PDA

View Full Version : Do you put ketchup on weird things?

Dex
03-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Inspired from the Grilled Cheese thread...

Personally, I'm not an advocate of ketchupping things that shouldn't be ketchupped. Fries, hot dogs, catfish...all of these are ketchup things.

My brother used to always put ketchup in his Mac & Cheese, which always grossed me out. My sister was known to put ketchup in her scrambled eggs. :wow

Any others?

Dex
03-04-2010, 10:50 AM
And on a side note, what the hell is the difference between ketchup and catsup?

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Speaking of ketchup you guys should try my recipe for CosmicCowboy Ketchup...

Take a regular 64oz squeeze bottle of Heinz ketchup and dump it into a ziplock bag. Add 2 japalenos and 2 serranos (finely diced, seeds and all) and a heaping tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper...mix well, then nip a corner off the ziplock bag and squeeze it back into the bottle.

It kicks ass and just gets better the longer it stays in the fridge.

florige
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Take a regular 64oz squeeze bottle of Heinz ketchup and dump it into a ziplock bag. Add 2 japalenos and 2 serranos (finely diced, seeds and all) and a heaping tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper...mix well, then nip a corner off the ziplock bag and squeeze it back into the bottle.

You would probably make a ton of money if you started cooking on the side and charging for it. :lol

Dr. Gonzo
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I mix Yucateca habanero sauce in my ketchup. That's good enough for me.

florige
03-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Habanero is hot as shit!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
And on a side note, what the hell is the difference between ketchup and catsup?

If I'm not mistaken it's on account of a feud between Heinz and some other company that made ketchup. Ketchup is the proper name, I believe.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Ketchup should be used strictly for dipping purposes. Not like how mexicans use salt. Also, taste the damn food before you ruin it with ketchup or salt.

Dr. Gonzo
03-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Habanero is hot as shit!

I'm used to it. It doesn't burn that bad.

leemajors
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm used to it. It doesn't burn that bad.

the red or green. my sister had been bringing me some habanero sauce from belize but she hasn't been in a while. this seems like a good replacement...

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Personally, I'm not an advocate of ketchupping things that shouldn't be ketchupped. Fries, hot dogs, catfish...all of these are ketchup things.

My brother used to always put ketchup in his Mac & Cheese, which always grossed me out. My sister was known to put ketchup in her scrambled eggs. :wow

Any others?

I use it pretty sparingly---mostly just for fries and scrambled eggs, like your sister. I think ketchup on hot dogs is totally wrong!

Ginofan
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I CAN'T eat my scrambled eggs without ketchup!

Whenever we go to whataburger I like to put mix their ketchup with some pepper.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
the red or green. my sister had been bringing me some habanero sauce from belize but she hasn't been in a while. this seems like a good replacement...

Hot Mama's? That stuff is damn good.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM

This shit is the business. I usually have it with my omelettes and breakfast foods.

CosmicCowboy's ketchup sounds divine. I'll have to try that sometime...

Dr. Gonzo
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Red

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm getting confused with the talk of hot sauces in both of these threads. Maybe they need to get merged into the argument thread for a real discussion :)

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Red

Naw man, you got to go with the Verde...that's the real Y sauce!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM

:lol this reminds me of that flintstones episode where they made glue with glue being one of the ingredients. :lol

JudynTX
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
i can't eat my scrambled eggs without ketchup!

+1

Dr. Gonzo
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Naw man, you got to go with the Verde...that's the real Y sauce!

I'll give it a shot.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Either is good, Dr. G, but I think the green has a little more kick...damn I want an omelette now lol.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Every things.

:downspin

JudynTX
03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I also like ketchup on my tamales.

leemajors
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Hot Mama's? That stuff is damn good.

Marie Sharps or something like that. I only have 1/3 of my big bottle left.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Mexican't.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Marie Sharps or something like that. I only have 1/3 of my big bottle left.

I'll need to check that out. Thanks.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's a weird thing, but I only eat french fries with a chicken fried steak because the ketchup from the fries mixes with the white gravy---and since I don't much care for that gravy the ketchup really helps. :)

JudynTX
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't think it's a weird thing, but I only eat french fries with a chicken fried steak because the ketchup from the fries mixes with the white gravy---and since I don't much care for that gravy the ketchup really helps. :)

Can you change your name to Sally? Thanks. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
:lmao

or OTS.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I'd just do that as a kid to freak everyone out that I was eating pink gravy. Purely for the "shock" value

florige
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I use it pretty sparingly---mostly just for fries and scrambled eggs, like your sister. I think ketchup on hot dogs is totally wrong!

