PDA

View Full Version : Yet another example of the Smartest.

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Diplomacy.Ever!

Hillary Clinton steps into Falklands row after 'feeble' Obama fails to back Britain in stand-off with Argentina (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253878/Falkland-Islands-oil-row-Hillary-Clinton-steps-Argentina-stand-off.html)

Yes, folks; we're in the best of hands.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Is the UK infallible and beyond reproach in your eyes, Yoni?

Yes or no.

George Gervin's Afro
03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Diplomacy.Ever!

Hillary Clinton steps into Falklands row after 'feeble' Obama fails to back Britain in stand-off with Argentina (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253878/Falkland-Islands-oil-row-Hillary-Clinton-steps-Argentina-stand-off.html)

Yes, folks; we're in the best of hands.

who cares?

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
who cares?
The British, for one. You know, our staunchest ally in many of our military excursions around the world.

Seems like this administration can't pass up an opportunity to piss them off.

George Gervin's Afro
03-04-2010, 10:25 PM
The British, for one. You know, our staunchest ally in many of our military excursions around the world.

Seems like this administration can't pass up an opportunity to piss them off.

Seriously, who cares? What is the UK going to do Yoni? Tell us wy we should be concerned about this tiff..

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
The British, for one. You know, our staunchest ally in many of our military excursions around the world.They were pretty stupid to be our zombie lap dogs.

Seems like this administration can't pass up an opportunity to piss them off.So what?

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Seriously, who cares? What is the UK going to do Yoni?
Think twice before they jump in and help?

Tell us wy we should be concerned about this tiff..
Just as when Russia invaded Georgia, it demonstrates a certain lack of understanding of geopolitics on the part of our President. That's why we should be concerned about this tiff.

That Obama would pretend that we should "mediate" over a matter of British sovereignty belies an ignorance that should worry you.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Think twice before they jump in and help?They should have last time.

Just as when Russia invaded Georgia, it demonstrates a certain lack of understanding of geopolitics on the part of our President. That's why we should be concerned about this tiff.Why? Your geopolitical theory is to suck British cock no matter what.

That Obama would pretend that we should "mediate" over a matter of British sovereignty belies an ignorance that should worry you.Not really. They can do this shit without us.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
The United States maintains official neutrality on the islands' sovereignty. Despite this, the US provided material aid and intelligence to the British during the Falklands War. The CIA World Factbook lists the islands as Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas); and Central Intelligence Agency maps state that the islands are administered by the United Kingdom and claimed by Argentina.

Considering that the US has always claimed a neutral position in this matter, it makes sense that they would offer themselves as mediators for the resolution of a diplomatic dispute...

Yoni, were you aware that the US never supported the British claim on the Islands?

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Considering that the US has always claimed a neutral position in this matter, it makes sense that they would offer themselves as mediators for the resolution of a diplomatic dispute...

Yoni, were you aware that the US never supported the British claim on the Islands?
Just the same, the Brits have responded; "No thanks." Actually, I don't think they were that kind in their response.

It's stupid for the administration to have even suggested mediation. If they are neutral, then shut the fuck up.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
It's stupid for the administration to have even suggested mediation. If they are neutral, then shut the fuck up.

Maybe you don't understand what mediation means? And a neutral party is exactly what you need to mediate.

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Maybe you don't understand what mediation means? And a neutral party is exactly what you need to mediate.
Maybe the United States should have known the British don't want them to "mediate" in this affair...as has been evidenced by their response to the suggestion.

A smart diplomat would have known this before making the offer.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe the United States should have known the British don't want them to "mediate" in this affair...as has been evidenced by their response to the suggestion.

A smart diplomat would have known this before making the offer.

No, a mediator offers a neutral forum to discuss if the parties want to.
If the Brits said, "No thanks", then that's the end of that and this is a non-issue...

For a moment I thought you were faking some sort of outrage because the US didn't support the UK's claim... my mistake I guess... :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
lol Yoni got owned.

Obama shouldn't offer to mediate a conflict between Argentina and the UK because that exactly what Reagan did!

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
After Argentina in April 1982 seized and occupied the Falkland Islands, which the United Kingdom claimed as a crown colony, the U.S. executive branch sought to mediate the dispute.

http://fpc.state.gov/6172.htm#President_as_Initiator

Why do you hate Reagan, Yoni?

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
No, a mediator offers a neutral forum to discuss if the parties want to.
If the Brits said, "No thanks", then that's the end of that and this is a non-issue...

For a moment I thought you were faking some sort of outrage because the US didn't support the UK's claim... my mistake I guess... :rolleyes
I'm saying, the United States President should have known his closest ally's position on the matter before making a public declaration on "mediation." If Obama had bothered to pick up the phone, I'm sure the Brits would have told him, don't bother.

