PDA

View Full Version : NL West 2010

symple19
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Here we go. I know there are more Dodger fans than anything else, but this will save me and Holcs and D'back fans from having to post in a Dodger thread all summer.

NL West should be a war, and I'm ready for it to begin.

A few thoughts: Arizona will be much better. I think Jmark is right that if they can stay healthy they'll be in it. Reynolds is a beast, and Haren/Webb is as good of a 1-2 puch as you can get at the top of the rotation

Giants can pitch but not much else. Hitting is, as usual, the question mark going into the season. Kung-Fu Panda may be a superstar in the making.

Dodgers are young and can hit/play defense, and they also have the best manager in baseball (IMO). Agree that pitching will be a concern, but Torre can usually figure out a way around that stuff. How big a year will Manny have???

Colorado proved what they can do last year, and if they get any kind of pitching they'll be a force. Tracy is a helluva manager. Fun team to watch.

San Diego?!?! I have no clue, maybe Holcs can fill us in. Didn't follow their offseason much.

I believe it's possible that 4 teams could have winning records and be in contention, but history says that's tough to do. One team that is supposed to do well will probably fall on its face. Least likely team to do that is LA, and the most likely would be SD (based on last years performance anyway)

IronMexican
03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
My uncle got some tix to the Yanks/Dodgers game. Can't wait.

symple19
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
My uncle got some tix to the Yanks/Dodgers game. Can't wait.

Fuckin sweet. I fully expect you to boo and jeer the evil empire to the best of your ability :toast

What are you thinking about the Dodgers going into the season?

Regarding Dodger pitching...I think they'll make a deal around the deadline if things are shaky.

IronMexican
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't expect much from the Dodgers this season. Billiingsly and Broxton are still mental midgets. Kershaw should be dealing fire this season though. I expect All-star seasons from Kemp and Ethier. And around a .500 record.

symple19
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't expect much from the Dodgers this season. Billiingsly and Broxton are still mental midgets. Kershaw should be dealing fire this season though. I expect All-star seasons from Kemp and Ethier. And around a .500 record.

.500 is what I'm thinking for the Giants as well :lol I'm more of a defeatist when it comes to the Giants than any of my other favorite teams. I find that the season goes better when I set myself up for failure:lol

JMarkJohns
03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Transplanted from the other thread...

The NL West could be a wild ride. Too early to count on anything, but watch out for Arizona as well. In 2007, their young players surprised many by winning the Division and advancing to the NLCS. The next year the team led for like 90% of the season until a late-season lull by a few players caught up to them in wake of the Manny-to-Dodgers trade. Last season they had some solid potential until Brandon Webb and Conor Jackson basically missed the entire season, with Young miserably regressing in the first half, and Drew and Upton missing significant time.

Well, Jackson was raking in Winter ball, and if he can be the 2008 player, he's a HUGE re-addition to the lineup that now features two studs with Upton and Reynolds. Also, if Webb can simply be a solid #2 (and there's nothing to think he won't be), then with the addition of 2009 All-Star Edwin Jackson, the Diamondbacks will have a great 1-3 at the top of the rotation. Lastly, Adam LaRoche, a very good defender and good bat, was signed to take over 1B. He's a career .400 hitter at Chase in a good number of at-bats. Young and Parra are very solid options and with Young no longer needed to be counted on, whatever he gives is a plus.

Rotation
(RHP) Dan Haren
(RHP) Brandon Webb *
(RHP) Edwin Jackson (3.62 ERA, 1.26 WHIP in 2009)
(RHP) Ian Kennedy
(RHP) Billy Buckner (3.93 ERA in six post All-Star (PAS) starts in 2009)

Lineup
1. Conor Jackson (LF/1B) *
2. Stephen Drew (SS) *
3. Justin Upton (RF)
4. Mark Reynolds (3B/1B)
5. Adam LaRoche (1B) (.290, 25 HR, 85 R/RBI in 2009)
6. Miguel Montero (C) (.313, 11 HR, 40 R/RBI in PAS in 2009)
7. Chris Young (CF) (.278, 8 HR, 18 R, 16 RBI after Sept re-call - 28 games)
8. Kelly Johnson (2B)

Bench:
Ryan Roberts (2B/LF)
Tony Abreu (2B/SS)
Augie Ojeda (SS/3B)
Chris Snyder (C)
Gerrardo Parra (CF/LF/RF)

Bullpen
RHP - Leo Rosales (SP)
RHP - Juan Gutierrez (SP/RP)
LHP - Clay Zavada (RP)
RHP - Aaron Heilman (RP)
RHP - Bob Howry (RP)
RHP - Esmerling Vasquez (Set-up)
RHP - Chad Qualls (Closer)

NOTE: * (needs to be closer to 2008 production)

Again, I don't have any delusions of grandeur, but I do think this team, with a return to decent health, has the weapons to make things competitive for the Wild Card in the NL and should be challenging for 90 wins. Biggest concerns are health related, but they'll also need to address their lack of LHP at some point, and make a trade for a LHP SP... If Buckner or Ian Kennedy get off to a good start, I'd like to see one of them swapped for a solid lefty prospect for the back-end of the rotation.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
The Diamondbacks are boom or bust. They'll get steady contributions from Haren, Upton, Reynolds, Montero, Vasquez and Qualls. After that, there are question marks on every player. THAT SAID, the upside is HUGE...

In 2008, Jackson was arguably the team's best offensive player, posting a line of better than .300, 60 XBH, 80 runs, 80 RBI and nearing 20 steals. He's almost an afterthought now. Valley Fever wiped out his season. But, as I said, he flat-out raked in Winterball. Webb is a question mark, but everybody is saying the signs are good for a nice bounce-back season. Since he relied so heavily on his sinker, I don't doubt he can have a significant contribution. With Edwin Jackson, he's a player who just starting to find himself. His upside is very high, and for a #3, he's maybe as good as there is in baseball if he maximizes that potential. Drew and young need bounce-back seasons. Each drastically underachieved last season, but each showed glimpses of finding that stroke at the plate. With LaRoche, will he contribute enough at the beginning of the season to help offset some of the players in need of a bounce-back season offensively? Will his routine second-half surge make up for a lack of first-half production and help carry the team down the stretch? With Kelly Johnson, can he, like so many other Diamondbacks, repeat 2007/2008 seasons-type production, or will his 2009 production define him again?

