns series Donaghy knows Suns fans who think Stern conspired against the Suns will run out and buy the book so they can read a former ref corroborate their conspiracy. So when he says, "The NBA hates the Spurs because they're a small market team" he knows Spurs fans who cry conspiracy everytime they lose to the Lakers will go spend money on his book.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
its not the .4 its what made it .4(all the foul calls before) same with manu and mavs.

That makes perfect sense. The league wanted the Lakers to win so badly that they made the game depend on Derek Fisher making a shot with .4 seconds left. The Spurs are just THAT good that they were able to keep the series competitive when the refs were working against them.

The Pistons must have been one of the best teams of all time since obviously Stern had the refs working against them in the finals that year since LA is a bigger market, yet they STILL won.

Fabbs
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
The Pistons must have been one of the best teams of all time since obviously Stern had the refs working against them in the finals that year since LA is a bigger market, yet they STILL won.
That combined with how selfish a ballhog Kome was.

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Did I not just say that I think Donaghy's story about 2007 was a crock of shit? Don't try to turn this into a 2007 argument because you have no support for the retarded claim that David Stern conspires against the Spurs. The Suns' 2nd best performance in the series was the 2nd game they won, not a game they lost. Obviously one team isn't dominating if the other team wins. The fact the Suns kept game 5 close without Amare and Diaw means they probably would have won if they played, but that's irrelevant, they broke a rule so they didn't play. I'm not the one cooking up conspiracy theories about why the team I cheer for lost.

The Spurfan conspiracy theory logic is some of the most illogical bullshit I've ever seen. How is it that everything Donaghy says is 100% true, EXCEPT for his claim that a series was rigged for the Spurs? Why would he make up the story about Nunez but otherwise not lie at all? If Donaghy is lying about the Spurs Suns 2007 series, how is Spurfan so sure he isn't lying about anything else?

If David Stern is conspiring to ensure the Spurs lose, how is it they have 4 championships in the last 11 years? Are they just THAT good that they were able to overcome the league rigging things against them 4 different times? I'm pretty sure if David Stern hated the Spurs so much and wanted them to lose he would have been able to prevent them winning 4 championships.

Well said.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
The fact the Suns kept game 5 close without Amare and Diaw means they probably would have won if they played,

:lol Just like those 2 losses earlier in the series, right?

All I see if you calling people illogical because they call shit how they see it. We were RIGHT there, contending and considered by many the FAVORITES, so it's not any kind of stretch, none whatsoever, that we could have won 2006, minimum, if the refereeing is more "consistent" according to our personal analysis of the calls.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
:lol Just like those 2 games earlier in the series, right?

:lmao that's the only thing you felt the need to respond to? Nice try trying to change the subject away from something that makes a lot of Spurs fans look like retarded fucksticks.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 12:44 PM
retarded fucksticks.

That accurately describes your Sun players who got off the bench.

Nothing like calling out spurfan for sour grapes then crying about your own then denying it the very same post.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you berating spurfan in this thread has a lot more to do with 2007 than you'll ever let on.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Fact remains, regardless of how illogical our position may seem, that 2006 has some clear, essentially unarguable examples of questionable refereeing. How can one call Manu's touch foul on Dirk's wide open dunk and then not call Tim's arm being held the very next play and last play of regulation?

Indazone
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Not rigged? Yes ask Tim Duncan about Joey Crawford.

newacc
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone who watched games 3 and 4 of the Spurs and Mavs series in 2006 can understand this.

Those games were incredible to watch. If you want proof the NBA swings games, watch these games. Speaking of, are there any copies of these games around? The Spurs played incredible but couldn't beat the blatant calls for Dallas.

In Game 3, free throws were 50-32 Dallas. In game 4, free throws were even and foul calls only had the Spurs with three more, but if I remember correctly there were some really bad calls in favor of Mavs that kept the Spurs out.

Anybody know where there's a copy of these games?

SpurNation
03-04-2010, 02:05 PM
It's been like this for a long time and the Spurs aren't the first to suffer (and/or prosper) from questionable officiating.

