PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson and his E.T.O.

SpurNation
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I noticed that Jefferson has an Early Termination Option (ETO) in 2010. How could that possibly play out for him if he exercises that option this summer?

If I am interpreting this correctly...Would it mean he could list himself as an unrestricted FA this summer seeing if he could garnish a longer contract for not necessarily more than he is making now but provide him more in the long term prior to a new cba?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
He would never ever ever ever terminate that contract because no team in hell is gonna give him the amount of money he is set to make next season.

We're stuck with him but thankfully he's an expiring contract next season

tmtcsc
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I noticed that Jefferson has an Early Termination Option (ETO) in 2010. How could that possibly play out for him if he exercises that option this summer?

If I am interpreting this correctly...Would it mean he could list himself as an unrestricted FA this summer seeing if he could garnish a longer contract for not necessarily more than he is making now but provide him more in the long term prior to a new cba?

I'm not sure how that would play out but I am almost certain that there is no way in hell he would opt to terminate his option early.. With the looming lockout coming, his inflated salary and sub-par year, he would be nuts to walk away from his Umpteen Million next year. No one will pay that to him.

benefactor
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
There's no need to speculate. He is not opting out.

rayray2k8
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
He does have a player option that he can pick up next season, so I'm not sure why he would turn down the money that he will be receiving.
If he can continue to slash to the rim the way he's been playing lately and actually excels his play in the post season, spurs fans might reconsider.
I on the other hand will remain doubtful of dick. The guy usually chokes in the playoffs.
Look at 2003's finals.

SpurNation
03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I would agree about not turning down 15mil next season if I thought I could get a new contract after that for a comparable salary after the new cba is in effect.

But say a team wanted RJ for what they think he might help their team with in both his abilities and in how they think he would work in their system. And in the long run he would garnish more than his 15mil next season over the course of the next 3 to 4 in a new contract. One that won't be affected by a new cba and possibly get him more in the long run than after a new cba is established.

Is the only way his agent could talk to other teams about that scenario is if he exercises his ETO prior to his agent talking to other teams?

Libri
03-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I posted a similar question a while back. I now believe that there is no way to convince RJ to opt out.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Amen.

And much for the same reasons Amare Stoudamire elected not to do so. He knows that it's extremely unlikely another team would pony up that amount of cash. That's a risk no player is willing to take.

The economic restrictions and downturn that affects all of us, also affect the NBA landscape and its players. Almost every team is looking at how to save money, optimize revenue and cut back expenses.

silverblackfan
03-04-2010, 02:16 PM
He does have a player option that he can pick up next season, so I'm not sure why he would turn down the money that he will be receiving.
If he can continue to slash to the rim the way he's been playing lately and actually excels his play in the post season, spurs fans might reconsider.
I on the other hand will remain doubtful of dick. The guy usually chokes in the playoffs.
Look at 2003's finals.

Not too worried about him choking in the playoffs. We have 3 proven guys to handle the heavy lifting, if they are healthy, which is just fine. Also Hill might be a good option also. Not as much pressure on RJ to be the man. He just has to play hard.

DaBears
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
You know maybe Manu is right...... Maybe we have expected to much too soon from this guy.... Its not his fault that POP has for most of the season playing him at the PF position.. Maybe its not his fault for the coach not recognizing his players strenghts and weaknesses, maybe its not his fault that the coach cant coach.... Sure some is on him, but comeone i think its Coaching more than anything..

POP has seemed to jack up everyones rythum on this team, now you have players asking to be let go, wanting to be traded... Even Money Mas whom was on fire most of the season can hit a consistant shot to save his life... Bonner is a hopeless cause,
Sure we got rid of a Senior citizen in Count Fin but even he asked to be let go.....

All this points in one direction............ BAD BAD malo COACHING...

I for one am not going to rag on JR anymore, he does seem to be playing a more inspired all around game in the last couple of weeks... OHOH thats right cuase he is playing his natrual position, funny how things happen like that......

GO SPURS GO

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
The only early termination is the Spurs' championship hopes.

exstatic
03-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I would agree about not turning down 15mil next season if I thought I could get a new contract after that for a comparable salary after the new cba is in effect.