Like I said, LOTS of question marks. If all of them fail, then this team nets a bottom-5 finish. If half rebound/respond, then I think they have the makings of a wildcard team. If most or all significantly contribute in a timely fashion (not too many/too few at one time but a nice balance), then I think this can be an NLCS team again. Again, I'd say a smart expectation is 90 wins and a WC birth.

symple19
03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Here's how the Giants look, although there are some position battles going into ST, as well as questions on the batting order. This is my best guess

SP: T. Lincecum (cy-young winner and nug smoker:lol)
SP: M. Cain (a corn-fed pimp)
SP: B. Zito (has bitched about dropping to 3rd in the rotation...STFU, really dude)
SP: J. Sanchez (threw a no-no last year)
SP: M. Bumgarner (heralded prospect that saw some time last year)

BP: B. Wilson (Closer)
BP: J. Affeldt (compliments Wilson as the setup guy, very good combo those two are)
BP: S. Romo
BP: B. Medders
BP: J. Martinez
BP: H. Sosa
BP: W. Joaquin
BP: D. Runzler

1st: N. Scheirholtz RF
2nd: F. Sanchez 2B (may start on DL or in tripleA)
3rd: P. Sandoval 3B
4th: A. Huff 1B (FA acquisition)
5th: B. Molina C
6th: M. Derosa LF (FA acquisition)
7th: A. Rowand CF (Needs to step the fuck up, contract year)
8th: E. Renteria SS (either produce or get out of the way for Uribe, who has power but is a liability w/ the glove at short)

Bench: J. Uribe (infield)
Bench: F. Lewis (outfield)
Bench: E. Velez (both in and outfield)
Bench: T. Ishikawa (both in and outfield)
Bench: E. Whiteside (C)
Bench: A. Torres (outfield)
Bench: K. Frandsen (infield)

I know that's too many bench players, but some combination of those guys will end up on the team. Safe bets are Uribe, Velez, Ishikawa, and Whiteside

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I personally think the NL West will be ultra-competitive this year with none of the teams really pulling away from each other like last year. I do think the Rockies will probably be the biggest threat to the Dodgers' supremacy, though I think L.A. still pulls out the division championship. It will be very difficult for the Dodgers to make another run into the NLCS, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Cards/Phillies vs. the Dodgers in the final round prior to the World Series. However, like the past two years, the pitching questions and the tumult surrounding the McCourt's pending divorce will be too much to conseal and if they do reach a 3rd go-round with the Phils or a 2nd go-round with the Cards, they'll lose.

Don't expect much from the Padres...

My projected order of the NL West:

1. Dodgers
2. Rockies
3. Giants
4. Diamondbacks
5. Padres

I don't root for the Dodgers either...my fanship will be kept a secret!

IronMexican
03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Gemini is an Angels fan. gay

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Gemini is an Angels fan. gay

Ahaha! Well, at least the Angels have won something since 1988...I'm actually barely a baseball fan, but I do prefer the Angels to the Dodgers.

symple19
03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I literally had nightmares about that goddamn rally monkey after the SF/LAA series. Fuckin Angels....Heartbroken doesn't begin to describe me after that WS

JMarkJohns
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Diamondbacks as fourth is fair, but I do believe it to be a GROSS underestimation of their ability. As far as thew Dodgers, they aren't winning the division. Thus far, the division is Colorado's to lose. I think the Dodgers and Diamondbacks are actually interchangeable at 3/4 in the preseason rankings. Dodgers have a lot of talent, but I don't think they have the upside any longer. Like I said, I fully expect the Diamondbacks to finish ahead of them now that Manny isn't on the juice.

I could be wrong, but I expect:

Colorado: 90-95 wins
Arizona: 86-91 wins
San Francisco: 84-89 wins
Los Angeles: 82-87 wins
San Diego: 67-72 wins

This is if everything for everything is close to maximized. Again, Arizona is the boom or bust team in the division, however. I fully expect San Diego to challenge for 100 losses, especially if they trade Gonzalez to Boston, as I do expect around July.

The Gemini Method
03-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I literally had nightmares about that goddamn rally monkey after the SF/LAA series. Fuckin Angels....Heartbroken doesn't begin to describe me after that WS

I was actually at the game for game 6 when it was getting pretty nerve-wrecking. I hated the rally monkey, but the kids seemed to like it, so I tolerated it. However, I lost my voice after the Spezio HR...Game 7 I was down the road at the Hooters for the celebration. Fun times...well, for us that is.

symple19
03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Diamondbacks as fourth is fair, but I do believe it to be a GROSS underestimation of their ability. As far as thew Dodgers, they aren't winning the division. Thus far, the division is Colorado's to lose. I think the Dodgers and Diamondbacks are actually interchangeable at 3/4 in the preseason rankings. Dodgers have a lot of talent, but I don't think they have the upside any longer. Like I said, I fully expect the Diamondbacks to finish ahead of them now that Manny isn't on the juice.

I could be wrong, but I expect:

Colorado: 90-95 wins
Arizona: 86-91 wins
San Francisco: 84-89 wins
Los Angeles: 82-87 wins
San Diego: 67-72 wins

This is if everything for everything is close to maximized. Again, Arizona is the boom or bust team in the division, however. I fully expect San Diego to challenge for 100 losses, especially if they trade Gonzalez to Boston, as I do expect around July.

Agree with you on Gonzalez, although who in the hell do they build around then? San Diego seems to be teetering on the edge of becoming the Pirates of the west, IMO.

Have to disagree with you on the Dodgers. They're easily the best defensive team in the division which makes up for the lack of pitching. Also, Torre is a great manager who always seems to get the most from young talent.

I'll call it like this
1.Dodgers
2.Rocks
3.D'backs
4.Giants
5.Padres

My guess is there'll be 3 teams in the hunt, with one additional team falling on their face besides the Pads.