But...I'll live with 4 championships as compared to other teams who haven't even managed to garnish one.

And no...it wouldn't suprise me in the least if actual facts surface themselves proving games (teams) may have been given an advantage due to calls being made one way or the other.

That's the other "human" side of the story we may never know but highly speculate because...well...it's right in front of your face.

Galileo
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM

This does not allege an NBA conspiracy led by David Stern. It doesn't really allege anything except Donaghy's opinion.

You have got to be the stupidest conspiracy nut I've ever seen. You think there was a giant conspiracy to help the Spurs, but not to help the Lakers and other big market teams.

:downspin:

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
This does not alleged an NBA conspiracy led by David Stern. It doesn't really allege anything except Donaghy's opinion.

You have got to be the stupidest conspiracy nut I've ever seen. You think there was a giant conspiracy to help the Spurs, but not to help the Lakers and other big market teams.

You have to be the stupidest fuck I've ever seen if you think I'm a conspiracy nut or if you somehow formulated the belief that I think conspiracies helped the Spurs. I simply don't think there are any conspiracies. For or against the Spurs or any other team for that matter. Plain and simple. Does that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you berating spurfan in this thread has a lot more to do with 2007 than you'll ever let on.

Not really. I berate Suns fans just as much who still harp on 2007 and whine about it.

Galileo
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
You have to be the stupidest fuck I've ever seen if you think I'm a conspiracy nut or if you somehow formulated the belief that I think conspiracies helped the Spurs. I simply don't think there are any conspiracies. For or against the Spurs or any other team for that matter. Plain and simple. Does that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

You keep claiming there is a conspiracy against the Suns, please make up your mind.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
You keep claiming there is a conspiracy against the Suns, please make up your mind.

No, I don't keep claiming conspiracies against the Suns. Learn to fuckin read. The quote I keep posting could have just as easily been Spurs vs. Grizzlies, my point is that you seem to think Donaghy is this extremely credible source and take everything he says as fact EXCEPT for what he says about the Spurs vs. Suns series. Either all of what Donaghy says is true, or none of it is. I think it's all bullshitHe wouldn't tell the complete truth about everything and then make something up about the 2007 series. You can't cherry pick what he says and declare what is true and what isn't.

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
The Donaghy incident suggests not a conspiracy but that Stern doens't actually have as much control over his refs as we thought. There's plenty of bad officiating but it's more likely because of bad officials.

Blackjack
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
The Donaghy incident suggests not a conspiracy but that Stern doens't actually have as much control over his refs as we thought. There's plenty of bad officiating but it's more likely because of bad officials.

Yup.:tu

Bad or corrupted officiating doesn't mean there's a conspiracy leading all the way to the top. Sometimes incompetence or a few dirtbags is all it takes.

Goran Dragic
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Fact remains, regardless of how illogical our position may seem, that 2006 has some clear, essentially unarguable examples of questionable refereeing.

The other 29 fan bases in the NBA disagree.

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM

I do think the 2006 playoffs had horrible officiating. National journalistis commented on it continually. A conspiracy? Or poor officiating from officials who've been at their job way too long? I'll go with the latter. Not saying I like Stern, but I think the situation is more chaotic then controlled (kind of like the rest of life.)

z0sa
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM

You don't speak for 29 fan bases.

Also, there's not just 1 series with questionable, game changing calls in 2006.

Galileo
03-04-2010, 05:23 PM
No, I don't keep claiming conspiracies against the Suns. Learn to fuckin read. The quote I keep posting could have just as easily been Spurs vs. Grizzlies, my point is that you seem to think Donaghy is this extremely credible source and take everything he says as fact EXCEPT for what he says about the Spurs vs. Suns series. Either all of what Donaghy says is true, or none of it is. I think it's all bullshitHe wouldn't tell the complete truth about everything and then make something up about the 2007 series. You can't cherry pick what he says and declare what is true and what isn't.