But say a team wanted RJ for what they think he might help their team with in both his abilities and in how they think he would work in their system. And in the long run he would garnish more than his 15mil next season over the course of the next 3 to 4 in a new contract. One that won't be affected by a new cba and possibly get him more in the long run than after a new cba is established.

Is the only way his agent could talk to other teams about that scenario is if he exercises his ETO prior to his agent talking to other teams?

Legally? Yes, he can only talk to other teams after opting out.

I doubt he could garner a contract for 3 years that would cover his next years money. He's staying put.

In a way, the RJ trade was bad for both parties. If he had stayed in Milwaukee and been their scorer, he WOULD have been able to opt out this summer and cash in on the 2010 FA bonanza.

Grundle
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
He would never ever ever ever terminate that contract because no team in hell is gonna give him the amount of money he is set to make next season.

We're stuck with him but thankfully he's an expiring contract next season

What if we asked him nicely?

exstatic
03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Amen.

And much for the same reasons Amare Stoudamire elected not to do so. He knows that it's extremely unlikely another team would pony up that amount of cash. That's a risk no player is willing to take.

The economic restrictions and downturn that affects all of us, also affect the NBA landscape and its players. Almost every team is looking at how to save money, optimize revenue and cut back expenses.

Uh, Einstein...Amare is GOING to opt out. His situation is WAY different than RJ's. He's actually being productive, and is a big man who can walk, chew gum, and score. He'll get a nice contract from some team too stupid to realize that all he can do is score, and that he needs Nash to set him up. There are a number of teams that stupid around the league.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Uh, Einstein...Amare is GOING to opt out. His situation is WAY different than RJ's. He's actually being productive, and is a big man who can walk, chew gum, and score. He'll get a nice contract from some team too stupid to realize that all he can do is score, and that he needs Nash to set him up. There are a number of teams that stupid around the league.

Uh, no he's not Confucius. If you think some other team is going to pay Amare 17mil if he opts out, you're off your rocker. Sure, he'll get a nice contract, but no team is going to pay him along the lines of a LeBron or Wade.

TimmehC
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM

I hear Mike Dan Tony has a lot of cap space.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I hear Mike Dan Tony has a lot of cap space.

The Knicks will have plenty of cap space available because LeBron will be staying in Cleveland. With regard to Amare as a possible target for Dan Tony (D'Antoni), there's just one minor problem - those two were not exactly on the best of terms when the coach left the desert. Apparently, Amare kicked some verbal dirt his direction, as he headed out of town. Unless something has changed or unless Donnie Walsh overrules the coach, that possible reunion may not happen.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Richard is not going anywhere...

vander
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
couldn't he be bribed or blackmailed? :eyebrows

pjjrfan
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure he is not that stupid.

exstatic
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Uh, no he's not Confucius. If you think some other team is going to pay Amare 17mil if he opts out, you're off your rocker. Sure, he'll get a nice contract, but no team is going to pay him along the lines of a LeBron or Wade.

With the owners saying that a MAX deal will be $8M under the new CBA, you can bet the fucking farm that Amare opts out. He may not make $17M, but if he gets $12M per, for 5 years, he's WAY ahead of playing it out and trying to get a contract after 2011.

TimmehC
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
The Knicks will have plenty of cap space available because LeBron will be staying in Cleveland. With regard to Amare as a possible target for Dan Tony (D'Antoni), there's just one minor problem - those two were not exactly on the best of terms when the coach left the desert. Apparently, Amare kicked some verbal dirt his direction, as he headed out of town. Unless something has changed or unless Donnie Walsh overrules the coach, that possible reunion may not happen.

Huh, I hadn't heard that, and I live in Phoenix. Shows how much I pay attention to the "home" team. :sleep Obviously, it doesn't sound like Pringles is going to give Donnie Walsh a ringing endorsement of Amar'e and his ridiculous apostrophe.

DMX7
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
NO fucking WAY he opts out of 15 million dollars. He'll earn 7 or 8 per year if he does.

alchemist
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
couldn't he be bribed or blackmailed? :eyebrows
you'll do the "dirty" work? :lol

exstatic
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
NO fucking WAY he opts out of 15 million dollars. He'll earn 7 or 8 per year if he does.

