PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Ginobili, Blair have on-court symbiosis

duncan228
03-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Spurs' Ginobili, Blair have on-court symbiosis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_Ginobili_Blair_have_on-court_symbiosis.html)
Jeff McDonald

When the Spurs dealt away Fabricio Oberto in June, Manu Ginobili figured he not only was losing one of his best friends and a fellow countryman.

He was losing his favorite pick-and-roll partner.

“I played with Fabri for over 10 years,” said Ginobili, who first met Oberto when they were teenagers in Argentina. “He knew exactly how I wanted the screens. He had a passion for setting screens like I've never seen.”

Surprisingly, it hasn't taken Ginobili long to find Oberto's pick-and-roll heir apparent. He wouldn't be surprised if he found out that rookie DeJuan Blair has Argentine blood in his veins, too.

“I think we enjoy playing together, and we're beginning to get to know each other,” Ginobili said. “We've only been together for 50 games or so, so it's very promising.”

Blair and Ginobili are only in the courtship phase of their relationship, but they pick and roll like an old married couple. With Ginobili supplying the trick-shot passes, and Blair producing the kind of slick catches and nimble finishes that belie his 6-foot-7, 270-pound frame, the Spurs' second unit often has become must-see theater.

Where Oberto was a Hall of Fame pick-setter, Blair has proven himself adept at the other half of the equation.

“He's a really good roller,” Ginobili said. “I know he's going to be attacking the rim. That's something you can count on, even when you don't see him.”

Drafted in the second round two days after the Spurs jettisoned Oberto in the Richard Jefferson trade, Blair is part of the reason Ginobili is averaging a career-high 4.7 assists per game. Ginobili is part of the reason Blair has scored in double figures seven times since the start of February.

Sunday's win over Phoenix produced what is fast becoming a typical stat line for the pair. Blair got four of his six field goals off passes from Ginobili, who got half his eight assists throwing to Blair.

“I love playing with Manu,” said Blair, who hopes to keep the connection going Friday against New Orleans. “He's an excellent passer, and he knows when to give on the pick-and-roll.”

Ginobili's passing exploits were well-chronicled even before he, Oberto and Luis Scola pick-and-rolled the U.S. team into submission during the 2004 Olympics.

Less apparent, before his first NBA season began, was Blair's talent for pick-and-roll pass-catching.

He had played primarily in a pick-and-roll offense in two college seasons at Pittsburgh but had never played with a passer as tricky as Ginobili.

“Coming down and playing with Manu, it's not that different,” Blair said. “You just have to get used to where the passes are coming from.”

That's not as simple as it sounds. Antonio McDyess, another of the Spurs' big-man offseason additions, still struggles to read Ginobili from time to time.

Blair has had less trouble adjusting, for a variety of reasons. Two are his hands, as large as frying pans and apparently magnetized.

Like a quarterback gaining confidence in a receiver, Ginobili has learned that few passes are too fast or too difficult for Blair to handle.

“I can throw hard passes, or complicated passes, and I know he's going to catch it,” Ginobili said.

Blair has also demonstrated an innate sense of the geometry of a basketball court, a trait that has already made him one of the NBA's most efficient rebounders.

It also helps him play the angles on the pick-and-roll.

“His spatial awareness on the court, knowing where he is at all times, is really good,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “In a pick-and-roll situation, that is important.”

So is trust. Ginobili already has plenty of it in Blair.

The two are still in the early stages of their relationship, but with Blair, Ginobili can already envision a long and fruitful pick-and-roll partnership.

“We're still learning each other,” Ginobili said. “But so far, so good.”

Blackjack
03-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Spurs' Ginobili, Blair have on-court symbiosis

Penicillin? Is that treatable with Penicillin?

slayermin
03-04-2010, 01:27 AM
I am amazed at Dejuan's finesse around the basket. He's not a high flyer but some of his finishes at the rim have been extremely impressive. Very Tim Duncanesque.