It's stupid diplomacy. Period.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Reagan was stupid. Period.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm saying, the United States President should have known his closest ally's position on the matter before making a public declaration on "mediation." If Obama had bothered to pick up the phone, I'm sure the Brits would have told him, don't bother.

It's stupid diplomacy. Period.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Clinton already knew the Brits position, and she probably consulted with them before declaring that.

Offers of mediation happen all the time, and they're more of a symbolic gesture than anything. The fact that she was visiting Argentina during the current dispute in a part of the world where the Clintons in general are viewed with good eyes probably had everything to do with her saying that.

Then again, Reagan did the same thing after Argentina invaded and while he was helping the UK on the war. It's just the way it's always been in politics and diplomacy.

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh, I'm pretty sure Clinton already knew the Brits position, and she probably consulted with them before declaring that.

Offers of mediation happen all the time, and they're more of a symbolic gesture than anything. The fact that she was visiting Argentina during the current dispute in a part of the world where the Clintons in general are viewed with good eyes probably had everything to do with her saying that.

Then again, Reagan did the same thing after Argentina invaded and while he was helping the UK on the war. It's just the way it's always been in politics and diplomacy.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

His shooting himself in the foot on Georgia, Honduras, and now Britain doesn't give me a reason to think he's practicing smart diplomacy.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Worth repeating for Yoni.

After Argentina in April 1982 seized and occupied the Falkland Islands, which the United Kingdom claimed as a crown colony, the U.S. executive branch sought to mediate the dispute.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
But the Queen said No Thanks! :dramaquee

spursncowboys
03-04-2010, 11:32 PM
This makes perfect sense of Obama's policy of screwing our allies and appeasing our enemies.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
This makes perfect sense of Obama's policy of screwing our allies and appeasing our enemies.

That policy predates the Obama's administration. I gather you didn't even bother to read the thread?

Yonivore
03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
That policy predates the Obama's administration. I gather you didn't even bother to read the thread?
The policy of offering to mediate between Britain and Argentina over the Falkland Islands is about 2 days old.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Worth repeating for Yoni.

The policy of offering to mediate between Britain and Argentina over the Falkland Islands is about 2 days old.

Winehole23
03-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Four posts above his own.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2010, 04:56 AM
He probably has me on ignore. Might have saved him some embarrassment, but not much.
The policy of offering to mediate between Britain and Argentina over the Falkland Islands is about 2 days old.More like 28 years, but Yoni has been ignorant for longer than that.

boutons_deux
03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Spinning the anonymous "feeble" insult, pussyeater nips at the ankles of Magic Negro again.

What's pussyeater's suggestion for what Magic Negro should have done? As if Magic Negro's plate wasn't already full enough with real problems.

UK an ally? Countries only have interests, not allies.

Looks to me like the UK knows they were dead in the water in the Falklands War without US fuel and now some effete imperialist UK jingos (haven't seen any govt officials say anything, just the downmarket tabloid Daily Mail, which is sorta like the trashy NY Post) know they still need US fuel now if the UK wants to scare off the Argies again.

What's feeble is pussyeater's frustrated attempts to trash Magic Negro.

LnGrrrR
03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Perhaps that would reduce our involvement as a world peace-keeping force, which I would be happy for.

DAF86
03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I know this isn't what you're arguing about but I'm 23 years old and I've yet to hear a good explination as to why Britain has sovergnity over the Falkland Islands, if some of you can provide one please enlight me.

ElNono
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I know this isn't what you're arguing about but I'm 23 years old and I've yet to hear a good explination as to why Britain has sovergnity over the Falkland Islands, if some of you can provide one please enlight me.

The British claim the land as their own because they were the very first to set foot in them in 1690. Since there was no aboriginal population, it was basically unclaimed lands. Their position is that they never stopped claiming them as their own since then.

From there on out, there has been many claims, international laws passed, decolonization processes, etc. For a complete rundown check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty_of_the_Falkland_Islands).

George Gervin's Afro
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Too bad Bush didn't with Iraq..

spursncowboys
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
that isn't the same policy even though the countries are the same.

Winehole23
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Can't step in the same river twice?

True, but also trivial. We can keep our policy the same if we want to. Most likely, it won't poison England against us any more than our previous technical neutrality in a hot war.

panic giraffe
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Argentina is an enemy? since when?

spursncowboys
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Argentina is an enemy? since when?

:depressed

ChumpDumper
03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
that isn't the same policy even though the countries are the same.Please explain.

DAF86
03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
The British claim the land as their own because they were the very first to set foot in them in 1690. Since there was no aboriginal population, it was basically unclaimed lands. Their position is that they never stopped claiming them as their own since then.

From there on out, there has been many claims, international laws passed, decolonization processes, etc. For a complete rundown check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty_of_the_Falkland_Islands).

Thanks.