I can do ketchup, but mustard is really all I need.

RGMCSE
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
I know this is going to sound gross, because the first time I witnessed it I was repulsed. Well I saw one of my friends in Puerto Rico mix ketchup into his arroz con gandules. I was like WTF??? But a few years later I had an incline to just try it. You know what? It fuckin rocked!!!!

Rob

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I know this is going to sound gross, because the first time I witnessed it I was repulsed. Well I saw one of my friends in Puerto Rico mix ketchup into his arroz con gandules. I was like WTF??? But a few years later I had an incline to just try it. You know what? It fuckin rocked!!!!

Rob

I'm glad you signed off on this post. I would've never known who'd post it if you hadn't.

RGMCSE
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm glad you signed off on this post. I would've never known who'd post it if you hadn't.

It's just a habit you dumb fuck.

Rob

marini martini
03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
I get offended when my husband puts ketchup on stuff I make for dinner like roast beef, stir-fry, and meatloaf.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
It's just a habit you dumb fuck.

Rob

Man. You're good :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I get offended when my husband puts ketchup on stuff I make for dinner like roast beef, stir-fry, and meatloaf.

Right on, dippity-doo. I hate that. That's why I don't buy ketchup.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
To each his/her own...you anti-ketchup nazis, you... ;)

JoeChalupa
03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I too use ketchup on my scrambled eggs.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
It's interesting when you go to foreign countries because a lot of times the cuisine is buoyed by ketchup...Like when you visit South American countries such as Ecuador...

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Rob

What is "gandules"? Never heard of that----I know what arroz is :)

leemajors
03-04-2010, 03:40 PM
It's interesting when you go to foreign countries because a lot of times the cuisine is buoyed by ketchup...Like when you visit South American countries such as Ecuador...

I saw that on Anthony Bourdouche's show Monday.

redzero
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Fries, hot dogs, catfish...all of these are ketchup things.

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/09/16/734452/joewilsonlead-420x0.jpg

You lie!

SpursWoman
03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
What is "gandules"?

Pigeon peas!

It's a Puerto Rican rice and pea dish seasoned with sofrito and diced ham, apparently.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Pigeon peas!

I don't even want to know .... :lol

:tu I think that's probably the best approach.

RGMCSE
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
What is "gandules"? Never heard of that----I know what arroz is :)

All it is, is a pigeon pea or bean. I'm sure you've seen it before. It's like frosted flakes for rican's.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3248452706_d7930c3318.jpg

Rob

RGMCSE
03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
:tu I think that's probably the best approach.

The sound of "Pigeon pea" would prolly throw me off too. But if you have eaten regular pinto beans. Like a bowl of beans, the flavor is not much different at all. Trust me, don't be afraid to try it.

Rob

mrsmaalox
03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
The sound of "Pigeon pea" would prolly throw me off too. But if you have eaten regular pinto beans. Like a bowl of beans, the flavor is not much different at all. Trust me, don't be afraid to try it.

Rob

Well it actually does look appetizing. I think I'd hold the ketchup ;)

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw that on Anthony Bourdouche's show Monday.

Yeah, someone told me about that lol. I didn't see the episode, but I can vouch for that actually happening in a number of dishes down in Quitto and such.

Ed Lover
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Who the fuck made you the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be "ketchupped" son?! Is there a fuckin ketchup king who bestowed his al-fuckin-mighty powers upon you?! Just who the fuck do you think you are?

C'mon Son!!! Getdafuckouttaherewitdatboolshit!

By the way son, I put ketchup on eggs. Is that shit okay with you?! Damn!

Ginobilly
03-04-2010, 05:23 PM
what is it with some you non-tejanos who think putting ketchup on hotdogs is weird/bad? I mean, it makes sense. Hotdogs are usually served with french fries or onion rings, and you put ketchup on fries. Anyways, I like to substitute ketchup for BBQ sometimes.

J.T.
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Dude ketchup on mac n cheese is bomb. You missing out.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

This is even weirder than calling a quesadilla a grilled cheese sandwich.

CuckingFunt
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM

I used to do that when I was a kid.