Strongly believe the wild card will be a west team, but the Phils and the Cards are probably still the class of the whole NL

symple19
03-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I was actually at the game for game 6 when it was getting pretty nerve-wrecking. I hated the rally monkey, but the kids seemed to like it, so I tolerated it. However, I lost my voice after the Spezio HR...Game 7 I was down the road at the Hooters for the celebration. Fun times...well, for us that is.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

I was in Korea while in the army, and only got to see games 1,3,6 and 7.

It's a good thing there was no live ammo around after game 6 (j/k, I watched it in a hotel in downtown seoul, and then drank until unconsciousness)

I knew what would happen going into game 7, so by then I was at peace with them losing...

It still hurts very badly, but I take some solace in the fact that it was one of the best WS ever

JMarkJohns
03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I didn't like how the Dodgers were playing down the stretch last year. I know they beat the Cardinals, but I don't think that's indicative of their second-half play. They were barely over .500 and and suffered an under .500 month in August (14-15). Their offensive output dropped over one-half a run in the second half. Also, they feasted upon Arizona early (7-2), but went 4-5 in their last nine vs. Arizona, a team half as talented as this year's.

Perhaps I'm overthinking things, but I watched a lot of the Dodgers down the stretch and deemed them to be slipping. As I said, they've lost the stabilizing force of Hudson, Martin and Manny (hit just .255 post All-Star, and even less post return) are on the downslope of their careers. Billingsly fell apart down the stretch, so, IMO, he's just as big a question mark as Webb, but without the upside of being a Cy Young caliber pitcher.

I think Colorado is a young team with high upside, and think Arizona's upside is higher as well. The Dodgers were a great team, then struggled through a pretty average second half and are basically this same team with as many question marks as any NL West team and not the upside since Kemp and Ethier are nearing their ceilings (they offset Upton/Reynolds, whom each have significant areas they can improve upon). Jackson, Drew, Young, Parra and Montero have more collective upside than Loney and Belliard) and, IMO, LaRoche is > Casey Blake.

I will end by saying that yes, the Dodgers have a better team currently, but I just think there's so much potential with Colorado and Arizona that if even half works out, the pack is jumbled, and if most works out, then the Dodgers slip back a good bit.

symple19
03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice take Jmark, I see where your're coming from. On the surface I agree with most that you said about the Dodgers, but Joe Torre is the trump card in the LA deck. I know I beat this drum a lot, but he is such a good manager and I really think he'll figure things out and keep them moving forward.

I also think the Dodgers will make a move before the deadline for pitching help. This will address one of their glaring weaknesses, and we all know that the McCourts will spend money, despite the ongoing soap opera.

As for Manny, I fully expect him to hit more for average this year. He could be a singles/doubles guy because he's so damn good at making contact (if he wants to). But this guy is always an unknown quantity in regards to his mindset, so he may decide to put it on cruise control for the whole year...Who knows? I expect him to hit .300 but with far less homers per ABs than in years past.

I'm a Giants fan, and thus I hate the Dodgers, so I sure hope you're right in the end.

The Gemini Method
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

I was in Korea while in the army, and only got to see games 1,3,6 and 7.

It's a good thing there was no live ammo around after game 6 (j/k, I watched it in a hotel in downtown seoul, and then drank until unconsciousness)

I knew what would happen going into game 7, so by then I was at peace with them losing...

It still hurts very badly, but I take some solace in the fact that it was one of the best WS ever

Yeah man, it was a great series...

The Angels gave us all heart attacks with their insistance to fall behind and rally. I think they trailed every game in the ALCS vs. Minnesota or something like that. That team really knew how to be clutch when they needed it. Also, to have a rookie closer dominate throughout the playoffs was huge for us, too.

The Gemini Method
03-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice take Jmark, I see where your're coming from. On the surface I agree with most that you said about the Dodgers, but Joe Torre is the trump card in the LA deck. I know I beat this drum a lot, but he is such a good manager and I really think he'll figure things out and keep them moving forward.

I also think the Dodgers will make a move before the deadline for pitching help. This will address one of their glaring weaknesses, and we all know that the McCourts will spend money, despite the ongoing soap opera.

As for Manny, I fully expect him to hit more for average this year. He could be a singles/doubles guy because he's so damn good at making contact (if he wants to). But this guy is always an unknown quantity in regards to his mindset, so he may decide to put it on cruise control for the whole year...Who knows? I expect him to hit .300 but with far less homers per ABs than in years past.

I'm a Giants fan, and thus I hate the Dodgers, so I sure hope you're right in the end.

Dodgers get Greinke...watch! lol

JMarkJohns
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
So... did I hear wrong, or is Wolf no longer a Dodger? If such is the case, that rotation went from strong to fairly average with Kershaw and Billingsly being a talented, but young and, in the case of the latter, inconsistent.

Dodgers lose infield and outfield stability in Hudson and Pierre, then lose their best veteran pitcher in Wolf? hmmm...

ducks
03-06-2010, 04:21 PM
diamondbacks extended upton
now reynolds is trying to get an extension also

symple19
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
diamondbacks extended upton
now reynolds is trying to get an extension also

D-backs should get it done, definitely smart to keep both those guys long term

EricB
03-08-2010, 05:33 PM
The Dodger's rotation is terrible now without Wolf.

The DBack's rotation is 3 deep but then drops WAY off. That being said Webb isn't improving, so most likely its a 2 man rotation.

Giants will be improved, I loved their acquisition of Mark DeRosa, he's gonna be a fantastic clubhouse influence for that team I'm still pissed the Cardinals didn't retain him.

Padres will be improved vastly if they can stay healthy, I liked their young guys at the end of last year and think things will be OK but will be in last again as usual :lol

My prediction, Dodgers take the division on an acquisition at the deadline, the Dodger fans need to pray that the divorce gets done QUICK so the owner can start spending money again. Letting Hudson go in leu of DeWitt and Belliard is horribly bad.

symple19
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Giants will be improved, I loved their acquisition of Mark DeRosa, he's gonna be a fantastic clubhouse influence for that team I'm still pissed the Cardinals didn't retain him.

As A Cards fan who knows him well, what kind of numbers do you think he can put up this year?

