PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: Charles Garcia

Bruno
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/01/05/010510-Charles-Garcia-IA_20100105175918_0_0.JPG
Height: 6-10
Weight: 230 lbs
Birthday: 10/13/1988
College: Seattle

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Charles-Garcia-5800/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/charles-garcia)

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
DX has the spurs taking this kid at #49. Not that means anything but I figured id look him up since I've never heard of him.

Averaged close to 19pts and 8rbs in only 26 minutes in college though. might be a solid 2nd round option.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
You want to know something, there are players who are athletic and can ball and are really good. Their downfall is that they care more about basketball than school, they fail courses and it's hard to get those grades back up when the schools are looking for prospects to fill their teams. Just a brief look at his history shows that he has some academic question marks. But he is a 6'10" ball player who might be able to run the 3. His downside is that he played at Seattle University. That school isn't even NCAA tournament eligible yet. So why he isn't averaging 45 and 20 is a good question. Still a second round pick is worth almost nothing past 45 (unless you get a rare player like Manu). So why not work him out, he has an NBA body and might be willing to play a year in Europe.

Well now knowing that he had problems with grades and things make it a pretty slim chance we draft him. Spurs have always wanted high character intelligent players. He does have a nice NBA frame though, I'm sure someone will risk a pick on him.

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Well now knowing that he had problems with grades and things make it a pretty slim chance we draft him. Spurs have always wanted high character intelligent players. He does have a nice NBA frame though, I'm sure someone will risk a pick on him.

Steven Jackson was as dumb as a post, and he excelled in SA. The only thing the Spurs will care about is basketball IQ.

You may be right, Chamberlain. He could be that long three the Spurs have been coveting. He was a guard until his junior year in HS, then he grew seven inches. Seattle even had him bringing the ball up the floor.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Steven Jackson was as dumb as a post, and he excelled in SA. The only thing the Spurs will care about is basketball IQ.

You may be right, Chamberlain. He could be that long three the Spurs have been coveting. He was a guard until his junior year in HS, then he grew seven inches. Seattle even had him bringing the ball up the floor.

Exactly why he turned down a 3 year contract extension with us to sign a 1 year $1.1 million dollar deal with Atlanta. I'm sure Pop and co. took notes to stay away from those types.

and "The only thing the Spurs will care about is basketball IQ." couldn't be further from the truth.

ChuckD
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Exactly why he turned down a 3 year contract extension with us to sign a 1 year $1.1 million dollar deal with Atlanta. I'm sure Pop and co. took notes to stay away from those types.

They've gotten smarter since then. They lock players into non-guaranteed deals for longer periods, like 3-4 years. That situation was as much about Jack's agent as it was about him. And how dumb did it turn out to be, for him? Not dumb at all. He got two nice contracts out of his exposure in ATL.

and "The only thing the Spurs will care about is basketball IQ." couldn't be further from the truth.

I was strictly speaking about smarts, not overall personal issues. Obviously they want players with mental toughness and players who are "over themselves", but that covers a lot of ground. Even Pop has recently said that you don't have to be a choir boy to play in SA, that it was always a myth.

Cane
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Yea I'm not sure if the Spurs would want to draft a mentally questionable player however they did try and grab Rasheed Wallace who has plenty of negative qualities such as committing costly technicals and has been pretty lazy in recent regular seasons. Then again, Wallace has the talent and experience to back up those qualities.

DesignatedT
06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
rdRiLfs9OKQ

:stirpot:

For the record that wasn't a charge.

:wow

mountainballer
06-08-2010, 05:13 AM

really can't see this guy play SF in the NBA. maybe a Jamison type PF.
doesn't look like a Spurs type player anyhow. low IQ was referring to his basketball IQ. and he seems to be lazy on defense and not very coachable.

Bruno
06-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Garcia worked out for Spurs on June 2nd.

source (http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-nba-draft-workout-master-list)