PDA

View Full Version : Never write off the Spurs, but

duncan228
03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Never write off the Spurs, but (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/03/01/write-spurs/)
You can never totally count out Tim Duncan and the Spurs, but ...
FoxSports

It was the fourth quarter of another Suns-Spurs skirmish and the San Antonio strategy on this particular Sunday was the same as it's been for several years.

With the Phoenix offense going through co-stars Steve Nash and Amare' Stoudemire, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was deploying a trap-the-ball tactic against the Suns' signature high screen-and-roll game. Pop usually allows Nash a reasonable bit of screen-roll freedom for three quarters and puts the squeeze on in the final 12 minutes.

Unfortunately, veteran San Antonio post man Tim Duncan, who'd been busy annihilating Suns sophomore Robin Lopez at the other end of the Spurs' home floor, no longer seemed to have the quickness to achieve the proper angle to prevent Nash from turning the corner off the dribble. With Duncan unable to make senior-citizen Nash slow down or space-dribble backward, teammate George Hill couldn't get past the screening Stoudemire quickly enough to trap the ball.

With that cushion between defenders available, the needle-threading Nash was able to find slip-screening Stoudemire, who was throwing haymakers through the rim ahead of San Antonio's back-side rotation. In the good ol' days, when the Spurs were executing their defensive maneuvers and winning playoff series, those traps and rotations were pristine.

Ironically, the Suns -- historically challenged when the opposition has the ball -- executed the trap of a late-game Spurs screen-roll and Phoenix forward Jared Dudley rotated at the proper time to intercept a pass. But two-time, NBA slam-dunk champ Jason Richardson missed on the enusing breakaway-jam attempt and San Antonio held on for its sixth victory in 11 February games.

So, even though they were a pedestrian 4-4 on this year's Rodeo Road Trip, the 33-24 Spurs should not have dirt lobbed on their quest for a deep playoff run, right? Well, I'd like to admit that -- with Pop rationing minutes for Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili -- the Spurs should not be slept on once the playoffs begins. I also would like to point out that Hill just continues to get better, off-season acquisition Richard Jefferson was way above average off the bench against Phoenix and could be a force in the coming weeks, and rookie DeJuan Blair gives San Antonio a powerful force to assist Duncan.

I'd like to write that things will be just dandy in San Antonio, but I can't.

While all of those things written two paragraphs earlier are true, the Spurs currently sit in seventh place in the Western Conference standings with a closing schedule that does them few favors. Here's what's troubling: they have a combined mark of 4-10 against the top four teams in each conference, but still have 10 games remaining against a gauntlet starring the Cleveland Cavaliers (two), Los Angeles Lakers (two), Orlando Magic (two) Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks and Denver Nuggets.

With Pop still looking to keep Duncan perky for the playoffs, they also have six more back-to-back game situations, and are 3-6 during this short-rest predicament this season.

Despite Sunday's 113-110 triumph over Phoenix and last week's victory against the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Spurs continue to struggle playing Pop-level defense. For the record, there's a lot more going wrong than Duncan's half-step-slower reaction on a hard show against the standard screen-and-roll play. One big issue is San Antonio's inability to line up a serious post defender alongside their Hall-of-Famer in a conference loaded with big dudes that can play.

Sure, Blair is a good rebounder and has the girth to root out certain players on the block. But he checks in at a generous 6-foot-7, a length that -- no matter how much junk he has in the trunk -- can't prevent turn-and-shoot opportunities for the likes of Pau Gasol, Kenyon Martin, Carlos Boozer and perimeter-based Dirk Nowitzki. One guy he shares time with -- veteran Antonio McDyess -- prefers facing the hoop and squeezing off jumpers to defending with gusto in the paint. A Spurs employee with enough length and bounce to take on some of the aforementioned post enemies is 23-year-old Ian Mahinmi, a D-League prospect who was on the inactive list while Stoudemire was giving the Spurs 41 points. More seasoning is required before the coach trusts this kid in his rotation.

Beyond the post-defense issue is San Antonio's seeming lack of passion to guard the opposition. Although the numbers list their defensive efficiency at 104.9 points per 100 possessions compared to 104.3 last season, the statistic is relative to what's going with other teams in the league. The Spurs were fifth in defensive efficiency last season, but just 12th right now.