Donaghy never alleged a league-wide conspiracy for the 2007 Suns series. He said that Nunez had a grudge and was suspicious. You need to provide some evidence that your theory is true about this series.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Meh, there's nothing we can do about this anyways..

There are plenty of conspiracy theories and plenty of obvious incidents(Lakers-Kings game 6), but the fans can't do anything about..all we can do is keep watching and hoping we're getting a legit game..it's still basketball and it's a beautiful sport..

Galileo
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Meh, there's nothing we can do about this anyways..

There are plenty of conspiracy theories and plenty of obvious incidents(Lakers-Kings game 6), but the fans can't do anything about..all we can do is keep watching and hoping we're getting a legit game..it's still basketball and it's a beautiful sport..

Never underestimate the voice of the people.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
These conspiracy theories are complete and total bullshit if you ask me. Have the Spurs gotten screwed by officiating in select playoff series? Yes, but so have a myriad of other teams over the years. Crying about officiating is pointless--you KNOW there's gonna be bad calls coming, so the teams that win are usually those that are so good that questionable calls don't swing the balance in the game.

I get so sick and tired of fans whining about their team getting screwed. Kings fans STILL can't get over the '02 playoff series. How bout you get a fucking rebound at the end of a game and not let it bounce outside to Horry--that wasn't the first time he'd come up big at the end of a game btw. Suns fans that bitch about the '07 series act like Horry telepathically communicated to Stoudemire and Diaw to leave the bench and act like total fools. There's thousand other examples, but the point is to shut the fuck up about officiating and conspiracy theories--it just makes the entire fanbase look retarded.

Oh, and btw, Goran Dragic is owning like 2/3 of y'all on this thread. That's one suns fan with his head on straight right there.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Donaghy never alleged a league-wide conspiracy for the 2007 Suns series. He said that Nunez had a grudge and was suspicious. You need to provide some evidence that your theory is true about this series.

Goran really doesn't understand what Donaghy actually is stating.

jack sommerset
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I thought that scumbag ref fixed a Spews/Suns series.

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM

His theory is that the Spurs beat the Suns because the Spurs were the better team and that it had nothing whatsoever to do with the officiating. In the same regard, his theory is that the Spurs won titles in 1999, 2003, and 2005 because they were better than each of the teams they beat on their way to the title and not because the officiating had anything to do with it.

Are you saying that he needs to provide proof to you that the Spurs were better than the Suns in 2007? Something other than the fact that the Spurs won 4 games while the Suns won 2?

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that his theory is, furthermore, that the Lakers won the title in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2008 because they were better than the teams that they beat in those playoffs and not because the officiating had anything to do with it.

Probably, too, he thinks the Pistons and Heat and Celtics won rings by being better than their opponents and not because the officials caused them to win.

Galileo
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I just got off the phone with Tim Donaghy. He's a really cool guy, and I'm going to book him for some radio interviews.

Baseline
03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Galileo, that is awesome. Congratulations. I want to hear all about the interviews and what you're able to learn from Donaghy.

My opinion of him is that he's totally legit. The league had no choice but to bury him as a rogue referee. There's too much at stake to let people think for two seconds that there's a wider range of refs doing things to affect games, or that the league is encouraging practices which affect games.

I've been either a player or a fan my whole life, so it's obvious to me that games have been affected, and it's obvious to me that the league has affected certain trades as well.

Anyway, I'm particularly interested to hear if Donaghy sheds any light on how the league influenced referees in handling Laker games, or Kobe Bryant as an individual player. The league has obviously worked very hard to keep Bryant in our face through the media, which I've always thought was a bad idea, but it would be fascinating to hear more spceifics from Donaghy on the Lakers.

