PDA

View Full Version : Celtics hope to get shot at Michael Finley-- Boston Herald

ploto
03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
The Celtics have identified what is believed to be a relatively small field of potential free agents now that the deadline for player buyouts has passed.

A Celtics source confirmed yesterday the primary target is veteran swingman Michael Finley, who was bought out of his contract by San Antonio on Monday. Finley is expected to clear waivers tonight. The team also is interested, to a lesser degree, in free agent guard Larry Hughes.

But Finley clearly has a rapt audience in the Celtics, who admittedly could use another shooter even after trading for Nate Robinson last week.

“Every team has some holes, and shooting is something we can’t have enough of,” Doc Rivers said after yesterday morning’s shootaround. “You look at some of these other teams, their shooting was ridiculous.”

Finley certainly has filled that role for the Spurs in recent years.

He’s also a player close to the Celtics coach’s heart, if only because of his roots.

Like Rivers and the Lakers’ Shannon Brown, Finley graduated from Chicago’s Proviso East High School.

“It’s another Proviso kid, they’re all good,” Rivers said. “Well, actually, Michael was probably the best. But we’re looking around. I don’t know if I can even say anything about Michael yet.

“But I don’t think a veteran ever hurts. It always helps if it’s the right one.”

The Celtics will compete with the usual playoff suspects for Finley, reportedly including the Lakers, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Mavericks and Jazz.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100303celtics_hope_to_get_shot_at_michael_finley/srvc=home&position=also

PDXSpursFan
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Good luck with Finley as a 3-pt shooter. Down to 31% this year... oouch!!

Allanon
03-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I've seen this talked about alot on Celtics boards.

Finley on the Celtics could replace Eddie House. House couldn't defend either but he sure could make some timely 3's.

Finley's pretty much a non-factor in regular games but I think he can step it up for a few games in the Playoffs...much like a Derek Fisher or Robert Horry.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
house?

ElNono
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
There's the distinct possibility that Doc Rivers won't have Fin guard Lebron, so he might be more successful over there.

But above all, good luck to Mike and the Celtics... they're gonna need it.

Fabbs
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
P.T. Barnham was right.

rogcl1
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
P.T. Barnham was right.

I must say that I do not agree with much of what you say , but this is classic. You are right on on this one. Cheers

greyforest
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
finley sucks at every facet of basketball at this point

ducks
03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I want him on the cavs,lakers,magic.nuggets

4>0rings
03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I was hoping the Lakers picked him up so teams would actually have a chance of winning.

Capt Bringdown
03-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Finley's pretty much a non-factor in regular games but I think he can step it up for a few games in the Playoffs...much like a Derek Fisher or Robert Horry.

Finley can't reasonably be compared to the super-ultra-mega clutchness of Fisher and Horry IMO.

Fisher and Horry have had legendary playoff moments.

Finley may or may not have made some decent playoff contributions for the Spurs, I think it's debatable. Nothing, certainly along the lines of the magic Horry and Fisher have produced.

And it's not like Finley hasn't had his chances. I think if you look at his overall career, he's a disappointing playoff performer. That was certainly his reputation in Dallas. And I don't think he redeemed himself much in SA.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 12:57 AM
The only way the Celtics can win the NBA Championship this year is if Kobe, Duncan and Durant were on the team. If they pick up Finley they'll be the mirror image of the Spurs the past couple of years. Good luck Celtics...you're gonna need it. :toast