Giants clubhouse is already a chill/drama free place, but it's good to know that Derosa won't rock the boat

EricB
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
As A Cards fan who knows him well, what kind of numbers do you think he can put up this year?

Giants clubhouse is already a chill/drama free place, but it's good to know that Derosa won't rock the boat

Full time, hard to say, all depends on how he bounces back from the surgery.

Now San Fran is a pitchers park so I'd estimate 18 to 20 homers 80 to 90 RBIs if healthy with damn good D.

JMarkJohns
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
They explained Webb's comments... He's never had to pitch through discomfort, so it may not mean he's no progressing, but to Webb, not being able to pitch without discomfort isn't progress. He could be effective, and likely will in time. It may come slower than in most cases, but every doctor associated with the case said a full recovery and return to previous levels of pitching ability are expected.

As for Kennedy, he's a huge question mark, but Billy Buckner is a great 5th starter and a solid fourth. Check out his second half numbers once he received starts consistently. Solid. They should have the offense and bullpen to offset a weaker rotation.

symple19
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Full time, hard to say, all depends on how he bounces back from the surgery.

Now San Fran is a pitchers park so I'd estimate 18 to 20 homers 80 to 90 RBIs if healthy with damn good D.

I'll be freakin' elated if he plays that well and puts up those numbers

EricB
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah I'm not good at estimating and have no idea how his wrists doing or whatever.

Be happy with 15 and 75 though...

symple19
03-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah I'm not good at estimating and have no idea how his wrists doing or whatever.

Be happy with 15 and 75 though...

LOL, 15 and 75 on the Giants is 30 and 115 anywhere else

BTW, your Cards should be very good again.

Penny was money for the Giants down the stretch last year, and he hasn't lost much velocity, if any at all. Nice pickup, wish the Giants had tried harder to keep him. May not have mattered anyway, since STL is so close to home for him, and quite frankly a better baseball team

symple19
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Giants got off to a good start, 'The Freak' looked great.

Derosa went deep and Huff had a single to get a nice rally going. Couldn't be happier with the first game.

Wonder if Zito can actually have a good first half of the season this year? We'll see the start of that effort tonight

Also, big ups to John Bowker. Had a big hit yesterday. Maybe he can finally become more than a Quadruple A hitter, great in triple A but unable to make the jump to the bigs.

symple19
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Can't believe the Bucs worked the Dodgers like that yesterday. Rocks and D'backs off to a good start. SD, well, sucks

JMarkJohns
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Jackson needs to produce at a higher level, and LaRoche can't wait until June to start hitting, but Arizona's offense will be in the top half of the NL, if not top-10... I really belive that. They need Webb to get back by June to compete for the playoffs, however.

EricB
04-15-2010, 01:14 AM
LOL, 15 and 75 on the Giants is 30 and 115 anywhere else

BTW, your Cards should be very good again.

Penny was money for the Giants down the stretch last year, and he hasn't lost much velocity, if any at all. Nice pickup, wish the Giants had tried harder to keep him. May not have mattered anyway, since STL is so close to home for him, and quite frankly a better baseball team

Didn't hurt either that he grew up a Cardinals fan haha.

Pitched a fantastic game tonight. 7 innings 0 ER

just awesome.

symple19
04-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Didn't hurt either that he grew up a Cardinals fan haha.

Pitched a fantastic game tonight. 7 innings 0 ER

just awesome.

Cards 1,2, and 3 starters will probably be the only ones to give SF pitchers a run for best staff in the NL.

Sanchez, the Giants 4th starter, struck out 11 while working eight scoreless last night. Huff with an inside the park job. Love this start for the Giants. Dodgers up next.

DJ Mbenga
04-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Ubaldo jimenez throws a no hitter. 6 walks though got some luck with amazing catch

symple19
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Great performance by Jimenez. Props

symple19
04-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Can someone please tell me what the fuck the Padres think they're doing? Damn...

symple19
04-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Giants owned Halladay. Nice

JMarkJohns
04-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I think everything starts to right itself by mid-May. Webb should be back around that time, hopefully the D-Backs bullpen settles into roles or has changes made to it, because its the reason they aren't in 1st place right now.

I predict...
1. Colorado
2. San Francisco
3. Arizona
4. Los Angeles
5. San Diego

ducks
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
dbacks took 2 out of 3 in rockies land

way to go dbacks!

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Quietly, Ubaldo Jimenez is seriously dominating the NL...Well, the no-hitter wasn't exactly under the radar but you know what I mean...

symple19
05-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Quietly, Ubaldo Jimenez is seriously dominating the NL...Well, the no-hitter wasn't exactly under the radar but you know what I mean...

Yes, he is. He's also the early favorite for the Cy Young.

BTW, the Giants first 4 starters are all under 3.00 ERA, including Barry frickin Zito, who is 4-0 with a 1.53 ERA.

The Gemini Method
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The Giants need a better bullpen though...and poor Lincecum getting two straight NDs after having a tremendous day on the mound...

ducks
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
6 and 2/3 of scoreless innings from dbacks bullpen
geez houston sucks

symple19
05-06-2010, 05:41 AM
The Giants need a better bullpen though...and poor Lincecum getting two straight NDs after having a tremendous day on the mound...

Affeldt and Wilson were one of the best setup/closer duos last year, they'll get it going

misterx91578
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
can the dbacks get some bullpen help please

The Gemini Method
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Man, how fairweather are Dodger fans? I was watching the game at a local bar last night and there were a shit ton of empty seats. LOL @ all those mfers that talk a big game but when their team struggles they disappear. Funny Doyer fans...

IronMexican
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Man, how fairweather are Dodger fans? I was watching the game at a local bar last night and there were a shit ton of empty seats. LOL @ all those mfers that talk a big game but when their team struggles they disappear. Funny Doyer fans...

Cool story bro

symple19
05-07-2010, 05:09 AM

There are a lot of fairweather Dodger fans, but I've also met quite a few (some I met at Giants games who drove up from LA) who are as hardcore and knowledgeable as any other fans I've ever met.