My point is, the day Shaquille was traded, the Lakers were no longer relevant, and weren't for 3.5 years. Then with one trade, they became the best team in the league. How does that happen other than league interference? I think it's clear that it doesn't happen unless the league makes it happen. The league had to get something done in order to keep Bryant in LA. He might of bolted for Chicago otherwise. So witht he Gasol trade, they accomplished two major goals - keeping Bryant in LA, and making the Lakers a finals team again. For Stern, the East has either Boston, LeBron, or Dwight Hoawrd in the Finals, but the West was in danger of having small market teams like the Spurs back in the Finals unless Stern did something about it. But trading Kwame Brown for Gasol? I mean, if you're going to cheat, at least make it look less obvious. Why there wasn't a congressional inquiry into this is beyond me.

I'd also like to hear more specifics from him on the Spurs, specifically the Derek Fisher shot being allowed to count, which I've always thought was the most blatant piece of manipulation in the history of the NBA. I think it's incredible that we have won four titles during an obvious period of league manipulation. I remember the days when the Spurs would routinely lose double digit leads to the Lakers in the 4th quarter of playoff games. With all the calls Bryant got, we'd have to be up by 16-18 points going into the 4th to even have a shot at winning the game, especially in 2001 and 2002, and even 2003. Thus, the Spurs had to work that much harder and be that much better in order to win. That's why I think we're a dynasty -- we got zero help, whereas teams like LA got nothing but help.

Case in point, the Lakers/Kings Game was in 2002. The Fisher shot was in 2004. The Fisher non-foul call on Brent Barry was in 2008.

Anyway, Galileo -- sorry about the long email, but it's great news that you were able to hook up with Donaghy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow. No shit the league didn't want the Spurs in the Finals. So conditioning on them making it to 4 of them, what does that tell you about the league's alleged manipulation of playoff games against them?

Don't use logic, bb, it confuses the masses! :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I just got off the phone with Tim Donaghy. He's a really cool guy, and I'm going to book him for some radio interviews.

Actually, he's a convicted felon, cheat and liar, but now he's suddenly a completely credible source? How gullible are you?

Maybe you have different standards than I, but I'd be reticent to jump on his bandwagon.

FeZZy
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
This does not allege an NBA conspiracy led by David Stern. It doesn't really allege anything except Donaghy's opinion.

Aight listen up cuz im only going to say this once..shut the fuck up if nba was fucked up then there wouldn't been a 2007 nba game sweep of the nba's prodigy son lebron james or they would of called the foul in the end of game three..the spurs wouldn't of won the nba championship in 2003 which had some of the worst ratings of all time why would he do that? why would 1999 nba finals not gone to the knicks if they were the most liked underdog in nba history can you just take a minute and realize shit yeah maybe refs are retarded and are payed like your bitch boy donaghy but its not stern and i dont even like the guy

TJastal
03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
I find it funny when people say "But the spurs won 4 titles so there can't be a conspiracy!!"

Well no, it still exists, it's just that the spurs were just that good. In the 2007 sweep of CLE and the league's poster boy James the spurs had a unique guy who could slow down their 1 man wrecking crew, and his name was Bruce Bowen.

I wonder just how many sleepless nights the spurs caused David Stern, trying to come up with a way to put an end to their dominance.

After the 4th title and spanking of poster boy James, the league finally had enough and started changing rules to reduce the effectiveness of the spurs' stifling defense. They also looked the other way while the lakers added a franchise player for mere scraps.

And of course there's the .04 Fisher shot and the Fisher foul on Brent Barry that went uncalled... actually the league has used Derek Fisher and his flopping to subtly influence outcomes of games for years. And he hardly needs any contact to to initiate a flop either and his flops always seem to come at critical points in the game when the lakers need an extra possession or a swing in momentum (I wonder why.. :lol Of course, the refs have never noticed such things and just "play dumb" every single time .. they have to know he's flopping by now, it's been well over 1 decade of this shit now. For years they've insulted the intelligence of basketball fans with this charade.

smeagol
03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Goran, be aware that the poster who started all this believes that 9/11 was an inside job. He loves conspiracy theories . . .

FromWayDowntown
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Actually, he's a convicted felon, cheat and liar, but now he's suddenly a completely credible source? How gullible are you?

Maybe you have different standards than I, but I'd be reticent to jump on his bandwagon.

