PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Kyle Singler

Bruno
03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kyle-singler-300x225.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 05/04/1988
College: Duke

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Singler-1071/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kyle-singler)

Greg Oden
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
He would be a really good fit in the Spurs' system.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Bonner replacement?

Just kidding...I know that Singler has much more to his game than being an unathletic shooter. From all the scouting reports he's an intelligent and unselfish player...very indicative of "Spurs material".

My problem is that he's a tweener in the absolute worst way. He's too slow to guard 3s on the perimeter but too small to guard 4s in the post. His limited athleticism is really going to hinder his ability to be a productive player on the NBA level.

I joked initially about him being a Bonner replacement, but if he can knock down his outside shots with regularity and help facilitate on offense from time to time, he could be a beneficial rotation piece.

I wouldn't want the Spurs to even consider this guy in the first round, but if he slides all the way to the mid-second, he's certainly worth a look.

mountainballer
03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Singler was a disaster last night against Baylor. but even ignoring that game I really can't see how this guy can ever play in the NBA. and on draft night he already will be 22. if he was 19 or 20, you could believe he will be able to add enough weight to somehow survive in the Bonner role.
Singler will become a decent Euro player in a mediocre league, he has some skills.
btw. DX sees his best case comparison in Mike Miller. huh? that's as wrong as wrong can be IMO.

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Going by gangly white guys with swingman size, I'd take Gordon Heyward of Butler over this guy.

Bruno
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Budinger is having a solid rookie season with Rockets. Isn't Singler a player who can do the same?

Mr. Body
03-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Budinger is much more athletic, IMO. And isn't a stoopid dookie.

TimDunkem
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
This guy is not an NBA player, or at least a player that will make any kind of impact.

I think he falls to the second round and eventually falls out of the league as well.

pad300
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
If he's available at 50, I'd think he's a strong option. He's not a superb NBA athlete, but he's smart (BBall IQ), gutsy (he will fight for rebounds and position), and skilled. I also think he's able to submerge his ego enough to become a role-player at the NBA level, which is something a lot of college kids have real trouble with.

mogrovejo
04-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Budinger is much more athletic, IMO. And isn't a stoopid dookie.

Is he more athletic? Or he just jumps higher? Budinger is pretty poor moving laterally and he lacks Singler motor and aggressiveness.

The advantage Budinger has over Singler is a better jumpshot. If Singler becomes a more consistent shooter he should be a good role-player in the NBA. Very smart and physical.

AFBlue
04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Going by gangly white guys with swingman size, I'd take Gordon Heyward of Butler over this guy.

+1

Hayward gets the label of an "unathletic white guy", but I've seen some very sneaky athleticism from him throughout this tourney. He also shows more advancement and range on his jumpshot.

Having said that, I think Singler is the more complete all-around player at this point. He has shown versatility (if not athleticism) and a superb understanding of the game.

I think it's possible that he slides into the second round, but he seems much better suited to go to a contender late in the first and settle into a nice bench role.

yavozerb
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Singler will be back at duke for his senior year, why would he come out early for a late 1st or early 2nd?

pad300
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Singler will be back at duke for his senior year, why would he come out early for a late 1st or early 2nd?

He's marginal anyway. If Duke wins it all, he might well try and ride being their best player into a late 1st round spot...

pad300
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
As a follow up, I'm betting he's in after winning it all. And there ain't no way he's falling to 50... To bad, really, we could use a guy like him.

scottspurs
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Hell NO to singler. he would easily be the worst draft pick ever.

mogrovejo
04-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I've read that the Spurs are in love with Singler - just can't remember where I did read it. Credible source though.

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2010, 02:50 AM
avoid white guys and players from duke...

yavozerb
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I would gladly take singler with a late 1st...Not going to find much better talent at this point of the draft and I think singler would be able to immediatly help as a reserve.

AFBlue
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Gotta give Singler credit for the way he played the last two games. After a disasterous performance against Baylor, Singler came out and shot the ball well, showing a nice stroke from beyond the 3pt line and looked like a credible defender.

I think he improved his stock to the point where he's a legit first round prospect because he was able to showcase it all during the tourney.

Having said that, I disagree with Yavozerb. With all the prospective talent in the draft at multiple positions, I think it's highly likely there's someone with more talent (raw or realized) available when the Spurs pick somewhere between 19 and 22.

DMX7
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Singler and Ginobili on the floor together would WEAR OUT other teams.

noob cake
04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Singler and Ginobili on the floor together would WEAR OUT other teams.

Very good comparison, Singler is a very much a SF version of Ginobili. He has an all-around game like Manu, high basketball IQ, average-ish athelecism, and is semi-clutch.

Mr. Body
04-13-2010, 01:50 AM
I hated to see him do well in the Final Four, but have to give him credit. He has a lot of talent and there's probably no one better to be had at 20. I can see him going earlier, though. Will the Dukie curse get to him?

yavozerb
04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5115934

Going back for his senior year...this sucks cause I think he was going to be around for the spurspick at 20..

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 02:29 AM
wow, that's a surprise. you always have to respect it, when a player, who has achieved everything possible in college BB and who would very likely be a 1st round pick, decides to finish school.
personally I think he will regret this (from a pro career point of view) the chance that his stock goes down next year is bigger than to stay the same or even rise.

for Duke this is great news. with Nolan Smith also returning, an expectable break out year from Mason Plumlee and the recruiting of one of the best PG prospects in the country they will be again top favorites for the NCAA title.

taps
04-20-2010, 02:49 AM
glad he's going back. With our luck the last 3 years we don't need to tempt fate by drafting a Dukie...

and I believe that sincerely