San Francisco fans are almost as bad as Dodger fans for not showing up until the 3rd inning or later.

symple19
05-07-2010, 05:12 AM
I hate the Dodgers, but their fans are far from the worst in baseball. Yankees fans (the bandwagoners who seem to pop up wherever you go) and Braves fans are wayyyyyyyyyy worse. Especially Atlanta fans... They always had a hard time selling out playoff games, and they're the most fairweather fans (in any sport) in the country.

Best fans are probably St Louis fans, IMO

JMarkJohns
05-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, I overestimated the Diamondbacks' bullpen by A LOT. That bullpen has easily cost the Dbacks 5 wins, and that's being fair. All told, it's closer to 7/8. I think the Diamondbacks will be selling parts off sooner than later. I think the only keepers are Haren, Upton, Reynolds and Parra at this point. Everyone else is available.

symple19
05-12-2010, 05:32 AM
I think the Diamondbacks will be selling parts off sooner than later. I think the only keepers are Haren, Upton, Reynolds and Parra at this point. Everyone else is available.

wow, strong statement to make this early.

symple19
05-12-2010, 05:34 AM
IMEX! You out there? How are you feeling about the Dodgers?

IronMexican
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
IMEX! You out there? How are you feeling about the Dodgers?

I hardly been keeping up over the past 2 or so weeks with all the draft aftermath and Lakers. But I still catch about 2-3 games a week. Dodgers looking better. Not even close to sold, though.

symple19
05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I hate the Padres...That is all

The Gemini Method
05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I hate the Padres...That is all

We took a party bus with 96 (there were 4 of us non-full blooded Mexicans) die-hard Hispanic Dodger fans to Petco Park in San Diego, CA for the Dodgers vs. Padres game this past Saturday, and I must say--after AT&T park and before Safeco Field, Petco is the nicest stadium I have ever been in. The Padres fans were super cute, too. The Dodgers won that game 4-1 and I proceeded to make a bunch of new Dodger friends.

symple19
05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
We took a party bus with 96 (there were 4 of us non-full blooded Mexicans) die-hard Hispanic Dodger fans to Petco Park in San Diego, CA for the Dodgers vs. Padres game this past Saturday, and I must say--after AT&T park and before Safeco Field, Petco is the nicest stadium I have ever been in. The Padres fans were super cute, too. The Dodgers won that game 4-1 and I proceeded to make a bunch of new Dodger friends.

Not surprised that there is an abundance of hotties in SD.

Never been to Petco, but it looks nice on the tube. The team that plays in that stadium needs to start acting like the basement dwellers they were meant to be.

symple19
05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Giants are slumping. D'Backs are whooping that ass. 5th inning was terrible for Lincy last night...ugh

The Gemini Method
05-28-2010, 12:50 PM
How many games does Ubaldo Jimenez aka The Ubaldo Experience win this year? (9-1) so far...

ducks
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
his only lost was he gave up a run and lost

symple19
05-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Buster Posey has fuckin arrived, bout time they called him up. Kid is gonna be a good one

symple19
05-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Dodgers have gotten it going and the Giants have pulled out of their slump. San Diego keeps plugging along and the Rocks are within striking distance...Is the NL west the best division in the NL, or even possibly the best in baseball?

JMarkJohns
05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
If Arizona would get their shit together and play up to their talent level, maybe.

ducks
05-30-2010, 11:31 PM
the bullpen has blown 12 saves

their pitchers have given up 86 homeruns
average is 43

bullpen average before today was 7.65 tigers record for season was 6.0

when is the pitching coach going to get fired

bullpen has always been a problem the last 2 years

ducks
05-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Buster Posey has fuckin arrived, bout time they called him up. Kid is gonna be a good one
he is good
mark guarded the line took a hit away after he burned him earlier

I would not get your hopes up to well
he faced dbacks pitchers:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

vander
05-31-2010, 01:08 AM
so ducks is a Charger fan but not a Pad fan? how pathetic...

ducks
05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
never rooted for a az team except I live in wyoming and liked the expansion teams rockies and dbacks

always like the chargers could not stand the overrated elway and denver

ducks
05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
How many games does Ubaldo Jimenez aka The Ubaldo Experience win this year? (9-1) so far...

he is going to join great company with double digit wins in may

webb randy johnson

oh he lost giving up one run :lol

IronMexican
06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
What a choke yesterday by AZ.

The Gemini Method
06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Ubaldo is now 10-1...could we see a 25-game winner this year?

JMarkJohns
06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Hahaha... Diamondbacks, who can't pitch, trade for a player who can't pitch as a solution for their inability to pitch!

Dontrelle Willis and his 14 walks in 14 innings is not a Diamondback for Billy Butler.

Goran Dragic
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I thought the Diamondbacks would be decent this year but god damn what the hell has happened to this team since it made the NLCS a few years ago.

ducks
06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
3 choke jobs against the dodgers
dodgers are 18-5 against their division

IronMexican
06-06-2010, 12:17 AM
God damnit.

JMarkJohns
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought the Diamondbacks would be decent this year but god damn what the hell has happened to this team since it made the NLCS a few years ago.

Turns out that season was a fluke. A remember plenty of talks that "their wins couldn't last" because they had a negative run differential for the season. When they made the playoffs despite such and with such a young offensive core, most figured they were prime for BIG things. The Front Office agreed, trading several good and one great prospect for Haren, re-signed vital cog Byrnes and it seemed to work for 3 months that next season. Then Young and the other "prospects" fell of the face of the earth and so did the Diamondbacks. Injuries to Byrnes and Webb have certainly hurt, as have illness to Jackson, but Arizona once had a bullpen that was the envy of the league with Cruz, Slaten, Meaders, Lyon and Valverde. They were absolutely dominant. Not sure how that completely escaped them, but their bullpen is arguably the worst in the bigs, and maybe in franchise history.

Goran Dragic
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
From what I've seen this season their bullpen isn't arguably the worst, it is the worst by far.

LOL@MavsFan
06-06-2010, 07:42 PM
From what I've seen this season their bullpen isn't arguably the worst, it is the worst by far.