When he's the only source to corroborate a hysterical conspiracy theory, I suppose that you'll take whatever you can get.

I'm convinced that next week, Galileo is going to start arguing about the conspiracy that causes the Sun to rise in the East each day. Such blatant favoritism for the East and its larger markets is surely not just a matter of coincidence.

Cane
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM

There are still convicted felons officiating the NBA today including the playoffs. Pretty shitty isn't it?

Baseline
03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I find it funny when people say "But the spurs won 4 titles so there can't be a conspiracy!!"

Well no, it still exists, it's just that the spurs were just that good. In the 2007 sweep of CLE and the league's poster boy James the spurs had a unique guy who could slow down their 1 man wrecking crew, and his name was Bruce Bowen.

I wonder just how many sleepless nights the spurs caused David Stern, trying to come up with a way to put an end to their dominance.

After the 4th title and spanking of poster boy James, the league finally had enough and started changing rules to reduce the effectiveness of the spurs' stifling defense. They also looked the other way while the lakers added a franchise player for mere scraps.

And of course there's the .04 Fisher shot and the Fisher foul on Brent Barry that went uncalled... actually the league has used Derek Fisher and his flopping to subtly influence outcomes of games for years. And he hardly needs any contact to to initiate a flop either and his flops always seem to come at critical points in the game when the lakers need an extra possession or a swing in momentum (I wonder why.. :lol Of course, the refs have never noticed such things and just "play dumb" every single time .. they have to know he's flopping by now, it's been well over 1 decade of this shit now. For years they've insulted the intelligence of basketball fans with this charade.

Exactly, TJ. If you watch as many Laker games as I do, there's a reason they're so confident down the stretch - they know they're going to get extra possessions, calls, and the benefit of 90% of the doubts.

When the Spurs won their titles, they knew that they would get the benefit of the doubt 10% of the time, and that's if they were lucky. So when people say they won four titles because they were just that good, it's the absolute truth. They had to be.

Galileo
03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Galileo, that is awesome. Congratulations. I want to hear all about the interviews and what you're able to learn from Donaghy.

My opinion of him is that he's totally legit. The league had no choice but to bury him as a rogue referee. There's too much at stake to let people think for two seconds that there's a wider range of refs doing things to affect games, or that the league is encouraging practices which affect games.

I've been either a player or a fan my whole life, so it's obvious to me that games have been affected, and it's obvious to me that the league has affected certain trades as well.

Anyway, I'm particularly interested to hear if Donaghy sheds any light on how the league influenced referees in handling Laker games, or Kobe Bryant as an individual player. The league has obviously worked very hard to keep Bryant in our face through the media, which I've always thought was a bad idea, but it would be fascinating to hear more spceifics from Donaghy on the Lakers.

My point is, the day Shaquille was traded, the Lakers were no longer relevant, and weren't for 3.5 years. Then with one trade, they became the best team in the league. How does that happen other than league interference? I think it's clear that it doesn't happen unless the league makes it happen. The league had to get something done in order to keep Bryant in LA. He might of bolted for Chicago otherwise. So witht he Gasol trade, they accomplished two major goals - keeping Bryant in LA, and making the Lakers a finals team again. For Stern, the East has either Boston, LeBron, or Dwight Hoawrd in the Finals, but the West was in danger of having small market teams like the Spurs back in the Finals unless Stern did something about it. But trading Kwame Brown for Gasol? I mean, if you're going to cheat, at least make it look less obvious. Why there wasn't a congressional inquiry into this is beyond me.

I'd also like to hear more specifics from him on the Spurs, specifically the Derek Fisher shot being allowed to count, which I've always thought was the most blatant piece of manipulation in the history of the NBA. I think it's incredible that we have won four titles during an obvious period of league manipulation. I remember the days when the Spurs would routinely lose double digit leads to the Lakers in the 4th quarter of playoff games. With all the calls Bryant got, we'd have to be up by 16-18 points going into the 4th to even have a shot at winning the game, especially in 2001 and 2002, and even 2003. Thus, the Spurs had to work that much harder and be that much better in order to win. That's why I think we're a dynasty -- we got zero help, whereas teams like LA got nothing but help.