Perhaps they'll receive a dialed-up defensive effort from Jefferson, who arrived in the NBA eight years ago as a tremendous athlete with strength, lateral quickness and a history of shutting down wing operators. RJ was sort of forced to develop a defensive attitude in those days because he play college basketball at Arizona with the likes of unequal-opportunity scorers named Gilbert Arenas, Jason Gardner and Michael Wright. But as the years progressed and Jefferson's offensive game developed against the limited-help situations and offensive-oriented rules of the NBA, Richard became less inclined to sweat it up on D. Hey, it pays more to score.

And now, working the floor with such highly accomplished teammates, his opportunities to score are diminished by rank and a Popovich pace that often limits fast-break options to a one-man effort from Parker. Parker, it should be noted, has experienced ankle-related slippage (about six fewer points per game) that helps explain the Spurs' situation.

With Jefferson attempting to hit his stride at small forward, San Antonio also has issues at shooting guard, where Ginobili is used as sixth man behind the likes of marginal Keith Bogans or aging Michael Finley. Another Spur on the depth chart is Roger Mason Jr., who was quite a find, from a hired-gun standpoint last season, but his challenges on defense have inspired Pop to remove a great deal of his workload this season. This has created more minutes for Hill at the two and invited teams with big shooting guards to take him into the post.

Even if their assembled pieces begin to play a winning tune for the rest of the regular season, the Spurs would need a nice rally to avoid Denver or Dallas in the opening round of the playoffs. The Nuggets seem to have too much for San Antonio to overcome, especially as a lower seed, and the Mavericks' pre-deadline trade makes them more formidable than they've been since blowing that Finals series against Miami.

So while common sense prevents anyone from sticking a fork in a team that features Tim Duncan, the salad days seem to be long gone.

Allanon
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Just when you feel like writing off the Spurs, they get two quality wins...makes you want to "believe" again :lol

urunobili
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
CROFL Yahoo... thanks :tu

SenorSpur
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
There is absolutely no reward for a Spurs playoff appearance and a quick first-round exit.

Bender
03-03-2010, 08:47 PM
With Pop still looking to keep Duncan perky...
breasts are perky, NBA players are, well... anything else

Russ
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
breasts are perky, NBA players are, well... anything else

At least he didn't say that Duncan was "sagging" in on D.:flag:

ulosturedge
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Jefferson is finally doing something which is encouraging. The two pros from him is he is finally being aggressive and taking the ball to the rim, and the other is he is actually making an effort to rebound the ball. The bad is he doesn't have enough balls to be a go-to-player on offense, and he will never be a good defender.

But even though we might have somewhat improved at the SF spot, we still are undersized at the center position. But even if we did have a real center, I still think our defense would be horrid(or would everything else fall right into place?) because it seems like everyone is contributing to poor defense throughout the game. It's not just one person who is getting burned; it seems like every single one of our players take turns getting burned which is disgusting to see.

Yet you wonder how much better our team and team record would have been if Parker was 100%. Healthy, I don't think we are bad as we are, but I also don't think we would be good enough to be serious contenders.

If there is no serious progress by the end of the season we are definitely getting ousted in the first round.

Capt Bringdown
03-03-2010, 11:35 PM
The foundation of our titles was being an elite defensive team. In '07, we couldn't count on it every night, but we could on occasion raise our intensity.
Now we can't even put together an entire quarter of elite defense, much less an entire game or playoff series.

We needed to go all out to find or develop the pieces that we lost over the years, but we didn't. In fairness, players like Bruce don't grow on trees. But we could have and should have been able to find a serviceable big - someone along the lines of Rasho, Nazr or even Elsen.
Dice and Bonner ain't going to cut it.

slayermin
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Everyone is writing them off including most of our own fans. It's difficult not to be intimidated by our schedule. But I'm actually excited about it. Let's see what this team is about. I know I'm gonna try to go to few games down the stretch.

NRHector
03-04-2010, 12:40 AM
:spam: is that time again

Libri
03-04-2010, 12:49 AM
In fairness, players like Bruce don't grow on trees.