Libri
03-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Manu has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. Even Tim has been caught off guard by Manu's passes. It has been very interesting to see the teamwork develop between Manu and Blair. It's almost like if they are communicating telepathically.

lefty
03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
I would like to know if Penicillin could cure Pop's insanity

DAF86
03-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Ginobili said. “We've only been together for 50 games or so, so it's very promising.”

Implying that he will stay in San Antonio? :stirpot:

Nathan Explosion
03-04-2010, 02:59 AM

This is the quote you should have pointed to.

The two are still in the early stages of their relationship, but with Blair, Ginobili can already envision a long and fruitful pick-and-roll partnership.

“We're still learning each other,” Ginobili said. “But so far, so good.”

DAF86
03-04-2010, 03:05 AM

I pointed the other one 'cause that was a straight Manu quote not an indirect one, still promising signs.

Dex
03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
To me, Manu's comments in this article sound very "long term", which I feel is a good sign.

Probably just reading too much into the context, but at least Manu doesn't seem to be obviously cutting his ties and pondering his choices for free agency.

I still feel that the Spurs loyalty is to Manu and Manu's loyalty is to the Spurs. He is proving that he can play like he once did, and if he can keep up this pace then the Spurs would be fools to not treat him fairly this summer.

rjv
03-04-2010, 10:49 AM

i thought the same thing when i read that.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
McDonald: I Received a "Word of the Day" Desk Calendar for Christmas

tp2021
03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Blair has had less trouble adjusting, for a variety of reasons. Two are his hands, as large as frying pans and apparently magnetized.

How does Manu do what he does?

Tiny magnets.

G-Nob
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Too bad they can't defend the F'n pick n roll...

BillMc
03-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Let's just hope the partnership continues another 2 to 4 years...

PDXSpursFan
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
"his (Blair's) hands, as large as frying pans and apparently magnetized"

:lol

OldSilentHill
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by duncan228

Fail. This is a quote from Jeff McDonald, not from Manu.

Mister Sinister
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Now, now. The only way to get rid of symbiosis is with fire or sonic blasts, if Marvel has taught us anything.

DBMethos
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Now, now. The only way to get rid of symbiosis is with fire or sonic blasts, if Marvel has taught us anything.

:lol Bravo, good sir.

benefactor
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
McDonald: I Received a "Word of the Day" Desk Calendar for Christmas
:lol

TMTTRIO
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't get excited yet about what Manu said. It still depends on a lot of things. If the Spurs start struggling again like they have been both sides may want to go another way and Manu may still look at other teams. Also I do believe that Manu's going to test out the Free Agency market and see what he can get and if there's a team that's attractive to him and throws him more money than the Spurs will offer he may just bite at that.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, some of y'all read WAY too much into a couple of random quotes. Don't get me wrong, sometimes you gotta read between the lines, but some of y'all are making some pretty wild speculations from a random interview.

I'm just sayin'.....

alchemist
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Manu's going for the money, if someone gives him more than what the Spurs offer he'll take it.

If he continues to play really well to finish this season than his free agency value will be high (pending his decision to play in the summer.)

DAF86
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Manu's going for the money, if someone gives him more than what the Spurs offer he'll take it.

If he continues to play really well to finish this season than his free agency value will be high (pending his decision to play in the summer.)

How do you know this?

ElNono
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
He has twins coming, and this is probably his last chance to get a medium to high contract... I'm sure those will be important factors when decision time arrives...
That said, if the Spurs don't lowball him, I think they have a better chance than anybody else to sign him up in the offseason...

alchemist
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
How do you know this?
I'm sure you've read his last Interviews on this subject. It's all business now, nothing personal.

WalterBenitez
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Did Blair ever played for US Natl Team? ... I could sponsorize his ARG's nationality.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
These two have the best on-court chemistry outside of Tim and Tony. I'd love to see them in Spurs unis and on the court together for another couple years.