Case in point, the Lakers/Kings Game was in 2002. The Fisher shot was in 2004. The Fisher non-foul call on Brent Barry was in 2008.

Anyway, Galileo -- sorry about the long email, but it's great news that you were able to hook up with Donaghy.

Thanks for the post. Yeh, it was cool that Tim Donaghy called me. I have three radio interviews lined up for him, and they are all going to be podcasted, and you can listen live on the Internet. I will be sure to post the info here. He said he did 8 radio interviews last week and three this week, and is working on another book. He said his current book is selling well.

The stuff you posted are good questions. When Donaghy does his interviews, I will solicit questions to have asked to him, and pass them on to the radio hosts. We are plannig the interviews after the college tournament is over.

btw - Doesn't Kori and Timvp do a radio show for Spurstalk? If they do, Tim Donaghy would be an excellent guest, in my opinion.

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know.

:hat

greyforest
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
When he's the only source to corroborate a hysterical conspiracy theory, I suppose that you'll take whatever you can get.

I'm convinced that next week, Galileo is going to start arguing about the conspiracy that causes the Sun to rise in the East each day. Such blatant favoritism for the East and its larger markets is surely not just a matter of coincidence.

Absolutely. There's no incentive - profit, ratings or otherwise for the NBA to be impartial in its officiating. Of all major sports, NBA is one of the least subjective to officiate, and has the least scrutiny surrounding such impartiality. No players or figureheads other than Donaghy have ever even alluded to such allegations.

Galileo
03-19-2010, 04:21 PM

criminals are used as reliable witnesses in most federal trials. They are used in the war on drugs and against organized crime. Over 50% of all federal defendants are up on conspiracy charges.

The only difference with Donaghy is that he's not saying what the government or big business want to hear.

One millions people are put behind bars each year by drug snitches in the racist war on drugs alone.

btw - Bob Delaney is a former undecover FBI snitch.

TJastal
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Absolutely. There's no incentive - profit, ratings or otherwise for the NBA to be impartial in its officiating Of all major sports, NBA is one of the least subjective to officiate, and has the least scrutiny surrounding such impartiality. No players or figureheads other than Donaghy have ever even alluded to such allegations.

Ok I'm really stumped here trying to decide which statement is dumber.

1. The "no incentive" for the league to be impartial.

2. Of all sports, nba officials have the least impartiality, cuz we all know the rules about traveling, offensive charges, contact in the post, yada yada yada are not subject to interpretation.

Place your vote now!

:lmao

Galileo
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Goran, be aware that the poster who started all this believes that 9/11 was an inside job. He loves conspiracy theories . . .

Two of the radio hosts I am getting Donaghy on are published authors on 9/11.

Galileo
03-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Good post Jason. You make logical points. It's nice to see that the Spurs fans in Wisconsin are not duped by David Stern.

btw - I talked to Mitch henck of WIBA, he says he will put Donaghy on the air.

Galileo
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Aight listen up cuz im only going to say this once..shut the fuck up if nba was fucked up then there wouldn't been a 2007 nba game sweep of the nba's prodigy son lebron james or they would of called the foul in the end of game three..the spurs wouldn't of won the nba championship in 2003 which had some of the worst ratings of all time why would he do that? why would 1999 nba finals not gone to the knicks if they were the most liked underdog in nba history can you just take a minute and realize shit yeah maybe refs are retarded and are payed like your bitch boy donaghy but its not stern and i dont even like the guy

game three on the '99 Finals was fixed.

Stern didn't want the series to go 3-0.

As for the non-call in game three of '07, all that proves is that ref was not in on the conspiracy.

What ref was it, btw?