LOL alter egos:downspin:
LOL jewboys:lol

JMarkJohns
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM

You can easily make the case. I just haven't seen enough of the other teams. Worst Arizona bullpen I've ever seen, no doubt. And 2004 was terrible.

ducks
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
so june dbacks play all teams above 59% winning %
what will their record be like after this month

RedsLakers24
06-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Going to the Dodger game on Monday, hope they beat the cardinals

midnightpulp
06-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Dodgers are rolling! 1st place.

EricB
06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Dodgers fans are shit. Period.

JMarkJohns
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd say it's unbelievable, but if anyone has been paying attention, its not.

Qualls/Vasquez combine to blow 3-run save vs. Cardinals, as D-backs starter Edwin Jackson gets a no-decision after out-dueling Chris Carpenter.

Similar to www.thisiswhyyouarefat.com, some Diamondbacks fan needs to start a website called... www.thisiswhywesuck.com that features the images of the Diamondbacks bullpen.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
lol Chad Qualls, 8.46 era and the D-Bags are doing nothing to address the situation.

Sarver takes tons of shit for not being able to "live up to Colangelo's legacy (lol calling Colangelo's ownership period of the Suns a legacy)", Ken Kendrick is the real moron who bought a team from Colangelo. Who the fuck gives an 8 year extension to a GM because of 1 good season?

JMarkJohns
06-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Kendrick didn't even buy the team. He staged a coup and overthrew Colangelo's majority ownership based upon the team's deferred payments/debt.

And yes, He let Rizzo get away (you know, the guy who drafted Zimmerman, Strasburg and Harper after leaving), extended the wrong people too quickly, has hired the wrong replacements and, overall, has contributed to a team that has delusions of competing now, has drafted for immediate impact rather than future potential, and thus has very little future at all. Haren and Upton are the only two players worth a damn, and, honestly, I'm not as enamored with either anymore.

EricB
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
As a Cardinal fan I'll take Dan Haren.

JMarkJohns
06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
As a Cardinal fan I'll take Dan Haren.

What prospects you got? Where do they rank? We need at least one top-notch pitching prospect, probably a second, and a good 2B or 3B prospect. The star of the package obviously would need to be a pitcher, but the Diamondbacks gave up Brett Anderson and Carlos Gonzalez to get Haren. Not to mention, they effectively traded Carlos Quentin for Haren, since they traded the only asset received for Quentin as part of the Haren deal.

Damn, the Diamondbacks suck at trades. Even the ones that have worked out well have cost them.

ducks
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
twins are looking at chad qualls

LOL
qualls has sucked really bad this month

ducks
06-13-2010, 11:18 PM
upton is in a slumb
but I think most if it is he is trying to do to much at each at bat
he knows the bullpen sucks

haren the last 3 starts now seem he is back

ducks
06-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I'd say it's unbelievable, but if anyone has been paying attention, its not.

Qualls/Vasquez combine to blow 3-run save vs. Cardinals, as D-backs starter Edwin Jackson gets a no-decision after out-dueling Chris Carpenter.

Similar to www.thisiswhyyouarefat.com, some Diamondbacks fan needs to start a website called... www.thisiswhywesuck.com that features the images of the Diamondbacks bullpen.

I blame qualls not vasquez
yes it was his wildpitch
but qualls has sucked this whole month

qualls is not a closer they need to let A. Heilman close

ducks
06-13-2010, 11:25 PM
young is alteast having a much better year

mark and upton need to play more like last year except for the strikeouts

ducks
06-14-2010, 07:49 PM
young told upton yesterday (day off)
he felt terrible at the plate
asked him to look at video
he did said he was lunging
young then hit two home runs!

ducks
06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
And Young added a third run in the fourth with a solo blast, his third this month.

"I was talking to Justin [Upton] in the first inning, and I felt terrible," Young recalled of facing Cardinals' starter Chris Carpenter. "He went into the video room, looked up something for me, and I tried to make an adjustment as the game went on."

JMarkJohns
06-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Diamondbacks make first significant trade from their "core", sending Conor Jackson, a former .300 hitter and 1st-round selection, to Oakland for some minor league relief pitcher.

Sold low. Typical. They sold low on Carlos Quentin. They sold low on Scherzer.

symple19
06-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Diamondbacks make first significant trade from their "core", sending Conor Jackson, a former .300 hitter and 1st-round selection, to Oakland for some minor league relief pitcher.

Sold low. Typical. They sold low on Carlos Quentin. They sold low on Scherzer.

Oakland (and Billy Beane) wouldn't bite unless they thought they were getting a bargain.

My condolences.

ducks
06-20-2010, 07:03 PM
co jack goe 5-12 the first 4 games for them

oh and aj now is afraid to use his bullpen
his starters are already getting tired their era;s the last inning they work is 3 times what is end

oh and why trade cojack if you do not play the player they got for him
he pitched great the one inning they put him in

ducks
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
so far the co jack trade looks great

The Gemini Method
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
lol Dodger 0-5 against the Angels...

TheMACHINE
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
im going to the angels game today...hope i dont go to the only angels loss against the dodgers. hahah

lol dodgers

ducks
07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Josh Byrnes and A.J. Hinch Fired!
now lets kick ass

misterx91578
07-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Josh Byrnes and A.J. Hinch Fired!
now lets kick ass

yep it was all their fault :rolleyes

ducks
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
hinch cost them atleast 10 wins with his stupid moves or lack of moves

misterx91578
07-02-2010, 01:19 AM
hinch cost them atleast 10 wins with his stupid moves or lack of moves

like leaving the starter in to long what he supposed to do use the horrible bullpen?

EricB
07-02-2010, 02:02 AM
:lol @ firing one of the better GMs in the game.

The Diamondbacks are pathetic.

Edward
07-02-2010, 04:13 AM
:lol @ firing one of the better GMs in the game.

The Diamondbacks are pathetic.

:lmao you fuckin dumbass. Josh Byrnes has nothing to show other than 1 good season, he's far from one of the better GMs in the game. One of his main examples is giving AJ hinch the job as manager when Melvin shoulda never been canned.

JMarkJohns
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Byrnes deals show he's far from one of the best GMs in the game. His 1st-round drafts have been very average, if not subpar, he's made it a habit of buying high and trading low, and his dumbass mentality towards baseball is that the bullpen is the least important slots in the team, which would explain this years atrocious bullpen.

