PDA

View Full Version : Toros call up for 13th Roster Spot [Any Word?]

BadOne
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Not that I expect Pop to play whoever they get from the Toros call up, however til when do the Spurs have to fill the 13th roster spot? I haven't heard any news or rumors about anyone in Austin getting the call up to the Spurs. :huh

-BADONE

xellos88330
03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I think they have a little less than 2 weeks now.

BadOne
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I think they have a little less than 2 weeks now.

Wow, didn't think they had that much time. I'm sure its not a priority for the FO at this point, so I won't be surprised to see them wait till the last minute, which only solidifes that whoever gets the call up, will just be a placeholder with no playing time.

Thanks for the update man.

-BADONE

The Truth #6
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
If they can save money by waiting, then they'll wait.

BadOne
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
If they can save money by waiting, then they'll wait.

Very true...I never looked at it that way. :toast

spursfaninla
03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
also, there is little indication they would use that 13th man. as it is, Ian and Hairston rarely see the floor.

Likely is that the new addition never even comes up, or stays up for the minimum time without contributing or even suiting up.

exstatic
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
It doesn't actually have to be a Toro. They can sign anyone from the d-league to an NBA contract to be #13 on our roster, then assign them to the Toros for the rest of the year. If, after the look-see this year they don't like the player, they go back to their old d-league club next season.

jjktkk
03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm guessing the Spurs will bring in Dwayne Jones, but would love to hear anyone more connected to the D-league, who can throw out some names the Spurs might be interested in.

FeZZy
03-05-2010, 03:27 AM
JONES! who DWAYNE JONES!

jjktkk
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
JONES! who DWAYNE JONES!

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/dwayne_jones/index.html?nav=page

xellos88330
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/dwayne_jones/index.html?nav=page

those are some pretty monster stats

dbestpro
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Jones is 6-11, 250 pounds. Got the size to get the job done. As most centers are slugs anyway this guy could be productive at the next level. Maybe he could be like Bowen (career progression) at center. Would love to see him get a chance, even if Ian will not, because size matters.

silverblackfan
03-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Jones is 6-11, 250 pounds. Got the size to get the job done. As most centers are slugs anyway this guy could be productive at the next level. Maybe he could be like Bowen (career progression) at center. Would love to see him get a chance, even if Ian will not, because size matters.

I agree, if you are planning on letting Ian walk and want some cheap talent to evaluate. Practice fodder at this stage unless they send him down to the Toros.

BadOne
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM

He played for the Spurs in the preseason. Didn't make too much noise, however like many S.A. prospects, perhaps he wasn't given a serious chance. I know that he leads the D-League in rebounding, however whether or not that would carry over to the NBA level remains to be seen. Although, I'm sure people thought the same of DeJuan Blair's rebounding at Pitt. The Mavs took a look at Dwayne Jones, I heard, but ended up signing Von Wafer.

Johnny RIngo
03-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Don't get your hopes up. Ian is a better player than Jones and even he can't crack the rotation.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Jones is a better rebounder than Ian and stronger. Ian is better at pretty much everything else.

FeZZy
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Jones plays like 45 min a game in the dleague don't expect those numbers here

ChumpDumper
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing the Spurs will bring in Dwayne Jones, but would love to hear anyone more connected to the D-league, who can throw out some names the Spurs might be interested in.Jones, Gee or Jerrells from the Toros are candidates for call ups. There have been a flurry of signings lately so the pickings have gotten a bit slim elsewhere.

Morris Almond is probably the best offensive player left, though his defense is nonexistent. The other good guards left are retreads like Romel Beck and Desmon Farmer.

Mustafa Shakur, Dontell Jefferson and Jeremy Wise are as good as Jerrells as point guard prospects if not better. It would make sense to sign one of these to audition for the third point guard spot next season. Curtis Stinson is a great floor leader but can't shoot at all.

Like Jones, most of the big men have serious deficiencies in their games. Brian Butch might be the best overall, but he's inconsistent. Greg Stiemsma is a great shot blocker but can't do anything else.