Now that I'm all grown up and adult like, I put Pico Pica taco sauce in my mac & cheese instead. Nummies.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
What's so strange about ketchup on your scrambled eggs? Are you meaning in the egg prior to cooking or post-scramble? I prefer homemade salsa, but sometimes the ol ketchup is a viable stand-in.

Reichen Lehmkuhl
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Is cawk a weird thing to put ketchup on?

TheManFromAcme
03-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I mix Ketchup (Heinz) with cottage cheese, mix it with a little cracked pepper and spread it on Ritz crackers or saltines. Yummy...:hungry:

On a normal level, I put it on hash browns and meatloaf.

ploto
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I do not know the last time I put ketchup on anything.

SpursWoman
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I liked ketchup on scrambled eggs when I was little ... Back before the dinosaurs came up with picante sauce. :spin

lefty
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Sometimes I like to put a little Ketchup on hard cheese or roasted chicken

:D

TIMMYD!
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Ketchup on scrambled eggs is so fucking awesome.

lefty
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Ketchup on scrambled eggs is so fucking awesome.
I agree

And sometimes I sprinkle some grated cheese in the eggs/ketchup mix

Yummy.....

Ginofan
03-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only "weird" one who loves ketchup with their scrambled eggs :) I also like to have refried beans with my scrambled eggs when there isn't any ketchup around. Just can't have them plain for some reason haha

oh crap
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Rofl @ all the "grown ups" in this thread who put ketchup on their eggs and mac and cheese. I thought this was reserved for elementary aged school children or full fledged, poverty stricken mexicans. You must have some pretty weak palates to have such simple tastes. What was for dinner, kiddies, chef boyardee? Typical spurs fan, you.

RGMCSE
03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Rofl @ all the "grown ups" in this thread who put ketchup on their eggs and mac and cheese. I thought this was reserved for elementary aged school children or full fledged, poverty stricken mexicans. You must have some pretty weak palates to have such simple tastes. What was for dinner, kiddies, chef boyardee? Typical spurs fan, you.

STFU you cheese grit fried catfish eatin for breakfast hillbilly!

Rob

PuttPutt
03-05-2010, 12:49 AM
my friends roomate would dip frito's in ketchup. we'd all sit there stoned saying how gross it was. still have yet to try it.

polandprzem
03-05-2010, 01:26 AM
How weird is t-shirt?

admiralsnackbar
03-05-2010, 01:31 AM

Can Hawks fans even step in this department? Atlanta's amazing contribution to the American plate seems to be the recent realization that bacon does, in fact, taste great.

Thanks for the insight.

polandprzem
03-05-2010, 01:41 AM
roll+tuna+cheese+tomato+ketchup+mayo+mustard

Shaolin-Style
03-05-2010, 03:51 AM
I use it on fish, chicken nuggets, sometimes eggs

SpursStalker
03-05-2010, 08:25 AM

I too use ketchup on my scrambled eggs.

+3

But this post says it all ...

I can do ketchup, but mustard is really all I need.

:D

ManuTP9
03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I prefer ketchup on my steak rather than steak sauce.

Bukefal
03-05-2010, 09:00 AM
In Macedonia they put ketchup and mayonaise on a pizza sometimes.

Dex
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Who the fuck made you the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be "ketchupped" son?! Is there a fuckin ketchup king who bestowed his al-fuckin-mighty powers upon you?! Just who the fuck do you think you are?

C'mon Son!!! Getdafuckouttaherewitdatboolshit!

By the way son, I put ketchup on eggs. Is that shit okay with you?! Damn!

I am the ketchup commander! Remember this fuckin' face, because wherever you see ketchup, you'll see this fuckin' face! I make that shit work!

/Jay and Silent Bob moment

Ewwww. It makes the whole bowl all orange and soupy and....ew. No thanks.

I didn't realize ketchup and scrambled eggs was such a popular thing. I guess if not liking ketchupy eggs makes me the crazy one....well, then I'm crazy.

I do believe this is the first time that I've used the word ketchup as a verb, noun, and adjective. :downspin:

Thunder Dan
03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
i put it on eggs and Mac and cheese

sonic21
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
i hate fish, so i put a lot of ketchup when i have to eat fish.

Dark Gable
03-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I dip my chips in ketchup.

SpursStalker
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I do believe this is the first time that I've used the word ketchup as a verb, noun, and adjective. :downspin:

And the Academy Award goes to ...