He bought high on Young after a great rookie year, signing him to a ridiculous extension and two years later, and after a demotion to Triple-A, Young is only just starting to "earn" his money. He bought high on Byrnes, giving him 10-per over 3 years when nobody else was likely to offer a player over 30 with a wildly inconsistent track record anything close to that. He bought high on Reynolds, who is now returning to his whiffing ways and is ridiculously overpaid for his current production. He bought high on Edwin Jackson, giving up a very good pitching prospect in return, one who's infinitely cheaper and such for longer.

He sold low on Carlos Quentin, netting a 3rd-tier prospect for a player who went on to be an MVP candidate that next season after finally getting healthy. He sold low on Micah Owings, basically giving him away for a two month rental in Dunn, then sold low on Dunn by not offering the Class-A free agent arbitration which essentially meant he gave Owings away for free. He sold low on Conor Jackson. If he trades anyone else, he'll also be selling low.

two of his last four 1sts have been "safe" picks, with Schlereth being drafted for instant bullpen relief (then hardly given the opportunity before being included in the Jackson trade - another sell low instance) and their recent 1st, a top-10 selection of a player who's guaranteed to make an MLB roster, but who was mocked as a 2nd/3rd-round talent and who's projected at becoming a 4th starter most likely. Nice to waste a top-10 pick on a 4th starter.

Plus, he was the dumbass who hired the no-experience Hinch.

tsb2000
07-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I've got some good vibes about Gibby taking over. At least he will break his foot off in Upton's ass the next time he decides not to hustle (and you all thought it was just his brother who was lazy). :)

If the DBacks could get a middle reliever and a halfway decent closer not named Qualls, they would actually be a decent team. How many games have been lost because the bullpen blew it? A shitload of them, I believe is the scientific term.

JMarkJohns
07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
ESPN Radio in Phoenix did a breakdown a week ago. Had the Diamondbacks held on to just MLB average for save conversions or relief conversions, they'd have been just 2 games out of first, when opponents were factored in.

Crazy. For as shitty as they have played, it's literally been almost entirely on the bullpen.

ducks
07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Hired on May 8, 2009 to replace Bob Melvin, Hinch amassed an 89-123 record with the D'Backs in his first stint as a major league manager. We heard a few weeks ago that Byrnes was "fighting hard" to save Hinch's job, and Fanhouse.com's Ed Price reports (via Twitter) that Byrnes was fired for refusing a demand from upper management to make a managerial change.

misterx91578
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The thing about firing Byrnes is, you can point to a half-dozen moves that didn’t work out, point to the win-loss record, and you have your justification for the decision. But I don’t think that’s why he got fired. I think it came down to the fact that his relationship with President/CEO Derrick Hall had become entirely unmanageable.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/Blog/NickPiecoro/

ducks
07-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Tigers Interested In Stephen Drew
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 5, 2010 at 1:12pm CST]

The Tigers are looking for middle infield help and are interested in Stephen Drew, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The Tigers could use a shortstop and Drew is one of the many Diamondbacks interim GM Jerry Dipoto will consider dealing before July 31st.

Drew, who won’t hit free agency until after 2012, makes $3.4MM this year. The 27-year-old is hitting .268/.336/.409 and appears to be an above-average defender. Drew has made just four errors this year and UZR/150 suggests he defends better than most shortstops.

However, Drew has missed time with a sore left knee, so the Tigers would likely need to be assured that the shortstop is healthy before making the D’Backs a compelling offer. Since Adam Everett's release, Ramon Santiago and Danny Worth have been playing short for the Tigers, who are tied for first place with the Twins.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/tigers-interested-in-stephen-drew.html

JMarkJohns
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Trading him makes sense. They need a solid pitching prospect in return in whatever the package is. Not anything more than a sure fire bullpen arm, but they need to buildup their corps in whatever deals come from this reboot.

They need a solid INF prospect and a solid RP prospect.

Same goes for any deals for Reynolds/LaRoche/Johnson.

ducks
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I would rather trade laroche

allen is in tripple a
drew has 4 errors all year

tigers do not have much prospects though

if they get drew they have to take snyder

ducks
07-12-2010, 02:44 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com...

"Barret Loux, Arizona's first-round pick in this year's draft, has failed his physical exam, reports ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter). Loux, a right-hander out of Texas A&M, was selected sixth overall by the Diamondbacks last month."

The article goes on to state that Loux was the 1st pick in the draft that Baseball America didn't like - that he never should have been drafted that high.

Just another tid-bit to add to the Josh Burns legacy...

symple19
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Giants surging while the Dodgers slump. This has certainly been a see-saw contest in the NL West this year

IronMexican
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Dodgers are done.

symple19
07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Dodgers are done.

Not sure about that dude, the Giants looked to be done a couple weeks ago and are now on a roll (which I don't expect to last)

My guess is that the Dodgers have another run left in them.

It's scary that the Pads have been the steadiest team in the west this year

ducks
07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
rockies are skidding to

JMarkJohns
08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com...

"Barret Loux, Arizona's first-round pick in this year's draft, has failed his physical exam, reports ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter). Loux, a right-hander out of Texas A&M, was selected sixth overall by the Diamondbacks last month."

The article goes on to state that Loux was the 1st pick in the draft that Baseball America didn't like - that he never should have been drafted that high.

Just another tid-bit to add to the Josh Burns legacy...

According to Yahoo.com (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Au09Pva_U4zotdTLw2VVBQ4RvLYF?slug=jp-louxdiamondbacks080310), this physical failure may be a HUGE gift to Arizona. Apparently, they stand to get a "do over" pick, essentially acquiring the #7 pick in the 2011 draft in addition to their likely top-3 pick from sucking so much this year.

That's a HUGE turn of events, since Loux was a terrible selection in a terrible draft, and this next year's draft is loaded. There's 10 legitimate star prospects, any two of whom will significantly improve the level of talent in the D-Backs farm system.