Galileo
03-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Absolutely. There's no incentive - profit, ratings or otherwise for the NBA to be impartial in its officiating. Of all major sports, NBA is one of the least subjective to officiate, and has the least scrutiny surrounding such impartiality. No players or figureheads other than Donaghy have ever even alluded to such allegations.

Tim Duncan said in 2007 that Joey Crawford had a vendetta against him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Well no, it still exists, it's just that the spurs were just that good.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Two of the radio hosts I am getting Donaghy on are published authors on 9/11.

Richard Ramirez the night stalker serial killer was a published author, wtf is your point?

TJastal
03-19-2010, 05:10 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Oh I see how this works. So if post 25 laughing faces I'll be more right than you since you only posted 24.

TJastal
:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

TJastal
I feel so much smarter now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I seriously laughed though. "The Spurs were just that good," :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I thought that scumbag ref fixed a Spews/Suns series.

Donaghy says the Suns/Spurs series had tons of biased officiating in favor of the Spurs (which I think is bullshit just like everything else Donaghy says), coincidentally the Spurs fans who want to bury their head neck deep in Tim Donaghy's asshole think he made that up and everything else was true. Weird.

Galileo
03-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Give 'em hell, TJ!!

:-)

angelbelow
03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
This is of no surprise.

greyforest
03-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok I'm really stumped here trying to decide which statement is dumber.

1. The "no incentive" for the league to be impartial.

2. Of all sports, nba officials have the least impartiality, cuz we all know the rules about traveling, offensive charges, contact in the post, yada yada yada are not subject to interpretation.

Place your vote now!

Tim Duncan said in 2007 that Joey Crawford had a vendetta against him.

:lmao not very good at detecting sarcasm

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
criminals are used as reliable witnesses in most federal trials. They are used in the war on drugs and against organized crime. Over 50% of all federal defendants are up on conspiracy charges.

The only difference with Donaghy is that he's not saying what the government or big business want to hear.

One millions people are put behind bars each year by drug snitches in the racist war on drugs alone.

btw - Bob Delaney is a former undecover FBI snitch.

It is hilarious that you call yourself Galileo and continually commit logical heresy. We are not talking about the War on Drugs (that is called "switching the goalposts"), we are talking about an alleged NBA conspiracy which would have to involve tens to hundreds of people, none of whom have yet whistleblown. Only the guy caught padding his pockets, Donaghy, has become a whistleblower... at the same time as he has a book to promote in an effort to rebuild his shattered finances. Furthermore, the alleged conspiracy would have the big market teams in the Finals every year, even though 5 of the last 10 championships have gone to small market teams.

Apply a few basic tests of logical thinking here - such as Occam's razor - and your house of cards fell over before you even built it. It also doesn't help that you are trying to make your bones by becoming part of this story, which is clearly blinding you to the obvious.

There is no question that the NBA has three referring standards - one for superstars, one for rookies, and one for everyone else. Personally, I hate that and consider it a cultural problem within the league. But that does not mean the NBA is a scripted soap opera like the WWE, or a grand conspiracy by the big market teams.

Galileo
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
It is hilarious that you call yourself Galileo and continually commit logical heresy. We are not talking about the War on Drugs (that is called "switching the goalposts"), we are talking about an alleged NBA conspiracy which would have to involve tens to hundreds of people, none of whom have yet whistleblown. Only the guy caught padding his pockets, Donaghy, has become a whistleblower... at the same time as he has a book to promote in an effort to rebuild his shattered finances. Furthermore, the alleged conspiracy would have the big market teams in the Finals every year, even though 5 of the last 10 championships have gone to small market teams.

Apply a few basic tests of logical thinking here - such as Occam's razor - and your house of cards fell over before you even built it. It also doesn't help that you are trying to make your bones by becoming part of this story, which is clearly blinding you to the obvious.

There is no question that the NBA has three referring standards - one for superstars, one for rookies, and one for everyone else. Personally, I hate that and consider it a cultural problem within the league. But that does not mean the NBA is a scripted soap opera like the WWE, or a grand conspiracy by the big market teams.

You have been duped by your Big Brother David Stern.