:downspin:

mrsmaalox
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Question: Why is Whataburger ketchup so freaking wonderful? Secret ingredient?

smeagol
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
On rice

Ed Lover
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I am the ketchup commander! Remember this fuckin' face, because wherever you see ketchup, you'll see this fuckin' face! I make that shit work!

That was pretty good son, props to ya:tu

CuckingFunt
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Ewwww. It makes the whole bowl all orange and soupy and....ew. No thanks.

Soupy? You're not supposed to add the whole damn bottle.

JudynTX
03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Question: Why is Whataburger ketchup so freaking wonderful? Secret ingredient?

No shit, that's some good stuff. It has a lil sweet taste to it. I used to date someone who used to work for the Whataburger Offices, he would bring me boxes of 'em. :lmao

Rip-Hamilton32
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
i don't put ketchup on weird things but i do love chips on sandwiches

Dex
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
i don't put ketchup on weird things but i do love chips on sandwiches

Sons, that's the bee's knee's!

Blackjack
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
A couple years ago, I would have asked if everything was weird; I've toned it down considerably but I've yet to find anything less than tolerable/decent when I did decided to add ketchup.

mrsmaalox
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
No shit, that's some good stuff. It has a lil sweet taste to it. I used to date someone who used to work for the Whataburger Offices, he would bring me boxes of 'em. :lmao

Now that's a great connection to have :lol Must be LOTS of extra sugar.

angel_luv
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I really like ketchup from McDonalds and Whataburger.

And instead of ketchup on my McDonalds fries, I often use the regular honey from McDonalds. It is a delicious combo!

And while I am praising McDonalds. I love their new Mac snack wrap. I thought nothing could taste better than a Big Mac burger and then some genuis had the idea to wrap it in a tortilla. Genius I tell you!

The Gemini Method
03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
I really like ketchup from McDonalds and Whataburger.

And instead of ketchup on my McDonalds fries, I often use the regular honey from McDonalds. It is a delicious combo!

And while I am praising McDonalds. I love their new Mac snack wrap. I thought nothing could taste better than a Big Mac burger and then some genuis had the idea to wrap it in a tortilla. Genius I tell you!

When I was a kid, I would use the Sweet N' Sour dipping sauce for my fries..

Duff McCartney
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Things I put ketchup on:

Hamburgers
French fries

Nothing else needs ketchup on it. No scrambled eggs with ketchup or hot dogs. None of that crap.

On a side note I usually mix my ketchup with tabasco and pepper and it tastes awesome. It's great for dipping fries into.

Duff McCartney
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Also on this topic, why are fast food restaurants so damn stingy with fucking ketchup? Like Whataburger..I can understand getting ketchup from the packets/little plastic cups whatever they are in the drive thru, but damn they should have a pump dispenser in the dining area. I think everyone has that, Bk, McDs, and Wendys...all except Whataburger.

I don't love their ketchup it tastes the same to me, but I hate having to open all these packets when I'm sitting in the dining area.

The Gemini Method
03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Never been to Whataburger...they don't have those in my neck of the woods...

they have Fatburgers out hea...

oh crap
03-05-2010, 07:24 PM
You're not missing out. Whataburger has been completely overrated in my experience.

The Gemini Method
03-05-2010, 07:28 PM
You're not missing out. Whataburger has been completely overrated in my experience.

Word? Well, they brough Five Guys to the SoCal area and that's pretty good. Still, In N Out is probably my favorite here.

Dex
03-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Also on this topic, why are fast food restaurants so damn stingy with fucking ketchup? Like Whataburger..I can understand getting ketchup from the packets/little plastic cups whatever they are in the drive thru, but damn they should have a pump dispenser in the dining area. I think everyone has that, Bk, McDs, and Wendys...all except Whataburger.

I don't love their ketchup it tastes the same to me, but I hate having to open all these packets when I'm sitting in the dining area.

I guess Whataburger wants to force their Fancy Ketchup on you. Still trying to figure out what makes it so damn fancy.

I like Whataburger, though. It's probably my favorite burger of the fast food chains...although it still ain't no damn In&Out burger.

Oh, and as previously mentioned in this thread:

Ketchup + pepper = tu (I can't eat Wendy's fries without doing this)

Ketchup + tobasco = tu

Dex
03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
I gotta give the :td on the ketchup and gravy, though. :wow