It's shocking this could happen, and sucks for Loux, but some say his family wasn't entirely forthcoming of all of his medical records, so until the team got to run their own, they had to rely on whatever medical information they put out. Once the MRI returned that he has a torn labrum and a is a candidate for Tommy John's, his agreed upon contract was rescinded, and Loux was blackballed.

midnightpulp
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Dodgers are done.

:depressed

ducks
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
According to Yahoo.com (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Au09Pva_U4zotdTLw2VVBQ4RvLYF?slug=jp-louxdiamondbacks080310), this physical failure may be a HUGE gift to Arizona. Apparently, they stand to get a "do over" pick, essentially acquiring the #7 pick in the 2011 draft in addition to their likely top-3 pick from sucking so much this year.

That's a HUGE turn of events, since Loux was a terrible selection in a terrible draft, and this next year's draft is loaded. There's 10 legitimate star prospects, any two of whom will significantly improve the level of talent in the D-Backs farm system.

It's shocking this could happen, and sucks for Loux, but some say his family wasn't entirely forthcoming of all of his medical records, so until the team got to run their own, they had to rely on whatever medical information they put out. Once the MRI returned that he has a torn labrum and a is a candidate for Tommy John's, his agreed upon contract was rescinded, and Loux was blackballed.
yes saw that

can you believe mark strikes out 41.8 percent of the time and league average is 19% and howard is down to 21%

symple19
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Let's go Giants!!! HUGE series this weekend. Death to the Padres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burrell has been massive.

Despite my hatred for the Pads, I give them mad props for the season they've had

symple19
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Giants in first! Giants in first!! thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the Giantssssssss arrrrrrre in firsssssssssssssssssst!

until they lose 5 straight and choke the division and wild card away...............

symple19
10-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow, Giants actually got it done

Lincecum to start game one against the fucking braves... Can't believe it's real...

JMarkJohns
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I look like a schmuck. Whatever. I said the Dodgers would finish fourth, and they did. I said Colorado and San Francisco would be very competitive, and they were. I said the Diamondbacks had significant boom-or-bust potential and their bullpen busted whatever potential boom they had (find the post in here talking about how they'd have been like a game out had their bullpen been even just league average in converted holds and saves).

Grossly underestimated the quality of the Padres pitching vs. ineptitude of the offense and assumed too much health for the Rockies, who seemingly always suffer through injuries, so I should just stop assuming health for Tulo and others.

JMarkJohns
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
They explained Webb's comments... He's never had to pitch through discomfort, so it may not mean he's no progressing, but to Webb, not being able to pitch without discomfort isn't progress. He could be effective, and likely will in time. It may come slower than in most cases, but every doctor associated with the case said a full recovery and return to previous levels of pitching ability are expected.

As for Kennedy, he's a huge question mark, but Billy Buckner is a great 5th starter and a solid fourth. Check out his second half numbers once he received starts consistently. Solid. They should have the offense and bullpen to offset a weaker rotation.

Fuck. You. Webb. Don't let the door hit you on your mentally-weak, lazy ass. Some reports had you barely even trying. Way to steal 18 million for nothing the last two years. You were a potential HOF caliber pitcher with a Cy Young, two runner-ups and a 3rd-place finish, and you couldn't handle the recovery process.

ducks
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
gibson stays
towers dismisses everyone coach but 2
intern gm stats with the team

dbacks will atleast be .500 next year if not better

JMarkJohns
10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
gibson stays
towers dismisses everyone coach but 2
intern gm stats with the team

dbacks will atleast be .500 next year if not better

Which is dumb. Team needs to overhaul their roster. Identify two or three position players and three or four pitchers to keep, then try to trade players while their value is high now (like Kelly Johnson, Montero, Young) or during the season (like maybe Reynolds, Parra, Saunders).

IMO, the only keepers are Hudson, Enright, Kennedy and Drew and Upton. Even the latter two can be had for a "blown away" type of package. They need to build from the ground up, using this draft (two top-7 picks in a high talent draft) and some trades to do things the right way. They were close four years ago, then got impatient. Had they not been so impatient, players like Brett Anderson, Carlos Gonzales, Carlos Quentin might still be Diamondbacks. Each player named is a better player right now than the players currently manning the position.

No more big money deals for the next two years, sell high on veterans limited-ceiling prospects and regroup/rebuild through the draft and acquisition of prospects through trades. In two years, then try some FAs and trades when you know what you've got.

ducks
10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
mark is gone

he did not look comfortable trying to bat the way gibson wanted and gibpson said they had thought about it then charged their mind right before he trade deadline

ducks
10-07-2010, 10:48 PM
JMarkJohns you think they should spend big money on a closer?

they are talking about get a true ace and a closer

do you know how j parker is doing?
He is suppose to be a "ace also"
I agree with you on the 5 players but I would keep young also
he just covers so much ground and hope this year was not a fluke
upton and young a buds also

JMarkJohns
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
JMarkJohns you think they should spend big money on a closer?

they are talking about get a true ace and a closer

do you know how j parker is doing?
He is suppose to be a "ace also"
I agree with you on the 5 players but I would keep young also
he just covers so much ground and hope this year was not a fluke
upton and young a buds also

They have like 25 million coming off the books, so they can afford a less-expensive front-line ace (which, if they acquire, really makes me wonder why they traded Haren, since he was perfect and didn't get a whole lot for him).

However, I don't think they should spend HUGE money on a closer. they should focus on rebuilding their pen for around 10 million if they are thinking of competing soon. However, I think this is stupid, because as of now the Diamondbacks have the only top-3 in the West potential, what with the Rockies and Giants having better staffs each, and the Rockies having a better offense.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
As for Parker, he's a talent, with B+ stuff and A- command, so he can be a good #1 or a great #2, assuming he responds well to the TJ surgery.

I wouldn't mind if the Diamondbacks went after a young front-line pitcher then some young bullpen prospects, but they shouldn't spend a bunch of money until they are really in line to compete and know exactly where it needs to go.

As for Reynolds, it would be stupid to trade him now. He's at his lowest value of his career and just signed big money deal. They need to keep him, play him and hope his awesome power returns, or, that he can get his average up to the .250+ range with good power and RBI production for the first half, then trade him.