You don't understand how overpaid NBA big men always are, and how many teams will be left at the altar this summer, do you? He'll make bank. Eight figures per year.

vander
03-05-2010, 02:22 AM
you'll do the "dirty" work? :lol

if there's something in it for me :greedy Spurs FO can PM me :greedy
:lol

DMX7
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM
You don't understand how overpaid NBA big men always are, and how many teams will be left at the altar this summer, do you? He'll make bank. Eight figures per year.

He's an undersized guard-forward, not a "big man".

admiralsnackbar
03-05-2010, 03:03 AM

I think he may have been talking about Amare.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2010, 03:56 AM
this is what i see players doing....they will get the lower salary in the new CBA, but will get extra base on performances....

exstatic
03-05-2010, 08:14 AM

I think he may have been talking about Amare.

That. The two posts above the one of yours I responded to were about Amare. That's where I thought the conversation was going.

1. Amare is definitely opting out
2. RJ is definitely NOT opting out.

urunobili
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Let's get real... If RJ suddenly becomes a deadly weapon and leads the Spurs tot he Finals he could get a hefty contract long term by opting out... having said that.. the chances that that happens are around 0.5%...

Agloco
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Dicky J makes 15 million next year. If the owners have their way, a premium contract will be in the 8 million dollar range (the Bryants, Jameses and Wades of the world would make this) and it would go down from there.

Now ask yourself: What would Dick make in this new world? 3.5, perhaps 4.5 million if some team was really hard up?

Given the state of things in the NBA now, I don't see him getting much more than that now, even he does opt out.

Not a chance that he walks on his last year. Its nice to dream though.

BadOne
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
if there's something in it for me :greedy Spurs FO can PM me :greedy

They'll give you a black AMEX for 1 night, just like RJ did his ex! :lol

SpurNation
03-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Dicky J makes 15 million next year. If the owners have their way, a premium contract will be in the 8 million dollar range (the Bryants, Jameses and Wades of the world would make this) and it would go down from there.

Now ask yourself: What would Dick make in this new world? 3.5, perhaps 4.5 million if some team was really hard up?

Given the state of things in the NBA now, I don't see him getting much more than that now, even he does opt out.

Not a chance that he walks on his last year. Its nice to dream though.

Not sure when the "new" world is going to start. But I'm almost positive that player's contracts that are going to end right before the "new" world order takes control, there will be several looking to vye for a "new" contract that would put them somewhere between the "old" scale and "new" scale before the "new" scale prohibits them from doing that.

And granted...the only way RJ would get that opportuity is if he did miraculously carry the Spurs through the playoffs. And maybe not even that... but prove to be worth having on your team as a viable component to winning.

Agloco
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Not sure when the "new" world is going to start. But I'm almost positive that player's contracts that are going to end right before the "new" world order takes control, there will be several looking to vye for a "new" contract that would put them somewhere between the "old" scale and "new" scale before the "new" scale prohibits them from doing that.

And granted...the only way RJ would get that opportuity is if he did miraculously carry the Spurs through the playoffs. And maybe not even that... but prove to be worth having on your team as a viable component to winning.

Sure, I get that. My only point was to say that Dicky J really isn't in a position to demand 8-10 per from anyone anymore. I'm sure if he saw that as a possiblity, he would pobably walk in hopes of making up the difference over time on his new contract. As extatic stated earlier in this thread, the RJ trade screwed both sides to a certain degree.

That's a big part of the rub though: unknowns. When will the lockout end? (and yes, theres going to be a lockout of the owners continue to insist on 8 million dollar max contracts.....). What will be the limit on contract length? Are players going to be more bonus driven (as a result of contract structure) in the future?

There are so many unknowns that I didn't even list. For a player like Dicky, I don't think rolling the dice is a smart play at this juncture. For Amare? Sure it makes more sense as he can still fetch something around 12 million per starting next year. Very few players are in this boat however.

DDS4
03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
$15 million a year for 12 points per game? Sign me up.