PDA

View Full Version : Another Earthquake - 6.5 magnitude in Taiwan

MiamiHeat
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/kindness/post/2010/03/taiwan-64-earthquake-rattles-but-does-not-devastate/1

As the world witnesses yet another major seismic event within the past two months, John Eagle over at Gather.com poses an interesting question: "Are quakes on the rise, or are we just paying more attention?"

Doomsday scenarios aside, this morning's 6.4 Taiwan quake does, indeed, emphasis just how connected our world these days. Thanks to Facebook, Twitter, and the like, we are able to get a front row seat to events that may previously not have gotten as much attention.

And not only do we get what is comparable to an eye-witness account to these shocking disasters, we can also quickly learn how to help as we did with Haiti, this past weekend with Chile, and now with Taiwan -- if needed.

Luckily, reports out from earthquake-prone Taiwan describe a rattled but not devastated country. So far, 12 people have been reported as injured by the quake, which also caused 5 fires and disrupted high-speed trains, reports the New York Times.

z0sa
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Anthropogenic Global Quaking

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Anthropogenic Global Quaking

Oh. I wouldn't doubt that people are trying to spin it that way.

Drachen
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
My knowledge of plate techtonics is limited to what I learned in public school and the history channel, but I would think that this should be expected. If you have many pieces of the same object under extreme pressure and you disturb one area of it, wouldn't one expect the other parts to slip??

JudynTX
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
They come in 3's.

Drachen
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
They come in 3's.

:lol