That's right, Bruce was a natural at defense, just like Blair is at rebounding. It's something that is difficult to teach. It will be a long time until we see another player with the same defensive abilities as Bruce.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Everyone is writing them off including most of our own fans. It's difficult not to be intimidated by our schedule. But I'm actually excited about it. Let's see what this team is about. I know I'm gonna try to go to few games down the stretch.

That's what happens when the team is 3-10 against top tier teams in the West and is facing a possible first-round matchup with the Fakers or Denver.

lefty
03-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Just when you feel like writing off the Spurs, they get two quality wins...makes you want to "believe" again :lol
Exactly

Since we destroyed Denver on the road before the ASG, we have beaten good teams and lost to average/bad teams; won thank to Pop, lost because of him

slayermin
03-04-2010, 01:32 AM
That's what happens when the team is 3-10 against top tier teams in the West and is facing a possible first-round matchup with the Fakers or Denver.

Let's see how they finish. Don't forget TD's conversation with Bill Russell last year. He wants to get one more ring. If we get MVP Tim Duncan the home stretch, anything is possible.

But I'd be lying if I said I like our chances against the Lakers. Denver? Ehh. Dallas and Utah would be worse matchups for us than Denver.

Blackjack
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Unfortunately, veteran San Antonio post man Tim Duncan, who'd been busy annihilating Suns sophomore Robin Lopez at the other end of the Spurs' home floor, no longer seemed to have the quickness to achieve the proper angle to prevent Nash from turning the corner off the dribble. With Duncan unable to make senior-citizen Nash slow down or space-dribble backward, teammate George Hill couldn't get past the screening Stoudemire quickly enough to trap the ball.

With that cushion between defenders available, the needle-threading Nash was able to find slip-screening Stoudemire, who was throwing haymakers through the rim ahead of San Antonio's back-side rotation. In the good ol' days, when the Spurs were executing their defensive maneuvers and winning playoff series, those traps and rotations were pristine.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough to grasp what so many seem to when discussing Amar'e's success against the Spurs, but this explanation seems a bit ... crap?

The biggest reason for his success, in my view, is Pop's preference to deny the three-point shot. And while there's some validity to bad hedging or slower foot speed as being culprits, the high pick and roll the Suns run with Nash and Stoudemire leaves you to pick your poison: rotate from the weakside early to prevent or hinder Amar'e's roll, or make him commit to the roll and a scoring opportunity to prevent the 3-ball (often the short corner) off his or a Nash pass.

And when the writer mentions the Spurs' good ol' days of "pristine" traps and rotations, and there definitely was a time when that was the case, citing it as an example when their "good ol'" days consisted of the series that allowed the general NBA public to overvalue Amar'e because of some great stats ... seems a bit misplaced.

Tim was slowed with two busted ankles in '05 and it netted much the same result: Amar'e with his 40 and the Spurs with the win.

TD 21
03-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Can one of these columnists grow a set of balls? It's been two straight years (spanning parts of three seasons) where we've heard this crap ad nauseam now. They all indicate that they've given up on the team, but few, if any, will come right out and just say it, they all leave that caveat in the unlikely event that they're left looking like idiots again. I'm sick of them trying to have it both ways. If they think the team is done, they state is definitively and unequivocally, but don't leave this door slightly ajar crap. Blatant cop out, in an attempt to save face either way.

taps
03-04-2010, 05:03 AM
the high pick and roll the Suns run with Nash and Stoudemire leaves you to pick your poison: rotate from the weakside early to prevent or hinder Amar'e's roll, or make him commit to the roll and a scoring opportunity to prevent the 3-ball (often the short corner) off his or a Nash pass.

Yup, seems like this writer is just using some vague memory of us owning the suns for a decade as an excuse to call duncan washed up without actually looking at old game footage before opening his mouth. "Tey used to be good at d now they sux!1" Games b/w these two teams are always close, it almost doesn't even bear mentioning.

What the writer totally misses is the superior "footspeed" (lol footspeed) of the best perimiter defender in the league. How many times would we see Nash and Stoudemire rushing to the basket w/ duncan hooked out on the perimiter after the screen only to see Nash flip one of his behind the back passes right into Bowen's stomach. Bruce was so good at denying that pass he would either force him to take it straight into the help defense or risk a turnover passing it to Stoudemire. No one could get position around the screen like bowen.

Blatant cop out, in an attempt to save face either way.

:bang :toast